SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(BUF/PHI) - Ristolainen for Hägg, 1st, 2nd

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:34 p.m.
Buffalo can be the next OTT if they trade Eichel for a huge haul of picks/prospects. They have a real opportunity to turn this franchise around a start a 3-5 year rebuild from the ground up, just like the Sens did when they dealt Stone, Pageau, EK65, Turis, and Duchene. This is the Sabres opportunity for a transformational rebuild that most teams never get the chance to do, unless they get extremely lucky in the Draft (NJD, VAN).
Makeeeeebo liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
Whoever voted for PHI, please explain your reasoning. I'm curious. Maybe you'll end up being right, but over 99% of us disagreed.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:37 p.m.
Flyers are really putting all their chips in to get “scary” Ellis and Ristolainen additions
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:39 p.m.
Don Waddell looking at Chuck Fletcher right now with hearts in his eyes.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
What? Did Buffalo just win a trade?
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Buffalo can be the next OTT if they trade Eichel for a huge haul of picks/prospects. They have a real opportunity to turn this franchise around a start a 3-5 year rebuild from the ground up, just like the Sens did when they dealt Stone, Pageau, EK65, Turis, and Duchene. This is the Sabres opportunity for a transformational rebuild that most teams never get the chance to do, unless they get extremely lucky in the Draft (NJD, VAN).

The difference is Buffalo has to pay Skinner 9M for the next 6 years.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:45 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Montreal was also in the running. Thank you Flyers. Now somehow has to save us from Eichel before we give up Caufield or Suzuki (or even Kotkaniemi)

Suzuki and Caufield for the cry baby superstar! Lol nice that would be awesome!
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:48 p.m.
Go Jets Go
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Montreal was also in the running. Thank you Flyers. Now somehow has to save us from Eichel before we give up Caufield or Suzuki (or even Kotkaniemi)

Right haha, I think there are a few teams that owe Philly a thank you card!
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
Go Flames Go!
I think Risto will be good in Philly but right now this is massive win for Buffalo
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:05 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
This gets the Peter Chairelli seal of approval
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
Banned
I like Risto's game.
We'll see how this goes.
It might not be nearly as bad as some people on here think
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:16 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Fletcher saw the comments about the Carolina trade and said hold my beer.

Jeez how does this happen? Giving up more to add Ristolainen than moving Ghost away OR even a acquiring Ellis.... for FULL cap hit at that too.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:27 p.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
The difference is Buffalo has to pay Skinner 9M for the next 6 years.

You can easily work around one terrible contract. Look at the Sens. They're not spending anywhere near the cap ceiling right now, and won't at least until Stutzle becomes an RFA.The Sabres can rebuild now and by the time they're anywhere near contender status, they can buyout Skinner or dump him somewhere else. BUF has about 1,000 different problems right now. Skinner's contract is number 990.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:29 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
In the same day Rangers and Flyers doing a HUGE MESS!?!? Wow, man!!! Whatta day!!! Lol
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:31 p.m.
Personally, I think PHI rebounds next season. I think Hart will be .910 save %, or better. Their D is already better, at least on paper. Everything that could've gone wrong for them last season went wrong. This roster is competitive, even in the Metro division. I fully expect them to be back in the playoff picture down the stretch, at least. Just because this was an overpayment on paper, doesn't mean PHI will not be improved. I like Risto a heck of a lot more than Ghost. Just can't ignore the plethora of Draft picks the Flyers spent making that swap happen.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Major win for Buffalo.

Ristolainen is awful. So bad that the analytics guys talked Burke out of trading for him.
Literally this generations Jack Johnson.
A massive part of why Buffalo has been awful for years.

If Buffalo had given up the 13th to lose him, this would still be a massive win for them.

( by no means is he an Allstar but ...)
Yeah nothing says awful like a couple of 30-40 pt seasons . Needs work defensively still but he's a guy who continues to work at it each year. To think he's the main reason the Sabres are bad means you know nothing and it' shows
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
You can easily work around one terrible contract. Look at the Sens. They're not spending anywhere near the cap ceiling right now, and won't at least until Stutzle becomes an RFA.The Sabres can rebuild now and by the time they're anywhere near contender status, they can buyout Skinner or dump him somewhere else. BUF has about 1,000 different problems right now. Skinner's contract is number 990.

There's nowhere to dump him. Teams wouldn't take him for 1OA.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
There's nowhere to dump him. Teams wouldn't take him for 1OA.

Teams dump players all the time with big cap hits, especially with 1 year remaining on their contract. Skinner's contract is not a priority for BUF if they trade Eichel. Not for at least 3-4 years.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:57 p.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Fletcher’s IQ is room temperature, and in celsius, and on the top part of Canada, and in the middle of winter. You get the point.

Quoting: Dzinger18
Chuck Fletcher made this trade in sympathy of poor Don Waddell.

Quoting: Gunmars
Any good will Fletcher made with the Ellis trade is now gone. He got absolutely destroyed in this trade.

Quoting: mondo
Give Kevyn Adams the GM of the Year award for this. Ristolainen is a replacement level defenseman and they just netted a mid-first and a likely mid-second for him. Hagg is pretty mediocre but he has a fifth of the cap hit for the same quality.

Chuck Fletcher looks like an absolute clown on this one, especially giving up so much to get rid of Gotisbehere.

Quoting: ALitteral
Fire Chuck.

Quoting: Random2152
Major win for Buffalo.

Ristolainen is awful. So bad that the analytics guys talked Burke out of trading for him.
Literally this generations Jack Johnson.
A massive part of why Buffalo has been awful for years.

If Buffalo had given up the 13th to lose him, this would still be a massive win for them.

Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
LMFAOOOOOOOOO

E6_-06-XsAE9IdA.pngE6_-07CXIAE6Q_M.png

Ridiculous
EsoYeezus69, Zinger and Kylonetic8 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 4:57 p.m.
This is too good

https://twitter.com/i/status/1418635827211608070
Kylonetic8 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 5:21 p.m.
Majors and minors
Edited Oct. 14, 2022 at 1:57 a.m.
Philadelphia loses..... now I say that, with the understanding that Buff's doesn't do futures with Phily later, K. Here's my reasoning why Phily loses, they pay 2.25 approx in signing bonai for Gostisbehare then trades him, oops, then brings in Ristolainen for 5.4 - first thing i look for is any of the 5.4 eaten up already. i think Buffs you got, minimum, the second free. the first round and Hagg s/h been enough, it was only for 1 more year.

****** comment** Hagg isn't around anymore and they've got Rosen and still a second round pick to come. Unloaded Ristolainen to make way for Dahlin moving to top line- 5 shots- 10-13-22 with Samuelsson from minors, etc, after having played with Risto before. Jokiharju and Powers on 2nd line.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
Majors and minors

except for one thing dude, actually more than one thing, Buff's had Eichel at 2nd, Dahlin at first and allegedly another one this year. lol
Jul. 23, 2021 at 5:29 p.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
E6_-06-XsAE9IdA.pngE6_-07CXIAE6Q_M.png

Ridiculous

First of all, nice haul for the Sabres. But, I will say, PHI fans are going to love Risto. Big D-man that can hit, put up points, play PP and SH. The "analytics" crowd really has no clue what they are talking about when it comes to Risto.

He was the Sabres best D-man and on top of that, the Sabres never thought to bring in any sort of "defensive-defensman", so by default Risto played the most minutes against the toughest competition while playing a large percentage of the time in the D-zone. Oh, and never had a good D partner.

In PHI, he will be playing behind Ellis. He can get 2nd pair minutes, where he really should be playing and most likely playing with Sanheim, easily his best D partner ever.

It will be funny to watch "the analytics" crowd come around this year and say, "Wow, look at Risto's analytics!" "He has improved so much!", when the truth is, the "analytics crowd" has no idea how to read the numbers.
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Jul. 23, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
Quoting: worldwidesensei
First of all, nice haul for the Sabres. But, I will say, PHI fans are going to love Risto. Big D-man that can hit, put up points, play PP and SH. The "analytics" crowd really has no clue what they are talking about when it comes to Risto.

He was the Sabres best D-man and on top of that, the Sabres never thought to bring in any sort of "defensive-defensman", so by default Risto played the most minutes against the toughest competition while playing a large percentage of the time in the D-zone. Oh, and never had a good D partner.

In PHI, he will be playing behind Ellis. He can get 2nd pair minutes, where he really should be playing and most likely playing with Sanheim, easily his best D partner ever.

It will be funny to watch "the analytics" crowd come around this year and say, "Wow, look at Risto's analytics!" "He has improved so much!", when the truth is, the "analytics crowd" has no idea how to read the numbers.
risto=hagg
Jul. 23, 2021 at 5:41 p.m.
You know nothing JS
I think Ristolainen is underrated, but WOW this is a high price.

Maybe a 14th overall isn't worth much this year?!?
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit