Jul. 22, 2021 at 7:17 p.m.
Western Champs
Quoting: FunMustBeAlways
And then protected Martin and Clutterbuck over Eberle and Bailey lol

He probably wants to make space for Palmieri
Tntpod liked this.
Jul. 22, 2021 at 7:41 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Why did Carolina do this??? Is there something I'm missing?

I haven't read many of the comments in this thread, but based on the votes of the poll, I'd have to guess probably not lol.
Jul. 22, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.
God-King Emperor
Stevie Y, bringing the Wings back from the depths of the Ken Holland Hell since 2019.
Jul. 22, 2021 at 9:36 p.m.
Just hours ago, I thought the Goodrow signing was gonna be the most lopsided Capfriendly vote of the week - 127/136 voted "NO."

This trade not only blows that ratio out of the water (165/166 voted for DET), but reminds us of how great of a GM Steve Yzerman is (In case we forgot after the Leddy trade).

Huge W for Detroit!
Jul. 22, 2021 at 10:02 p.m.
I make typos
lets not for forget how while Bernier played with Detroit's defence in front of him and with the Carolina's defence which is like top 3 in the league it could be a match made in heaven.
Jul. 22, 2021 at 10:04 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Van_da_Man
Stevie Y, bringing the Wings back from the depths of the Ken Holland Hell since 2019.

you call winning 3 cups hell
Jul. 22, 2021 at 10:25 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Quoting: exo2769
The is terrible for the Canes. Just a disgrace. I like Bernier, but you could have him for free. Having Bernier and Ned as a tandem would have set them up for YEARS. Waddell is the new Chiarelli.

Nah Holland is the new Chiarelli
Jul. 23, 2021 at 7:11 a.m.
NoCupsForCanada
He was named GM in Detroit in 97. He didn't build the squad the won back to back cups and in 02 the guy basically wrote blank checks to build the HOF squad.

That said, he used to be a solid GM. But doing things like signing 39 Y.O. goaltenders to multi-year deals demonstrate just how badly the game has passed him by.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 8:10 a.m.
Steve
Quoting: pinslack
Nedeljkovic signed with DET 3m x 2 years... which is cheap

What is Carolina trying to do here?

I think Bern will cost 3.7 so who knows
Jul. 23, 2021 at 9:20 a.m.
Quoting: Michael
Why would Carolina do this? He just signed an extension for 3M and 2 years, that shouldn't break their bank. Nedelkjovic led the league in SV% and GAA last year among goalies with 15 GP. This might be the heist that made the Red Wings into a contender if he continues to improve.

If Carolina is going to be money tight and save for when stars need to be resigned, a decent goalie and a 3rd is not a bad haul.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 9:29 a.m.
I heff to be mad...
Okay, who put that Carolina won?
Jul. 23, 2021 at 10:02 a.m.
More Finns More Wins
Edited Jul. 23, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here: The last two goalies that signed a contract after one stellar season/playoffs were Jordan Binnington and Thatcher Demko. Both of them slipped to league average save percentage the following season. In arbitration, those would be the obvious comparables: similar age, similar experience (in the NHL anyways) and one good season. Binnington got a 6x6, Demko got a 5x5, and the arbitration might have landed in that range, should Ned's camp have gone into arbitration.

Nedeljkovic had never put up numbers like he got last year (.932, 1.90) at any level with more than a 6 game sample size. The last 3 years in the AHL: .903, .916, .906. A .932 this year in the NHL could either be an aberration, or a product of his defence (Mrazek had a very good save percentage as well this year, albeit with only 12 regular season games) . It could also be a massive natural improvement from a 25 year old goalie, but it's very likely that this does not last, especially in Detroit.

The last time Carolina went big(-ish) on a goaltender was Scott Darling, who immediately flopped after signing his 4x4.15 contract, and they may be skittish when it comes to signing a goaltender for that, whether now or in 2023-24, when Ned would hit UFA

Nedeljkovic immediately signed in Detroit for less than what he was reportedly asking for in Carolina, meaning that he was immediately willing to take a discount in Detroit, likely because he has family from that area. There is a chance that he simply did not want to re-sign with the Hurricanes and was willing to hold out (at least to arbitration which is never a good sign) to get a trade to either Columbus or Detroit. This may also be the reason that no teams were offering more than this in a trade, because he may have indicated that he was only going to sign in a city close to his family.

That being said, I still voted for Detroit because they obviously won this trade.
rollie1967, OldNYIfan and jr400 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:52 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: LGuy54
Roberry by DET

You misspelled "robbery" but ya.
LGuy54 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG
I'm going to play devil's advocate here: The last two goalies that signed a contract after one stellar season/playoffs were Jordan Binnington and Thatcher Demko. Both of them slipped to league average save percentage the following season. In arbitration, those would be the obvious comparables: similar age, similar experience (in the NHL anyways) and one good season. Binnington got a 6x6, Demko got a 5x5, and the arbitration might have landed in that range, should Ned's camp have gone into arbitration.

Nedeljkovic had never put up numbers like he got last year (.932, 1.90) at any level with more than a 6 game sample size. The last 3 years in the AHL: .903, .916, .906. A .932 this year in the NHL could either be an aberration, or a product of his defence (Mrazek had a very good save percentage as well this year, albeit with only 12 regular season games) . It could also be a massive natural improvement from a 25 year old goalie, but it's very likely that this does not last, especially in Detroit.

The last time Carolina went big(-ish) on a goaltender was Scott Darling, who immediately flopped after signing his 4x4.15 contract, and they may be skittish when it comes to signing a goaltender for that, whether now or in 2023-24, when Ned would hit UFA

Nedeljkovic immediately signed in Detroit for less than what he was reportedly asking for in Carolina, meaning that he was immediately willing to take a discount in Detroit, likely because he has family from that area. There is a chance that he simply did not want to re-sign with the Hurricanes and was willing to hold out (at least to arbitration which is never a good sign) to get a trade to either Columbus or Detroit. This may also be the reason that no teams were offering more than this in a trade, because he may have indicated that he was only going to sign in a city close to his family.

That being said, I still voted for Detroit because they obviously won this trade.

I think you're right. This was all about fear of arbitration. I was thinking Driedger and Merzlikins were the closest comparables but I forgot about Demko. (If I remember correctly, Binnington got a short $4M/yr deal before he got his 6x6.) The Darling fiasco may have been a factor too, though Nedeljkovic at this point is less of a risk for Carolina than Darling was when they acquired him because we've already seen how Nedeljkovic can play behind Carolina's defense. I hadn't considered the possibility that he would only sign with Detroit or Columbus, but in that case Carolina would have been better off if they kept his rights and let him sign an offer sheet, didn't match, and let him go for the compensation which would have been a 2nd round pick instead of the 3rd that they got from Detroit. (I don't count Bernier because he's about to become a UFA.) On the other hand, if that didn't happen before the arbitration hearing and he ended up being awarded $4M then his trade value would have gone down.

Even so I think it would have made sense to keep him at that price as half of a 1/1A tandem, so I'm wondering if they're planning to bring in a big-money #1 goalie which would mean that they can't afford to pay $3-4M for somebody who's only going to be a backup. But if that was the reason then it was risky to dump Nedeljkovic without already knowing they could get that #1 goalie.
Sep. 2, 2021 at 1:07 p.m.
aiight so who is the ONE person who voted in favour of Carolina? Don Waddell, that u?
Sep. 3, 2021 at 5:43 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: SakuThornton
aiight so who is the ONE person who voted in favour of Carolina? Don Waddell, that u?

They did this trade so they could let Hamilton walk and overpay for Kotkaniemi
Sep. 3, 2021 at 4:45 p.m.
to be banned soon
Quoting: SakuThornton
aiight so who is the ONE person who voted in favour of Carolina?

hurricanes man obvs
Oct. 1, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
Banned
Tom Dundon and Don Waddell have to stop being so cheap with cornerstone players, because you get things like this happening. What's even more embarrassing is that Nedeljkovic signed for less in Detroit ($3M) than he was asking from Carolina (around $3.5M I've heard)

If both Owner and GM are going to play hard ball like this, they should consider themselves lucky they got Svechnikov for $7.75M long-term. I honestly wonder if we'd be looking at a holdout if Svech was askng for $8M-plus

Letting go of Dougie Hamilton, I don't think Carolina's defense looks all that great anymore, even after the additions of Ethan Bear, Ian Cole, and Brendan Smith

I know Tom Dundon has said Waddell has a job for life in the Hurricanes organization, but if Carolina takes a step back this season after being legitimate contenders the past several seasons or so, I honestly wonder if Waddell will be let go since his contract expires after this season. Not looking forward to a Waddell extension being announced before the end of the season, and Carolina is my second favorite time

And Hamilton's contract is largely regarded as a good signing by the devils if I might add
Nov. 23, 2022 at 6:12 p.m.
Me and 207+ people are wondering what went wrong

Nedelikovic Suck
RawDeal liked this.
Jan. 15, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Well then...
Hurricanes_WPG, majormoose007, Faulk_my_Dzingel and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 15, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
this has to be like the most mid trade ever
canes got 7 points of domi, red wings got a 32 win percentage from ned
Jan. 15, 2023 at 7:53 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: fullblowncaniac90
Well then...

Looks like a few of us came here to reflect. Who’d of thought Carolina ends up… winning? Nahhh.
fullblowncaniac90 and RawDeal liked this.
Jan. 19, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
Quoting: DrDinkiee
Looks like a few of us came here to reflect. Who’d of thought Carolina ends up… winning? Nahhh.

Yeah, I wouldn’t give them that much credit. I don’t think anybody, including Carolina’s management, expected him to be waived out of the league after a season and a half. I think they believed he was good enough to play in the NHL, but probably not good enough to be the #1 goalie on a Stanley Cup team.

I think they were actually disappointed that they had to let him go. We know now that they had already decided to bring in somebody else for the #1 role, but they probably would have liked to have kept Nedeljkovic as a backup. After the season he’d just had though, there was a very real chance that they’d have to pay him upwards of $4M if he went to arbitration – too much for a backup. The experience with Nedeljkovic is probably what led them to extend Kochetkov early, before he’d had enough body of work to demand a salary that would be too much for a backup. He still might become a #1, but at $2M/yr they can afford to keep him as a backup, and if he ends up getting waived out in a year or two like Nedeljkovic, they can bury most of his cap hit.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit