SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Tampa Bay Lightning

Now that we won.... who do we protect

Jul. 8, 2021 at 5:32 p.m.
I want Gourde back
I'm worried the team is going to protect McDonagh. Don't get me wrong he's great and losing him could prove costly, but I think that if Seattle is just gonna take almost 7M off our hands we have to cut our losses and take it.

This is who I'd protect:

Kucherov
Point
Cirelli
Stamkos
Gourde
Colton
Joseph
Hedman
Sergachev
Cernak
Vasilevskiy

Notable pick possibilities (under contract or RFA):

McDonagh
Palat
Killorn
Johnson
Foote
Maroon
Stephens
Rutta
Raddysh
Katchouk
Barre-Boulet

Notable pick possibilites (UFA):

These players would most likely have to agree to a contract with Seattle before the Expansion draft

Coleman (definitely the most likely of the UFA's)
Goodrow
Savard
Schenn

tbh there's so many players the Kraken could pick from the lightning and it depends if they're going young (Foote or ABB) or competitive (endless choices)
Jul. 8, 2021 at 7:52 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
The issue I take with not protecting McDonagh is what other defenseman are we going to get that can outscore opposing teams by 20 goals when they're on the ice at even strength in the playoffs? The strength of the team is our left handed defensemen depth, and we should keep them all if we're still trying to win.

I think the fear of losing someone young might be overblown a bit. If we go 4-4 protection with:
Stamkos
Point
Kucherov
Cirelli
Hedman
McDonagh
Sergachev
Cernak
Then we're going to have great value players like Gourde, Killorn, and Palat available. If you're Seattle, why would you not take cup winning talent over a potential bust like Foote (potential simply because he hasn't proven to be a full-time player yet)? Without giving them incentive to take someone specific, I think we lose Gourde or Killorn.
Jul. 8, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
I want Gourde back
Quoting: CoopsTroops
The issue I take with not protecting McDonagh is what other defenseman are we going to get that can outscore opposing teams by 20 goals when they're on the ice at even strength in the playoffs? The strength of the team is our left handed defensemen depth, and we should keep them all if we're still trying to win.

I think the fear of losing someone young might be overblown a bit. If we go 4-4 protection with:
Stamkos
Point
Kucherov
Cirelli
Hedman
McDonagh
Sergachev
Cernak
Then we're going to have great value players like Gourde, Killorn, and Palat available. If you're Seattle, why would you not take cup winning talent over a potential bust like Foote (potential simply because he hasn't proven to be a full-time player yet)? Without giving them incentive to take someone specific, I think we lose Gourde or Killorn.

See that's where I worry. The power play (which is very important to our game) looked lost without Killorn. And if we lose Gourde our 3rd line will be nothing when it has been so good and so important for 2 years now. Don't get me wrong I think Johnson would be a great 3C, but not if you want that to be your checking line.
Jul. 8, 2021 at 8:10 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
Quoting: imawesome
See that's where I worry. The power play (which is very important to our game) looked lost without Killorn. And if we lose Gourde our 3rd line will be nothing when it has been so good and so important for 2 years now. Don't get me wrong I think Johnson would be a great 3C, but not if you want that to be your checking line.

Gourde > Killorn, so I'd pay to protect him. Cirelli needs more reps on screening the goalie and he'd be fine.

But I think the PP was slowing down due to multiple reasons. Killorn out, Kucherov fractured rib, and they never even attempted to give Stamkos a 1-timer after game 1. He was playing through something prohibiting him at the end.
imawesome liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll