Forums/Armchair-GM

Bob Stauffer no ret keith deal

Created by: jjkhairaELTE99
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 6, 2021
Published: Jul. 6, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Im not a fan of the no retain idea at all. I think ruins good cap space and helps everyone but edmonton. I just thought it be fun to play with Stauffer's dream. This purley to mess about and gage opinions on deals Ive been hearing from the fanbase. ONCE AGAIN I THINK ITS A DUMB IDEA TO ADD KEITH AT ANY CAP HIT ABOVE 3.5MIL AND WITHOUT A CONCRETE PLANS FOR MOVING ON FROM KOSKINEN AND NEAL.

just to prephase Keith deal happens at expansion draft.

1) Chi trade 1st and keith for jones and a 4th (going off model of recent no retain cap dump trades). They get their bargaining chip for Seth and space to sign him.
2) Edm move their own 1st to seattle for them to take neal. Saves about 1.1mil and appropriates neal money into keith. And they move from 19 to 11 in the draft. then draft cossa (or if he drops enough, eklund)
3) Seattle get a 1st (19th) and either neal works out till end of contract or they buy him out a the following yr. + another pick

Free Agents:
1. The goaltending: Although I am not a fan of the current tandem, this would help prevent having any dead buyout money during the following year. have this offseason focused on building strong depth and then work in net? Maybe with a good roster infront of them, some of the glaring issues with this tandem can be largely covered for and we get about the same goaltending we have gotten this year. then with dead money off the books on top of 6.5mil relieved in net, the oilers can aquire that missing piece between the pipes.

2. The D-core: not much to be done here other than finding a LHD option. Keith is not someone to have in a "carry the load" role anymore and should have sheltered minutes with either larsson or bouch. Russel can be that #7 option along with lagesson (or any dman in the system that surprises in camp). So I would target ryan murray. solid shutdown guy that play tough minutes and kill penalties that doesnt break the bank like oleksiak would

3. Upfront: Keeping kassian cause numerous insiders are saying he is getting protected in expansion and that he and archibald will take up 2 of the bottom 6 winger spots next year. lavoie has been great in the ahl and he + mcloed surely earn spots as well. that means all there is to find is a top 6 LW, 3rd line winger and a bottom 6 centre. For the centre I went with getlaf. I personally prefer a guy like zajac or even eric staal but oil country seemsto love the idea of getzlef regardless of how unrealistic it is. for the 3rd line winger I went with Goodrow because A) he is a cheaper coleman B) is a more realistic option given the bloodbath of a bidding war that is going to happen for coleman. Lastly is the top line winger for mcdavid. initially I thought of hall here but I doubt he comes to edmonton on a $6mil/yr deal. Hyman to me has bust written all over him so that leaves tatar, saad, or schwartz. Ultimately Saad has more a track record with playing with stars and is very dynamic with great 5v5 production so he was my choice.

I think this might be a step in the right direct for the team in general but I would say with this build it will at least be one more offseason before I would consider them being contenders. the hope is that the money saved next year can be used to find a solid goalie and cover an gaps this roster currently has.

ONE MORE TIME I FEEL KEITH AT 0 RENTENTION WOULD BE A VERY BAD IDEA. I AM JUST PLAY THE "WHAT IF" GAME SHOULD HOLLAND DO THE UNTHINKABLE
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,100,000
3$850,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
4$3,620,000
3$3,500,000
3$2,500,000
1$1,850,000
5$5,000,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Keith, Duncan
  2. 2021 1st round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. Jones, Caleb
  2. 2021 4th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. 2021 4th round pick (SEA)
SEA
  1. Neal, James
  2. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$78,320,301$669,339$940,000$3,179,699

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,620,000$3,620,000
RD
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
Really like this team. I think you can keep Lavoie in AHL for another year, sign another forward. Also I think adding a 2nd feels a bit much to the Neal trade. I would personally trade Bear for picks that we lost in the Athanasiou deal and use that money to keep Barrie
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
exo2769
That's a lot of writing for nothing. Hawks have already said they weren't looking to trade Keith away and AT WORST let Seattle to take him for Free.....so they're certainly not going to send a 1st with him. Caleb Jones is the most overrated player in the NHL right now. Stupid ridiculous overrated. He's a pawn...and everyone is saying he's a pawn...and yet somehow a pawn is getting a 1st?
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:30 p.m.
Hawks don't even want to trade kieth ion the first place, so i'm 100% certain we won't be attaching 11th OA with him to get a 24 year old 5th/6th dman
exo2769 and ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:35 p.m.
Shibbal18
Highly doubt Chicago is using a 11oa to move Keith.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:37 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: DripBayless
Really like this team. I think you can keep Lavoie in AHL for another year, sign another forward. Also I think adding a 2nd feels a bit much to the Neal trade. I would personally trade Bear for picks that we lost in the Athanasiou deal and use that money to keep Barrie

The mindset i had was to leave the prospect of decent cap space for next year as well with significant pieces needing to be resigned. Personally i just was fooling around to show how ridiculous taking keith even close to full salary is.
Gordies_Elbow liked this.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:39 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: Shibbal18
Highly doubt Chicago is using a 11oa to move Keith.

Just using other deals as a reference for gaining significant cap space. All either included a few 2nd rounders or a first for nada. Thought a first for a young asset + massive space would make up the difference. Ive been clear though that i think a keith deal where he comes to edmonton at over 3.5 is a mistake
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:41 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: Wadejos123
Hawks don't even want to trade kieth ion the first place, so i'm 100% certain we won't be attaching 11th OA with him to get a 24 year old 5th/6th dman

Youre paying for the space and trade piece. If chicago wants to get the space to get jones it costs a bit. Also im assuming seattle and the oilers play hardball so either Chicago screws themselves over by overpaying or keeping keith entirely
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:43 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: exo2769
That's a lot of writing for nothing. Hawks have already said they weren't looking to trade Keith away and AT WORST let Seattle to take him for Free.....so they're certainly not going to send a 1st with him. Caleb Jones is the most overrated player in the NHL right now. Stupid ridiculous overrated. He's a pawn...and everyone is saying he's a pawn...and yet somehow a pawn is getting a 1st?

Seattle wont be taking him for free. Why go for him when stillman will be available cause unless keith waives his nmc he has to be protected. He is a guy with top 4 up side who is young and cheap. Only reason he didnt play big minutes is cause tippett has his boys and sticks to him. Saying hes overrated when everyone knows what he is, is a bit much. The 1st is for the space and asset combo provided
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:50 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: jjkhairaELTE99
Seattle wont be taking him for free. Why go for him when stillman will be available cause unless keith waives his nmc he has to be protected. He is a guy with top 4 up side who is young and cheap. Only reason he didnt play big minutes is cause tippett has his boys and sticks to him. Saying hes overrated when everyone knows what he is, is a bit much. The 1st is for the space and asset combo provided

We both know that I'm not Ron Francis nor Stan Bowman. So, it's not like I'm in that conversation, but I have heard the rumors (including Elliotte Friedman whatever that means) the Ron Francis would be "excited" to have Duncan Keith on his team. He'd be their automatic 1st captain.

Keith would have to waive. Full NMC. It would be so that he's closer to his son. Riley Stillman gets protected over Zadorov and DeHaan. I personally wouldn't have it that way, but Stan just gave the kid a 3-year deal. Stillman gets protected either way...whether keith waives or not.

***EDIT*** I'm reading the other comments you've made and I think you're misunderstanding the biggest part. The Hawks are NOT looking to shed Keith. Keith has asked to be closer to his kid. EDM has jumped in and said there's mutual interest between EDM and Keith...for Keith to be in EDM. That Hawks a looking to help out someone that's done a ton for the Hawks organization, BUT they're not going to make the team worse. There are many other options available.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:55 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: exo2769
We both know that I'm not Ron Francis nor Stan Bowman. So, it's not like I'm in that conversation, but I have heard the rumors (including Elliotte Friedman whatever that means) the Ron Francis would be "excited" to have Duncan Keith on his team. He'd be their automatic 1st captain.

Keith would have to waive. Full NMC. It would be so that he's closer to his son. Riley Stillman gets protected over Zadorov and DeHaan. I personally wouldn't have it that way, but Stan just gave the kid a 3-year deal. Stillman gets protected either way...whether keith waives or not.

Thats the golden question. Will keith waive and would francis take keith even if he is waived. Francis is a ballbuster so anything can happen
exo2769 liked this.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
Youre paying for the space and trade piece. If chicago wants to get the space to get jones it costs a bit. Also im assuming seattle and the oilers play hardball so either Chicago screws themselves over by overpaying or keeping keith entirely

Go look at any hawks ACGM and inform youself on our cap situation. We have PLENTY of space without trading Kieth
Jul. 6, 2021 at 2:03 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Just used other deals for space as an framework. Given its a flat cap tye value of space goes up so just threw something up based on these
Jul. 6, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
I really like your mindset with this and 100% agree on multiple things. Draft target absolutely!! Keith with no retention seems absurd not saying it can’t work out but it’s such a large risk at a time should be very very very careful with cap space these are the deals that can cripple mcdavid and Leon’s prime.
jjkhairaELTE99 liked this.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 2:26 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Thats why im opposed to the idea all together. To be a contender a gm needs to take risk but it needs to be calculated. Keith at full cap is a risk that is unecesary. Also thats wgy left as much space as i did because that plus finished contracts allows for one more good fa and then go for cups
Jul. 6, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
Thats why im opposed to the idea all together. To be a contender a gm needs to take risk but it needs to be calculated. Keith at full cap is a risk that is unecesary. Also thats wgy left as much space as i did because that plus finished contracts allows for one more good fa and then go for cups

Really appreciate this thread.

Keith for no retention, or buyout Neal + a free agent left defender at $3,621,795?

Both cost the same under the cap.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
Just using other deals as a reference for gaining significant cap space. All either included a few 2nd rounders or a first for nada. Thought a first for a young asset + massive space would make up the difference. Ive been clear though that i think a keith deal where he comes to edmonton at over 3.5 is a mistake

Dude, Hawks don't need cap space. We are going into this season with an enormous amount of space. Hawks don't want to dump Keith, he's hardly a cap dump as he's still a very good #4 on the 2nd line. Bottom line, Hawks aren't trading Keith retained for just Jones and they sure as **** aren't moving their 1st. All the speculation out of reputable writers is saying Edmonton is including jones plus for Keith retained. I've seen a 2nd rounder to a 4th rounder going back to Chicago. Chicago can take Neal back, but again, that will cost as Neal is not even serviceable.
Jul. 6, 2021 at 3:58 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: Gordies_Elbow
Really appreciate this thread.

Keith for no retention, or buyout Neal + a free agent left defender at $3,621,795?

Both cost the same under the cap.

True. I thought about worst case scenario (keith no retain) and tried to find the best outcome. Its not great by any means but i think this roster sets us up for a step forward
Jul. 6, 2021 at 4:05 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: ChiHawk
Dude, Hawks don't need cap space. We are going into this season with an enormous amount of space. Hawks don't want to dump Keith, he's hardly a cap dump as he's still a very good #4 on the 2nd line. Bottom line, Hawks aren't trading Keith retained for just Jones and they sure as **** aren't moving their 1st. All the speculation out of reputable writers is saying Edmonton is including jones plus for Keith retained. I've seen a 2nd rounder to a 4th rounder going back to Chicago. Chicago can take Neal back, but again, that will cost as Neal is not even serviceable.

Zero retained was the whole moto of the team formed. A 1st for an extra 4+mil in cap space + a prospect is worth alot ina flat cap world. Thats why i found a 3 team deal is the best way for all parties to get what they want out of the trade.

Chi: get extra space and fufill keiths wishes and get a young dman asset
Edm: move up in the draft to secure cossa, get the vet holland wants and move out neal
SEA: get a extra 1st and a contract that can be managed and can gain a solid leader in neal if healthy.

Keith isnt entirely a cap dump, hence adding jones but cap hit in a flat cap when he has declined over the last 3 yrs carries something. This deal benefits all parties. If anybody is hurt its edmonton cause cap room becomes not as flexible but ryan murray being at a reduced value because NJ is bad helps cause on a decent team he has proven to be a great shutdown guy
Jul. 8, 2021 at 6:41 p.m.
Cole Harbour Boy
I came, i saw, and i dont hate it. 2 things. Swap Getzlaf and McLeod. And Lavoie wont make the NHL before Holloway Imho
Jul. 9, 2021 at 3:31 a.m.
Meme Enthusiast
Quoting: Drai_By_shooting
I came, i saw, and i dont hate it. 2 things. Swap Getzlaf and McLeod. And Lavoie wont make the NHL before Holloway Imho

I think lavoie gets called up first because he been in ahl longer and that kind of how kenny holland rolls. Unless holloway is lights out to a ridiculous extent in camp he starts the year in the ahl while lavoie has a legit shot getting in as a bullet for the 3rd/4th line. I have the getzlaf/mcloed bottom 6 interchangeable
Jul. 9, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
Cole Harbour Boy
I think lavoie gets called up first because he been in ahl longer and that kind of how kenny holland rolls. Unless holloway is lights out to a ridiculous extent in camp he starts the year in the ahl while lavoie has a legit shot getting in as a bullet for the 3rd/4th line. I have the getzlaf/mcloed bottom 6 interchangeable

Now i went and did another thing lol.
"Duchene to Oil Now 3 lines deep"
jjkhairaELTE99 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll