Forums/Armchair-GM

Possible OEL Destinations

Created by: desertdog111
Team: 2021-22 Arizona Coyotes
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 20, 2021
Published: Jun. 20, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
OEL has decided to open up his trade talks again, allowing Armstrong to talk to any team about a deal. Here are some possible trade destinations and returns. Deals roughly ranked in order of most likely to least likely
Trades
ARI
  1. DeBrusk, Jake
  2. Moore, John
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Debrusk wants out, Moore is basically dead cap, Boston gets a LD to play with Carlo. 3rd can be switched out for the less desirable of Lauzon and Zboril
ARI
  1. Eriksson, Loui
  2. Ferland, Micheal
  3. Woo, Jett
  4. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
Arizona buys out Eriksson.
VAN
    OEL
    ARI
    1. Kassian, Zack
    2. Lavoie, Raphael
    3. Neal, James
    4. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
    Additional Details:
    Reunited with Tippett, for a massive cap relief for EDM. Deal is only done if Klefbom is hurt indefinitely.
    EDM
      OEL
      ARI
      1. Kreider, Chris
      Additional Details:
      Hockey trade, retain on OEL’s contract to make them even money. I don’t think this is a likely trade
      NYR
        OEL
        ARI
        1. Saarela, Aleksi [Reserve List]
        2. Strålman, Anton
        3. 2022 3rd round pick (FLA)
        Additional Details:
        I don’t know much about the Panthers prospect pool but add a low level prospect of some kind
        FLA
          OEL
          ARI
          1. Jensen, Nick
          2. Kuznetsov, Evgeny
          Additional Details:
          Again I’m not sure how likely this is but this is a home run for the Coyotes. 2 guys in need of a change of scenery. Jensen can be switched for TVR, Kempney, whatever defenseman Washington wants least.
          WSH
            OEL
            Buyouts
            DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the CBJ
            Logo of the VAN
            Logo of the BOS
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the PIT
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the EDM
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the FLA
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            Logo of the ARI
            ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
            23$81,500,000$80,144,450$196,951$182,500$1,355,550
            Left WingCentreRight Wing
            Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
            $1,533,333$1,533,333
            LW, RW
            UFA - 1
            $5,850,000$5,850,000
            RW, C
            UFA - 5
            $7,150,000$7,150,000
            LW, RW
            UFA - 7
            $4,450,000$4,450,000
            C
            UFA - 4
            $6,800,000$6,800,000
            RW
            M-NTC, NMC
            UFA - 1
            $700,000$700,000
            C, LW
            UFA - 1
            $1,750,000$1,750,000
            RW
            UFA - 1
            Logo of the Boston Bruins
            $3,675,000$3,675,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 1
            $1,000,000$1,000,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 1
            Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
            $6,000,000$6,000,000
            LW, RW
            M-NTC
            UFA - 1
            Logo of the Washington Capitals
            $3,900,000$3,900,000
            C
            M-NTC
            UFA - 4
            Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
            $3,200,000$3,200,000
            RW
            UFA - 3
            $3,500,000$3,500,000
            LW, RW
            M-NTC
            UFA - 2
            $750,000$750,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 1
            Logo of the New York Rangers
            $6,500,000$6,500,000
            LW
            NMC
            UFA - 6
            $870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
            RW, C
            RFA - 2
            Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
            $1,350,000$1,350,000
            RD
            UFA - 1
            $3,500,000$3,500,000
            G
            UFA - 1
            $4,600,000$4,600,000
            LD/RD
            UFA - 4
            Logo of the Boston Bruins
            $2,750,000$2,750,000
            LD
            UFA - 2
            $860,833$860,833 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
            RD
            RFA - 2
            Logo of the Florida Panthers
            $5,500,000$5,500,000
            RD
            M-NTC
            UFA - 1
            Logo of the Washington Capitals
            $2,500,000$2,500,000
            RD
            UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
            • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
            Quoting: Gofnut999
            I doubt it.

Like I said Debrusk 1st 3 years going into arb. .592 ppg. Garland .585.

Nobody was ever giving Boston a 1st and 2 top prospects for him. Doubt anyone will for Garland either. It’s wishful thinking.

If you want Boston to take on OEL without sending Garland as incentive…tall task.

That’s fine, when Garland’s name is entered into the OEL trade discussion, the Coyotes hang up. They will be able to find a way to get rid of OEL without giving up their most valuable player.

The difference between Debrusk’s and Garland’s production is that Debrusk was the beneficiary of playing with other good players. That was shown a bit this year when his quality of line mate decreased. Nothing wrong with that, but teams aren’t going to pay the price mentioned above for a complementary player like that. Garland is creating all of his own offense with very limited help. There are teams that will pay that price for a player like that. But again I think it’s a moot point because I don’t think he will be traded.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
            Rangers deal… if they move on from CK, okay but I don’t think taking OEL would be wise and idk if CK waives for AZ.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:29 p.m.
            Quoting: Campabee
            Montreal could be a possibility as well if the deal were to be something like Chiarot + Byron + 2022 1st + Norlinder + 3rd for OEL + 3rd or something similar. Are would have to take cap back (but still get 2 useful players) and also get a 1st and a prospect with an equal high ceiling

Drop the 1st coming from MTL and I think there’s a deal to be made there. OEL is not worth a first anymore. If there’s cap filler involved to make the money work I’d do it with that base
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:30 p.m.
            Quoting: desertdog111
            Drop the 1st coming from MTL and I think there’s a deal to be made there. OEL is not worth a first anymore. If there’s cap filler involved to make the money work I’d do it with that base

Done deal IMO
            desertdog111 liked this.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:31 p.m.
            Quoting: Campabee
            Done deal IMO

Actually I think that saves Arizona like 1 mil or so
            Edit let me di up a proposal to check
            desertdog111 liked this.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.
            Quoting: CMcAvoy73
            You realize that can happen and I can still be justified in my opinion, right?

It’s not an issue with the player, its an issue with the contract. He’s a 3-4 million dollar guy getting paid 8.25 for the next five years. Get it? This isn’t rocket science.

I’m still gonna take my victory lap haha. My biggest pet peeve about this site is how much people’s opinion of value changes over the course of one season. Your opinion would still be justified because it is somewhat of a gamble, but in my opinion it’s a worthwhile gamble for a team like the Bruins who are towards the end of their cup/playoff window.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
            Quoting: Philu916
            Rangers deal… if they move on from CK, okay but I don’t think taking OEL would be wise and idk if CK waives for AZ.

In my opinion the Rangers deal is the most evenly matched in terms of money, term, and need. But with the amount of D prospects they have coming through the system it’s questionable whether they want to do it or not which is understandable. Guess it comes down to how the Rangers view their guys internally. I wonder if the coyotes added a small sweetener (Crouse?) if that would make the deal worth the risk for the Rangers
            Philu916 liked this.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:37 p.m.
            Banned
            I’m still gonna take my victory lap haha. My biggest pet peeve about this site is how much people’s opinion of value changes over the course of one season. Your opinion would still be justified because it is somewhat of a gamble, but in my opinion it’s a worthwhile gamble for a team like the Bruins who are towards the end of their cup/playoff window.

Where does he play? You can make an argument for another team, but where on earth would he play on the bruins? First pair? Not good enough. Second pair? Grzelcyk already does that job. OEL wouldn’t get any powerplay time in boston. Just a horrible fit.

My opinion on OEL hasn’t changed over the last year. I thought when he signed that contract it was bad news.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
            That’s fine, when Garland’s name is entered into the OEL trade discussion, the Coyotes hang up. They will be able to find a way to get rid of OEL without giving up their most valuable player.

The difference between Debrusk’s and Garland’s production is that Debrusk was the beneficiary of playing with other good players. That was shown a bit this year when his quality of line mate decreased. Nothing wrong with that, but teams aren’t going to pay the price mentioned above for a complementary player like that. Garland is creating all of his own offense with very limited help. There are teams that will pay that price for a player like that. But again I think it’s a moot point because I don’t think he will be traded.

That’s debatable. His first 3 years in the league he played with Krejci and no RW. He wasn’t on the ice with Pasta, Bergy, Marchy.

I agree Zona should never use Garland to move OEL. But that’s about the only way i’d take OEL. 🤷🏻‍♂️
            desertdog111 liked this.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
            Where does he play? You can make an argument for another team, but where on earth would he play on the bruins? First pair? Not good enough. Second pair? Grzelcyk already does that job. OEL wouldn’t get any powerplay time in boston. Just a horrible fit.

My opinion on OEL hasn’t changed over the last year. I thought when he signed that contract it was bad news.

That’s revisionist history, there was no signs of this type of decline when he signed the deal with the coyotes, in fact I remember thinking it was a solid deal because they got him for under what I think he would have commanded on the open market. His use over the last couple of years by Tocchet has been borderline criminal and his numbers have certainly showed it.

If I’m the Bruins I’d pair him with Carlo and let him play offense while Carlo stays at home. I realize that’s kind of Grzelcyk does already but you can start him on the first pair and if OEL shows signs of a breakout you can move him up with McAvoy. Like I said it’s a gamble but if I’m Boston and can make the money work and get him for a reasonable price I’d do it
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
            Banned
            That’s revisionist history, there was no signs of this type of decline when he signed the deal with the coyotes, in fact I remember thinking it was a solid deal because they got him for under what I think he would have commanded on the open market. His use over the last couple of years by Tocchet has been borderline criminal and his numbers have certainly showed it.

If I’m the Bruins I’d pair him with Carlo and let him play offense while Carlo stays at home. I realize that’s kind of Grzelcyk does already but you can start him on the first pair and if OEL shows signs of a breakout you can move him up with McAvoy. Like I said it’s a gamble but if I’m Boston and can make the money work and get him for a reasonable price I’d do it

Making the money work starts with 50% retention. The bruins are likely going to have to pay mcavoy 10 or 11 after next season.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
            In my opinion the Rangers deal is the most evenly matched in terms of money, term, and need. But with the amount of D prospects they have coming through the system it’s questionable whether they want to do it or not which is understandable. Guess it comes down to how the Rangers view their guys internally. I wonder if the coyotes added a small sweetener (Crouse?) if that would make the deal worth the risk for the Rangers

Thing is, yes they do have a lot of D prospects but they have to pay Fox soon so if they were to trade Trouba at some point, they’d still have OEL contract on the books which can make things difficult.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:48 p.m.
            That’s debatable. His first 3 years in the league he played with Krejci and no RW. He wasn’t on the ice with Pasta, Bergy, Marchy.

I agree Zona should never use Garland to move OEL. But that’s about the only way i’d take OEL. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Krejci with no RW is still better than Schmaltz and Crouse haha. Even just the eye test I’d say Garland is the better player regardless of the stats. I can see why Boston would at least ask for the hometown kid but it would be criminal for the Coyotes to agree to that. In my opinion give Garland to the Bruins and you can just hand them the cup next year
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:50 p.m.
            Making the money work starts with 50% retention. The bruins are likely going to have to pay mcavoy 10 or 11 after next season.

Okay, but 50% retention does not make the money work for Arizona. Takes 2 to tango. There will be teams who will take him for less retention and offer better packages than Moore and a second
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:51 p.m.
            Quoting: Philu916
            Thing is, yes they do have a lot of D prospects but they have to pay Fox soon so if they were to trade Trouba at some point, they’d still have OEL contract on the books which can make things difficult.

I agree, which is why I said that I don’t think the trade is likely to happen when I posted it. But if they have Kreider they have the same problem, just a question of whether they’d rather have Kreider taking playing time from the kids up front or OEL doing the same on the backend
            Philu916 liked this.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
            Banned
            Okay, but 50% retention does not make the money work for Arizona. Takes 2 to tango. There will be teams who will take him for less retention and offer better packages than Moore and a second

Which is why he makes zero sense for boston.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:54 p.m.
            Which is why he makes zero sense for boston.

Like I said, that’s fine. They have their pick of teams now that OEL has opened his trade list up. All I’m saying is that if I was Boston it would be worth considering. If it doesn’t work, so be it. Move on to the next team
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.
            Krejci with no RW is still better than Schmaltz and Crouse haha. Even just the eye test I’d say Garland is the better player regardless of the stats. I can see why Boston would at least ask for the hometown kid but it would be criminal for the Coyotes to agree to that. In my opinion give Garland to the Bruins and you can just hand them the cup next year

The fact that their goal totals match their assist totals show that neither have had much with them.

Well that is the goal..to win the cup. But Garland is not the difference between them winning or not. Their top 9 is fine. Keeping the D healthy so they are not playing with 5 3rd pair guys would help. Not playing an injured goalie would help too. They can’t bring in an LD1 but if they get a pair of LD2s one puck mover, one big nasty for about 6m combined. That would be a BIG help. Lol.
            desertdog111 liked this.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
            I agree, which is why I said that I don’t think the trade is likely to happen when I posted it. But if they have Kreider they have the same problem, just a question of whether they’d rather have Kreider taking playing time from the kids up front or OEL doing the same on the backend

CK at this point with Laf and Panarin is 3LW, and they can’t move him to RW to take playing time away from Kravtsov IF Buch is extended. A 3rd line w/ CK and Krav on the wings, any C can look very good. Also, on the other side of it, OEL hasn’t looked great as he’s gotten older so that’s a lot of $ to pay a 2/3rd pairing LD.
            desertdog111 liked this.
            Jun. 20, 2021 at 3:01 p.m.
            The fact that their goal totals match their assist totals show that neither have had much with them.

Well that is the goal..to win the cup. But Garland is not the difference between them winning or not. Their top 9 is fine. Keeping the D healthy so they are not playing with 5 3rd pair guys would help. Not playing an injured goalie would help too. They can’t bring in an LD1 but if they get a pair of LD2s one puck mover, one big nasty for about 6m combined. That would be a BIG help. Lol.

Yeah the end of the Islanders series was brutal for you guys. Anytime Jared Tinordi is playing for you in the playoffs it’s not a great sign for your chances lol. Health will be key but I think if they can find a way to upgrade over smith on RW they’re the favorites by far

To create a post please Login or Register
            Question:
            Options:
            Add Option
            Submit Poll