SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Edmonton Oilers

Theres a silver lining to every broken Hymen

Jul. 22, 2021 at 10:49 a.m.
What the absolute f*^k is Holland thinking signing anyone to an 8-year deal? This is literally worse than the Milan Lucic signing in that Hyman is older than Lucic when he signed, never scored as much, and will be signed to an extra year. I am hearing $5.5m???!!! Where is that going to come from? On day 1 of the season the team has to be cap compliant. Then they can place Klef on the LTIR and exceed the cap. By my count, even if they sign Tyson Barrie to $4.5m (which is optimistic), there will be only ~$6m to sign Hyman and they still need to sign other players also. This is pure folly.

IMO, Tatar would be a better option because he is good at scoring off the rush and would probably be cheaper than Hyman given his bad playoff run. Hoffman would tick a few boxes also since he's a great shooter and it did not work out for him in St. Louis.

Ken Holland, for all of his success, left Detroit in salary cap hell and he is doing it in Edmonton. He is no better than Chiarelli in that regard. At least Chiarelli/Keith Gretzky were awesome at drafting . . . that remains to be seen with Holland.
Jul. 22, 2021 at 10:56 a.m.
Well the problem with judging Holland’s drafting and charelli is Holland won’t be doing nearly as much of it since he throws picks away like dollar bills at strip club. Not only is Hyman contract questionable but Holland will pay Toronto to do it. I’m my opinion oilers fans should be VERY concerned about decisions being made
Db_2984 and ConnorMcHellebucyk liked this.
Jul. 22, 2021 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: Timmah007
Well the problem with judging Holland’s drafting and charelli is Holland won’t be doing nearly as much of it since he throws picks away like dollar bills at strip club. Not only is Hyman contract questionable but Holland will pay Toronto to do it. I’m my opinion oilers fans should be VERY concerned about decisions being made

Right??!! I guess there is also bias towards Chiarelli's drafting though because they are now moving into NHL spots whereas Holland's picks are not yet close.

Broberg, Ty Tullio, Raphael Lavoie, Ilya Konovalov, and Carter Savoie look very promising.
Timmah007 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2021 at 11:11 a.m.
I hate this blurb. I was listening until you said Tomas Tatar is a better option then the biggest work horse in the league Zach Hyman. The term sucks. But that’s what it takes to bring guys in. Security. Knowing full well he won’t be the same player in 5-6 years and probably bought out. That’s how every long term contract works now. That’s why you pay a guy top heavy in the beginning of his contract.

And you resigned Jujhar for a million bucks? Are you kidding me. That is an east coast hockey player. Hunan’s deal won’t much matter in the end if Connor or Leon leave lol.
Jul. 22, 2021 at 11:50 a.m.
Simpleton
Based on what I have read, I believe the target monetary value is around $40,000,000 and the term will have to be lengthy in order to lower the AAV and provide Hyman some certainty. Basically, the ceiling is somewhere around $5Mx8, or $5.7x7. Seems like a very risky proposal for the Oilers, but its kind of in line with what they agreed to with RNH.

Anybody who has lived in Edmonton should understand that the city is at a competitive disadvantage when recruiting young, millionaire professional athletes. Money and term are really the only factors that the Oilers can compete with so they need to over pay and offer too much term when pursuing players who have other options. Perhaps recruitment might get a bit easier if the Oilers can become legitimate Stanley Cup contenders, but we won't know unless that happens.
Jul. 28, 2021 at 11:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I like Hyman and have big supporter of his since he joined the Leafs. But I question any seven year contract for any 29 year old.
Really, I don't understand that Keith trade. The Hawks should have added sweeteners and Keith's NMC eliminated.
Oct. 25, 2021 at 8:01 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Timmah007

Holland is trading picks because so far under him the Oilers have been Buyers at the TDL
Oct. 25, 2021 at 8:02 p.m.
I make typos
you like it a bit more now? 5G in 5GP
Nov. 6, 2021 at 4:01 p.m.
I make typos
10 points in his first 10 games as a Oiler
Dec. 7, 2021 at 1:51 p.m.
NO FLAMES
Quoting: oilersguy
10 points in his first 10 games as a Oiler

Auston Matthews got 4 goals on his first game 10 points in 10 games is nothing
oilersdude liked this.
Dec. 31, 2021 at 11:31 a.m.
LETS GO OILERS
Edited Dec. 31, 2021 at 11:45 a.m.
man i have no idea why Oilers did sign Hyman to such a big contract the guy is 29 already and still has 7 years left on his 5.5 million dollar contract. Has he been worth it? Arguable. 19 points in 27 games (11goals and 8 assists.) I do believe is a valuable piece to the Edmonton Oilers but at the price?
Dec. 31, 2021 at 11:37 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: oilersdude
man i have no idea why Oilers did sign Hyman to such a big contract the guy is 29 already and still has 8 years left on his 5.5 million dollar contract. Has he been worth it? Arguable. 19 points in 27 games (11goals and 8 assists.) I do believe is a valuable piece to the Edmonton Oilers but at the price?

Hyman's on a 7-year deal, not 8. Edmonton never traded for his rights. I mean his contract is pretty much market for 0.703ppg production. I don't think anyone would argue that there's a lot of risk in the back few years.
Dec. 31, 2021 at 11:46 a.m.
LETS GO OILERS
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Hyman's on a 7-year deal, not 8. Edmonton never traded for his rights. I mean his contract is pretty much market for 0.703ppg production. I don't think anyone would argue that there's a lot of risk in the back few years.

Yeah exactly what I mean.
Dec. 31, 2021 at 12:19 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: oilersdude
Yeah exactly what I mean.

I'm happy with the Hyman contract and probably will be until about year 5.

In the context of "can he justify his deal", Hyman should be one of the last Oilers in line for that discussion. Kassian, Keith, Nurse (next season), and Smith are going to be at the top of that list for me.
oilersguy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll