SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TOR/PIT) - Hållander for McCann

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:21 p.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Good move by Dubas for the second year in a row against the same team. Did they not learn their lesson last year?

Quoting: RKLW
Another Dubas W for the history books.

Quoting: kevinbergeron
I guess the leaf now go 7 and 3 at the expansion

Quoting: IconicHawk
Surprised the value was this low

Quoting: DongLord23
Steal by Dubas

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Dubas takes the W. Hallinder is a decent prospect, but damn.

Quoting: SevenLeg
Dubas saw McCann had the second highest WAR behind McDavid and creamed in his pants. Steal of a trade though.

Quoting: AndrewLadd
Garth Snow is to Peter Chairelli as Kyle Dubas is to the Penguins

Quoting: Wqrrior
Dubas clearly exploited McCann's exposure status.

Quoting: DogDayCaps2
LMFAO so basically 15oa + McCann for Kappy. Lol McCann was on pace for 61p in 82gp. GMJR still in office?

Quoting: yikes
Is Rutherford still GM??

Quoting: Dzinger18
Highway robbery by Dubas. McCann will be a great upgrade over Kerfoot too.

Quoting: Sleeping0ut1992
Jimmy Rutherford seal of approval

Quoting: Devil1122
The Leafs love fleecing the Penguins

Quoting: justaBoss
Easy W for the Leafs. Also this pretty much confirms they're going 7-3-1 so it's pretty likely that Holl is heading to Seattle

Quoting: ProfessorFuzzymuffins
Penguins were probably going to lose him anyway, but they still didn't get as much value from a trade as I would've thought.

Quoting: Capsule
Would've been better to just let Seattle select McCann...now they will lose another good player for free...I guess they're high on Hallander.

They got Hållander + 15oa for Kappy last year. They basically got McCann for a 7th lol. They killed the Penguins 2x in a year.

Quoting: Random2152
Kapanen's value was worth a late 1st. 15 might have been a touch high on its own but that would have been fair value.

Pens fans fill me in because I truly have no idea!

Who is the better overall player - Kapanen or McCann?

How is McCann's play style different from Kapanen's?

- They were both drafted in 2014.
- They're both late 1st round picks.
- They have almost identical contracts.
- They have almost identical 2 year stats.

I am so confused right now!
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:24 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Oh man, new Pittsburgh managment channeling Jim Rutherford??
oneX liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:28 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: Pens2009
Pens were mostly likely going to lose him. Also, isn't there a pretty good chance so are the Leafs!

Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
Doesnt matter. They want cap space, and they got it. Weird how last year everyone said Hallander going to toronto was a massive steal, and all of a sudden hes scraps this year...

Penguins traded the 15oa pick in a deep draft + him for a kid who’s best year was 44p and was coming off a year where he scored 36 in 69. (At the time) McCann is coming off his best year in the NHL where he was on pace for 61p/82gp. He’s only 1 year older than Kappy. Logically if Kappy could fetch a 15oa + prospect then McCann should be able to get a similar return. No he got a prospect and a 7th. Penguin lose this trade and saying they gained cap space is a terrible take. Lol they could have got more value but left a ton of value on the table. They got fleeced back 2 back. Toronto basically traded Kappy for a guy with similar talent and got a 15oa pick on top lol
drewjenkins liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:33 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: drewjenkins

McCann is coming off his best year which is 61p / 82gp. Looks like he could be a cost friendly Hyman replacement. Either way Leafs basically traded Kappy + 7th for McCann + Amirov. Absolutely killed the Penguins in both trades. Penguins use to kill teams in trades but recently they haven’t won many.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:34 p.m.
Banned
Penguins traded the 15oa pick in a deep draft + him for a kid who’s best year was 44p and was coming off a year where he scored 36 in 69. (At the time) McCann is coming off his best year in the NHL where he was on pace for 61p/82gp. He’s only 1 year older than Kappy. Logically if Kappy could fetch a 15oa + prospect then McCann should be able to get a similar return. No he got a prospect and a 7th. Penguin lose this trade and saying they gained cap space is a terrible take. Lol they could have got more value but left a ton of value on the table. They got fleeced back 2 back. Toronto basically traded Kappy for a guy with similar talent and got a 15oa pick on top lol

How is that a terrible take? That’s what they wanted. Yeah, they could have got more value for him, but you’re acting like McCann is a stud. He is extremely streaky and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:38 p.m.
down bad
How is that a terrible take? That’s what they wanted. Yeah, they could have got more value for him, but you’re acting like McCann is a stud. He is extremely streaky and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

Penguins traded a 15oa + Hållander for a kid that showed less value than McCann. They then got same prospect + 7th for a guy coming off a year that was massively better than Kappy’s best year to that point. Kappy also has 10p in 31playoff games. Hardly a stud. If the goal was to open up cap space why trade a kid that was on pace for 60 points making >3m? How much money would it cost to find a player that produces at that rate?
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.
Banned
Penguins traded a 15oa + Hållander for a kid that showed less value than McCann. They then got same prospect + 7th for a guy coming off a year that was massively better than Kappy’s best year to that point. Kappy also has 10p in 31playoff games. Hardly a stud. If the goal was to open up cap space why trade a kid that was on pace for 60 points making >3m? How much money would it cost to find a player that produces at that rate?

Because McCann is very hot and cold. He isn’t someone that’s putting Pittsburgh over the top, so they made a move. He was easy to move, so they moved him. Now they have cap flexibility to make off-season moves. If they have someone in mind to sign, now they can. We have to see what happens first
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:44 p.m.

"He is extremely streaky and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs"

Are you talking about Kapanen or McCann? Because that describes both of them pretty well? LOL

"He’s only 1 year older than Kappy"

They were both drafted in 2014. McCann is only 2 months older than Kapanen.
DogDayCaps2 and Trickster liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
Banned
"He is extremely streaky and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs"

Are you talking about Kapanen or McCann? Because that describes both of them pretty well? LOL

"He’s only 1 year older than Kappy"

They were both drafted in 2014. McCann is only 2 months older than Kapanen.

Kapanen wasn’t streaky his first year in Pittsburgh, even with all the injuries to the team…
drewjenkins liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
Because McCann is very hot and cold. He isn’t someone that’s putting Pittsburgh over the top, so they made a move. He was easy to move, so they moved him. Now they have cap flexibility to make off-season moves. If they have someone in mind to sign, now they can. We have to see what happens first

So they gained back the flexibility they lost when they traded for Kapanen?

Who's a better overall player in your opinion? Kappy or McCann?

I don't even really know to be honest.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:50 p.m.
Banned
So they gained back the flexibility they lost when they traded for Kapanen?

Who's a better overall player in your opinion? Kappy or McCann?

I don't even really know to be honest.

I’d say pretty similar. McCann has had his chance, and they haven’t done anything with him
drewjenkins liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:51 p.m.
Kapanen wasn’t streaky his first year in Pittsburgh, even with all the injuries to the team…

He was pretty streaky in Toronto.

I remember him scoring in his last RS game to break a 30 game drought after pumping in like 20 goals in his first 40 games (or something close to that).
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Toronto with a steal

didnt I say this would happen lul.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 8:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: sensonfire
So, let's say they protect the following players:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Kerfoot
McCann

Muzzin
Rielly
Brodie

Campbell

Who would be forward #7 for the Leafs?

Probs Joey Anderson
sensonfire liked this.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 9:23 p.m.
Surprised the Pens couldnt get more for him, obviously many didnt feel it was worth it to do before the expansion draft, but the fact McCann is now on his 4th team already....is telling.
He may replace some of the offense they lose with Hyman...but he is exactly not the type of player they need.

If Dubas is such a genius as some Leaf fans seem to think...why has his team done nothing in the playoffs? why is he still searching for a #1 goalie...and once again he has little chance of any serious upgrade in net due to the cap situation that he created.
Jul. 17, 2021 at 11:07 p.m.
Go leafs go

Kapanen is better.

BUT...

McCann+Amirov is way better than Kapanen.

This deal is not terrible for the pens, but it's a Toronto win right now.
Jul. 18, 2021 at 12:17 a.m.
Can't best the 2nd
So, Pittsburg brings back their foreign exchange student to see what he's learned.
Jul. 18, 2021 at 12:29 a.m.
McCann's 0 goals in 12 playoff games will fit right in on the Leaf's!

Is a solid move by them (Leaf's) though all jokes aside.
Jul. 18, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
Not yet trannycided
Ok... they left McCann exposed? They're gonna lose him, and it's gonna be hilarious. (Unless SEA picks Kerfoot instead.)
Jul. 18, 2021 at 1:16 p.m.
I can't wait for Seattle to take McCann. Then we can revisit who won this trade lmao.
Jul. 18, 2021 at 5:17 p.m.
Log off the internet
Quoting: kevinbergeron
I guess the leaf now go 7 and 3 at the expansion

L
kevinbergeron liked this.
Jul. 18, 2021 at 5:34 p.m.
Bedard23
Well what we said didn’t clearly age well as McCann will be going to Seattle over Kerfoot
Jul. 19, 2021 at 11:33 a.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: IconicHawk
Well what we said didn’t clearly age well as McCann will be going to Seattle over Kerfoot

Quoting: dc64
I can't wait for Seattle to take McCann. Then we can revisit who won this trade lmao.

Quoting: EmpressKayla
Ok... they left McCann exposed? They're gonna lose him, and it's gonna be hilarious. (Unless SEA picks Kerfoot instead.)

Quoting: Saskleaf
Kapanen is better.

BUT...

McCann+Amirov is way better than Kapanen.

This deal is not terrible for the pens, but it's a Toronto win right now.

I am quite confident that any GM would not just trade away a solid prospect to acquire a top 6 forward to turn around and leave exposed at the draft. It's quite obvious there is a side deal with Seattle. Like many teams already have.
Jul. 19, 2021 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
I am quite confident that any GM would not just trade away a solid prospect to acquire a top 6 forward to turn around and leave exposed at the draft. It's quite obvious there is a side deal with Seattle. Like many teams already have.

Side deal is still giving away more assets, and the Leafs cupboards are getting empty.
Jul. 19, 2021 at 1:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: dc64
Side deal is still giving away more assets, and the Leafs cupboards are getting empty.

leafs prospect pool is top 10 so how is that getting empty lul.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit