SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Minimum protection numbers for Kraken Expansion Draft - Can you protect LESS THAN the maximum number? And can you turn that into a trade value??

Jul. 8, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.
A question came up recently concerning the number of players a team can protect in the upcoming Kraken expansion draft. Is it possible to protect less than the maximum number? I know this is probably a rhetorical question, and probably not very likely to happen

For instance, suppose a team is still in the tear-down and rebuild stage. They have plenty of exempt prospects/less than two year pros on the roster, so there is no need to protect them. Plus, they have plenty of older players with bad contracts that they'd like to get rid of. Can the GM protect just five players and leave the rest exposed? (I'm not sure I'd do this as a GM - admit that my team has only 5 players that I'd like to keep, and the rest of the roster is trash - but maybe I was just hired as the new GM and I'm cleaning house).

Now, let's assume that I can protect less than the maximum number, so I have spots available? Can I use that as trade value? Say I make a trade with another team for one of their players that they don't have room to protect but don't want to expose, for say, a 5th round draft choice. I then place that player on my protected list. Once the expansion draft is over, I then trade the acquired player back to his original team, and in return I get my original 5th round pick back, and also their 2nd round draft pick. So, in effect, I am protecting their player for their 2nd round draft pick. Is this possible???

I know this is all highly unlikely, but still, is it possible, within the NHL rules????
Jul. 9, 2021 at 8:07 a.m.
Quoting: Raise28ToTheRafters
A question came up recently concerning the number of players a team can protect in the upcoming Kraken expansion draft. Is it possible to protect less than the maximum number? I know this is probably a rhetorical question, and probably not very likely to happen

For instance, suppose a team is still in the tear-down and rebuild stage. They have plenty of exempt prospects/less than two year pros on the roster, so there is no need to protect them. Plus, they have plenty of older players with bad contracts that they'd like to get rid of. Can the GM protect just five players and leave the rest exposed? (I'm not sure I'd do this as a GM - admit that my team has only 5 players that I'd like to keep, and the rest of the roster is trash - but maybe I was just hired as the new GM and I'm cleaning house).

Now, let's assume that I can protect less than the maximum number, so I have spots available? Can I use that as trade value? Say I make a trade with another team for one of their players that they don't have room to protect but don't want to expose, for say, a 5th round draft choice. I then place that player on my protected list. Once the expansion draft is over, I then trade the acquired player back to his original team, and in return I get my original 5th round pick back, and also their 2nd round draft pick. So, in effect, I am protecting their player for their 2nd round draft pick. Is this possible???

I know this is all highly unlikely, but still, is it possible, within the NHL rules????

No, you have to protect either 8 skaters and a goalie
Or 7 forwards, 3 D and a goalie, you cannot protect less

And also the scenario seems like if it did happens the NHL would immediately add a rule that says you can’t do this
Jul. 9, 2021 at 9:03 a.m.
What in tarnation

Technically it's not allowed, but teams could in theory just protect pending UFAs to leave as many bad contracts as possible available.
Jul. 11, 2021 at 1:11 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
No, you have to protect either 8 skaters and a goalie
Or 7 forwards, 3 D and a goalie, you cannot protect less

And also the scenario seems like if it did happens the NHL would immediately add a rule that says you can’t do this

As long as you have the required amount of eligible players exposed it's a moot point really. Expiring UFAs, AHL lifers, etc could be added as filler just as easy as leaving the list blank and server the same purpose.
Jul. 11, 2021 at 12:51 p.m.

No GM competent enough to get anywhere near an NHL job would do this.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 13, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.
You can expose all the bad contracts and players you don't want, the fact remains you will only lose one of them anyway. There will be one guy off your roster that the Kraken will take and no amount of hoping and praying will make them take a long, expensive, past their contract unless there is a prior deal made and again, you only lose one guy.

Which team are you talking about and who are the guys you would protect?
A_Habs_fan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll