RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:13 a.m.
Leon and Jesse
Worth a GOAT
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
Mete value is pretty similar to Dermott value.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: Sagecoll

Would a straight up Dermott rights for Mete rights be a fair enough trade?
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:18 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: pokachyCP

The way I think is why would Ottawa do a lateral move when what they have is working? What happens if a change doesn’t workout ?
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:21 a.m.
Quoting: Sagecoll

Dermott is worth more than Mete

Mete was a waiver pickup really does not have much value at this point
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
While TOR might want that move, I dont think OTT would (Dermott for Mete). Overall two pretty meh young defenders.

Dermott probably has less value now, after being supplanted by Sandin and looking average at best in the playoffs. Mete had something like 5 pts in 28 games and after 199 NHL games, I don;t think anyone is convinced that he or Dermott are anything more than average 5th-7th dmen.

Neither are puck rushers or crease clearers.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:26 a.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
Should be a fair bit. Hard to think of anyone who got more overexposed as a youngster than him. If he had played in the AHL at 19 / 20 it'd be very different...

We'd probably value him similar to them:

Nic Hague
Mario Ferraro
Dante Fabbro

He has comparable point totals to them recently etc.

Much like Dennis cholowski who has been dynamite in the AHL since being similarly overexposed and has kinda been forgotten... relativity so crucial... 😐
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:27 a.m.
Quoting: csick
The way I think is why would Ottawa do a lateral move when what they have is working? What happens if a change doesn’t workout ?

Would Ottawa trade him in order to move up in the draft from 74 OA to 57 OA?
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
right now worth more to us than what other teams would be willing to offer...

Until Sanderson is ready, there's a good chance that Mete will be part of the organization, simple as that
csick and Borocop liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.

It's decently close. They've had about equal on-ice value over the last 2 seasons - with Mete being slightly better in less TOI. But there's also no point in either team doing the trade need wise.

mete-dermott
Radu47, csick and sensibleguy liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:32 a.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
Edited Jun. 25, 2021 at 10:38 a.m.
Quoting: kous
Dermott is worth more than Mete

Mete was a waiver pickup really does not have much value at this point

Thats absurd he's still just 23 😐

If anyone thinks the player he has been in the NHL from 19 to now is the player he'll end up as, like... why would one think that... primes are usually 23-29

Hopefully folks can recognize when a young player gets overexposed super early in their career. Why would one judge so early on. He's still developing.

Just so much of that happened at NHL level

90% of players are very different from 19-23 / 23-29

Edit:

Slight computation error
csick, TheBoyDuddus and OMGKenny666 liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 11:08 a.m.
Quoting: Hammerwise
While TOR might want that move, I dont think OTT would (Dermott for Mete). Overall two pretty meh young defenders.

Dermott probably has less value now, after being supplanted by Sandin and looking average at best in the playoffs. Mete had something like 5 pts in 28 games and after 199 NHL games, I don;t think anyone is convinced that he or Dermott are anything more than average 5th-7th dmen.

Neither are puck rushers or crease clearers.

All Mete did in Ottawa was carry the puck up the ice every shift. Unless im misunderstanding what youre saying with puck rusher? Thats the one thing hes known for from his time in Mtl and Ott is rushing the puck up the ice... habs fans just complained that it didnt lead to enough goals but hes generated great with the sens.
Hammerwise and Radu47 liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 11:11 a.m.
Serf
Morgan Rielly > Mike Reilly > Victor Mete
Radu47 liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 11:18 a.m.
Edited Jun. 25, 2021 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: TheBoyDuddus
All Mete did in Ottawa was carry the puck up the ice every shift. Unless im misunderstanding what youre saying with puck rusher? Thats the one thing hes known for from his time in Mtl and Ott is rushing the puck up the ice... habs fans just complained that it didnt lead to enough goals but hes generated great with the sens.

Yeah, I didnt clarify. To me, theres a difference between puck carrying and actually a puck rushing. A puck rusher actually puts up pts.

Mete AND Dermott are capable of handling the puck, but both are smallish and not overly offensive or creative. Mete has less than 40 pts in 200 games, and similar with Dermott. Thats not to say they couldn;t put up a few more pts, but I'm saying that both aren;t really offensive dmen and both are too undersized to be crease clearing types. (Think DOn Sweeney of BOS hayday).

Its not a bad thing, but unlike say a guy like Robert Hagg of PHI or Bogosian of TOR, who in their 3rd pair time hit, clears crease, PK time guys, neither dermott nor Mete are anything more than average 5-7th guys who aren;t going to be a oleksiak, a weber or a gotisbehere, and ultimately expendable/upgradeable and not full of value.

For example, Mete has 39 pts in 199 games, Dermott has 47 pts in almost 240 games and a bigger guy/crease clearer like Robert Hagg of PHI has 49 in 250 or so games. Puck carrying is fine with these guys, but none of them are going to become offensive forces, so what else do they bring? Physicality? Crease clearing? Shot blocking? Super speed? None of them are the next Eric Desjardins with their stick to break up plays. They are average 3rd pairing guys.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 11:36 a.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster

Yeah exactly doesn't always have to be bobby orr style

Quality passer too (Mete) crisp and coherent

As it should be 😎
TheBoyDuddus liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Quoting: Radu47

If anyone thinks the player he has been in the NHL from 19 to now is the player he'll end up as, like... why would one think that... primes are usually 23-29

Hopefully folks can recognize when a young player gets overexposed super early in their career. Why would one judge so early on. He's still developing.

Edit:

Slight computation error

I agree 100% but more often than not those players have short or meaningless careers.

What is absurd about a player going on waivers and not having a lot of NHL value?
Hammerwise liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 12:40 p.m.
Yeah, I didnt clarify. To me, theres a difference between puck carrying and actually a puck rushing. A puck rusher actually puts up pts.

Mete AND Dermott are capable of handling the puck, but both are smallish and not overly offensive or creative. Mete has less than 40 pts in 200 games, and similar with Dermott. Thats not to say they couldn;t put up a few more pts, but I'm saying that both aren;t really offensive dmen and both are too undersized to be crease clearing types. (Think DOn Sweeney of BOS hayday).

Its not a bad thing, but unlike say a guy like Robert Hagg of PHI or Bogosian of TOR, who in their 3rd pair time hit, clears crease, PK time guys, neither dermott nor Mete are anything more than average 5-7th guys who aren;t going to be a oleksiak, a weber or a gotisbehere, and ultimately expendable/upgradeable and not full of value.

For example, Mete has 39 pts in 199 games, Dermott has 47 pts in almost 240 games and a bigger guy/crease clearer like Robert Hagg of PHI has 49 in 250 or so games. Puck carrying is fine with these guys, but none of them are going to become offensive forces, so what else do they bring? Physicality? Crease clearing? Shot blocking? Super speed? None of them are the next Eric Desjardins with their stick to break up plays. They are average 3rd pairing guys.

Thats more than fair. I liked what he did in Ottawa but realistically youre right, 5 points through 28 games in two organizations doesnt scream offensive producer. My only counterpoint would be that teams like Ottawa this year do still have a need for puck movers. To put it very simply, some nights there was no one on the roster capable of simply carrying the puck up the ice and gaining the oppositions blue line. With Chabot hurt and Brannstrom still getting his feet wet, what Mete brought was a breath of fresh air. Zaitsev, Brown, Gudbranson, Coburn, Goloubef.. none of those players could skate and handle the puck the way Mete can. He played an important role to end the season and likely carved out a role on the third pairing next year which is fine and im sure will be needed. All that to say his role as a puck mover, even if it's only as a 5-7Dman was still valuable to the team and needed. Yes, he was a waiver pick up but there is no question in my mind that Ottawa wouldve been willing to part with an asset to bring someone with his skill set in. A mid round draft pick couldve been a very realistic return to acquire him or someone like him.

I agree 100% but more often than not those players have short or meaningless careers.

What is absurd about a player going on waivers and not having a lot of NHL value?

He does have value. Read who I wrote above your quote if youre interested in why
Hammerwise liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 1:59 p.m.
Thats more than fair. I liked what he did in Ottawa but realistically youre right, 5 points through 28 games in two organizations doesnt scream offensive producer. My only counterpoint would be that teams like Ottawa this year do still have a need for puck movers. To put it very simply, some nights there was no one on the roster capable of simply carrying the puck up the ice and gaining the oppositions blue line. With Chabot hurt and Brannstrom still getting his feet wet, what Mete brought was a breath of fresh air. Zaitsev, Brown, Gudbranson, Coburn, Goloubef.. none of those players could skate and handle the puck the way Mete can. He played an important role to end the season and likely carved out a role on the third pairing next year which is fine and im sure will be needed. All that to say his role as a puck mover, even if it's only as a 5-7Dman was still valuable to the team and needed. Yes, he was a waiver pick up but there is no question in my mind that Ottawa wouldve been willing to part with an asset to bring someone with his skill set in. A mid round draft pick couldve been a very realistic return to acquire him or someone like him.

He does have value. Read who I wrote above your quote if youre interested in why

I like Mete and think with a team like Ottawa who is building and can take the time with him he can have success. With a team like the Leaf's where he is pegged as a 6th/7th D he is setup to fail.

I firmly believe that D take longer to develop and you don't see what they can do until after 26
TheBoyDuddus liked this.
Jun. 25, 2021 at 5:28 p.m.
Serf
Quoting: Radu47

Edit:

Slight computation error

I like Mete and think with a team like Ottawa who is building and can take the time with him he can have success. With a team like the Leaf's where he is pegged as a 6th/7th D he is setup to fail.

I firmly believe that D take longer to develop and you don't see what they can do until after 26

I tagged a few posts but I'm just making some general comments.

Waivers is situational, which is their purpose, a team with more depth losses to a team with less depth or an immediate need. I looked at the difference in toi between Reilly and Mete in Montreal, and it seems as if it was back and forth as they developed. Montreal has a lot of left shot D, and Mete lost his ice time, and was sent to the taxi squad. In another season, he might not be waived, or claimed.

I was surprised to see that Mete has 199 NHL games at age 23. Dermott is about 18 months older, with 9 more NHL games and with better production on a high offence team.

I don't think Mete has top4 skills (on a good team), and will struggle to stay in the NHL as a 3rd pair smaller D. Those depth defencemen tend to be big and heavy PK type defenders. Mete will eat some minutes for Ottawa until the prospects supplant him. I'm expecting a 1 year, $750K contract for Mete.
Hammerwise liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll