Forums/Armchair-GM

Quick Turnaround

Created by: mac11_716
Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 29, 2021
Published: Jun. 30, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
By no means do I expect New Jersey and Calgary to go for these trades, but these are trades I would want to explore with compensation I would hope is somewhat along the lines of what could be expected.

This team would immediately compete and be set up well for long-term success without mortgaging the future. My idea was to ship out nearly all of the players who had been here during the losing, but keeping someone like Sam because he has shown he can be an extremely good player no matter who or where he plays, plus he has never been an issue. There is still plenty of youth and development that needs to happen here, but there are guys who can grow into roles as well as flexibility.

I would draft Owen Power first overall and let him go back to school, sign Reinhart long-term, and blow everything else up. Let the young guys play, especially with Granato now as head coach.

Free agents
You'll have to overpay to get anyone here, but clearing out a lot of the cap will allow for the team to do so. Saad is extremely experienced but still young enough to make an impact, while Foligno is another veteran who is a little bit past his prime but can contribute in a lower role and can play both wings and center. Dubnyk is older and coming off a poor season, so you can probably get him for cheap and to just be a backup. If he looks bad and UPL is ready, bring him up and cut/trade/demote Dubnyk.

Resignings
McCabe should be a relatively cheap option considering he's coming off an injury, plus I like him as a reliable player and he is a good leader. Dahlin is a no-brainer and so are most of the other young RFAs. Give them bridge deals.

Trades
This is obviously where the entire franchise changes. Eichel needs to be the first domino to fall as what you can get back for him can help facilitate other moves. Ristolainen and Mittelstadt, plus some of the young defensemen, can help push other moves over the top. I would probably even pay more to get Hughes and Wood, but getting an elite young center in here plus a physical player like Wood is huge for the future. Moving Bryson in that deal doesn't hurt much because of drafting Power and Ryan Johnson is a similar player. Tkachuk is another player who can really play a physical game but he can also score. Giving up Olofsson is tough, but Tkachuk is a major difference maker. Kuemper is a starting goalie in this league and can either be a one-year fix or be part of the solution long-term if UPL doesn't grab ahold of the starting job. De Haan is a good depth forward and can create a reliable defensive-defenseman partner for any of the young, more offensive minded guys. Moving Eakin and Girgensons out doesn't make me lose sleep.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$7,250,000
2$1,000,000
3$4,250,000
2$2,250,000
2$2,250,000
2$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,250,000
3$2,500,000
2$5,000,000
1$850,000
1$3,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Power, Owen
3$925,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Kuemper, Darcy
Additional Details:
Arizona has a log-jam in goal. This gives the Sabres a starter for at least one year while UPL gets experience and while giving Arizona a serviceable defenseman and frees up some cap space.
ARI
  1. Miller, Colin
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Sabres retain $1.5m
BUF
  1. Comtois, Maxime [RFA Rights]
  2. Perreault, Jacob
  3. Rakell, Rickard
  4. 2021 1st round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Most Ducks fans will complain about this, but if I included Zegras or Drysdale they would complain more. Jack Eichel is an elite player in the league and to get one you have to get up something. Comtois and Rakell are solid wingers that the Sabres need and Perreault helps build forward depth. The team could flip Rakell to another team at the deadline as well.
BUF
  1. Hughes, Jack
  2. Wood, Miles
  3. 2021 1st round pick (NYI)
  4. 2021 5th round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
For whatever reason I have had Jack Hughes to Buffalo stuck in my head for about a week and will keep throwing out scenarios like this until it is no longer a thought (or until Risto is traded).
Buffalo would be getting two major pieces that they would desperately need after moving Eichel. Hughes would become their elite center while Wood adds physicality. In return, they get pieces that can suit and type of direction the team wants to go. Mittelstadt and Bryson are young pieces on cheap deals that showed promise last year while Risto and Rakell are older players that can help win now on expiring deals, who they could also flip at the deadline.
In addition, the Sabres send the third overall pick where the Devils can take the best prospect available for their needs. Buffalo then would get back the Islanders first, which comes at the end of the round and a fifth.

I completely understand that New Jersey has no incentive to make this deal, I just really enjoy the thought of adding guys like Hughes and Wood to the Sabres.
BUF
  1. Tkachuk, Matthew
Additional Details:
Not sure if the Tkachuk rumors about wanting out are true, but either way, he is a RFA and if he doesn't want to be there, the team might consider moving him to get something rather than nothing.
Olofsson showed he is one of the best power play scorers in the league and has an elite shot. His 5-on-5 got better under Granato and can be a 20-30 goal scorer with good linemates. If he plays with Monahan and Gaudreau, he will be set up much like he was with Eichel and Reinhart.
Add in the Islanders first this year, the Sabres second (first pick of the second), and their second next year gives a decent haul of picks for Tkachuk, who the Sabres would extend.
CGY
  1. Olofsson, Victor
  2. 2021 1st round pick (NYI)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (BUF)
  4. 2022 2nd round pick (BUF)
BUF
    Sending a fourth to Seattle to get Eakin out of here.
    SEA
    1. Eakin, Cody
    2. 2021 4th round pick (BUF)
    BUF
    1. 2021 3rd round pick (NYI)
    Additional Details:
    I like Zemgus, but the team should do it's best to expunge themselves of players that have been here for all of the losing. Girgensons seems like he would be a perfect fit for the Islanders type of play.
    NYI
    1. Girgensons, Zemgus
    2. 2021 5th round pick (MTL)
    BUF
    1. De Haan, Calvin
    2. 2021 4th round pick (VAN)
    Additional Details:
    Chicago is in cap hell, especially with Toews coming back. I considered taking on Seabrook or Keith, but De Haan could actually fill a need for Buffalo and is still relatively productive. Chicago gives Buffalo a fourth for helping them out.
    CHI
    1. 2021 6th round pick (COL)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$74,149,750$113,916$3,700,000$7,350,250
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $850,000$850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
    Speak of the Devil
    Unfortunately for you, Hughes will not get moved
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 1:57 p.m.
    GO FLAMES GO
    Only way you get Tkachuk is a package for Eichel. That isn't even close
    flamesfan and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 2:16 p.m.
    The tkachuks rumors were 100% disproven by Friedman, dreger and pike. Tkachuk is untouchable , flames decline
    Gmonwy liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 2:16 p.m.
    Lenny7
    As a Ducks fan, there's really not much point in complaning. It's much easier to just point out that the 2nd worst team in the NHL trading a young top 6 winger, solid prospects, the 3rd overall pick, and their other best winger, all to acquire a player that *might* make them the 7th worst team in the NHL, seems extremely hilarious and short sighted, especially when one of the main issues Eichel has had with his time in Buffalo is that the team has consistently sucked, and not made the playoffs. I'm sure he'd love the fact that he could do the exact same thing in SoCal, except that the weather is better...When he turns around next summer and demands a trade to the team of his choice by holding the Ducks hostage with his NMC, everyone would be really, really happy.
    Salzy and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 2:17 p.m.
    I think if you take out Rakell and replace with Henrique that would be closer to what you will get. Maybe even Steel versus Perreault, knowing Steel can play at the NHL level and is still very young.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.
    Quoting: Lenny7
    As a Ducks fan, there's really not much point in complaning. It's much easier to just point out that the 2nd worst team in the NHL trading a young top 6 winger, solid prospects, the 3rd overall pick, and their other best winger, all to acquire a player that *might* make them the 7th worst team in the NHL, seems extremely hilarious and short sighted, especially when one of the main issues Eichel has had with his time in Buffalo is that the team has consistently sucked, and not made the playoffs. I'm sure he'd love the fact that he could do the exact same thing in SoCal, except that the weather is better...When he turns around next summer and demands a trade to the team of his choice by holding the Ducks hostage with his NMC, everyone would be really, really happy.

I didn't expect a Ducks fan to come at me even though I excluded Zegras and Drysdale ... I don't disagree with what you're saying from a standpoint that why is a team in the position that the Ducks are trading for Eichel, but guys like Dreger and Friedman are on the local sports station every week saying the Ducks are one of the teams most engaged in conversations with the Sabres about Eichel. While I don't necessarily love the idea of Buffalo giving up an elite young center, I can only go on what I hear from insiders. It doesn't make a great deal of sense from either team's standpoint, but all I'm saying is if they were to make a deal, this is probably what it will look like.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 2:35 p.m.
    Quoting: S_McCarthy11
    I didn't expect a Ducks fan to come at me even though I excluded Zegras and Drysdale ... I don't disagree with what you're saying from a standpoint that why is a team in the position that the Ducks are trading for Eichel, but guys like Dreger and Friedman are on the local sports station every week saying the Ducks are one of the teams most engaged in conversations with the Sabres about Eichel. While I don't necessarily love the idea of Buffalo giving up an elite young center, I can only go on what I hear from insiders. It doesn't make a great deal of sense from either team's standpoint, but all I'm saying is if they were to make a deal, this is probably what it will look like.

Dreger said today The Ducks arent as interested as it has been believed in Eichel

Minny is still the most logical spot to me
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 2:38 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Jack EIchel won't enjoy playing with Max Jones and Jakob Silfverberg any more than he enjoys playing with Jeff Skinner and Sam Reinhart now. Too bad he couldn't play with Maxime Comtois and Jacob Perreault for the next five years instead.
    Lenny7 and Salzy liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
    Lenny7
    Edited Jun. 30, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.

I mean, if I came off as someone who was "Coming at you", I apologize. Hard around here to not sound like a d1ck when you're trying your best to just be clear and concisetears of joy . As @salzy pointed out though, Dreger said today that the Ducks aren't really super interested.

Honestly, I absolutely still think that you're going to get a haul for Eichel, I just feel like Anaheim was only thrown out there as a potential landing spot in the first place because it was an easy spot to point to, what with the cap space, picks and prospects.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 3:18 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    I mean, if I came off as someone who was "Coming at you", I apologize. Hard around here to not sound like a d1ck when you're trying your best to just be clear and concisetears of joy . As salzy pointed out though, Dreger said today that the Ducks are really super interested.

Honestly, I absolutely still think that you're going to get a haul for Eichel, I just feel like Anaheim was only thrown out there as a potential landing spot in the first place because it was an easy spot to point to, what with the cap space, picks and prospects.

I hope that you meant to say "aren't really super interested."
    Lenny7 liked this.
    Jun. 30, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
    Lenny7
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    I hope that you meant to say "aren't really super interested."

Exactly. My bad!
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 1, 2021 at 9:05 a.m.

I mean, if I came off as someone who was "Coming at you", I apologize. Hard around here to not sound like a d1ck when you're trying your best to just be clear and concisetears of joy . As salzy pointed out though, Dreger said today that the Ducks aren't really super interested.

You're totally right haha it's my bad I shouldn't have been so defensive. I did hear that interview and I would agree because like you said, it doesn't make a ton of sense for the Ducks to want to acquire someone like Eichel with where the team currently stands. There are obviously good pieces and solid prospects down the pipe.

I just have no idea where they are going to move him. The Kings are the ideal spot with their center prospects, the Ducks are a great landing spot, and the Rangers have plenty of pieces to send back but they seem more stingy than any other team, plus every one of their fans thinks that two of their C-level prospects and a second will get the deal done.

Vegas might be the most realistic spot because they're win-now and will probably pony up because they are so aggressive and really need a number one center. Minnesota is a decent spot but they don't have a ton of top-level prospects. I just want a good return is all and for this saga to end.
    Lenny7 liked this.
    Jul. 1, 2021 at 9:07 a.m.
    Quoting: Salzy
    Dreger said today The Ducks arent as interested as it has been believed in Eichel

Minny is still the most logical spot to me

I think Vegas is a super logical spot too. They haven't been able to get over the hump and have made a ton of aggressive, win-now moves and they need a number-one center. They will have to offer several more prospects and picks to get it done, seeing as neither are elite level, but it would make sense as an aggressive team and sending Jack out west is what Buffalo would like to do.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll