Forums/Armchair-GM

ATTN LEAFS FANS - STOP THE REILLY TRADES

Created by: Mr_Gardoki
Team: 2021-22 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 19, 2021
Published: Jun. 20, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I guess some bogus rumor came out that the Pens would be in on Reilly.

1) Hextall has made it clear he's not trading any major picks or prospects unless it's a deal that's too good to pass up, and one year of Reilly is not worth a 1st or major prospect for one year for the Penguins.

2) Below is the Pens situation if they're lucky enough for Seattle to take Zucker, which isn't to say Zucker can't be moved or is bad, it's just a large contract the Pens can take right off the books. In this scenario the Pens still have to sign two forwards and leave room for the likes of Poulin if he's ready or another 13th forward, which will cost MORE than the $3.2M that's freed up.

3) The Pens have FIVE left-handed defenseman and need to move one of Pettersson or Matheson just to make more room for the Pens to fill out the line up with the bare minimum and bring in one more right-handed dman. Ruhwedel and Freidman won't be starting dmen.

4) Goaltending is the other major priority for the Pens. Not dmen and especially not dmen the Pens have a logjam of.

JUST STOP
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
3$2,000,000
3$2,250,000
3$800,000
Trades
PIT
    Expansion
    SEA
    1. Zucker, Jason
    Additional Details:
    Expansion
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$76,781,539$0$212,500$4,718,461
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,940,000$2,940,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,636,364$2,636,364
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 8:05 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: aadoyle
    Its either Matheson or Petterson and if Penguins lose Petterson for nothing then this organization aint right

If you think they are gonna give up Zucker after losing arguably a 1st for him then that aint smart thinking

Dude, you again proved in the last thread you are sooo beyond clueless in regards to the Pens. You know nothing.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 8:10 p.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
    Dude, you again proved in the last thread you are sooo beyond clueless in regards to the Pens. You know nothing.

If the penguins go with a protection list this is who they are protecting

Crosby
    Malkin
    Rust
    Zucker
    Kapenan
    Mccann
    Carter

Doumelin
    Letang
    Marino

Jarry

so of the available player only 3 are worth a look

Matheson
    Petterson
    Desmith

Zucker aint getting exposed. Penguins gave up 1st and solid B prospect for him so they aint moving him for nothing
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
    Banned
    If the penguins go with a protection list this is who they are protecting

Crosby
    Malkin
    Rust
    Zucker
    Kapenan
    Mccann
    Carter

Doumelin
    Letang
    Marino

Jarry

Matheson
    Petterson
    Desmith

Zucker aint getting exposed. Penguins gave up 1st and solid B prospect for him so they aint moving him for nothing

Dude. Just stop. You're making yourself look more clueless with every post.

Marino is exempt which I'd expect you to know if you knew as much about the Pens as you claim to.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 8:24 p.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Edited Jun. 22, 2021 at 8:29 p.m.
    @PENSFAN89
    @PHARROW
    @PENS3LIEVE

Crosby
    Malkin
    Rust
    Zucker
    Kapenan
    Guentzel
    Carter

Doumelin
    Letang
    Petterson

Jarry

so of the available player only 2 are worth a look

Matheson
    Desmith

so yall agree with this protection list or do you think Hextall gives Zucker away for nothing after paying a 1st and Addision for him.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 8:25 p.m.
    Banned
    @PENSFAN89
    @PHARROW
    @PENS3LIEVE

Crosby
    Malkin
    Rust
    Zucker
    Kapenan
    Mccann
    Carter

Doumelin
    Letang
    Marino

Jarry

Matheson
    Petterson
    Desmith

so yall agree with this protection list or do you think Hextall gives Zucker away for nothing after paying a 1st and Addision for him.

MARINO IS EXEMPT
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 8:30 p.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    MARINO IS EXEMPT

even so replace Marino with Petterson and Zucker still aint exposed leaving

Matheson
    Desmith
    Mccann

as Seattles targets

with Hextall probs planning to have Seattle take Matheson via throwing in a pick or low tier prospect thats the smart choice
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 8:32 p.m.
    Banned

Matheson
    Desmith
    Mccann

as Seattles targets

with Hextall probs planning to have Seattle take Matheson via throwing in a pick or low tier prospect thats the smart choice

Just stop.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 1:58 a.m.
    Banned
    PENSFAN89
    PHARROW
    PENS3LIEVE

Crosby
    Malkin
    Rust
    Zucker
    Kapenan
    Guentzel
    Carter

Doumelin
    Letang
    Petterson

Jarry

Matheson
    Desmith

They aren't gonna protect Carter. Nor would Seattle take him.
    They will protect Blueger.

I think Seattle will have a choice of either McCann or Zucker. I don't know which they will protect. I honestly think zucker is the better player. That doesn't always mean it shows, especially in a year he's had injuries.

But I think the conversation is sort of useless. I honestly believe the deal is already made. It's not like these are guys who don't know each other. Mario and Ron go way back.
    Teams work this out so they can have certainty going forward, which is what lets them made trades like the Carter trade without having to worry about it's effects. You don't make a trade like that if you don't know that you can keep him.

They did the same thing MAF. Teams cut deals early.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 2:00 a.m.
    @PENSFAN89
    @PHARROW
    @PENS3LIEVE

Crosby
    Malkin
    Rust
    Zucker
    Kapenan
    Guentzel
    Carter

Doumelin
    Letang
    Petterson

Jarry

Matheson
    Desmith

The thing is, Hextall didn’t give up anything for Zucker. GMJR did. I don’t think Hextall has any loyalty to him. Unless they can get the coach to agree to put Zucker with Sid and Jake with Geno then I could totally see Zucker going. They understand they will lose a pretty good player that they’d rather not. From your protection list there is a lot of players to look at. Tanev, ZAR, Blueger, and DeSmith are all more likely options than Matheson. I think the protection list is…
    Crosby, Malkin, Jake, rust, kappy, McCann, Blueger, Letang, Dumo, Pettersson, and Jarry.
    I don’t think you need to protect Carter as his age will protect him and he could just say he will retire if selected which will protect him. Which he has said before that if the kings were to trade him then he’d retire. The main reason he came to Pittsburgh was because of Hexy and Hexy needed a month to convince him. The main benefit of Zucker being selected for nothing is the cap space. It’d be hard to find a team to take Zucker in a flat cap world and pay what he is worth anyway. And the pens don’t have the cap space to keep him.
    Rurik766 liked this.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 2:01 a.m.

Matheson
    Desmith
    Mccann

as Seattles targets

Hexy & Burke both said they aren’t trading Seattle anything to take a player. They know they will lose a good player and just deal with it.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 2:27 a.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Edited Jun. 23, 2021 at 2:34 a.m.
    Quoting: pharrow
    They aren't gonna protect Carter. Nor would Seattle take him.
    They will protect Blueger.

I think Seattle will have a choice of either McCann or Zucker. I don't know which they will protect. I honestly think zucker is the better player. That doesn't always mean it shows, especially in a year he's had injuries.

But I think the conversation is sort of useless. I honestly believe the deal is already made. It's not like these are guys who don't know each other. Mario and Ron go way back.
    Teams work this out so they can have certainty going forward, which is what lets them made trades like the Carter trade without having to worry about it's effects. You don't make a trade like that if you don't know that you can keep him.

They did the same thing MAF. Teams cut deals early.

Yeah I think it's either McCann or bleuger as the final guy protected

In general for sure Burke's gotta deal in place for them to take matheson whether is sending a pick or prospect it's for the best we get rid of him
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 2:27 a.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Quoting: Pensfan89
    The thing is, Hextall didn’t give up anything for Zucker. GMJR did. I don’t think Hextall has any loyalty to him. Unless they can get the coach to agree to put Zucker with Sid and Jake with Geno then I could totally see Zucker going. They understand they will lose a pretty good player that they’d rather not. From your protection list there is a lot of players to look at. Tanev, ZAR, Blueger, and DeSmith are all more likely options than Matheson. I think the protection list is…
    Crosby, Malkin, Jake, rust, kappy, McCann, Blueger, Letang, Dumo, Pettersson, and Jarry.
    I don’t think you need to protect Carter as his age will protect him and he could just say he will retire if selected which will protect him. Which he has said before that if the kings were to trade him then he’d retire. The main reason he came to Pittsburgh was because of Hexy and Hexy needed a month to convince him. The main benefit of Zucker being selected for nothing is the cap space. It’d be hard to find a team to take Zucker in a flat cap world and pay what he is worth anyway. And the pens don’t have the cap space to keep him.

Tanev no that contracts terrible
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 10:12 a.m.
    PENSFAN89
    PHARROW
    PENS3LIEVE

Crosby
    Malkin
    Rust
    Zucker
    Kapenan
    Guentzel
    Carter

Doumelin
    Letang
    Petterson

Jarry

Matheson
    Desmith

Hextall doesn't give a crap about what JR paid for Zucker. When Hextall came in, he should have been given a clean slate, where what the previous management paid for players didn't matter. The fact is the Pens can't afford Zucker, Matheson and Petterson. Zucker shouldn't be protected and Seattle will take one of these three. Pitt would have to pay for Seattle to take Matheson. Petterson probably has the best trade value as his contract doesn't look as bloated as Zuckers and top 4 LD are in slightly higher demand than a top 6 wing. Because of this and because Pitt doesn't really have anyone else to protect, I assume that they protect Petterson in that 3rd D spot and then trade him this summer. Or trade him before for someone that is exempt. The bigger question is whether Seattle would consider any of the BART line over Zucker, but the Pens will protect one of the three (hopefully Blueger).
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 12:21 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Rurik766
    Hextall doesn't give a crap about what JR paid for Zucker. When Hextall came in, he should have been given a clean slate, where what the previous management paid for players didn't matter. The fact is the Pens can't afford Zucker, Matheson and Petterson. Zucker shouldn't be protected and Seattle will take one of these three. Pitt would have to pay for Seattle to take Matheson. Petterson probably has the best trade value as his contract doesn't look as bloated as Zuckers and top 4 LD are in slightly higher demand than a top 6 wing. Because of this and because Pitt doesn't really have anyone else to protect, I assume that they protect Petterson in that 3rd D spot and then trade him this summer. Or trade him before for someone that is exempt. The bigger question is whether Seattle would consider any of the BART line over Zucker, but the Pens will protect one of the three (hopefully Blueger).

No no, you don't get it. That guy watches the Pens all the time. He's an expert on all things Penguins! lol
    Rurik766 liked this.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 7:51 p.m.
    Tanev no that contracts terrible

Not really. Matheson’s contract is much worse. So if he is worth looking at then Tanev absolutely is. Tanev brings exactly what teams are looking for. A gritty player that plays with speed and that has a little bit of scoring capability. Is he slightly overpaid? Sure but Matheson is massively overpaid. He is a 3rd pair d that should play sheltered roles.
    Mr_Gardoki liked this.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 7:52 p.m.
    Banned
    Not really. Matheson’s contract is much worse. So if he is worth looking at then Tanev absolutely is. Tanev brings exactly what teams are looking for. A gritty player that plays with speed and that has a little bit of scoring capability. Is he slightly overpaid? Sure but Matheson is massively overpaid. He is a 3rd pair d that should play sheltered roles.

The Pens are stuck with Matheson. He's not going anywhere and Seattle is not taking him.
    Pensfan89 liked this.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 7:54 p.m.
    The Pens are stuck with Matheson. He's not going anywhere and Seattle is not taking him.

Agreed
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 7:59 p.m.
    Banned
    Agreed

The Pens are definitely protecting the following forwards: Sid, Geno, Kap, Rust, Jake and McCann.
    The Pens are definitely protecting the following dmen: Dumoulin and Letang.

I believe they expose Carter because there's really no incentive or logical reasoning for Seattle to take Carter.
    Zucker, ZAR and Tanev will be available and I think they either take Zucker or ZAR if they choose a forward.

I believe likely protect Pettersson, expose Matheson, but I won't be shocked if they protect either Riikola, Ruhwedel or Friedman which on the surface seems crazy and counterintuitive, but if they want to try and move salary off the books in a hurry, they will do it.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
    The Pens are definitely protecting the following forwards: Sid, Geno, Kap, Rust, Jake and McCann.
    The Pens are definitely protecting the following dmen: Dumoulin and Letang.

I believe they expose Carter because there's really no incentive or logical reasoning for Seattle to take Carter.
    Zucker, ZAR and Tanev will be available and I think they either take Zucker or ZAR if they choose a forward.

I believe likely protect Pettersson, expose Matheson, but I won't be shocked if they protect either Riikola, Ruhwedel or Friedman which on the surface seems crazy and counterintuitive, but if they want to try and move salary off the books in a hurry, they will do it.

Yeah they won’t protect Carter. He’s too old and would make sense for Seattle to take without payment. Matheson’s contract protects him. I think they protect Pettersson. The pens are going to leave multiple good forwards that will be worth picking over Riikola/Ruh/Friedman. After the expansion draft Petty should be easy to move. Some teams are going to lose some pretty solid dmen that will need replacing and what better than a young top 4 d that has potential for improvement.
    Mr_Gardoki liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll