Forums/Armchair-GM

Hamilton Re Signed

Created by: SaskCanesFan
Team: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 24, 2021
Published: Jun. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is the Canes realizing their Cup window is now and going for it, as there is basically no cap room and some tough decisions to come quickly. Svech and Ned are both signed to bridge deals, pushing off the long term contract until the cap hopefully starts to rise again. After the season one of Nino or Trochek would be let to walk and replaced from within, Jarvis or Drury with another year of development should be able to slot in by that point and contribute.

Dougie's contract is dependent on him liking the fit in Carolina, and the 8th year the Canes can do to spread out the money more. So basically Pietrangelo $ but over 8 years. If he's just looking for the highest AAV possible then he could get a better offer elsewhere.

I don't know exactly what Minnesota would be looking for in a Fiala deal. I've seen one other mock with Trochek going the other way, but in this scenario the Canes would want to hold onto him for a Cup run. By the sounds of it Foegele is looking for an increased role, and I don't see it coming with the Canes. He drives play well and is an effective middle 6 right now, if his offense increases with a bigger role that's a very solid player. Added the Canes 1st this year and Suzuki. If that's still not in the ballpark from Minnesota's end I'd be curious what it would take instead.

Fiala pushing Nino down and the addition of Tatar creates a really strong top 9. I think with that kind of increased scoring depth they can beat Tampa/Boston/etc. Keep Martinook around as a veteran presence on the 4th line with a few young guys should be an energy line with some scoring upside. Considering how tight the money is, I wouldn't mind trading away Skjei and looking to replace him with someone that's a better value, but I didn't have a specific name in mind so kept him around for now. Same with Hakanpaa, there might be a better fit for the money out there than a guy with 62 career games.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,750,000
2$850,000
3$6,500,000
6$6,666,667
2$1,050,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
3$4,500,000
1$2,000,000
8$7,750,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Fiala, Kevin [RFA Rights]
MIN
  1. Foegele, Warren [RFA Rights]
  2. Suzuki, Ryan
  3. 2021 1st round pick (CAR)
CAR
    Expansion Draft deal to take Gardiner
    SEA
    1. Fast, Jesper
    2. Gardiner, Jake
    3. 2021 2nd round pick (CAR)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$81,490,250$0$537,500$9,750
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    $8,460,250$8,460,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $6,666,667$6,666,667
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    C, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,025,000$4,025,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.
    That's not appealing for Fiala. Legitimate top 6 center or nothing. We have no problem giving him that contract ourselves.
    TanSor and Clement liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:33 p.m.
    I don't know if we'd move him unless it's for Necas, which the Canes likely say no to. There's just no point in moving Fiala unless we get a similarly aged, similarly talented center coming back.
    SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:33 p.m.
    Quoting: TanSor
    I don't know if we'd move him unless it's for Necas, which the Canes likely say no to. There's just no point in moving Fiala unless we get a similarly aged, similarly talented center coming back.

Necas isn't a center in any capacity at this point. This would be a lateral move for us.
    Clement liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:38 p.m.
    Quoting: Caerii
    Necas isn't a center in any capacity at this point. This would be a lateral move for us.

He has played 125 NHL games, I think it's way too early to write him as a pure winger especially when he played center up until he was drafted.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:38 p.m.

Necas or Jarvis at bare minimum...

Even if it was Mercer, a 1st, and something else I'm not certain we'd do it.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:39 p.m.
    He has played 125 NHL games, I think it's way too early to write him as a pure winger especially when he played center up until he was drafted.

He's not viewed as a center by either the Canes or its fans. They both view him as a winger.
    TanSor and Caerii liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:42 p.m.
    Quoting: RazWild

Mercer is a Devils pick, but yeah, it would have to be for Necas or Jarvis at least. And Necas is a pretty lateral move like I said, so I'm not sure why either side does it. And Jarvis would still require an additional 1st on top at least.

There's really not a lot out there that makes sense to move Fiala for, so I don't see him getting moved. I think that was Russo just trying to come up with stuff to speculate on while things are quiet right now.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:50 p.m.

I was hoping to avoid having to add Jarvis, but if that's what it takes I understand. I do think Foegele is being undersold a bit here though.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:55 p.m.
    Quoting: SaskCanesFan
    I was hoping to avoid having to add Jarvis, but if that's what it takes I understand. I do think Foegele is being undersold a bit here though.

I think it's pretty ambitious to think a 25 year old with 200 career games and a career high of 30 points is even remotely acceptable as a center piece for a player like Fiala, personally. He also didn't even play center for you guys from what I can tell, he played wing, so the fact that you're trying to sell him as a guy who could take a step to being any kind of 2nd line center is pretty bold.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:56 p.m.
    Mercer is a Devils pick, but yeah, it would have to be for Necas or Jarvis at least. And Necas is a pretty lateral move like I said, so I'm not sure why either side does it. And Jarvis would still require an additional 1st on top at least.

There's really not a lot out there that makes sense to move Fiala for, so I don't see him getting moved. I think that was Russo just trying to come up with stuff to speculate on while things are quiet right now.

Yeah if that was just Russo speculation and there's no real motivation for Minnesota moving Fiala then there probably isn't a fit to be had here.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 6:59 p.m.
    I think it's pretty ambitious to think a 25 year old with 200 career games and a career high of 30 points is even remotely acceptable as a center piece for a player like Fiala, personally. He also didn't even play center for you guys from what I can tell, he played wing, so the fact that you're trying to sell him as a guy who could take a step to being any kind of 2nd line center is pretty bold.

I'm struggling to see him as the center piece in a deal that also includes a 1st and a prospect like Jarvis/Suzuki. But he's not just a plug and there are some analytics guys who are high on him in a larger role.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 7:07 p.m.
    I'm struggling to see him as the center piece in a deal that also includes a 1st and a prospect like Jarvis/Suzuki. But he's not just a plug and there are some analytics guys who are high on him in a larger role.

Foegle's a decent player, don't get us wrong. We just don't think he's what we'd be looking for if Fiala was moved is all.
    SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 7:14 p.m.
    Foegle's a decent player, don't get us wrong. We just don't think he's what we'd be looking for if Fiala was moved is all.

That's fair for sure. I was operating under the idea that Minnesota had some motivation to move Fiala, but if that's not the case then Foegele isn't the type of guy that would be appealing enough to force them to something. Does swapping Suzuki with Jarvis swing things at all?
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 7:16 p.m.
    Your deal is bad
    This would be my ideal offseason, minus bringing back Martinook. I'd love Tatar and Fiala as Canes

As Wild fans have said, I don't think this is what the wild is looking for in return for Fiala. They need a guaranteed top 6 center.

I'm also afraid that might not be enough for asking Seattle to take Gardiner.
    SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 7:36 p.m.
    Quoting: OnlyBadDeals
    This would be my ideal offseason, minus bringing back Martinook. I'd love Tatar and Fiala as Canes

As Wild fans have said, I don't think this is what the wild is looking for in return for Fiala. They need a guaranteed top 6 center.

I'm also afraid that might not be enough for asking Seattle to take Gardiner.

Yeah - obviously I'm biased, but I really like the way this works out and how the team looks. Though I can see why Minnesota doesn't want to move Fiala. In that case I'd be curious about Reinhart from Buffalo, if they're imploding again maybe he'd be available for a package deal. Doens't fit as well with handedness but that's not the end of the world.
    OnlyBadDeals liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 7:45 p.m.
    That's fair for sure. I was operating under the idea that Minnesota had some motivation to move Fiala, but if that's not the case then Foegele isn't the type of guy that would be appealing enough to force them to something. Does swapping Suzuki with Jarvis swing things at all?

It definitely helps make it more appealing to where we would consider it.

But take it with the caveat that it depends on how our off-season progresses. All things considered, we want to keep him if we can. It's understandable he's looking to get paid, but what Russo has been saying is that if he's asking too much or if a move that brings in significant cap, (Eichel), then we might not be to keep him.

But at this point it's way too early to say he'd even be available.
    SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 9:11 p.m.
    He's not viewed as a center by either the Canes or its fans. They both view him as a winger.

I disagree with that. They’re using a similar approach to Aho early on. Started him as a bottom 6 winger, moved to a top 6 winger and then moved him to a center. It worked out perfectly. Necas is able to continue playing wing bc canes center depth is much better now than it was when Aho was coming up. I don’t think the canes have given up on him being their 2C as RBA has been working with him sporadically at center. This offseason would be a good opportunity for him to continue working on the center skill set in case they end up moving on from Troch the following year.
    RazWild and SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2021 at 9:20 p.m.
    Quoting: vikhodush
    I disagree with that. They’re using a similar approach to Aho early on. Started him as a bottom 6 winger, moved to a top 6 winger and then moved him to a center. It worked out perfectly. Necas is able to continue playing wing bc canes center depth is much better now than it was when Aho was coming up. I don’t think the canes have given up on him being their 2C as RBA has been working with him sporadically at center. This offseason would be a good opportunity for him to continue working on the center skill set in case they end up moving on from Troch the following year.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I've heard from more than a few Canes fans that have said he's a winger.

Good to know, thanks for the info!
    vikhodush liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll