Forums/Armchair-GM

Run it back

Created by: Boston14
Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 21, 2021
Published: Jun. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I want to look at the roster this off season if there were no major shake ups in Boston. I know it may not be what most fans want but it maybe a good option.

Since losing in game seven two years ago, Boston has had a bit of bad luck in the playoffs. Before the season came to a stop due to COVID it looked like Boston was going into the playoffs on a hot streak. But once everyone got to the bubble Boston struggle right away and then Rask left for personal reasons they didn’t have much of a chance. This year Boston wanted to give their younger players a chance and I think most players showed real potential. Adding Hall and Lazar were great pickups. I think the Reilly trade was a good trade but didn’t believe it would really fix the backend. Then in this year’s playoff they had to battle two rough teams and had some success. Injuries again struck with two d-men missing most of the second round. Miller and Carlo are suited for playoff, you could see how their removal effected everyone. Plus Lauzon injury then Rask. It was clear he wasn’t 100% and the islander won the goaltending battle.

Some can see those as reasons to make huge changes but I think it may benefit them not too. I think Boston has addressed a few needs in season and some of players development will help moving forward.

My reasoning to start:
-Seattle is a complete wildcard. There’s multiple option and it’s really in their court as what direction they take with their selection. I really hope Lauzon and Clifton are safe so I would offer them a deal around Ritchie and a (small) sweetener.

Next resigning their own players:
Krejci - I would love to have him back for a team friendly deal with two year term. I would not consider 5 million+ or 3 years.
Hall- looked great and seem like the answer for secondary scoring. Contract wise I would not be willing to pay him more than Marchand. If he’s looking for a payday then I would wish him luck and move on. Term wise I believe he wants long term so I would be willing to do 5-6 years.
Carlo- a nice fit in the second pair but Boston could look for an upgrade. I like him and would prefer keeping him. The only issue is his injury history that scares me a bit. Money wise I think stay around 3.5 to 4 million is the most reasonable range. He probably wants more and they may have to play a bit of hardball. Term wise right now I wouldn’t go to long. Two years would be best for both sides.
Rask- like Krejci I would love to have him back for a team friendly deal with two year term. I would not consider 5 million+ or 3 years. I have him at 3 but would go higher to get it done.
Frederic - resign at a fair deal. Showed some promise but clearly is mostly a four liner. He’ll have to steal a spot in training camp.
Miller- good player with bad luck. He’s a great fit and was clearly missed during Boston’s cup runs. I would sign him again because he still fits a role you want in your lineup and is a great person in the locker room. Another one year deal is a risk I would take with him.

I did not resign Reilly because I was crazy about his game and I think he’s looking to get full value on the season he just had. Boston needs a number 1 LD/ play play quarterback and he’s not the answer so I would move on. This was not the best season for Grzelyck but I’m fine with giving him the role and see if he can do it. I don’t see two many better options so I would stick with him.

Ufa- if Boston runs it back I see them only having 2 or 3 spots open. So I went with:
Paquette - just seem like a good fit and the type of player they usually go after. He can play multiple positions so Cassidy would have options with him.
Oleksiak - seems like a popular choice and I have like he’s development in the league. I would take a chance on him for the right price. Under 4 million and 2-3 years.
Wedgewood - Boston needs a goalie since Rask is likely to miss half the season. You can’t go into the season with just Vlader and Swayman. I think Wedgewood is a good option and played really well last season. He may want the opportunity to play for a contender and “bet” on himself by coming to Boston on a one year deal. I prefer him to some of the other options in the market.

The cap hit for all of the signs are probably on the lower edge and I would have some flexibility if GM.

Lineup decision outline below:
1st line - no changes needed. Could move Pasta down to balance lineup but it’s hard to break up the best line in hockey right now.
2nd line- hall and krejci keep their chemistry going. I put Coyle with them to hopefully get him going. Coyle is being paid like a top six forward than he better start playing like one. I would have him focus on creating space for his line and the net front presence.
3rd line- I kept JD because I like him and if you’re not going to get a good value for him then you’re better keeping him. Most trades I’ve seen on here are so bad. At centre I would try Studnicka there. He would need to earn but I would love to see him get the chance. I won’t be mad if they had him start in the ahl but I hope he can take a real step and win the job out of training camp. Smith had a slow start to the year but finished strong. He could stay on the second but for the Coyle and because I think he would be a good winger on this line with the younger guys he’s starts here for me.
4th line- is a battle between 5 or six players. I think that’s a great thing to have anytime.

1st pairing- I really liked Lauzon playing with McAvoy. Before his injury at the outdoor game this was a good pair and had Boston at the top of the league. I would like to see them together again. If not Lauzon can be moved around. I think Lauzon would really allow McAvoy to be more offensive mind. 2nd pairing - Grzelcyk and Carlo have played a ton together. It’s a good fit. Pairing McAvoy with Grzelcyk was fine but I didn’t think their game really benefited each other. I prefer matching an offensive minded dman with a defensive minded one. When you need a goal late they can be reunited.
3rd pairing- oleksaik could see time with McAvoy but I want to give Lauzon time and see if he can take a step forward. For Jamie I think you can know what to expect with him. A big body that has some two way potential. Clifton and Miller would rotate throughout the season.

Extra: Zboril is a good player but the offensive upside doesn’t look to be there. He would have to really earn a spot or wait for injury to get in. I like him and the fact he’s scratched just proves Boston has good depth. Just have to see if their depth is at a high level.

I know Boston would have a lot of cap space and could look at bigger deals but I like this roster. Sweeney would probably be fired (if they didn’t have success) but I’m not sure if it’s the time to go crazy with ufa signs and/ or trades. If there good deals to be had good for it but just to shock the system would not be my choice. The cap space could benefit them again at the trade deadline if some of players on the roster don’t live up to expectations or if there’s an upgrade to be had.

I also think Boston needs to keep their draft picks a bit more and develop their prospects pool. Most trades would only weaken it even more. I know time is running out for players like Bergeron but we have seen sometimes it’s better to keep the window “open” for multiple years rather then going all in one year and hoping for the best.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,500,000
2$1,150,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,100,000
2$4,600,000
1$1,000,000
1$3,000,000
1$2,000,000
2$3,750,000
2$1,500,000
Trades
BOS
SEA
  1. Kase, Ondrej [RFA Rights]
  2. Ritchie, Nick [RFA Rights]
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$72,254,841$1,956,507$182,500$9,245,159

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
LW
UFA - 4
$4,600,000$4,600,000
C
UFA
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,675,000$3,675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$769,167$769,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
G
RFA - 2
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 24, 2021 at 4:04 a.m.
good description, nice job applaud
Jun. 24, 2021 at 8:21 a.m.
Banned
Only issue i see is the term for carlo. 2 years takes him to UFA without buying out any UFA years. Bruins aren’t doing that.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 9:34 a.m.
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
Only issue i see is the term for carlo. 2 years takes him to UFA without buying out any UFA years. Bruins aren’t doing that.

Agreed. I think they look for a similar deal that Grzelcyk received. 4 years and around $4M, give or take $500K.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
You simply did not do enough here to improve the team. With $10M in cap space there are more than one way to improve the team across the depth chart. Keeping DeBrusk and giving Studnicka the 3rd C role seems like an unfavorable gamble. You could honestly package them and a 1st round pick for a d-man and forward.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
Boston14
Quoting: CMcAvoy73

Yeah I can see them prefer that and it’s probably better assets management but I would be cautious with not giving Carlo too much term because of his injury history. If you go long term there a chance they’ll regret it. Two year would walk him to UFA but there’s a lot that could happen. Injuries keep preventing him from playing, he plays poorly, Boston wants to upgrade, etc. But if Carlo plays well and stays healthy and likes the organization it shouldn’t be to hard to sign him again. But it’s a risk.

Quoting: Bruins1054_gmb
Agreed. I think they look for a similar deal that Grzelcyk received. 4 years and around $4M, give or take $500K.

Carlo when healthy probably deserves that contract but I’m not sure you can give it to him after this season. The injuries aren’t his fault but are a factor that need to be considered. Just depends if they want to bet on him or not.

The $10 M in cap space is with Rask on LTIR and knowing some of the contracts need to be adjusted. I think it’s more likely closer to $6 M when Rask is back in the lineup. Again I’m not say Boston shouldn’t look to upgrade and make trades if the right opportunity presents itself. But going into the season with cap space is typically a good thing and Boston could really use it during the trade deadline if they have needs to address. Look at the Hall trade, Boston was able to make that trade happen in part because of their space and didn’t require a third team like a lot of other trades.

Boston could decide to go all in and trade picks/ younger player. But it’s a huge gamble that may not work. Every season there’s only one team that’s made all the right moves and it the cup winner. I like splash move but Boston has been burnt a few time and needs to manage assets better. And we have seen how injuries can derail any team.

Look at Toronto, they have four players taking up most of their cap space. One year they trade their first rounder to get rid of Marleau contract. This season they traded their first for Foligno and he got hurt as well. Going in every year and moving picks will caught up. And just because on paper it’s an upgrade doesn’t mean success will follow.

Right now Boston at a crossroad as an organization. I actually like their position as I think the window is open a bit longer then others may believe. Beside Coyle they don’t have a ton of bad contracts and I hope he can play like he did when he first got here. McAvoy and Pastnrak future contracts worry me as I hope they stick with the team approach rather than go after a large payday. But I understand if they want their full value. If they can stay healthy and everyone plays to their standard I think they are still a top 5 team in the league.

Either way hopefully Sweeney can work his magic and have strong off season. But I like the roster I have outlined and would like to see how it preformed. But hey if they can add McDavid (or another top player) then go for it 😂
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Boston14
Yeah I can see them prefer that and it’s probably better assets management but I would be cautious with not giving Carlo too much term because of his injury history. If you go long term there a chance they’ll regret it. Two year would walk him to UFA but there’s a lot that could happen. Injuries keep preventing him from playing, he plays poorly, Boston wants to upgrade, etc. But if Carlo plays well and stays healthy and likes the organization it shouldn’t be to hard to sign him again. But it’s a risk.

Carlo when healthy probably deserves that contract but I’m not sure you can give it to him after this season. The injuries aren’t his fault but are a factor that need to be considered. Just depends if they want to bet on him or not.

The $10 M in cap space is with Rask on LTIR and knowing some of the contracts need to be adjusted. I think it’s more likely closer to $6 M when Rask is back in the lineup. Again I’m not say Boston shouldn’t look to upgrade and make trades if the right opportunity presents itself. But going into the season with cap space is typically a good thing and Boston could really use it during the trade deadline if they have needs to address. Look at the Hall trade, Boston was able to make that trade happen in part because of their space and didn’t require a third team like a lot of other trades.

Boston could decide to go all in and trade picks/ younger player. But it’s a huge gamble that may not work. Every season there’s only one team that’s made all the right moves and it the cup winner. I like splash move but Boston has been burnt a few time and needs to manage assets better. And we have seen how injuries can derail any team.

Look at Toronto, they have four players taking up most of their cap space. One year they trade their first rounder to get rid of Marleau contract. This season they traded their first for Foligno and he got hurt as well. Going in every year and moving picks will caught up. And just because on paper it’s an upgrade doesn’t mean success will follow.

Right now Boston at a crossroad as an organization. I actually like their position as I think the window is open a bit longer then others may believe. Beside Coyle they don’t have a ton of bad contracts and I hope he can play like he did when he first got here. McAvoy and Pastnrak future contracts worry me as I hope they stick with the team approach rather than go after a large payday. But I understand if they want their full value. If they can stay healthy and everyone plays to their standard I think they are still a top 5 team in the league.

Either way hopefully Sweeney can work his magic and have strong off season. But I like the roster I have outlined and would like to see how it preformed. But hey if they can add McDavid (or another top player) then go for it 😂

Walking a guy to ufa without buying out ufa years is so rare its almost not worth considering.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll