2$800,000
2$3,000,000
Trades
TOR
    Expansion draft
    TOR
    1. McCann, Jared
    Additional Details:
    Pittsburgh gets a solid shutdown pairing d-man and a prospect to start rebuilding the pool
    PIT
    1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
    2. Holl, Justin
    Additional Details:
    Toronto gets a 3rd line centre
    TOR
    1. Madden, Tyler
    2. 2022 1st round pick (LAK)
    Additional Details:
    The pick is top 10 protected.
    TOR
    1. Garland, Conor [RFA Rights]
    2. 2022 4th round pick (ARI)
    3. 2023 6th round pick (ARI)
    ARI
    1. Abramov, Mikhail
    2. Engvall, Pierre
    3. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
    TOR
    1. Fabbro, Dante [RFA Rights]
    Additional Details:
    Fabbro is rumoured to be on the trading block. Fabbro fell out of favour with John Hynes and was scratched all 6 playoff games for Nashville.

Fabbro might be undervalued, lmk what I need to add to this trade.
    NSH
    TOR
    1. 2022 6th round pick (TBL)
    WSH
    1. 2023 2nd round pick (TOR)
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$80,541,450$0$400,000$958,550

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $2,940,000$2,940,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $716,667$716,667
    G
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $825,000$825,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:18 p.m.
    nateca44
    I'm not familiar with your players. I do know that it'd be a tough pill to swallow losing McCann. I'd say he's better on LW but, he did hold his own at center.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:22 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    Quoting: nateca44
    I'm not familiar with your players. I do know that it'd be a tough pill to swallow losing McCann. I'd say he's better on LW but, he did hold his own at center.

Holl is a better Cody Ceci, at least comparing their tenures in Toronto. Holl is guy who would go down block a shot and stand up for his goalie and players.

In regards to McCann he's familiar with both Dubas and Keefe as he played for them in SOO. They'll know how to play him and where too.
    nateca44 liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:23 p.m.
    Kings offer two 2nd rounders for Reily, if that doesn't work they can try and get him next season. A 1st rounder and the main piece in the Toffoli trade for a rental is bad asset management.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:34 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    Quoting: tryger
    Kings offer two 2nd rounders for Reily, if that doesn't work they can try and get him next season. A 1st rounder and the main piece in the Toffoli trade for a rental is bad asset management.

That's not Rielly value however. It been said by insiders that his value is a 1st and a prospect. Also the major piece coming back in that trade was the 2nd rounder, which LA used to trade up and select Brock Faber.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:50 p.m.
    Roster Architect

Quoting: MauriceArthur15
    That's not Rielly value however. It been said by insiders that his value is a 1st and a prospect. Also the major piece coming back in that trade was the 2nd rounder, which LA used to trade up and select Brock Faber.

Rielly to LA starts with Vilardi. Kings can have a year to talk about an extension with him or can sign him as part of the deal. But Toronto needs players to help them win now, not picks or prospects. Specifically they need right handed centre's that have some upside to maybe be a 2C when Tavares moves to the wing or Matthews leaves via free agency. Vilardi fits that. You don't get a top pairing defenceman for cheap. & if you wanna argue that he's "a rental" well a) you have a year to sign him and b) look at the price that Jones is rumoured to be going for. They don't come cheap. Don't low ball teams with "2 2nds" and think that even gets a consideration.
    MauriceArthur15 liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:20 p.m.
    Rielly isn't coming to LA. His asking price is significantly more than LA is willing to pay for only one guaranteed year of his services. A Cup contender might be willing to pay more.

All reports suggest that Toronto is going to re-sign him, so it's likely moot anyway.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
    Quoting: TrueCanuck
    Rielly to LA starts with Vilardi. Kings can have a year to talk about an extension with him or can sign him as part of the deal. But Toronto needs players to help them win now, not picks or prospects. Specifically they need right handed centre's that have some upside to maybe be a 2C when Tavares moves to the wing or Matthews leaves via free agency. Vilardi fits that. You don't get a top pairing defenceman for cheap. & if you wanna argue that he's "a rental" well a) you have a year to sign him and b) look at the price that Jones is rumoured to be going for. They don't come cheap. Don't low ball teams with "2 2nds" and think that even gets a consideration.

Two seconds is what the Kings got for Martinez, it's not low balling, it's assessing fair value. What a team wants, and what they get are not the same.

But if it has to be Vilardi , Kings decline then, playing Kopitar - Byfield - JAD - Lizotte up the middle doesn't address their biggest concern, which isn't defense, it's scoring. The Kings were not awful defensively considering they had two rookie LDs playing top-4 minutes. This deal makes both teams weaker in their areas of concern (Leafs defensively, Kings offensively). Just not a good fit if Vilardi has to be the peice.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:24 p.m.

Teams still drafting in the top 10 should not be moving their picks for rentals. Period.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:25 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    Teams still drafting in the top 10 should not be moving their picks for rentals. Period.

A team in the pacific should be looking to make the playoffs with how weak the division is expected to be.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    Two seconds is what the Kings got for Martinez, it's not low balling, it's assessing fair value. What a team wants, and what they get are not the same.

But if it has to be Vilardi , Kings decline then, playing Kopitar - Byfield - JAD - Lizotte up the middle doesn't address their biggest concern, which isn't defense, it's scoring. The Kings were not awful defensively considering they had two rookie LDs playing top-4 minutes. This deal makes both teams weaker in their areas of concern (Leafs defensively, Kings offensively). Just not a good fit if Vilardi has to be the peice.

That was in midst of a down season where they were probably the 2nd worst team behind Detroit. That a poor assessment for Rielly especially when he had a strong offensive season and strong two-way performance in the playoffs
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
    Roster Architect

I think you've looked at this in the exact opposite way it should be looked at.

1. Rielly is miles better than Martinez. So he's certainly worth more.
    2. LA is on the market for a top pairing defenceman and Toronto needs a young 3C with upside - both players for those criteria.
    3. With LA's forward depth in prospects, Vilardi is expendable. A future 1-2 punch of Byfield and Kopitar is the likeliest option. From there there's still guys like Kupari, Anderson-Dolan, Turcotte, etc that can even play centre or the wing if necessary
    4. Rielly insanely helps LA's offence more than their defence. He's been a top 15 offensive defenceman for 3 years now and he creates offence from the back end more than he helps the defence. & Toronto had younger guys to take his spot
    5. Leafs problem isn't the actual defenceman, it's the forwards defence. Vilardi being a strong 2way player helps that greatly.

So actually, it's an almost perfect trade involving Vilardi and Rielly.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:29 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    Quoting: tkecanuck341
    Rielly isn't coming to LA. His asking price is significantly more than LA is willing to pay for only one guaranteed year of his services. A Cup contender might be willing to pay more.

All reports suggest that Toronto is going to re-sign him, so it's likely moot anyway.

I mean Toronto is extremely quiet when it comes to these stuff as well. I mean our assistant coach was being interviewed for over a year from the Kraken and nobody said a word.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
    Quoting: TrueCanuck
    I think you've looked at this in the exact opposite way it should be looked at.

1. Rielly is miles better than Martinez. So he's certainly worth more.
    2. LA is on the market for a top pairing defenceman and Toronto needs a young 3C with upside - both players for those criteria.
    3. With LA's forward depth in prospects, Vilardi is expendable. A future 1-2 punch of Byfield and Kopitar is the likeliest option. From there there's still guys like Kupari, Anderson-Dolan, Turcotte, etc that can even play centre or the wing if necessary
    4. Rielly insanely helps LA's offence more than their defence. He's been a top 15 offensive defenceman for 3 years now and he creates offence from the back end more than he helps the defence. & Toronto had younger guys to take his spot
    5. Leafs problem isn't the actual defenceman, it's the forwards defence. Vilardi being a strong 2way player helps that greatly.

So actually, it's an almost perfect trade involving Vilardi and Rielly.

I disagree with this premise entirely. Rielly is a very good offensive defenseman, but his defense is below-average at best. I'd take Martinez over Rielly on the Kings in a second.

If LA is going to give up major pieces for a defenseman, it's going to be for someone several years younger with more guaranteed years remaining.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 1:45 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    I disagree with this premise entirely. Rielly is a very good offensive defenseman, but his defense is below-average at best. I'd take Martinez over Rielly on the Kings in a second.

If LA is going to give up major pieces for a defenseman, it's going to be for someone several years younger with more guaranteed years remaining.

You would rather take a 33yr old over a 27 year old?

Martinez had a career year this year and is only looking to regress.

The biggest issue on this site for both Leafs fans and other teams fans is not everyone understands player values. If you are trading for Rielly you are losing one of your top prospects unfortunately. I don't think its Villardi which is why I took Madden.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 2:03 p.m.
    You would rather take a 33yr old over a 27 year old?

Martinez had a career year this year and is only looking to regress.

The biggest issue on this site for both Leafs fans and other teams fans is not everyone understands player values. If you are trading for Rielly you are losing one of your top prospects unfortunately. I don't think its Villardi which is why I took Madden.

I would. As you said, Martinez just had a career year and can be had as a UFA. He's exceptional at defense and showed in vegas that he's quite good at offense too.

If Rielly had several years remaining at his current cap hit, then I'd be more inclined to consider trading for him. Additionally, the league disproportionally pays for offense over defense, so someone like Rielly is going to get paid, even though he's not very good in his own zone. His extension, if not a hometown discount with the Leafs, would to be significantly more than I'd be comfortable paying for someone with suspect defensive skills. Therefore if LA is trading for Rielly, it's for a rental. I'm not giving up 1st round pick and a quality prospect for a rental defenseman who isn't so good at defense.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 2:19 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    I would. As you said, Martinez just had a career year and can be had as a UFA. He's exceptional at defense and showed in vegas that he's quite good at offense too.

If Rielly had several years remaining at his current cap hit, then I'd be more inclined to consider trading for him. Additionally, the league disproportionally pays for offense over defense, so someone like Rielly is going to get paid, even though he's not very good in his own zone. His extension, if not a hometown discount with the Leafs, would to be significantly more than I'd be comfortable paying for someone with suspect defensive skills. Therefore if LA is trading for Rielly, it's for a rental. I'm not giving up 1st round pick and a quality prospect for a rental defenseman who isn't so good at defense.

…great to see the great minds of capfriendly. We wonder why our GMs never trade this player for that player that why. Your scouting of Martinez is completely wrong. Paying for a 33 year Turning 34 in months is better than trading for Rielly.

My god some of y’all go to extents to hate on the Leafs. Also his defence was suspect because he had Brodie on the back end and was allowed to play the transition game he wants. When the stakes were raised he was Toronto best defenceman and was only on ice for 3 goal against in 7 games while being on ice for 6 goal scored.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
    …great to see the great minds of capfriendly. We wonder why our GMs never trade this player for that player that why. Your scouting of Martinez is completely wrong. Paying for a 33 year Turning 34 in months is better than trading for Rielly.

My god some of y’all go to extents to hate on the Leafs. Also his defence was suspect because he had Brodie on the back end and was allowed to play the transition game he wants. When the stakes were raised he was Toronto best defenceman and was only on ice for 3 goal against in 7 games while being on ice for 6 goal scored.

Rielly has been on the Maple Leafs for 8 years. Brodie was on the Leafs for 1. What's his excuse for being poor defensively for the 7 seasons prior to this one? I'm not saying that makes him any worse of a player than he is. He's clearly a very talented offensive defenseman, similar to Erik Karlsson and P.K. Subban (before their respective regression). He's just not a defensive guy. You can get away with that stuff in the East. That generally doesn't work out very well in the West, hence the significant drop-off of players like Karlsson.

I watched every single game Alec Martinez played in for 10+ years, many of them in person. I'm pretty sure I have a better idea than you do about what kind of player he is. If I had to choose one player for one season (which is all LA will get out of Rielly if they trade for him), I'd much rather have Martinez. I'm not going to give Martinez a 7 year, $40M+ salary at his age, but I'd absolutely sign him to a 4-year, $20M deal before I considered giving up a 1st + Madden for one year of Rielly.

To be clear, I don't hate the Leafs. If you want to trade Muzzin back to LA to make room for Rielly's extension, I'll sign on the dotted line right now.
    tryger liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll