Forums/Armchair-GM

Makar

Created by: SaskCanesFan
Team: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 17, 2021
Published: Jun. 18, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Can't imagine this would ever happen, but after seeing Makar offer sheeted in a different Armchair GM I wanted to take a stab at it. I can't find how many year contract would walk Makar directly to UFA so I just filled in 6 years, but if its different just sub that length like Montreal did to Aho. Should make it more tempting for the player and tougher for Sakic to match. At least that's the theory. EDIT: I think a 5 year deal does go direct to UFA even though this site doesn't show it that way.

Locks in a very solid top 4 defense for years to come. Could replace Skjei with someone better suited/cheaper but I don't have a specific name in mind right now. The third pairing is fine if not great, but they won't need to be relied on much anyways, could rotate some decent value bottom pairing guys in the roughly $1 million range.

I debated the Killorn/Foegele trade. Could revert that and then have either $3 million in cap space to bank, or to upgrade Foegele/McGinn/Martinook to a $4-5 million winger of your choosing. There's some decent options around the league.

This is defintely going all in, things will get tough cap wise within a year. Though if Nedeljkovic proves to be the real deal, Mrazek's deal is only for a year so you can walk away the next season and save $ on a cheaper backup.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,200,000
2$900,000
3$6,500,000
6$10,000,000
1$950,000
2$3,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,500,000
1$850,000
1$1,500,000
2$2,200,000
1$3,500,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Makar, Cale$12,000,000
2022 1st round pick
2023 1st round pick
2024 1st round pick
2025 1st round pick
Trades
CAR
    Expansion Draft Deal
    SEA
    1. Fast, Jesper
    2. Gardiner, Jake
    3. 2021 2nd round pick (CAR)
    CAR
    1. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
    2. 2022 3rd round pick (CBJ)
    TBL
    1. Foegele, Warren
    2. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$80,623,583$0$537,500$876,417
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    $8,460,250$8,460,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $725,000$725,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    C, RW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,025,000$4,025,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $850,000$850,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $950,000$950,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:02 p.m.
    KFTW
    Even if you offered 14 mill per, Colorado will still match
    Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:04 p.m.
    Quoting: csick
    Even if you offered 14 mill per, Colorado will still match

You're probably right. Just wanted to see what it looked like. They could have some cap trouble this offseason, though there's a lot of ways around that.
    SupremeOverlord14 liked this.
    Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:06 p.m.
    So the plan is to sign Hamilton to a full NMC/ntc contract and trade him???
    Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:07 p.m.
    Banned
    This falls into the category of doing Colorado a favor. They’re high fiving if he signs this deal. Try 7x15 if you want a chance of acquiring the player.

Sign and trades aren’t really a thing.
    Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:22 p.m.
    PULL A TAMPA IGNORE
    Quoting: Riley816
    So the plan is to sign Hamilton to a full NMC/ntc contract and trade him???

i'm guessing with him having permission to talk to others he worked this deal out with winn but Carolina has to do it for the 8 years
    SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jun. 18, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
    I doubt Hamilton goes to Winnipeg, though there are a couple of good museums downtown.🤷🏻‍♂️
    MisstheWhalers liked this.
    Jun. 18, 2021 at 10:49 p.m.
    Cool concept and Makar is one of my fav players outside of Carolina but can’t imagine there’s an offer sheet the Avs don’t match. Would make their life hell but they’d maneuver whatever they have to do to fit it in IMO.
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 2:30 p.m.
    Quoting: TheThunder
    i'm guessing with him having permission to talk to others he worked this deal out with winn but Carolina has to do it for the 8 years

Exactly this. And I know sign and trades aren't really a thing, but with Hamilton being given permission by the Canes to talk to other teams it opens up the possibility. They don't do most things in the conventional way.

Quoting: vikhodush
    Cool concept and Makar is one of my fav players outside of Carolina but can’t imagine there’s an offer sheet the Avs don’t match. Would make their life hell but they’d maneuver whatever they have to do to fit it in IMO.

I think you're right, it'd piss off Sakic and make things tougher for the Avs, but they'd likely move things around and match without too much thought. I just wanted to see what the concept would look like from the Canes side if for whatever reason Colorado couldn't/wouldn't do it. I thought it might be too big of a contract that would hurt the Canes elsewhere, but it kinda works out nicely.
    vikhodush liked this.
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 2:34 p.m.
    Quoting: CMcAvoy73
    This falls into the category of doing Colorado a favor. They’re high fiving if he signs this deal. Try 7x15 if you want a chance of acquiring the player.

Sign and trades aren’t really a thing.

You really think $10 million for 5-6 years is a contract that the Avs would be thrilled about? No way, I don't see it. They'd 99% match, sure, but if they are doing their own contract I'd pretty much guarantee lower AAV and more term.

And yes, I know sign and trades aren't really a thing. But the Canes gave Hamilton's camp permission to speak with other teams, and I think that was part of the motivation. Either Hamilton doesn't like the offers out there and comes back to the Canes with a lower $ mark, or else someone else agrees to a contract with him and gives up more in a trade to make it happen.
    Jun. 20, 2021 at 8:02 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: SaskCanesFan
    You really think $10 million for 5-6 years is a contract that the Avs would be thrilled about? No way, I don't see it. They'd 99% match, sure, but if they are doing their own contract I'd pretty much guarantee lower AAV and more term.

And yes, I know sign and trades aren't really a thing. But the Canes gave Hamilton's camp permission to speak with other teams, and I think that was part of the motivation. Either Hamilton doesn't like the offers out there and comes back to the Canes with a lower $ mark, or else someone else agrees to a contract with him and gives up more in a trade to make it happen.

It’s market value
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 12:24 p.m.
    It’s market value

Agree to disagree. I'd be willing to bet that the contract he signs with Colorado will be for either less AAV or more term than the one I posted. Probably both. Probably $8-9M for 7-8 years if he doesn't go with a bridge.
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 12:33 p.m.
    Banned
    Agree to disagree. I'd be willing to bet that the contract he signs with Colorado will be for either less AAV or more term than the one I posted. Probably both. Probably $8-9M for 7-8 years if he doesn't go with a bridge.

I hope you don’t place that bet with someone that will take your money. It’s a losing ticket.
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 12:59 p.m.
    I hope you don’t place that bet with someone that will take your money. It’s a losing ticket.

Sure thing, since there's so much precedent there. After all, the list of young D coming off ELC to sign a minimum year to go directly to UFA contract for $10 million includes..... Uh lets see, nobody? Yeah, nobody.

And that was even when the cap was rising instead of flat. But you think that's exactly what Colorado will be high fiving and rushing to do? If they're gonna agree to pay that kind of salary I guarantee they'll be buying out UFA years, teams don't willingly walk their young stars straight to UFA. No different than the Aho offer sheet a couple years ago, the Canes matched and were fine with the AAV. But there was a zero% chance they would have negotiated that contract on their own, they were pushing hard for 7-8 years of term.
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:08 p.m.
    Banned
    Sure thing, since there's so much precedent there. After all, the list of young D coming off ELC to sign a minimum year to go directly to UFA contract for $10 million includes..... Uh lets see, nobody? Yeah, nobody.

And that was even when the cap was rising instead of flat. But you think that's exactly what Colorado will be high fiving and rushing to do? If they're gonna agree to pay that kind of salary I guarantee they'll be buying out UFA years, teams don't willingly walk their young stars straight to UFA. No different than the Aho offer sheet a couple years ago, the Canes matched and were fine with the AAV. But there was a zero% chance they would have negotiated that contract on their own, they were pushing hard for 7-8 years of term.

There isn’t a ton of precedent for d men stepping into the league and being Norris caliber either. The last one that really sticks out is Doughty, who signed 7x7 when teh cap was 59.4 million. That’s 11.7% of the cap. Today’s dollars thats a smidge under 10. But wouldn’t you say we’ve seen a big of a re-set when it comes to the true superstars coming off their entry deals? McDavid got 12.5, Matthews got 11.6 for five years, and reportedly was asking for 13.8 on any 8 year deal. Marner for just under 11 for 6. Eichel got 10 right off his entry without really proving all that much. Rantanen got 9.25 without much of a fight. Chabot had a solid couple weeks and they threw 8x8 at him.

Think about that one. On the one hand, you’ve got Thomas Chabot. 8x8. You’re saying you think Makar lands at around 8-9 for a 7-8 year deal? Makar isn’t a smidge better than Chabot. He’s in a different category.

Also, Aho’s deal did buy out a year of UFA. As did Matthews, as did Crosby’s and Kanes and Toews etc. Is Makar 10.2 (C)? If he is, you’re right about the 5 year term not being a thing. It would have to minimum 6 or a bridge.
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:50 p.m.
    There isn’t a ton of precedent for d men stepping into the league and being Norris caliber either. The last one that really sticks out is Doughty, who signed 7x7 when teh cap was 59.4 million. That’s 11.7% of the cap. Today’s dollars thats a smidge under 10. But wouldn’t you say we’ve seen a big of a re-set when it comes to the true superstars coming off their entry deals? McDavid got 12.5, Matthews got 11.6 for five years, and reportedly was asking for 13.8 on any 8 year deal. Marner for just under 11 for 6. Eichel got 10 right off his entry without really proving all that much. Rantanen got 9.25 without much of a fight. Chabot had a solid couple weeks and they threw 8x8 at him.

Think about that one. On the one hand, you’ve got Thomas Chabot. 8x8. You’re saying you think Makar lands at around 8-9 for a 7-8 year deal? Makar isn’t a smidge better than Chabot. He’s in a different category.

I don't really disagree on the AAV, the more I look you might be right. I personally don't think Makar ends up quite with 8 figures, but you're right there has been a reset with young stars deals, and one of the contracts you mentioned was Rantanen so Colorado has already shown to be a part of the new market. The critical thing is the term. Most of those deals you mention were for max term, and at the very least all of them were buying multiple UFA years. The only slight exceptions were the Toronto deals - Matthews only has a single UFA year, but Marner again has two - and they've been universally panned instead of followed by other teams since. No team has signed a deal like that for RFA years only. I had 6 years in on the original proposal here, but with a little more looking I believe its actually a 5 year deal that would take Makar straight to UFA without buying any of those years, so I should edit that. There's no chance Colorado wants a 5 year term. Like the Canes with Aho, they'd undoubtedly match and move on, but they won't be high fiving about getting the minimum number of team controlled years possible under the CBA. That would sting a bit.
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
    Banned
    I don't really disagree on the AAV, the more I look you might be right. I personally don't think Makar ends up quite with 8 figures, but you're right there has been a reset with young stars deals, and one of the contracts you mentioned was Rantanen so Colorado has already shown to be a part of the new market. The critical thing is the term. Most of those deals you mention were for max term, and at the very least all of them were buying multiple UFA years. The only slight exceptions were the Toronto deals - Matthews only has a single UFA year, but Marner again has two - and they've been universally panned instead of followed by other teams since. No team has signed a deal like that for RFA years only. I had 6 years in on the original proposal here, but with a little more looking I believe its actually a 5 year deal that would take Makar straight to UFA without buying any of those years, so I should edit that. There's no chance Colorado wants a 5 year term. Like the Canes with Aho, they'd undoubtedly match and move on, but they won't be high fiving about getting the minimum number of team controlled years possible under the CBA. That would sting a bit.

Makar is indeed a 10.2C, so 5 years doesn’t buy out any UFA years. Aho was not, so 5 years at least bought out one UFA year. I think Makar is in an awkward spot that frequently happens with 10.2C guys. Maybe they got he McAvoy route, and give him a 3 year deal, but I do think max term is a 10 million + deal. There jsut really aren’t many Norris candidates coming off an entry deal to compare him to.
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
    Makar is indeed a 10.2C, so 5 years doesn’t buy out any UFA years. Aho was not, so 5 years at least bought out one UFA year. I think Makar is in an awkward spot that frequently happens with 10.2C guys. Maybe they got he McAvoy route, and give him a 3 year deal, but I do think max term is a 10 million + deal. There jsut really aren’t many Norris candidates coming off an entry deal to compare him to.

Yeah on max term I could see a $10 million+ AAV the more I look at it. But I think the important thing for Colorado in that case is the term, they're either gonna want a short bridge like McAvoy, or else 7+ years. I don't think there's any reason for the Avs to be wanting a 5 year term.

But if he's 10.2C he can't sign an offer sheet anyways so I guess this whole thing is pointless?
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 5:04 p.m.
    Banned
    Yeah on max term I could see a $10 million+ AAV the more I look at it. But I think the important thing for Colorado in that case is the term, they're either gonna want a short bridge like McAvoy, or else 7+ years. I don't think there's any reason for the Avs to be wanting a 5 year term.

But if he's 10.2C he can't sign an offer sheet anyways so I guess this whole thing is pointless?

Correct. He can’t sign an offer sheet haha. But its still a fun discussion. I think 10.2C comes into negotiations in a big way for bridge deals, and not so much for close to max term.
    Jun. 21, 2021 at 7:17 p.m.
    Correct. He can’t sign an offer sheet haha. But its still a fun discussion. I think 10.2C comes into negotiations in a big way for bridge deals, and not so much for close to max term.

Well damn, I wish you would have led with that lol. Yeah it'll be interesting to see how that may impact his negotiation, and whether they decide to go long term or not.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll