SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

How many games does someone have to play forward before they would be able to be protected as a forward in the expansion draft?

Jul. 15, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
Sam Morin played both LD and LW for PHI and is listed as a forward for the expansion draft (at least on capfriendly, not sure about official expansion draft lists). Say hypothetically if STL played Vince Dunn at LW for a few games last season could they have also listed him as a forward for the purposes of the expansion draft? That would allow them to protect Parayko, Faulk, and Krug as the 3 D men, then Dunn + 6 other forwards as the 7 forwards. I know the NHL would probably think this is a loophole, and it is, but I havent read any rules that explicitly say teams could not do this. Especially for bottom feeding teams who arent close to the playoffs, they couldve committed to this strategy and played a D man at forward for a significant portion of the season if they really wanted to
Jul. 16, 2021 at 7:30 a.m.
I’m pretty sure for forwards and D’s it’s the same amount of games
Jul. 16, 2021 at 10:31 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I’m pretty sure for forwards and D’s it’s the same amount of games

But how many? Could you just put a D man at forward for 1 game then list him as a F for the expansion draft?
Jul. 16, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.
Quoting: moli92
But how many? Could you just put a D man at forward for 1 game then list him as a F for the expansion draft?

Pretty sure to meet the expansion requirements for skaters, you have to have played 28 games this season or something like 60 in the past 2 years. I imagine your position listed will be the one you played the most during the season so your scenario isn’t possible

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll