Forums/Armchair-GM

New look defense

Created by: BigShoots
Team: 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 23, 2021
Published: Jun. 23, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The following year the team would have 14+ mil in cap space to potentially go after some bigger fish. Pulock, Parayko, Jones. As well as a middle 6 forward.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$7,000,000
3$7,000,000
2$950,000
5$4,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Pelech, Adam [RFA Rights]
NYI
  1. Juolevi, Olli
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
VAN
    Seattle are enticed to take Myers with prospects Gadjovic and DiPietro
    TOR
    1. 2022 4th round pick (VAN)
    Buyouts
    Recapture Fees
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$75,175,659$648,780$1,900,000$6,324,341
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 6
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,225,000$1,225,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $825,000$825,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 3
    $725,000$725,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $3,875,000$3,875,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 8
    $5,950,000$5,950,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 7:56 p.m.
    GM CRIME DAWG
    Buff is likely on a re-build & AR is NOT in the plan.
    Have to do picks/prospects...
    gretzkyghosts liked this.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.
    BRUCE THERE IT IS
    Underpay for all
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:08 p.m.
    Big Shoots
    Quoting: McGruff
    Buff is likely on a re-build & AR is NOT in the plan.
    Have to do picks/prospects...

They shed salary and get a guy who brings intensity and a veteran presence. Miller hasn't worked out. Both are only have a yr left. No one is giving picks or prospects for Miller.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
    Big Shoots
    Quoting: cooliny
    Underpay for all

I used Barzal as a comparable for Petey. As far as Haula and Coleman go you might be right. There is still 3 mil in cap space to sign them.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:11 p.m.
    Leafs aren't doing that
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:18 p.m.
    Quoting: BigShoots
    I used Barzal as a comparable for Petey. As far as Haula and Coleman go you might be right. There is still 3 mil in cap space to sign them.

Pelech is gonna get more - both in terms of trade value and contract value.
    sporkknife liked this.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:19 p.m.
    Big Shoots
    Quoting: vikhodush
    Pelech is gonna get more - both in terms of trade value and contract value.

How much do you think?
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:23 p.m.
    Sabres fan
    They shed salary and get a guy who brings intensity and a veteran presence. Miller hasn't worked out. Both are only have a yr left. No one is giving picks or prospects for Miller.

I would rather let Miller go to Seattle than take on Roussel, especially considering we have to lose somebody to them. I would rather it be someone I don’t care about.
    RavensShadow liked this.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:26 p.m.
    Nyi won't move Pelech for anything short of massive over pay.
    4th is good value for Holl but he is overrated, Muzzin makes him look good. Keep the 4th and sign a UFA
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:33 p.m.
    Big Shoots
    Quoting: Tjm220
    I would rather let Miller go to Seattle than take on Roussel, especially considering we have to lose somebody to them. I would rather it be someone I don’t care about.

I don't think Seattle will be too interested either given his cap hit and his level of play. This is just a lateral move by both teams. Canucks take the bigger salary to try and fill an organizational need. And it kind is a good fit for Buffalo too given how young their roster is likely to be.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.
    How much do you think?

After letting Toews go for not much of a return would imagine it’d take an overpay - nhl level dman, high level prospect and a first. Not saying he’s worth that or I would pay that but think bc of what happened last season they’ll be super cautious.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
    Big Shoots
    After letting Toews go for not much of a return would imagine it’d take an overpay - nhl level dman, high level prospect and a first. Not saying he’s worth that or I would pay that but think bc of what happened last season they’ll be super cautious.

He is a stud. The problem for them is they are in just as bad a cap situation as last yr. It may come down to them having to deal players they like for less than they want.

As far as return they can't take salary back. It basically has to be entry level, prospects or picks.
    vikhodush liked this.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 8:49 p.m.
    He is a stud. The problem for them is they are in just as bad a cap situation as last yr. It may come down to them having to deal players they like for less than they want.

As far as return they can't take salary back. It basically has to be entry level, prospects or picks.

What got them into trouble? I don’t follow them super closely and haven’t done an AGM on them before but on the surface it doesn’t seem like they have any truly bad contracts outside of Ladd which I would think is LTIR? What am I missing?
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 9:20 p.m.
    Big Shoots
    What got them into trouble? I don’t follow them super closely and haven’t done an AGM on them before but on the surface it doesn’t seem like they have any truly bad contracts outside of Ladd which I would think is LTIR? What am I missing?

Ladd is buried hes not LTIR because hes not injured. Boychuk is another one. But ya it is kind of weird when you look at their lineup they just kind of have a few too many big deals.
    Jun. 23, 2021 at 9:42 p.m.
    Sabres fan
    I don't think Seattle will be too interested either given his cap hit and his level of play. This is just a lateral move by both teams. Canucks take the bigger salary to try and fill an organizational need. And it kind is a good fit for Buffalo too given how young their roster is likely to be.

The expectation is that Seattle is very comfortable taking Colin Miller, and buffalo will incentivize them doing so if necessary to protect their young forwards. Your opinion is certainly in the minority.
    RavensShadow liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:12 a.m.
    Big Shoots
    The expectation is that Seattle is very comfortable taking Colin Miller, and buffalo will incentivize them doing so if necessary to protect their young forwards. Your opinion is certainly in the minority.

Well its pure speculation. I don't think Buffalo would waste an asset trying to ensure Seattle take MIller. They may take him but they may take any number of garbage players, none of which is a loss to Buffalo.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:21 a.m.
    Sabres fan
    Well its pure speculation. I don't think Buffalo would waste an asset trying to ensure Seattle take MIller. They may take him but they may take any number of garbage players, none of which is a loss to Buffalo.

I think you and I have a different definition of what constitutes a garbage player. The list of players I wouldn’t mind losing to Seattle for nothing isn’t as long as yours I’m sure. I’d be thrilled if they took Okposo or Eakin, and I’d be fine with them taking Miller. It would upset me to lose useful players like Apslund, Thompson, Bjork, Borgen, Mittelstadt, or Girgensons. I don’t see any reason why they would select one of the pending UFAs like McCabe, Ullmark, Reider, or Sheahan when they can just be the highest bidder a week later.
    RavensShadow liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
    Big Shoots
    I think you and I have a different definition of what constitutes a garbage player. The list of players I wouldn’t mind losing to Seattle for nothing isn’t as long as yours I’m sure. I’d be thrilled if they took Okposo or Eakin, and I’d be fine with them taking Miller. It would upset me to lose useful players like Apslund, Thompson, Bjork, Borgen, Mittelstadt, or Girgensons. I don’t see any reason why they would select one of the pending UFAs like McCabe, Ullmark, Reider, or Sheahan when they can just be the highest bidder a week later.

Due respect none of those players really move the needle a great deal. I haven't gone through the protected list but could they not protect some of those players? Pretty sure they can protect Thompson, Middlestadt.

Why would Seattle take Okposo? Also why would Buffalo give up assets to shed salary? the cap is not an issue for them.

Not sure how the UFA thing works. But ya I don't think Seattle would select anyone who was an upcoming UFA.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 3:12 p.m.
    GM CRIME DAWG

Then you're not getting him.
    Buff doesn't need to clean-up Jim B's messes
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 3:39 p.m.
    Sabres fan
    Due respect none of those players really move the needle a great deal. I haven't gone through the protected list but could they not protect some of those players? Pretty sure they can protect Thompson, Middlestadt.

Why would Seattle take Okposo? Also why would Buffalo give up assets to shed salary? the cap is not an issue for them.

Not sure how the UFA thing works. But ya I don't think Seattle would select anyone who was an upcoming UFA.

The UFA thing is simple. In the days before the expansion draft Seattle gets negotiating rates with all pending UFAs ahead of free agency, but if they sign one of them that player counts as the player they select in the expansion draft from his former team.

Naturally one or two of the players I mentioned guys I wouldn’t want to lose can be protected, but the rest won’t. Mittelstadt, Thompson, and Apslund formed an exceptionally effective third line, and one of the Buffalo’s most consistent units last season. Each guy had almost 10 goals, in Mittelstadt’s case more than 10. Having played only 2/3 of a full season those numbers work out to 15 or so goals in a full season, better than acceptable numbers for a third line unit.

Nobody expects Seattle to even consider taking Cody Eakin or Okposo without being bribed to do so. That’s why it would be such a thrill if they actually did. Girgensons is a significantly better player than both of them, but coming off of the significant injury that he is I doubt Seattle would take the risk on him when they can have a perfectly capable second or third pairing defender in Colin Miller instead. I expect they might want Borgen, and I would consider protecting him over Risto and possibly trading Risto away before the expansion draft.
    Jun. 25, 2021 at 11:12 p.m.
    Big Shoots
    Then you're not getting him.
    Buff doesn't need to clean-up Jim B's messes

Miller has been an abject failure by all accounts. Why are you so attached to him?
    Jun. 25, 2021 at 11:21 p.m.
    GM CRIME DAWG
    Miller has been an abject failure by all accounts. Why are you so attached to him?

I'm not attached.
    You're missing the point.
    The point is: BUFF Needs a Re-build and in fact neither player is wanted...

However, if VAN wants CM that's great you can have him 100% BUT the return is along the lines of PICK(S) &/or PROSPECT(S) &/or a YOUNG B-RATED NHLer or the phone does not get answered...
    Jun. 27, 2021 at 1:34 a.m.
    Big Shoots
    I'm not attached.
    You're missing the point.
    The point is: BUFF Needs a Re-build and in fact neither player is wanted...

However, if VAN wants CM that's great you can have him 100% BUT the return is along the lines of PICK(S) &/or PROSPECT(S) &/or a YOUNG B-RATED NHLer or the phone does not get answered...

I think as a fan you are right but as a GM who has to build a team and respect spending it could actually be a good move. Buffalo fans will love Roussel. Moving a bad contract for a less bad contract isn't a bad move.
    Jun. 27, 2021 at 10:21 a.m.
    GM CRIME DAWG
    I think as a fan you are right but as a GM who has to build a team and respect spending it could actually be a good move. Buffalo fans will love Roussel. Moving a bad contract for a less bad contract isn't a bad move.

Course it has some benefits.

But BUFF like VAN is @ >50yrs of futility and in BUFF town they are a raging-dumpster-fire; VAN not so much.

Roussel add is like moving the deck-chairs on the Titanic - the good ship BUFFALO is still going down.

Add to that, the BILLS have started a new era of relevance and the SABRES better know they MUST start the re-build w/ no delay.

So, make it a 3rd/4th rounder for CM & then you can package AR to a top-ten playoff team that needs a playoff mucker (COL, TML, PIT, FLA...)
    Jun. 29, 2021 at 1:41 a.m.
    Big Shoots
    Course it has some benefits.

But BUFF like VAN is >50yrs of futility and in BUFF town they are a raging-dumpster-fire; VAN not so much.

Roussel add is like moving the deck-chairs on the Titanic - the good ship BUFFALO is still going down.

Add to that, the BILLS have started a new era of relevance and the SABRES better know they MUST start the re-build w/ no delay.

So, make it a 3rd/4th rounder for CM & then you can package AR to a top-ten playoff team that needs a playoff mucker (COL, TML, PIT, FLA...)

The point is just that Miller isn't worth much. He has been not great for 2 yrs. Was never that good to begin with but not many teams would even want him, let alone give up a draft pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll