Forums/Armchair-GM

Tarasenko and Hamilton

Created by: SaskCanesFan
Team: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 9, 2021
Published: Jul. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If the Canes want to take the next step to Cup contender, they need to add some more scoring punch and upgrade the bottom 6. These moves leave them with very little cap room and some tough choices to make in 2022-23, but with an improved roster that has the depth and firepower to make a Cup run. Svech and Nedjelkovic get bridge deals, pushing off the long term big $ contracts to when the Cap is hopefully rising. After the season at least one of Nino or Trochek will have to go to make room for Necas' raise, but a prospect like Jarvis or Drury should be able to step in and contribute after another year of development.

Hamilton re-signing is dependent on him liking the fit in Carolina above anywhere else, and the Canes being able to offer an 8th year to spread the money out. If he just wants the highest AAV possible it'll come from somewhere else.

Canes are taking a potential risk on Tarasenko, but for the right price I think its a high upside gamble that's worth the move. Foegele is a solid middle 6 winger right now and a good play driver looking for a bigger role that just doesn't seem to fit the Canes plans. I think Foegele, Suzuki, and a 1st is somwhat of an overpay for Tarasenko right now considering the circumstances around him being moved, so added salary retention and a Scandella for Skjei swap to balance things out and allows the Canes to make some other moves. If the Blues hate the D swap it could be eliminated but I'd probably downgrade either the pick or Suzuki in that scenario.

Nino being pushed down the chart and the addition of Tatar creates a really deep top 9 that should be able to hang with anyone. Bit of a youth movement on the 4th line, I like keeping McGinn around for the veteran presence and PK ability plus he can move up the lineup in a pinch. I like the D better with $5-6M spread out on Scandella and a Miller/Montour type instead of Skjei and a depth guy like Hakanpaa. In this scenario I got enough retention on Miller to make signing Mrazek possible, but if a person wants to save on a cheaper goalie then there's more money to spend on the D instead.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$825,000
3$825,000
3$825,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,500,000
2$950,000
3$6,500,000
1$1,050,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,250,000
8$7,750,000
2$2,250,000
2$3,250,000
Trades
CAR
    Expansion Draft deal to take Gardiner
    SEA
    1. Fast, Jesper
    2. Gardiner, Jake
    3. 2021 1st round pick (CAR)
    CAR
    STL
    1. Foegele, Warren [RFA Rights]
    2. Skjei, Brady
    3. Suzuki, Ryan
    4. 2022 1st round pick (CAR)
    Additional Details:
    Foegele is looking for an expanded role and has good underlying numbers, but the Canes need more scoring. Swapped Scandella-Skjei to help the Canes with the cap and the Blues get a bit younger
    CAR
    1. Miller, Colin ($1,875,000 retained)
    BUF
    1. 2021 2nd round pick (CAR)
    Additional Details:
    This might be a deal with Seattle instead of Buffalo depending on the expansion draft. 2nd is mainly for the high salary retention.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$77,548,583$0$537,500$3,951,417
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $8,460,250$8,460,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the St. Louis Blues
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $725,000$725,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    C, RW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    Logo of the St. Louis Blues
    $3,275,000$3,275,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,025,000$4,025,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    G
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:59 p.m.
    STL
    I would take this in a heartbeat. SEA would likely have to choose between Dunn and Skjei (they still take Dunn I think). Whoever we’re left with would be our second-pairing LD. Scandella is nice to just be rid of the contract so that leaves Tarasenko for Foegele, Suzuki and a 1st. Way more than I would expect.
    SaskCanesFan and A_K liked this.
    Jul. 9, 2021 at 8:01 p.m.
    Your Mom’s Aho
    i like this a lot
    SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jul. 9, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
    Quoting: jwg314
    I would take this in a heartbeat. SEA would likely have to choose between Dunn and Skjei (they still take Dunn I think). Whoever we’re left with would be our second-pairing LD. Scandella is nice to just be rid of the contract so that leaves Tarasenko for Foegele, Suzuki and a 1st. Way more than I would expect.

Cool, good to know! Maybe I'm over rating Scandella if you'd be happy just to be rid of his contract lol. Has his play really fallen off, I thought he'd be decent in that role? Maybe a slight downgrade from Skjei and a bit older, but the cap savings facilitate other moves for the Canes which is the main thing to me.
    Jul. 9, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
    STL
    Quoting: SaskCanesFan
    Cool, good to know! Maybe I'm over rating Scandella if you'd be happy just to be rid of his contract lol. Has his play really fallen off, I thought he'd be decent in that role? Maybe a slight downgrade from Skjei and a bit older, but the cap savings facilitate other moves for the Canes which is the main thing to me.

He’s not bad but he’s more suitable as a bottom-pairing guy and should be paid as such. Defensive-minded and can play PK.
    SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jul. 9, 2021 at 9:42 p.m.
    Huge pass on spending that much for tarasenko or paying Seattle that much to take Gardiner and Fast.
    Jul. 9, 2021 at 10:21 p.m.
    I like the concept and really well thought out but I think including Suzuki is unnecessary in the Tara deal. Would imagine the next couple of guys just below Suzuki would still be enough.

I also don’t mind the idea of moving Skjei but would probably have a couple of other deals to move him for assets and then acquire another second pairing guy via a different trade.
    SaskCanesFan liked this.
    Jul. 13, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
    Quoting: jwg314
    He’s not bad but he’s more suitable as a bottom-pairing guy and should be paid as such. Defensive-minded and can play PK.

Thanks. Honestly that's not a bad thing, I think that style would fit in well with the Canes other D. Out of curiosity would you think the deal is still acceptable with Dunn in place of Scandella or not?
    Jul. 13, 2021 at 6:51 p.m.
    Quoting: vikhodush
    I like the concept and really well thought out but I think including Suzuki is unnecessary in the Tara deal. Would imagine the next couple of guys just below Suzuki would still be enough.

I also don’t mind the idea of moving Skjei but would probably have a couple of other deals to move him for assets and then acquire another second pairing guy via a different trade.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I think the trade is probably an overpayment, especially considering the reaction of a Blues fan in the first comment saying he'd take it in a heartbeat. I didn't want to be a Canes homer and throw a lowball offer in though, and this way I think it kinda shows that even in a worst case, overpayment scenario the Canes system is capable of absorbing the loss. But ideally sub in someone like Rees for Suzuki or downgrade the pick to a 2nd.

As to your couple other trades idea to replace Skjei with a different second pairing guy, I don't disagree, just wonder if you have any specific names in mind? I'm sure there's probably a better combination of trades with other teams out there, I just didn't have anyone specific coming to me and had seen a Scandella/Skjei swap in another one of these mocks and liked the simplicity of it. If someone suggested a series of moves that netted out better in the end I'll gladly run another Armchair GM with those moves instead.
    vikhodush liked this.
    Jul. 13, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
    Quoting: SaskCanesFan
    Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I think the trade is probably an overpayment, especially considering the reaction of a Blues fan in the first comment saying he'd take it in a heartbeat. I didn't want to be a Canes homer and throw a lowball offer in though, and this way I think it kinda shows that even in a worst case, overpayment scenario the Canes system is capable of absorbing the loss. But ideally sub in someone like Rees for Suzuki or downgrade the pick to a 2nd.

As to your couple other trades idea to replace Skjei with a different second pairing guy, I don't disagree, just wonder if you have any specific names in mind? I'm sure there's probably a better combination of trades with other teams out there, I just didn't have anyone specific coming to me and had seen a Scandella/Skjei swap in another one of these mocks and liked the simplicity of it. If someone suggested a series of moves that netted out better in the end I'll gladly run another Armchair GM with those moves instead.

Yeah that’s fair. In terms of trade targets maybe Graves, Gavrikov, Schmidt (would have to be the right offer since it’s a higher cap, maybe retention although they don’t want to do that on his deal or a package that clears Gardiner) or Dunn. UFAs maybe Martinez or I really like oleksiak. Suter if the price is right - think playing with Pesce would be great for him.

Fleury would’ve been a good option had we kept him honestly.

It gets complicated bc of expansion draft but I guess if you’re moving Skjei and potentially Bean you could take on a D in a trade that you’d protect.
    SaskCanesFan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll