Forums/Armchair-GM

Off Season Idea Without Hamilton

Created by: bass8151
Team: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 17, 2021
Published: Jul. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Ducks trade is explained in the trade, as is the expansion draft pick.

Reimer over Mrazek is a really hard one, I think that Petr Mrazek is a phenomenal goalie, but his issue is he needs to in a way be the guy and get lots of reps in order to stay in the rhythm and if he can not be the guy, I think he will go out and look for places with potential openings like say a Edmonton who has been interested in him in the past. I think Reimer could be a very good stable backup for Nedeljkovic and puts Reimer in the best place to succeed being the backup.

I think you could create a good three way competition for the bottom pairing if you are able to bring in Ryan Suter and Keith Yandle. Jake Bean left a lot to be desired last season. He has a very high ceiling and if he is left unprotected Ron Francis will 100% take him from the Hurricanes. However, I think we could see a situation where we get the best out of this player if he has to earn every minute of ice time this season. Suter is still a high calibre defenseman and could really excel for at least another season or two and Keith Yandle could be a huge Rod Brind'Amour guy and shine in a leadership role that is being left void by the departure of Jordan Martinook (his dad said he was likely not coming back) I think this competition could really bring the best out of all of these defensemen, and could in theory truly allow a guy like Bean to thrive that he has some high calibre defensemen to learn from.

The one year deals work really well for all of these defensemen because I think after this coming up season it will be time for Jesper Sellgren to make his breakthrough and shine even though I think he would look solid in the NHL now.

(All three defensemens deals are a bit of placeholders because with the market I am not sure how much they will make, maybe Suter is in the 2.5-3 range? I honestly don't know.)

Alex Lyon is just a failsafe option if there is some form of injury, I think he could easily come up and play a few games if there is an injury for the Hurricanes.

The last thing is Jake Gardiner on LTIR, I love Jake and he has really started to find his role with the Hurricanes, but with his back beginning to show issues again keeping him out the second half of this last season and the playoffs. I think its just time for him to go on the good ol' LTIRetirement. Its a shame because of what he has shown he can be for this team, but at this point he should prioritize his back over playing.

I am probably very off base but I think there is a lot of potential working around with these ideas and making the Canes even better. I wanted to sorta put this all on paper and see how it would look and how the salary cap would be effected.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
8$8,500,000
1$750,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
3$3,500,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$925,000
Trades
CAR
    Protected List
    F
    Aho
    Svechnikov
    Staal
    Trocheck
    Foegele
    Teravainen
    Niederreiter

D
    Slavin
    Pesce
    Bean

G
    Nedeljkovic
    SEA
    1. Fast, Jesper
    Additional Details:
    I know Fast is a out of nowhere pick, but I don't think RF is looking to do anyone favors and take big contracts off their books and Skjei's $5,250,000 deal is probably a little too pricey for a D for RF.

But Ron Francis also loves drafting a big left shot defenseman so I could be wrong here.
    CAR
    1. Manson, Josh
    2. Rakell, Rickard
    3. 2021 6th round pick (ANA)
    Additional Details:
    Canes are big deal hunting. Friedman and Seravalli both think the Canes are looking for a big move to take them to the next level.

I think the likelihood of signing Hamilton drops by the day because someone will for sure pay him a lot on the open market.

Thus the need for Josh Manson who also fits the canes desire for a bigger body on D. I think in a system like the Canes you could pair a Josh Manson with someone like Jaccob Slavin and the pair could do a lot of damage to other teams top lines. You could even slot him lower and create a bigger tandem with Skjei and have a really pesty duo while having, arguably, the best shutdown pair in the league in Slavin and Pesce.

Rakell also fits a need providing some scoring depth to a team that is always in need of it. These two together in a package move makes almost too much sense for the Canes to do in a situation where they lose Hamilton to say a Chicago.

I have nothing to truly base this hunch on other than connecting nonexistent dots.
    ANA
    1. Foegele, Warren [RFA Rights]
    2. Puistola, Patrik [Reserve List]
    3. 2021 1st round pick (CAR)
    4. 2021 7th round pick (LAK)
    5. 2022 3rd round pick (CAR)
    Additional Details:
    I am not sure this is anywhere near close to getting this done. But it is possible the move of Fleury for Hakanpaa was a prelude I scratch your back you scratch mine after the expansion draft.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$73,000,055$0$537,500$8,499,945
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    $8,460,250$8,460,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $2,463,139$2,463,139
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $2,050,000$2,050,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,025,000$4,025,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $863,333$863,333
    C
    RFA - 3
    $4,050,000$4,050,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 9:39 a.m.
    Really good thought process and rationale on a lot of this. I’m with you on the defensive end especially although I believe the value on those contracts especially for Suter would have to be higher.

I do think we need a more impactful top 6 scoring winger though. Bringing in Rakell is good but maybe drop him to third and bring in a guy like Saad for the second line. Might be able to get McGinn to stay for a little bit less and use some of that money on Saad.

Good job overall tho!
    bass8151 liked this.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
    Interesting trade between two teams that are clearly on two different paths. I see why Carolina would do this as Manson and Rakell are quality players, and their round 1 pick isn't a top 10. The question would be from Anaheim and whether they think they can get a better deal from another team at the trade deadline for a 'rental UFA'.
    vikhodush and bass8151 liked this.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 9:47 a.m.
    Pass on McGinn at 3.5 million per.

Bridging Svech and getting a better LW and backup goalie would make this team much more dangerous.

The bottom set of defenders would be entertainment but not in a good way. If it is a post ED move, put Bean in the Ducks trade and take out the 3rd and 7th round picks.

Yandle and Hakanpää on the bottom pair. Will need a veteran righty defender as 7D. Manson has injury issues.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:14 a.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: vikhodush
    Really good thought process and rationale on a lot of this. I’m with you on the defensive end especially although I believe the value on those contracts especially for Suter would have to be higher.

I do think we need a more impactful top 6 scoring winger though. Bringing in Rakell is good but maybe drop him to third and bring in a guy like Saad for the second line. Might be able to get McGinn to stay for a little bit less and use some of that money on Saad.

Good job overall tho!

Thank you so much! I think a lot of this is really up in the air when it comes to value. I know Suter's agent said a team would have to pay him to earn his services, and its a huge guess. I could see Suter for sure earning in the 2.5 range for sure. The way the defense operates has to change without Hamilton, I think shoring it up and making it just "tougher" to play against all together would make the Canes a much tougher out, come playoffs.

Saad I think would be a fantastic fit for this team and I really thought about a way to add him in, but I truly didn't see a way without losing McGinn and I value what McGinn would bring especially if the Canes lose both Foegele and Fast. And I do think McGinn could see a price drop but I think he is looking for a decent raise past the 2.1 he has been earning. Maybe something in the 2.5-3 mil range is better?

Thank you for the response! Gave me a little bit to think about!!
    vikhodush liked this.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: Jim_Benning_Almost
    Interesting trade between two teams that are clearly on two different paths. I see why Carolina would do this as Manson and Rakell are quality players, and their round 1 pick isn't a top 10. The question would be from Anaheim and whether they think they can get a better deal from another team at the trade deadline for a 'rental UFA'.

I think that is an interesting thought experiment, and you really do have a good point. It is possible a team really can be desperate and pay more come the deadline, but I think if the Ducks can move him now, for good value (doesn't have to be the Canes) I think you have to take it. Because while you may get more now, they could get hurt. It is me projecting a bit, but I am a huge believer in get the best value when you can, knowing there is the least risk of losing that value due to injury.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
    Quoting: bass8151
    I think that is an interesting thought experiment, and you really do have a good point. It is possible a team really can be desperate and pay more come the deadline, but I think if the Ducks can move him now, for good value (doesn't have to be the Canes) I think you have to take it. Because while you may get more now, they could get hurt. It is me projecting a bit, but I am a huge believer in get the best value when you can, knowing there is the least risk of losing that value due to injury.

Yah, the key here is that Anaheim needs to fully embrace a rebuild. Which means goodbye Getzlaf, Shattenkirk and Henrique. They have some interesting kids who need a shot.
    bass8151 liked this.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: ecupirate07
    Pass on McGinn at 3.5 million per.

Bridging Svech and getting a better LW and backup goalie would make this team much more dangerous.

The bottom set of defenders would be entertainment but not in a good way. If it is a post ED move, put Bean in the Ducks trade and take out the 3rd and 7th round picks.

Yandle and Hakanpää on the bottom pair. Will need a veteran righty defender as 7D. Manson has injury issues.

These are all good points. I do think I did overpay for McGinn a bit, I could easily see the contract come in the 2.5-3 range. I think a lot kind of depends on Coleman and Goodrow if they get a deal from TB.

A bridge for Svech can make sense, however I am a fan of locking down a player cheaper now, where at the end of the bridge, he could reach a 10 mil deal when you can have him locked up at great value for a certain amount of years more. On Reimer I would be open to bringing in someone who is in that category of better backup, my main thought was a guy like Antti Raanta. I opted Reimer due to familiarity with the system and being a very serviceable backup when he has to be.

I really think a lot depends on what Bean is doing this offseason to improve, he needs to get stronger, he was worked too much in the second half of the season, but I think that's what adding Yandle, who I think wins out that spot because he is a RBA guy, and Suter shore up that. Bean has real competition for the position, and powerplay time.

I honestly don't care for Hakanpaa he would hit but I don't think its the type of physicality that is a difference maker because there were a good few times he got worked.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:27 a.m.
    bass8151
    Yah, the key here is that Anaheim needs to fully embrace a rebuild. Which means goodbye Getzlaf, Shattenkirk and Henrique. They have some interesting kids who need a shot.

I really do hate the Ducks, but what they have coming up in the system soon really is impressive and they could be a super scary team if these prospects develop properly. They could really bring that rebuild to a great spot if they sell off all of those guys. The only one I would say that really should stay is Getzlaf despite his value on a trade market, he could be a good role model to all the players coming in and be a good leader for them. But if he was shipped off I wouldn't be surprised.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:31 a.m.
    Quoting: bass8151
    I really do hate the Ducks, but what they have coming up in the system soon really is impressive and they could be a super scary team if these prospects develop properly. They could really bring that rebuild to a great spot if they sell off all of those guys. The only one I would say that really should stay is Getzlaf despite his value on a trade market, he could be a good role model to all the players coming in and be a good leader for them. But if he was shipped off I wouldn't be surprised.

How can you hate a duck? They're cute little birds. Getz might want to retire a duck, so he could be back for one more year....or he may take the league minimum to join a cup contender so he can get another ring to bookend his career.
    bass8151 liked this.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:36 a.m.
    bass8151
    How can you hate a duck? They're cute little birds. Getz might want to retire a duck, so he could be back for one more year....or he may take the league minimum to join a cup contender so he can get another ring to bookend his career.

Too similar looking to Geese. Though I will say ducklings are adorable (really missed branding for the Gulls). I expect him to retire a duck, but if he did cup chase I wouldn't blame him. I already know Colorado would be all over him.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
    A couple of things and I'm ignoring the contracts because these will be guesswork.

The expansion draft pick, I understand the logic to taking Fast, but Skjei will be the best defenseman exposed. It's either him or Bean. Whether Skjei is protected or not is a different kettle of fish, but if he is exempt, Francis will take the best player avaliable. It's not like they have cap issues, and his value has increased dramatically after that Nashville series.

Going to the trade, I like parts of this. I like the idea of acquiring Rakell, but Manson at this point, is injury prone. He's way too big of a question mark and would probably spend much of the season on LTIR with Gardiner. I think at that point, you lower the price. If you want a defenseman from Anaheim, target Lindholm or Fowler (yes, I know both are LD). Manson just has too many questionmarks for my liking.
    Jul. 17, 2021 at 3:15 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: Caniac2000
    A couple of things and I'm ignoring the contracts because these will be guesswork.

The expansion draft pick, I understand the logic to taking Fast, but Skjei will be the best defenseman exposed. It's either him or Bean. Whether Skjei is protected or not is a different kettle of fish, but if he is exempt, Francis will take the best player avaliable. It's not like they have cap issues, and his value has increased dramatically after that Nashville series.

Going to the trade, I like parts of this. I like the idea of acquiring Rakell, but Manson at this point, is injury prone. He's way too big of a question mark and would probably spend much of the season on LTIR with Gardiner. I think at that point, you lower the price. If you want a defenseman from Anaheim, target Lindholm or Fowler (yes, I know both are LD). Manson just has too many questionmarks for my liking.

Yeah with the salary cap being stagnant I just threw a number for a few, I overpayed for McGinn but I just thought that would be like the absolute highest contract guess I could have.

I think the expansion draft is a good point and it is a bit of wishful thinking on my end. I just don't know what the salary cap structure is going to be for them and that was what i was weighing most. Plus I honestly am not sure RF is going to do a great job, I could be wrong, but who knows.

I think Manson does offer a lot of upside if he is healthy and obviously it is a concern. But I do think it is a gamble worth taking because healthy Manson is a monster.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 9:01 p.m.
    Like everyone else said this is really well done, I like the Anaheim trade a lot for the Canes but Idk if Anaheim would take it, it’s probably close though.

I think it may be optimistic to think Gardiner to LTIR, but would be nice. Also not sure we should be so ready to hand Svech that contract quite yet
    bass8151 liked this.
    Jul. 21, 2021 at 5:03 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: samgrelck
    Like everyone else said this is really well done, I like the Anaheim trade a lot for the Canes but Idk if Anaheim would take it, it’s probably close though.

I think it may be optimistic to think Gardiner to LTIR, but would be nice. Also not sure we should be so ready to hand Svech that contract quite yet

Thank you really, I tried to balance this out as fairly as I can. I could for sure see more needed to push through the trade for Mason/Rakkell. Another mid pick or prospect I think could for sure get the trade done.

Gardiner to LTIR may be a sort of fantasy, but I just think that at the end of the day, his playing career is somewhat done. With his back problems fairing up every now and again it really does make me wonder how long until those spasms just keep him from playing all together, which is unfortunate because I really like his play as he start to fully adjust to the system.

I also get the concern about Svech, it is a bit of a risk, but I think that I would rather throw out some more money now towards him to get him locked up long term. If the difference between a 5 year term is say 6.5 I think I would rather throw on the extra three years. He had a rough year, but I think that should motivate him to come back stronger than ever and tear things up.

Thank you again for the kind words! I am really happy to see that this idea really has spurred some great discussions about the possibilities for the Canes!

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll