SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Julien Fired, Chara wants out

Team: 2016-17 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 8, 2017
Published: Feb. 8, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Bruins pull the plug on a frustrating season. Chara isn't adapting to the new uptempo system instilled by interim coach Bruce Cassidy. Without Claude Julien and his system Chara requests a trade. St Louis tries to get some asset out of Shattenkirk before he walks and make a push for the playoffs.

Blues fans, Avs fans, Bruins fans, NHL fans, tell me why I'm wrong ;-)
Trades
BOS
  1. Berglund, Patrik
  2. Shattenkirk, Kevin
  3. Yakupov, Nail
  4. 2017 5th round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
St Louis receives in Chara a minute munching LD, former captain and playoff vet, that plays excellent PK and EV. Has one more year at $4M. Moore, veteran productive 4C. Liles LD&RD playoff depth. Both with expiring contracts (rentals).
STL
  1. Chara, Zdeno
  2. Liles, John-Michael
  3. Moore, Dominic
Additional Details:
Boston gets an opportunity to court Shattenkirk to gauge interest and fit. Take on expensive, unproductive, expiring contracts in Berglund and Yakupov (cap dumps). 5th RDP is compensation for the bargain extra year on Chara's contract.
COL
  1. Carlo, Brandon
  2. Hayes, Jimmy
  3. Heinen, Danton
  4. 2018 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
This one probably doesn't happen until after the expansion draft. Avs get Carlo, young cost controlled RD (COL native), Hayes (cap dump, one more year) and Heinen, a versatile Fwd who played college in COL. Could sub Debrusk or another LW instead of Heinen.
BOS
ANA
  1. Beleskey, Matt
Additional Details:
Vegas. Or McQuaid or K Miller. Even if they need a draft pick to do it.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$73,000,000$64,248,096$0$132,500$8,751,904
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
UFA - 5
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,700,000$3,700,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$600,000$600,000
LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,592,500$2,592,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$817,500$817,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 8, 2017 at 2:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Just my opinion of Landeskog, I don't think he really worth 5.6m salary and to give up Carlo for him. Of course many Avs fan, think getting just one NHLer in Carlo back for Landy isn't enough.
Feb. 8, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Overall, not sure why STL would give up the more valuable players for less, and for contracts that expire this year...

Blues are in the same place as the Bruins, hoping to make the playoffs without ruining the future. STL won't trade for upcoming UFAs in their 30s, they'll trade for picks/prospects, or they'll keep their own "rentals".
Feb. 8, 2017 at 3:11 p.m.
Carlo looks like he should join McAvoy as an Untouchable, and the future on the Back end of the Bruins.
Feb. 8, 2017 at 3:50 p.m.
lol STL wants nothing to do with Moore or Liles and probably not Chara either thats awful.
Feb. 8, 2017 at 6:21 p.m.
Quoting: adamoats44
lol STL wants nothing to do with Moore or Liles and probably not Chara either thats awful.

I didn't ask if it was awful or good or correct. In my description I asked why. Not sure even as a Bruins fan if I'd want to give up Chara. Tell me why Chara, Moore and Liles are awful for StL. I know why they would be a good fit. Moore is as good a 4C/LW you'll find, excellent PK and FO, Liles is a depth defenseman that is versitile in many ways and exactly what playoff teams look to add for the inevitable injury. Chara still plays 22+minutes a night against the best lines in the league, is an excellent PK, proven leader and playoff performer and is signed for a cheap $4M next year. Might not be accurate trade value, but not awful players, especially for a playoff run.
Feb. 8, 2017 at 6:24 p.m.
Quoting: Canadian_Rednek
Carlo looks like he should join McAvoy as an Untouchable, and the future on the Back end of the Bruins.

I agree with you. Carlo has very good potential. Has hit a bit of a wall recently, but may be due to fatigue. Between him and McAvoy the RD future looks promising. Bruins also have very good LW prospect depth, so I'm not sure I like it if they are in a rebuild/reload.
Feb. 8, 2017 at 6:49 p.m.
Quoting: AK_tune
Overall, not sure why STL would give up the more valuable players for less, and for contracts that expire this year...

Blues are in the same place as the Bruins, hoping to make the playoffs without ruining the future. STL won't trade for upcoming UFAs in their 30s, they'll trade for picks/prospects, or they'll keep their own "rentals".

I wouldn't have proposed the trade if I thought they were more valuable. What does StL need right now? From my view I see Shattenkirk who is walking as a UFA at the end of the year and three RD with not enough playing time. I see Berglund who has generally under performed/overpaid and a Yakupov who EDM couldn't give away and has done nothing for the Blues and probably won't be resigned as an RFA. I see the LD side of StL as weak and Chara as a huge(not just literal) addition and quite possibly the most valuable piece because of his extra contract year at $4M. I agree that the two franchises are in very similar states. Should just merge the two and make one good team, lol.
Feb. 8, 2017 at 6:56 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Just my opinion of Landeskog, I don't think he really worth 5.6m salary and to give up Carlo for him. Of course many Avs fan, think getting just one NHLer in Carlo back for Landy isn't enough.

I've seen many of the expected returns from AVS fans and this is probably too low for them, lol. I just like the thought of Landeskog in a Bruins uni and cruising on Krejci's LW with another born to be a Bruin, Backes, on RW. All three probably overpaid, but hey, I'm a Bruins fan and we like our character, intangible, power forwards. RD is also the rarest position to fill at an exceptional level, so losing Carlo or McAvoy might really hurt long term.
Feb. 9, 2017 at 12:14 a.m.
You couldn't get Shatty by himself for the 3 your offering and you want them to throw in 2 more players and a pick? Seriously?
Feb. 9, 2017 at 12:31 a.m.
ShamRock Bruins
Landeskog is not worth Carlo himself for me. I know and understand Colorado is asking for a deal like this, but I have no idea why. Sure he's a decent player, respectable leader etc., but he is very overvalued and not worth arguably our best defensive prospect as well as picks etc...Would I like to add Landy? Sure. I actually think he's a typical Bruin prototype. Big, power forward, multi-faceted player, but not at the price Colorado is asking. Can't do it
Feb. 9, 2017 at 8:48 a.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
You couldn't get Shatty by himself for the 3 your offering and you want them to throw in 2 more players and a pick? Seriously?

Why is Shattenkirk worth so much? He's a UFA at the end of the year. He runs a great PP, beyond that he is quite ordinary. Chara runs a great PK and is the superior EV player. He's also signed for one more year. The other players are just matching salaries and rearranging the lawn furniture.
Feb. 9, 2017 at 8:50 a.m.
Quoting: diplomats356
Landeskog is not worth Carlo himself for me. I know and understand Colorado is asking for a deal like this, but I have no idea why. Sure he's a decent player, respectable leader etc., but he is very overvalued and not worth arguably our best defensive prospect as well as picks etc...Would I like to add Landy? Sure. I actually think he's a typical Bruin prototype. Big, power forward, multi-faceted player, but not at the price Colorado is asking. Can't do it

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to move Carlo either. Boston has many interesting D prospects but only one other RD. Long term LW is the last thing the Bruins need.
Feb. 9, 2017 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: keepcalmandbergeron

Why is Shattenkirk worth so much? He's a UFA at the end of the year. He runs a great PP, beyond that he is quite ordinary. Chara runs a great PK and is the superior EV player. He's also signed for one more year. The other players are just matching salaries and rearranging the lawn furniture.

The Blues have offered to do a sign and trade with Shatty to increase their return but nobody is interested due to not knowing what the cap will be. But there are numerous teams interested in him as a rental. While that does decrease his trade value it won't be by much. Offensive defenseman carry a premium price tag and Shatty is one of the better ones. It's going to take more than 37 year old 4th liner a 35 year old 3rd pairing D man both with marginal skills and both rentals as well and a 40 years old statue. They'd be better off holding onto him. Just because he's a FA at the end of the year does not mean they have to trade him. Sure it would be better to get something for him rather than let him go for nothing if they are unable to re-sign him, but not if its a minimal return. That trade does not make them better this year or in the future. There is no incentive at all. They asked for Pasta and a #1 during the offseason. Even with his value diminished as a rental it is going to take a couple of high picks or a good young player and a pick, not spare parts and a has been. Sorry. You are way overvaluing the players on what I assume is your favorite team. It's fairly common for most armchair GM's.
Feb. 9, 2017 at 9:16 p.m.

The Blues have offered to do a sign and trade with Shatty to increase their return but nobody is interested due to not knowing what the cap will be. But there are numerous teams interested in him as a rental. While that does decrease his trade value it won't be by much. Offensive defenseman carry a premium price tag and Shatty is one of the better ones. It's going to take more than 37 year old 4th liner a 35 year old 3rd pairing D man both with marginal skills and both rentals as well and a 40 years old statue. They'd be better off holding onto him. Just because he's a FA at the end of the year does not mean they have to trade him. Sure it would be better to get something for him rather than let him go for nothing if they are unable to re-sign him, but not if its a minimal return. That trade does not make them better this year or in the future. There is no incentive at all. They asked for Pasta and a #1 during the offseason. Even with his value diminished as a rental it is going to take a couple of high picks or a good young player and a pick, not spare parts and a has been. Sorry. You are way overvaluing the players on what I assume is your favorite team. It's fairly common for most armchair GM's.

As with all things, actual value isn't proven until sold. In this case Shattenkirk may eventually get high draft picks and/or young proven players. Or not, he may just walk. In that case all he was worth was the 3-4 months of playing time. Loui Eriksson was the example last year, same situation. Current trade dealine value I'd put on Chara 1st, 3rd & a prospect, Liles 3rd or 4th, Moore 5th. Shattenkirk a 1st, 2nd & a prospect (Yandle), Berglund 3rd, Yakupov 6th or 7th if anything. Don't think my values are off by much, whether they play for my favorite team or not.
Feb. 10, 2017 at 12:45 a.m.

As with all things, actual value isn't proven until sold. In this case Shattenkirk may eventually get high draft picks and/or young proven players. Or not, he may just walk. In that case all he was worth was the 3-4 months of playing time. Loui Eriksson was the example last year, same situation. Current trade dealine value I'd put on Chara 1st, 3rd & a prospect, Liles 3rd or 4th, Moore 5th. Shattenkirk a 1st, 2nd & a prospect (Yandle), Berglund 3rd, Yakupov 6th or 7th if anything. Don't think my values are off by much, whether they play for my favorite team or not.
f

I'd swap Liles and Moores value but that's minor. Only real issue I have is Chare that was his value a few years ago. Id say more like a pair of 2's for him unless someone was desperate or foolish. Everyone is skating circles around him out there. He uses his smarts , positioning, and size/reach well to compensate. You basically have Shatty and Chara as equal. I doubt anyone outside of Bruins fans (and I am one) would consider Shatty for Chara straight up was an even trade. Hell the Ducks wanted a #1 for Fowler and couldn't find any takers. Chara as a 1 a 3 and a prospect? If we can get it I'm all in!
Feb. 10, 2017 at 12:14 p.m.

f

I'd swap Liles and Moores value but that's minor. Only real issue I have is Chare that was his value a few years ago. Id say more like a pair of 2's for him unless someone was desperate or foolish. Everyone is skating circles around him out there. He uses his smarts , positioning, and size/reach well to compensate. You basically have Shatty and Chara as equal. I doubt anyone outside of Bruins fans (and I am one) would consider Shatty for Chara straight up was an even trade. Hell the Ducks wanted a #1 for Fowler and couldn't find any takers. Chara as a 1 a 3 and a prospect? If we can get it I'm all in!

Not sure what's going to happen with Chara. Maybe a Bourque lik exit. My thought when comparing Shattenkirk and Chara is that extra year at $4M. I very reasonable cap hit for a defenseman who can anchor a second pairing quite easily with the right partner. I'm of the opinion Chara can have whatever he wants. He is the biggest reason why the Boston Bruins franchise got turned in the right direction. Boychuck got two seconds at his peak on his way to UFA and Chara is still better(my opinion). Hadn't heard that Fowler rumor. Thought he would be a good short term fix for Boston short term on the LD. But not for Boston's 1st, might be pretty high this summer, although last night's game looked promising.
Feb. 11, 2017 at 11:53 a.m.
f

Not sure what's going to happen with Chara. Maybe a Bourque lik exit. My thought when comparing Shattenkirk and Chara is that extra year at $4M. I very reasonable cap hit for a defenseman who can anchor a second pairing quite easily with the right partner. I'm of the opinion Chara can have whatever he wants. He is the biggest reason why the Boston Bruins franchise got turned in the right direction. Boychuck got two seconds at his peak on his way to UFA and Chara is still better(my opinion). Hadn't heard that Fowler rumor. Thought he would be a good short term fix for Boston short term on the LD. But not for Boston's 1st, might be pretty high this summer, although last night's game looked promising.

With his NMC and his love for Boston I imagine he finishes his career there. Time will tell.

The Ducks have a cap problem and an expansion draft problem They wanted a #1 for Fowler to free up cap space and allow them to protect 7-3 rather than 4-4. They got some interest, closest was Edmonton but in the end everyone passed and now Fowler is having his best season. They still have a cap and expansion draft problem because of Bieska's NMC. The have to protect him and will protect Vatanaan and Lindolm. With only 1 year left on his deal they may still try to move Fowler. If they protect him as a 4th D man it means they can only protect 4 FW leaving Silfvberg exposed.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll