SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Anaheim Ducks

Someone stop GMBM PLEASE

Jul. 24, 2021 at 11:33 a.m.
Seriously what a waste of a draft so far. Im ok with McTavish now ( should have gone with Eklund or Gunther) but picking Zellweger so early in the second ( a LD which Anaheim has SOOO MANY off) when scorers like Chibrikov, Tuommala, Pastujov are on the board, I just don't get it...
Its almost as if the only scouting the Ducks did was attend the U18 tournament. This makes me so mad. When will this team learn they need to draft scorers. They are the lowest scoring team in the league.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 11:37 a.m.
God
Zellweger is an amazing prospect.....great pick
Random2152 and TZ11 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Quoting: God8069
Zellweger is an amazing prospect.....great pick

I understand that, but the need for scoring is huge for this team, and with Lacombe and Thrun coming up on LD for the ducks, I just feel this pick is redundant.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
God
Quoting: Edmund0
I understand that, but the need for scoring is huge for this team, and with Lacombe and Thrun coming up on LD for the ducks, I just feel this pick is redundant.

Always take the bpa, if he was the ducks best player out there, why not
Jul. 25, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
Zellweger was a great pick. Imagine a Zellweger-Drysdale pairing. Two elite skaters with great offensive upside. And Pastujov was selected in the 3rd round anyways. Pastujov is one of the biggest steals. He should've been drafted in the first round imo. His skating is far from great but that is something that can be improved rather easily compared to other parts of the game.

And we've got quite a few good goal scorers in the prospect pool now. Perreault, Pastujov and McTavish all have the potential to be Top 6 forwards. And Comtois is exactly that already.

This Draft was great for us tbh. Yes, LD is the best position on the Ducks roster and is good prospect-wise as well but it's still an awesome pick nevertheless. Maybe GMBM will trade Lindholm (he won't but it's just theoretical) and Zellweger is supposed to help fill that hole.

I don't really think LaCombe will live up to the expectations of some. I think his ceiling is a good 3rd pairing Defenseman. Zellweger and Thrun both have Top 4 potential imo.

(Btw: I'm not disagreeing with the take that GMBM should be fired. He should've been gone a while ago. Let's just hope his contract isn't extended.)
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 25, 2021 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: TZ11
Zellweger was a great pick. Imagine a Zellweger-Drysdale pairing. Two elite skaters with great offensive upside. And Pastujov was selected in the 3rd round anyways. Pastujov is one of the biggest steals. He should've been drafted in the first round imo. His skating is far from great but that is something that can be improved rather easily compared to other parts of the game.

And we've got quite a few good goal scorers in the prospect pool now. Perreault, Pastujov and McTavish all have the potential to be Top 6 forwards. And Comtois is exactly that already.

This Draft was great for us tbh. Yes, LD is the best position on the Ducks roster and is good prospect-wise as well but it's still an awesome pick nevertheless. Maybe GMBM will trade Lindholm (he won't but it's just theoretical) and Zellweger is supposed to help fill that hole.

I don't really think LaCombe will live up to the expectations of some. I think his ceiling is a good 3rd pairing Defenseman. Zellweger and Thrun both have Top 4 potential imo.

(Btw: I'm not disagreeing with the take that GMBM should be fired. He should've been gone a while ago. Let's just hope his contract isn't extended.)

Agreed. By the way I cooled off since yesterday and your right. Few of thoughts I wish to put in.

Ya looking into the picks, great picks all together. Looks like the ducks got great prospects at the end of the day (also it’s hard to judge them now since you never know with these things, and won’t know until 5 years from now). I like McTavish as a Kessler to Zegras Getzlaf. Solid pieces moving forward. Pastujov will look amazing too if he continues to light it up in the transition to the NCAA.

As far as the draft team, ya GMBM may be the lead man, but it really comes down to Mr. Madden and his scouting team.

I’ll just disagree on Lacombe, I feel this will be a big year for him and expect he will sign after this season. I liked the numbers he put up with the Gophers and hope he will progress nicely on a Minnesota team that will largely keep their core this year. (Also I’m hoping McLaughlin signs after his season with the Gophers, I would hate to lose him for nothing since he can sign as a free agent after this year)

Now on a final thought for GMBM. I agree it may be time to move on from him. The team could use a new voice with the player turnover we are experiencing with the team. But having said that, as a fan, l should give Bob the respect he has earned. This guy was part of the management (AGM) that took that mean Ducks team to the Cup in 07. He’s had us in 2 Western conference finals as a GM, not to mention he accumulated multiple division titles in the regular season. This guy is the type of GM that was right there putting a tough team that gave the Kings and Blackhawks a tough out during their prime years. He truly built teams that made me a proud Ducks fan for over a decade. The rebuild was meant to happen. Hoping after the year (which looks like a turn over year) he gets a different position within the organization. At the end of the day, not a bad advisor to have around.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 25, 2021 at 3:01 p.m.
Agreed. By the way I cooled off since yesterday and your right. Few of thoughts I wish to put in.

Ya looking into the picks, great picks all together. Looks like the ducks got great prospects at the end of the day (also it’s hard to judge them now since you never know with these things, and won’t know until 5 years from now). I like McTavish as a Kessler to Zegras Getzlaf. Solid pieces moving forward. Pastujov will look amazing too if he continues to light it up in the transition to the NCAA.

As far as the draft team, ya GMBM may be the lead man, but it really comes down to Mr. Madden and his scouting team.

I’ll just disagree on Lacombe, I feel this will be a big year for him and expect he will sign after this season. I liked the numbers he put up with the Gophers and hope he will progress nicely on a Minnesota team that will largely keep their core this year. (Also I’m hoping McLaughlin signs after his season with the Gophers, I would hate to lose him for nothing since he can sign as a free agent after this year)

Now on a final thought for GMBM. I agree it may be time to move on from him. The team could use a new voice with the player turnover we are experiencing with the team. But having said that, as a fan, l should give Bob the respect he has earned. This guy was part of the management (AGM) that took that mean Ducks team to the Cup in 07. He’s had us in 2 Western conference finals as a GM, not to mention he accumulated multiple division titles in the regular season. This guy is the type of GM that was right there putting a tough team that gave the Kings and Blackhawks a tough out during their prime years. He truly built teams that made me a proud Ducks fan for over a decade. The rebuild was meant to happen. Hoping after the year (which looks like a turn over year) he gets a different position within the organization. At the end of the day, not a bad advisor to have around.

I really liked this Draft as well. I think the 3 first picks will all be core pieces (or at least important pieces) to the "new Ducks" after the rebuild. Madden is great at scouting tbh. I think since 2018 the Draft has always been rather good for the Ducks (well, we'll have to see how Lundeström eventually turns out).

I think LaCombe will be good but not as good as some expected him to be. I think Thrun and Zellweger will be better. But I do believe LaCombe is gonna be a good Defenseman nevertheless and I expect him to be a 3rd pairing guy. I would hate to lose McLaughlin. I really like him and I think he's very underrated. If the Ducks sign him and let him play in San Diego I think he could develop into a good Bottom 6 Winger.

Murray definitely was a major part of the Ducks. I think that since 2017 he's just been bad tbh. Silfverberg and Henrique contracts, Vegas Expansion and I just disagree with his view of Hockey. He thinks Hockey is still like in the 90'. And I think he's never heard of age curves. He said something this season along the lines of "defenseman only reach their primes at age 29". And that is just wrong. I think they should just not extend Murray's and Eakins' contracts and make Solomon (or someone who's available from outside of the organization) GM and Bouchard head coach.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 25, 2021 at 3:40 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I would have taken RD Scott Morrow at #34 instead of Zellweger and Brent Johnson at #76 instead of Hinds, so I hope Madden and crew are right and I am wrong. I have said since the 2019 draft that I would have taken Kaedan Korczak instead of Jackson LaCombe and so far I don't think I've been proven wrong. But I like McTavish and Pastujov.

If Murray doesn't move one of Rakell or Manson this off-season, I'll join the chorus calling for his exit.
Edmund0 liked this.
Jul. 25, 2021 at 4:20 p.m.
Edited Aug. 27, 2021 at 5:14 a.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I would have taken RD Scott Morrow at #34 instead of Zellweger and Brent Johnson at #76 instead of Hinds, so I hope Madden and crew are right and I am wrong. I have said since the 2019 draft that I would have taken Kaedan Korczak instead of Jackson LaCombe and so far I don't think I've been proven wrong. But I like McTavish and Pastujov.

If Murray doesn't move one of Rakell or Manson this off-season, I'll join the chorus calling for his exit.

I'm pretty confident he doesn't. Doesn't seem like a move he would make. But if he actually pulls off a Deslauriers trade and gets a 1st in return (but that won't happen) I'll personally help drawing a big "We're sorry"-sign for opening night at Honda Center.

I would've liked Morrow as well but I'm fine with Zellweger. I think an important target for next years draft should be a good (possibly big and physical) RD. Not in the 1st round (except if Nemec is available, he still is a projected Top 10 pick at the Draft and is the best player available) but in the 2nd or 3rd. I's the weakest position of the Ducks prospect pool imo. After Drysdale there's basically only Andersson, Nickl and Moore. Andersson could become a replacement level 3rd pairing guy, I doubt Nickl will become an NHLer and I don't know if Moore could become a 2nd pairing D-man (but I like him and I hope he'll surprise me).
Edmund0 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 25, 2021 at 5:25 p.m.
Ya trades won’t be coming this off season if at all (that’s my gut instinct). I don’t agree with that approach but honestly I can’t get a read on the trade market. One day you see Jones and Risto go for astronomical prices, then the next Reinhardt goes for such an underwhelming return.

I hate to see players like Manson, Rakell and Lindholm go after watching them grow under the team, but yes you can’t fall too in love with players at that age and just sign them all. the direction of the team is in dire need to build under Zegras, Drysdale and now McTavish. Not to mention they may want a change themselves.

Regarding trades, I be ok if they wait until the TDL, eat half of each player salary and get maybe a first and a second for Lindholm and a first and a third for Rakell and Manson. (Team gets to take on salary on up to 3 contracts). After all, I be curious on a year with Lindholm and Drysdale.

We’ll see how the year goes. I’m optimistic and hope to see a more competitive team this year .I know it won’t be playoffs regardless how weak the division is, but a bounce back defensively to show gibby the rebuild is nearing the end along with a better power play will do wonders for the developement of the new core.
OldNYIfan and TZ11 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll