UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 22, 2021 at 3:48 p.m.
Banned
People can make all the jokes they want, and trust me, they will all laugh and flame you, but this is Edmonton's future. Maybe not this coming season, but it's coming lol
Jun. 22, 2021 at 3:54 p.m.
Let's assume for a minute McDavid wants a change of scenery, do you honestly think he's interested in moving a 3 hour drive south to a worse situation than he currently is in?
Gregzky liked this.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 3:55 p.m.
Quoting: Boomer125
Let's assume for a minute McDavid wants a change of scenery, do you honestly think he's interested in moving a 3 hour drive south to a worse situation than he currently is in?

He doesn't have a NMC smile
Jun. 22, 2021 at 3:58 p.m.
Quoting: desperados

You are correct, I think it kicks in after this season
Jun. 22, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.

I would pray Trevling can do much better moving Johnny Hockey
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
People can make all the jokes they want, and trust me, they will all laugh and flame you, but this is Edmonton's future. Maybe not this coming season, but it's coming lol

If it did come to this, it would be towards the end of his contract. And NMC or not, I can guarantee you Calgary would not be the destination. If McDavid does move on one day, 90% chance it's to the Eastern Conference.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:07 p.m.

Oh man, if you knew the difference that 3 hour drive makes in Alberta you'd consider it too! all hockey aside.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: rpain
If it did come to this, it would be towards the end of his contract. And NMC or not, I can guarantee you Calgary would not be the destination. If McDavid does move on one day, 90% chance it's to the Eastern Conference.

It won't be towards the end of his contract. I promise you. If EDM doesn't get aggressive and make the Oilers a real contender in the next year or two, he's out. As far as where? I have no idea and won't bother speculating where he'd want to go.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: FanOfBread
Oh man, if you knew the difference that 3 hour drive makes in Alberta you'd consider it too! all hockey aside.

Lol, I do know the difference (live in Calgary, inlaws in Edmonton)
FanOfBread liked this.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:11 p.m.
It won't be towards the end of his contract. I promise you. If EDM doesn't get aggressive and make the Oilers a real contender in the next year or two, he's out. As far as where? I have no idea and won't bother speculating where he'd want to go.

Hot take of the day:
Oil fail yet again (1st end exit, they win a game this time)
Leafs fail yet again (1st rnd exit, 7 games against Tampa)

McDavid lands in TO and Matthews land in Edmonton for 5 mins before signing with Vegas the following year
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:20 p.m.
Lol, I do know the difference (live in Calgary, inlaws in Edmonton)

Just curious, I'm not from Alberta but I've thought about moving there due to the still fairly reasonable real estate prices... Is Calgary or Edmonton the better city to live in?
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:24 p.m.
Just curious, I'm not from Alberta but I've thought about moving there due to the still fairly reasonable real estate prices... Is Calgary or Edmonton the better city to live in?

Let the pissing contest commence!!!!!
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:25 p.m.

I don't get that impression from him. Edmonton has made big steps in the regular season each of the last 2 seasons. I think he has too much pride to call it quits this young and demand a trade. His contract (although 100% worth what he gets paid) is a stumbling block to building a deep team. Look at the 4 remaining teams... all extremely deep line-ups. A contender making $12.5 million worth of space would require some serious gymnastics. It's why the Islanders have been more successful post Tavares than with him. I believe Carey Price was the first player to win a playoff series with a $10mil AAV cap hit.

Just a side note that I also picked up on this year was Stamkos (2008) is still the most recent 1st overall pick to make it past the 2nd round. I think McDavid would be a little more anxious to move on if the top end picks around him were winning cups and he was running in place. I definitely think Edmonton needs to push forward but don't think him asking out is imminent unless the Oilers were to take a huge step back or run in place for a few more years.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:28 p.m.
Banned
I don't get that impression from him. Edmonton has made big steps in the regular season each of the last 2 seasons. I think he has too much pride to call it quits this young and demand a trade. His contract (although 100% worth what he gets paid) is a stumbling block to building a deep team. Look at the 4 remaining teams... all extremely deep line-ups. A contender making $12.5 million worth of space would require some serious gymnastics. It's why the Islanders have been more successful post Tavares than with him. I believe Carey Price was the first player to win a playoff series with a $10mil AAV cap hit.

Just a side note that I also picked up on this year was Stamkos (2008) is still the most recent 1st overall pick to make it past the 2nd round. I think McDavid would be a little more anxious to move on if the top end picks around him were winning cups and he was running in place. I definitely think Edmonton needs to push forward but don't think him asking out is imminent unless the Oilers were to take a huge step back or run in place for a few more years.

Not discounting some of your points here, but McDavid wants to win a cup. We're not really in an age anymore where players are willing to go down with the ship. EDM, and mean no offense to Oilers fans, is one of the worst run organizations in hockey. They make bad decision after bad decision and if McDavid keeps seeing this happen he will want to move on.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:29 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Why TF would we buyout Markstrom?
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:29 p.m.

I've lived in both and live in NE Alberta now. All depends what you're after. Biggest difference is blue collar vs white collar. Calgary is "nicer" and closer to the mountains but a very status driven city. Edmonton's further from the mountains and has a crap downtown but found people to be more down to Earth. It has a nice river valley though and tons of nice lakes to the North with less population if you want to get away from busy, To sum up... if you like big city things, go to Calgary, if not, go to Edmonton.
Gregzky liked this.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:38 p.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
Why TF would we buyout Markstrom?

In a desperate bid to ice 20 men with my lucrative UFA signings.

I've lived in both and live in NE Alberta now. All depends what you're after. Biggest difference is blue collar vs white collar. Calgary is "nicer" and closer to the mountains but a very status driven city. Edmonton's further from the mountains and has a crap downtown but found people to be more down to Earth. It has a nice river valley though and tons of nice lakes to the North with less population if you want to get away from busy, To sum up... if you like big city things, go to Calgary, if not, go to Edmonton.

Awesome I really appreciate your response!
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:41 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
In a desperate bid to ice 20 men with my lucrative UFA signings.

Awesome I really appreciate your response!

We would be in the exact same situation that Edmonton is in right now. No goaltending. Welcome to the bottom of the leage Calgary
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.
Not discounting some of your points here, but McDavid wants to win a cup. We're not really in an age anymore where players are willing to go down with the ship. EDM, and mean no offense to Oilers fans, is one of the worst run organizations in hockey. They make bad decision after bad decision and if McDavid keeps seeing this happen he will want to move on.

The Oilers definitely had that tag a couple years ago but have passed the torch on to Buffalo/Arizona in that regard. I wouldn't put the Oilers in the upper echelon or anything but with guys like Holland/Tippet coming in and the old boys fading into the background I think the organization has at least come back to respectability. Back in the Chia days, 100% expected McDavid to jump ship but I think they gave Holland a short window to improve the team which he has done. Impossible to fix Chia's cap disaster overnight. The Oilers are just coming into cap space now so the next couple years will really tell if they've figured it out or not.

McDavid is still 24 so has lots of time left in the league. His contract is up at 29. I could see him forcing the issue by the time he's around 27 if they haven't made it to conference finals or deeper. He also has a clean slate at 29 to go to Free Agency and potentially take a "team friendly" deal to join a Tampa/Vegas type contender.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:46 p.m.
Banned
The Oilers definitely had that tag a couple years ago but have passed the torch on to Buffalo/Arizona in that regard. I wouldn't put the Oilers in the upper echelon or anything but with guys like Holland/Tippet coming in and the old boys fading into the background I think the organization has at least come back to respectability. Back in the Chia days, 100% expected McDavid to jump ship but I think they gave Holland a short window to improve the team which he has done. Impossible to fix Chia's cap disaster overnight. The Oilers are just coming into cap space now so the next couple years will really tell if they've figured it out or not.

McDavid is still 24 so has lots of time left in the league. His contract is up at 29. I could see him forcing the issue by the time he's around 27 if they haven't made it to conference finals or deeper. He also has a clean slate at 29 to go to Free Agency and potentially take a "team friendly" deal to join a Tampa/Vegas type contender.

BUF and AZ definitely are worse, but EDM hasn't fixed much. That Koskinen signing was not Chia if I'm not mistaken. All this being said, the oilers are almost rid of the garbage. Neal and Koskinen's contracts are the only crap left, so they have plenty of space to play around with. Let's see what they do with it.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
BUF and AZ definitely are worse, but EDM hasn't fixed much. That Koskinen signing was not Chia if I'm not mistaken. All this being said, the oilers are almost rid of the garbage. Neal and Koskinen's contracts are the only crap left, so they have plenty of space to play around with. Let's see what they do with it.

The Koskinen signing was actually the final straw that got Chiarelli fired. Holland's bad moves have been the Kassian extension and the Athanasiou trade but neither of those will set us back anywhere close to the extent Chiarelli did. In fairness to him, those were both pre-covid and look worse with the flat cap situation that followed. This is the first offseason with real roster flexibility so the ball is in Holland's court now. The Pacific doesn't look great, the Oilers (depending on what happens with the Kraken) should by the 2nd place team in that division and need to be able to give Vegas a run for their money. They need to win a round next year.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 4:59 p.m.
Banned
The Koskinen signing was actually the final straw that got Chiarelli fired. Holland's bad moves have been the Kassian extension and the Athanasiou trade but neither of those will set us back anywhere close to the extent Chiarelli did. In fairness to him, those were both pre-covid and look worse with the flat cap situation that followed. This is the first offseason with real roster flexibility so the ball is in Holland's court now. The Pacific doesn't look great, the Oilers (depending on what happens with the Kraken) should by the 2nd place team in that division and need to be able to give Vegas a run for their money. They need to win a round next year.

Yeah, well this is their time to do something. Every team has bad contracts and the ones you have can be worked around. You guys have so many spots to fill. This will be the chance to prove they can build a team the right way.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 5:34 p.m.

Depends on what you like, Calgary is nicer in my opinion, has more to offer for employment and living arrangements
desperados liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll