Jul. 24, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Saskleaf
I don't get it at all.

Idiot on the other end.
GenXHockey and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
Go Flames Go!
I like this for Buffalo. Levi has the potential to be an elite goaltender and the pairing of Levi-Luukkonen is looking really promising. And they got a 1st rounder as well for a guy who didnt want to play for the team and if he gets 6+mil in Florida - hey, i'll take that 100%.

From Florida's perspective, the team is getting better for sure and he is huge upgrade for a top6 but i dont know if he is worth a first rounder and a very promising goalie. But then i remind myself that Tampa paid two firsts for Coleman and Goodrow and that worked out perfectly for them, so i guess thats fine...
Lets see what kinda of deal he will sign. I expect 6x6.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 3:18 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Poll should have had a fourth choice: Los Angeles, because now we don't have to keep seeing the Turcotte/Vilardi-Quick-and-eighth-overall-pick-in-2021-draft-for-Reinhart trade proposals.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
Banned
he's a rental, if you were looking for more than a 1st and a prospect, you were over expecting.
It's not like the prospect is bad.
The 1st is what it is.

He's played 6 years, Next season is his 7th year. That makes him a UFA.
While maybe he could have got a little more, the reality is, this isn't some huge steal.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 3:46 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Bob for Drai straight up? You get your franchise goalie.

Holland laughs and says that isn’t fair… then adds Holloway and a 1st.
EsoYeezus69, OldNYIfan and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 3:49 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Lilka
I like this for Buffalo. Levi has the potential to be an elite goaltender and the pairing of Levi-Luukkonen is looking really promising. And they got a 1st rounder as well for a guy who didnt want to play for the team and if he gets 6+mil in Florida - hey, i'll take that 100%.

From Florida's perspective, the team is getting better for sure and he is huge upgrade for a top6 but i dont know if he is worth a first rounder and a very promising goalie. But then i remind myself that Tampa paid two firsts for Coleman and Goodrow and that worked out perfectly for them, so i guess thats fine...
Lets see what kinda of deal he will sign. I expect 6x6.

“Levi has the potential to be an elite goaltender” what brings you to that conclusion? Levi is a meh goalie prospect. He was fine for team Canada but really who isn’t. Didn’t even play last year.
Dalejh66 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 3:53 p.m.
Mellanbys Dead Rat
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Are they trying to collect all of the 2014 top 5? They got 1, 2 and 4.

We pretty happy with 3 of the top 4. All of the top 4 would tremendous.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:13 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: jpsnow13
Florida is going to be lit next season.

It's the kind of deal Montreal should have been on, to add a good player of course but also to block their direct competition from improving.

Sadly, I don't think Bergevin had what it took, Primeau + 2022 1st wouldn't had beat Florida's offer.

That offer beats the piss out of it. Not to mention that Montreal could have added a guy like poehling.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:14 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: pharrow
he's a rental, if you were looking for more than a 1st and a prospect, you were over expecting.
It's not like the prospect is bad.
The 1st is what it is.

He's played 6 years, Next season is his 7th year. That makes him a UFA.
While maybe he could have got a little more, the reality is, this isn't some huge steal.

Is he still a rental if Florida signs him to an 8 year deal?
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: GenXHockey

that is besides the point.
You don't get value because the player decides to stay. That's their decision and it's totally separate from dealing him.
He could just as well say no, and walk away from a deal and hit FA.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:19 p.m.

Assuming he's willing to do so. It's entirely up to Reinhart. He can force a one-year contract this year by electing arbitration and therefore becoming a UFA next summer. There's absolutely nothing Florida can do about it if he decides he doesn't want to stay.

So yes, he's still a rental. Absolutely no different than a guy like Morgan Rielly or Seth Jones who are/were set to be UFAs next summer.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:20 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
that is besides the point.
You don't get value because the player decides to stay. That's their decision and it's totally separate from dealing him.
He could just as well say no, and walk away from a deal and hit FA.

He is rfa… he has to stay. You’re acting like he is ufa. I get that he can go to Arb but I’m also willing to bet they talked to him before the trade.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:20 p.m.
Banned
He is rfa… he has to stay. You’re acting like he is ufa. I get that he can go to Arb but I’m also willing to bet they talked to him before the trade.

27 or 7 years.
Next year it's 7 years.
He's a UFA
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:22 p.m.
sensonfire
Edited Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:28 p.m.
I valued Sam Reinhart as being worth either the 8th, 9th or 10th overall pick for this year's draft.

Since drafting Aaron Ekblad, Florida has drafted between 10th and 15th overall a total of 5 times in 7 years.

If there was no condition on the 1st round pick, I might have voted fair deal, considering that Buffalo also got Canada's #1 goalie at the World Juniors.

However, there is a condition on the 1st round pick.

It prevents Buffalo from picking at 8th, 9th and 10th overall in 2022 using Florida's 1st.

If that is where the pick lands in 2022, Buffalo will have to wait another 12 months to use the pick.

Furthermore, Florida's 1st round pick for 2021 was 23rd overall and that also can't be ignored.

This doesn't seem like a fair trade for the Buffalo Sabres.

I voted for the Florida Panthers smile
GenXHockey and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:24 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
27 or 7 years.
Next year it's 7 years.
He's a UFA

Which would be true, if he was signed to a deal that expired next year. But he isn’t.
Saskleaf and jpsnow13 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:28 p.m.
Banned
Which would be true, if he was signed to a deal that expired next year. But he isn’t.

If he was staying in BUF he would have been.
Which is the point.
He wasn't sticking around. He like everyone else in BUF, wants out!

What he does with FL is up to him. He might not like the FL offer, nor want to stay in FL.
At which point he goes to ARB, gets a 1 year deal, and he walks next year.
There isn't much you can do about that.

I don't know why you are trying to argue this. He was a rental in BUF. Period. He was not signing long term there at all. He was hitting the open market next year, and that's the reality in which the deal took place.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
If he was staying in BUF he would have been.
Which is the point.
He wasn't sticking around. He like everyone else in BUF, wants out!

What he does with FL is up to him. He might not like the FL offer, nor want to stay in FL.
At which point he goes to ARB, gets a 1 year deal, and he walks next year.
There isn't much you can do about that.

I don't know why you are trying to argue this. He was a rental in BUF. Period. He was not signing long term there at all. He was hitting the open market next year, and that's the reality in which the deal took place.

It’s not the value to buffalo it’s the value to other teams. Buffalo isn’t bidding on him.

Florida I am sure talked to him before the trade.

His value to buffalo is what they can get for him. Which should have been more than this.

And you’re the one that started this whole rental argument.

Does he expire ufa next season? No. Therefore not a rental.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:38 p.m.
Banned
It’s not the value to buffalo it’s the value to other teams. Buffalo isn’t bidding on him.

Florida I am sure talked to him before the trade.

His value to buffalo is what they can get for him. Which should have been more than this.

And you’re the one that started this whole rental argument.

Does he expire ufa next season? No. Therefore not a rental.

yeah he is a UFA next season.
And it is the value IN BUF.
Because if they don't move him now, he walks. It's that simple.
They didn't have a choice but to move him. They knew that.
Every other team in the league knew that too.
What you think teams are going, we can possibly sign him long term so he has more value.
F NO.
They are looking at him as the lowest possible value in negotiating so they can get him as cheap as possible.
They went to the table and said, he walks next year, he's a rental, this is what we'll give you.
They sure as hell didn't go to the table saying.
We can sign him 8 years so he's worth so much more, here take all of our picks etc......

The F you learn how to negotiate.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:45 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
yeah he is a UFA next season.
And it is the value IN BUF.
Because if they don't move him now, he walks. It's that simple.
They didn't have a choice but to move him. They knew that.
Every other team in the league knew that too.
What you think teams are going, we can possibly sign him long term so he has more value.
F NO.
They are looking at him as the lowest possible value in negotiating so they can get him as cheap as possible.
They went to the table and said, he walks next year, he's a rental, this is what we'll give you.
They sure as hell didn't go to the table saying.
We can sign him 8 years so he's worth so much more, here take all of our picks etc......

The F you learn how to negotiate.

That’s buffalos job to say well you just worked out deal X with him or team 2 comes in says oh we will beat that offer. That’s what I am shocked about. Not more teams in on him.

The potential to sign a guy that will put up 30-40 goals and has his skill set.

The only way this is a fair deal is if reinhart was only willing to sign a one year deal with all other 31 teams.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:53 p.m.
Banned
That’s buffalos job to say well you just worked out deal X with him or team 2 comes in says oh we will beat that offer. That’s what I am shocked about. Not more teams in on him.

The potential to sign a guy that will put up 30-40 goals and has his skill set.

The only way this is a fair deal is if reinhart was only willing to sign a one year deal with all other 31 teams.

Most teams don't have cap or they are rebuilding and aren't in the market for 26 year old players that doesn't fit.
On top of it, look around, teams are dumping players right and left to get to the bottom.
There are probably a dozen other players on the Market right now waiting to be unloaded if teams can get a half way decent return.
On top of it you have FA about to open. Where you can find your same 20 goal scorer in multiple FAs.

He was a rental, that's all there was to it. You ask teams what they are willing to pay for a rental, and it's a 1st and a good prospect, typically for a good rental.
That's what he got.
It's not some horrible return. It's on par. It's what he would have got later in the year if they kept him for the first 50 games or whatever. Except now they don't have to hope he get doesn't get hurt.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
Go Flames Go!
“Levi has the potential to be an elite goaltender” what brings you to that conclusion? Levi is a meh goalie prospect. He was fine for team Canada but really who isn’t. Didn’t even play last year.

The only canadian goalie who was this good statistically and game-wise in wjc history as Levi was Carey Price. Im very confident that this guy will become an NHL level goalie in one year or two, especially in a team like Buffalo. I cant say he is gonna be 100% elite but hey, Blackwood was atrocious in wjc not too long ago but now he is really good and i think same thing will happen with Levi.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Reinhart was on pace for 38 goals…. On the sabres… without Eichel. He played his ass off. Ufa market is not that great. Especially for someone who can play centre.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Lilka
The only canadian goalie who was this good statistically and game-wise in wjc history as Levi was Carey Price. Im very confident that this guy will become an NHL level goalie in one year or two, especially in a team like Buffalo. I cant say he is gonna be 100% elite but hey, Blackwood was atrocious in wjc not too long ago but now he is really good and i think same thing will happen with Levi.

Well hopefully nhl goes better than qmjhl.
Jul. 24, 2021 at 5:26 p.m.
25th coming up
If it’s 1 oa it’s still a pretty fair deal

pretty certain I'd prefer Shane Wright

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit