Forums/Armchair-GM

Why Eichel Doesnt Work - Year 2

Created by: MNCountryClub
Team: 2022-23 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 16, 2021
Published: Jul. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is a mock up to demonstrate how difficult the situation in MIN would be if they trade for Eichel. Obviously purely hypothetical, and you can adjust the dials up or down depending on your preferences for value, trades, etc.

The point is that anyway you slice it, it’s hard to field a competitive team if you trade for Eichel. Hell, it’s gonna be somewhat difficult even without Eichel.

Clearly you’d need to dump some of Zucc, Dumba and/or Fiala. To me, it doesn’t dramatically improve things. Wild need to load up on cheap talent and hope the kids over perform.

Help me out on what’s wrong or what I’m missing.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$7,500,000
4$6,000,000
2$1,000,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Greenway, Jordan [RFA Rights]
  2. Rossi, Marco
  3. 2021 1st round pick (PIT)
  4. 2021 1st round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
Let’s assume package was close to this and happened Summer 2021
MIN
SEA
  1. Soucy, Carson
Additional Details:
Assume Soucy was selected at ED
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$81,500,000$79,961,088$0$765,000$1,538,912
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LW
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
$855,833$855,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 17, 2021 at 3:05 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Is it just me, or is this a step backwards from the 2020-2021 squad?

And remember, there's been an intervening year from now until this team hits the ice in September 2022. Imagine how the Wild would have done with this skeleton but without Eichel for, say, 40 games?
MNCountryClub liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 3:27 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Is it just me, or is this a step backwards from the 2020-2021 squad?

And remember, there's been an intervening year from now until this team hits the ice in September 2022. Imagine how the Wild would have done with this skeleton but without Eichel for, say, 40 games?

Yeah it’s tough. Like without Eichel, it’s a pretty average team. With him, it’s void of any depth at all.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 3:30 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: drmantalban
Yeah it’s tough. Like without Eichel, it’s a pretty average team. With him, it’s void of any depth at all.

An average team, all right, but with the upside of Boldy, Rossi and the two firsts (assuming that Kaprizov stays and Addison pans out). Take that away and, like you say, this is a draft-lottery team, especially in that division.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
An average team, all right, but with the upside of Boldy, Rossi and the two firsts (assuming that Kaprizov stays and Addison pans out). Take that away and, like you say, this is a draft-lottery team, especially in that division.

You know what, sometimes it’s nice to be reminded of the positive takeaways so thank you lol. I think regardless of team performance, there’s at least several very interesting storylines with this team that should be entertaining to follow
OldNYIfan and Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 3:42 p.m.
Been saying this since it happened, it more or less took them out of the running. Could trade Zucc though, next year. 10 team no so can be done. Saves 6M
MNCountryClub liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 3:54 p.m.
Quoting: Lsendel3
Been saying this since it happened, it more or less took them out of the running. Could trade Zucc though, next year. 10 team no so can be done. Saves 6M

Yeah I’m of the opinion that we should be looking to trade Zucc next summer regardless. I’ve had a lot of wild fans disagree with me on that, but I find him to be dispensable next year given his contract.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:13 p.m.
Go Cavs
Yeah I’m of the opinion that we should be looking to trade Zucc next summer regardless. I’ve had a lot of wild fans disagree with me on that, but I find him to be dispensable next year given his contract.

If Minnesota is trading for Eichel, the only way it works year 1 is if a player like Fiala is in the deal realistically. I would rather have Greenway myself because he's younger and cheaper, but Minnesota is going to need young big and cheap, but Fiala with Rask in a trade is the only way it works financially for year 1.

But in regards to year 2......if you are trading for Eichel.....you're looking to go for the Cup.....and you're doing so hoping that he's the missing piece. Eichel with Kaprizov would be a terrorizing combination.

I don't see a Minnesota deal working personally without Fiala, or Zuccarello in a three way deal where he gets traded.....Buffalo is going to have to help you financially
The problem though and I agree with your scernario is that in year's 2 and 3.....the team is probably going to be blown up because of the dead money. I'm assuming in the summer of 2022, you are probably looking at trading or buying out Zuccarello, maybe trading Foligno, and you're looking at young guys taking a step like Beckman, Dewar, Khovanov, Boldy etc....

A trade can definetly work, but years two and three will be a step back....year five (Eichel has one year left) is a big rebound year....but the question here is can you re-sign Kaprizov?

Personally, that top six is still rock solid with Eichel, Kaprizov, JEE, Fiala or Greenway (whichever is moved), and Boldy and Zuc if you can keep them. If young guys come up and make an impact in the bottom six, Minnesota can still be a playoff team with Eichel and Kaprizov alone....especially if Boldy lives up to the hype
Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:20 p.m.

I think with Rask expiring, and barring any other upgrades to the roster, he OR Dumba needs to be moved. If you want to upgrade the roster at all, they both need to be gone.

Quoting: DennisReynolds
If Minnesota is trading for Eichel, the only way it works year 1 is if a player like Fiala is in the deal realistically. I would rather have Greenway myself because he's younger and cheaper, but Minnesota is going to need young big and cheap, but Fiala with Rask in a trade is the only way it works financially for year 1.

But in regards to year 2......if you are trading for Eichel.....you're looking to go for the Cup.....and you're doing so hoping that he's the missing piece. Eichel with Kaprizov would be a terrorizing combination.

I don't see a Minnesota deal working personally without Fiala, or Zuccarello in a three way deal where he gets traded.....Buffalo is going to have to help you financially
The problem though and I agree with your scernario is that in year's 2 and 3.....the team is probably going to be blown up because of the dead money. I'm assuming in the summer of 2022, you are probably looking at trading or buying out Zuccarello, maybe trading Foligno, and you're looking at young guys taking a step like Beckman, Dewar, Khovanov, Boldy etc....

A trade can definetly work, but years two and three will be a step back....year five (Eichel has one year left) is a big rebound year....but the question here is can you re-sign Kaprizov?

Personally, that top six is still rock solid with Eichel, Kaprizov, JEE, Fiala or Greenway (whichever is moved), and Boldy and Zuc if you can keep them. If young guys come up and make an impact in the bottom six, Minnesota can still be a playoff team with Eichel and Kaprizov alone....especially if Boldy lives up to the hype

I have no idea why so many people think Fiala and Greenway are interchangeable. That's not even remotely close to the truth.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 10:31 p.m.
Go Cavs
Quoting: Caerii
I think with Rask expiring, and barring any other upgrades to the roster, he OR Dumba needs to be moved. If you want to upgrade the roster at all, they both need to be gone.

I didn't say they were interchangable .....Fiala has more value, I was just saying, it's the only way it works financially for Minnesota. I would just rather have Greenway on the Sabres because he is younger, cheaper, and his size is intriguing on a team that needs more of it.

I have no idea why so many people think Fiala and Greenway are interchangeable. That's not even remotely close to the truth.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll