Forums/Armchair-GM

WTF was Holland thinking

Created by: CD282
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2021
Published: Jul. 26, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This organization has basically everything but either a top-flight goalie or a A-level goalie prospect. Seriously:

C: McDavid is the best player in the world, hands-down. Draisaitl is one of the 5 best centers in the world. Holloway would go top-10 in a re-draft and Nuge is available to play center if needed. McLeod looks like he could be a legit 3C and Tullio is a dark horse candidate for the future.
LW: Nuge is signed for 8 more years and Hyman is reportedly about to commit for 7 years. LW is covered for a LONG time, so Savoie has plenty of time to develop. Holloway can play LW too.
RW: Two young guys already have the top-6 starboard side locked up, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto. Lavoie looks like he'll be in the NHL within a year too.
D: Nurse is a top-10 defenseman (see: Norris voting), Bear is showing promise, Bouchard is ready for full-time and Broberg isn't more than a year away.
G: I like Konovalov and Skinner, but neither is trending to being a 60-game elite starter in the NHL. I believe both guys will have careers in the bigs, but neither is a lock for a significant role.

Why then, when a franchise goalie dropped to Edmonton on Friday, did Holland trade the opportunity away just to get an extra 3rd rounder? This is triggering memories of Chiarelli's worst trade: #16 (Barzal) + #33 (Mitchell Stephens) for Griffin Reinhart, who was floundering in the AHL at the time. Bourgault (great name, BTW) probably turns into a player so it not as bad as that Chiarelli blunder, but given the above, WTF was Holland thinking? It makes no sense to me.

What's done is done, lets see what we can do with this roster even without an elite goalie on the horizon. I'm assuming Hyman gets signed on Wednesday, that seems to be fait accompli. And Holland has indicated a buyout will happen, lets say its Neal. Yamamoto, Skinner, Benson and Marody have all been qualified, so I'll give them each a 2-year contract to stick around. I think I'll move Stalock for a pick next year as I now have 3 goalies on the roster.

Lagesson, Skinner & Turris to the minors, Klefbom to LTIR and the net result is $11.5M in cap space with 19 signed. I need 2 forwards + 2 defensemen to fill out the roster.

Bringing in 2 cheap veterans on defense - Forbort and Hamonic - solidifies the back-end considerably without breaking the bank. That leaves $8.5M to fill 2 forward bottom-6 positions. Saad ($5M) + Haula ($2M) should fit the bill nicely.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$5,500,000
1$1,250,000
1$1,750,000
3$5,000,000
1$2,000,000
Trades
EDM
  1. 2022 5th round pick (TBL)
TBL
  1. Stalock, Alex
Additional Details:
Somewhere for something
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,996,968$669,339$907,500$1,503,032
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2021 at 11:03 a.m.
Holland really gave an early Christmas present to Guerin
csick liked this.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 11:18 a.m.
Yup, my friends dad talked to Holland before he signed with the Oilers and Holland said to him he was looking forward to retirement and going fishing all the time. So I am not sure how much he has invested in the Oilers besides a pay cheque.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 11:24 a.m.
Roster Architect
I think the main problem is that Oilers fans and management seem to overlook their biggest issue, which is overrating players and not having depth.

If you think Nurse is a top 10 defenceman then you have problems starting there. An argument can be made for Draisaitl as a top 5 centre, but he's really not in that territory either - so there's the overrating of the players.

As for the depth, good teams win starting with centre depth and Edmonton doesn't have it in that regard. Oilers have 2 legit options at centre, and then a bunch of question marks (at least a team like Toronto has 3 options at centre I guess). On top of that, Edmonton has again, 2 legit options on the wing and then a bunch of question marks & that's even after they bring in Hyman (which good luck with that contract in 2-3 years time). Keeping the Leafs as the model here, they had better depth on the wing and much higher talent - they were able to round out a top 6 of wingers and even their 3rd line wingers at least did their role well, where as Edmonton is left with question marks everywhere. Yamamoto took a step back, Puljujarvi was good but in consistent, Hyman is good but there's still no guarantee he fits in, so you're left with 1 maybe 2 options at wing (RNH and maybe Hyman). That's a hard forward core to sell to a team expecting to win a cup and even Toronto's was better and they couldn't get past the first round.

Then the defence - oh buy. Again, Nurse is not a top 10 defenceman, Norris votes don't mean much, it says he had a good season but doesn't show his overall game (the award is highly valued towards offensive minded defenseman), he's closer to a top 20 guy. From there again it's nothing but question marks - Bear took a step back and was inconsistent, Keith was brought in but has been on the decline for almost 5 seasons, it'll be Bouchard'a first real full season so you don't know how he'll end up, and then you bring in 2 slow footed guys in Forbort and Hamonic to play in a lineup that's based around speed. It just doesn't add up. Then you wanna bring back the same goalie tandem as last season, where Smith is due for a set back at his age - 1 good season still doesn't change what he is - and Koskinen who's just garbage.

Bottom line is that this team is in more trouble than fans and management seem to think. & they're wasting one of the best players of all time's prime in the process which is a huge loss to the league.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
Saad is gonna be a leaf in Wednesday mark my words.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
Mike Smith threatened to hit them with an Ageism Lawsuit if they drafted a goalie in round one.
CD282 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Oil Country Rising
In the same boat as well.

Top 6 is OVERSTOCKED and we drafted yet another redundant player. Nothing against Bourgault, just how the team depth has been and the existing holes that still exist.

Hyman-McDavid-JP
Nuge-Drai-Yam
Holloway-McLeod-Lavoie

Where does Bourgault fit in, truly, where does he fit in? This is the top NINE lineup you're most likely gonna get in the next 4+ years.
Dude is not a grinder, he's not a big bodied 4th liner, he wasnt known for his 2 way play.. this is a great player, but one without an earmarked spot on the lineup.

Koolaid drinkers point to "goalies take 5yrs, Bourgault will take 3yrs" yeah, but without a spot while we flounder on without any FRANCHISE LEVEL goaltending prospect!
Could have at least started the countdown!

Could've picked Wallstedt to flip for another team's almost-ready prospect, since typically you can trade off a further off goalie prospect for one that is ready now but is blockaded by that team's current goaltending situation.

To me, if Holland does not make a move for a legit starter, this team is done for. McDrai window wasted.
CD282 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: TrueCanuck
An argument can be made for Draisaitl as a top 5 centre, but he's really not in that territory either - so there's the overrating of the players.

LOL, sure. He won the Hart and Art Ross last year, he's 2nd in points & 4th in goals over the past 5 seasons combined. At some point you detractors will have to see that it's not all because of McDavid, just like Jagr wasn't all because of Lemieux.

As for the depth, good teams win starting with centre depth and Edmonton doesn't have it in that regard. Oilers have 2 legit options at centre, and then a bunch of question marks (at least a team like Toronto has 3 options at centre I guess).

McDavid > Matthews
Draisaitl > Tavares
Nugent-Hopkins > Engvall / Kerfoot / whoever
Holloway > any Leafs prospect

On top of that, Edmonton has again, 2 legit options on the wing and then a bunch of question marks & that's even after they bring in Hyman (which good luck with that contract in 2-3 years time). Keeping the Leafs as the model here, they had better depth on the wing and much higher talent - they were able to round out a top 6 of wingers and even their 3rd line wingers at least did their role well, where as Edmonton is left with question marks everywhere. Yamamoto took a step back, Puljujarvi was good but in consistent, Hyman is good but there's still no guarantee he fits in, so you're left with 1 maybe 2 options at wing (RNH and maybe Hyman). That's a hard forward core to sell to a team expecting to win a cup and even Toronto's was better and they couldn't get past the first round.

You're underselling the young wingers and also ignoring Edmonton's cap space. They could easily bring in another good winger like Saad or Tatar this summer.

Here's Yamamoto & Puljujarvi's goal scoring over the past 2 seasons (1 for JP) compared to Toronto's top-6 wingers:

Nylander: 1.09
Puljujarvi: 0.89
Hyman: 0.88
Marner: 0.82
Yamamoto: 0.72
Kerfoot: 0.56

Three of the top-5 here are playing in Edmonton next year. Plus Nuge scored as well as Marner (0.80).

Then the defence - oh buy. Again, Nurse is not a top 10 defenceman, Norris votes don't mean much, it says he had a good season but doesn't show his overall game (the award is highly valued towards offensive minded defenseman), he's closer to a top 20 guy. From there again it's nothing but question marks - Bear took a step back and was inconsistent, Keith was brought in but has been on the decline for almost 5 seasons, it'll be Bouchard'a first real full season so you don't know how he'll end up

If you knew anything at all about hockey you'd know that Nurse's game isn't based around offense.

As for the rest of it, I never made any claims about Keith, in fact I didn't even mention his name. So that's a complete red herring. Bear has played well with Nurse, better than Barrie except for luck (NST link), Bouchard has shown well in previous at bats and won't be relied on for anything more than 3rd pairing and PP duty this year, while Broberg is trending ahead of Klefbom. I didn't even mention Samorukov, who could make the team out of camp this fall.

and then you bring in 2 slow footed guys in Forbort and Hamonic to play in a lineup that's based around speed.

Forbort is rumored to be signing in Boston, a lineup that's based around speed. Not everyone has to skate like the wind in order to play fast, you know.

Then you wanna bring back the same goalie tandem as last season, where Smith is due for a set back at his age - 1 good season still doesn't change what he is - and Koskinen who's just garbage.

That tandem is in place already, I didn't set that up. Nor would I have. You need to separate your criticism for Holland with your criticism for me. We aren't the same person... the whole point of this AGM was to show how stupid the draft day trade down was due to the goaltending situation, I'd say I nailed it.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 12:27 p.m.
Quoting: Miguelicious
In the same boat as well.

Top 6 is OVERSTOCKED and we drafted yet another redundant player. Nothing against Bourgault, just how the team depth has been and the existing holes that still exist.

Hyman-McDavid-JP
Nuge-Drai-Yam
Holloway-McLeod-Lavoie

Where does Bourgault fit in, truly, where does he fit in? This is the top NINE lineup you're most likely gonna get in the next 4+ years.
Dude is not a grinder, he's not a big bodied 4th liner, he wasnt known for his 2 way play.. this is a great player, but one without an earmarked spot on the lineup.

Koolaid drinkers point to "goalies take 5yrs, Bourgault will take 3yrs" yeah, but without a spot while we flounder on without any FRANCHISE LEVEL goaltending prospect!
Could have at least started the countdown!

Could've picked Wallstedt to flip for another team's almost-ready prospect, since typically you can trade off a further off goalie prospect for one that is ready now but is blockaded by that team's current goaltending situation.

To me, if Holland does not make a move for a legit starter, this team is done for. McDrai window wasted.

I bet that Wallstedt is an impact NHLer before Bourgault is.

I really don't mind adding another skilled RHS center to the depth chart, I really don't. But why would you pass up a franchise goalie that was gift-wrapped for you when that's your greatest need??
Jul. 26, 2021 at 12:47 p.m.
Quoting: EccE
Holland really gave an early Christmas present to Guerin

The gift that keeps on giving!
Jul. 26, 2021 at 3:06 p.m.
Banned
That defense and goaltending is sus. Worst of all, is that they are in the worst division in the league and cant tank. Forbort and Hamonic dont solidify anything. Both were part of two terrible defenses in Winnipeg and Vancouver. They are 3rd pairing replacement level. Bear was a drag on any pairing last season. Keith is done! The coach doesnt trust Bouchard and give him minutes yet will play Keith into the ground. Nurse and a whole lot of nothing.

McDrai indeed wasted
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:49 p.m.
Quoting: OlegP
That defense and goaltending is sus. Worst of all, is that they are in the worst division in the league and cant tank. Forbort and Hamonic dont solidify anything. Both were part of two terrible defenses in Winnipeg and Vancouver. They are 3rd pairing replacement level. Bear was a drag on any pairing last season. Keith is done! The coach doesnt trust Bouchard and give him minutes yet will play Keith into the ground. Nurse and a whole lot of nothing.

McDrai indeed wasted

Tank?? LOL wut.

awesome face
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: CD282
Tank?? LOL wut.

awesome face

That's some confirmation bias if i ever saw it. Absolutely no context to what i said
Jul. 27, 2021 at 8:27 a.m.
Quoting: OlegP
That's some confirmation bias if i ever saw it. Absolutely no context to what i said

You said it, own it. I couldn't be bothered to point out all the stupidity in your post, so I'm just laughing. laugh

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll