Forums/Armchair-GM

The Window Opens

Created by: bdb
Team: 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2021
Published: Jul. 26, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't agree with the moves Benning has made but respect that he's taking his shot and he has undeniably improved the team significantly this year. Ultimately he's betting on this group to be contenders. I see the window open while Horvat and Miller are signed to reasonable contracts, afterwards it will get trickier but depending on how the cap rises, they might be able to keep everyone a bit longer.

Added winger depth takes some of the pressure off Podkolzin and Hoglander and creates 4 solid lines. I'm not a huge fan of Sutter coming back but I could see him taking a cheap deal to stay here.

Canucks are able to get Hughes to a reasonable cap hit but will need to resign him in 2 years, further limiting their window. Next year they have 14 million to resign/replace Rathbone, Boeser, Braun and Sutter. The following year they will have ~ 30 million to resign/replace Horvat (7.5), Miller(7.5), Hughes(8.5), Hoglander (5), and 3 depth pieces (1.5).

Phi needs a Vet goalie and they add prospect without adding cap. They also have some internal options to replace Braun.

Min replaces Suter and sheds much needed salary for the upcoming years, not sure how this will go over with wild fans but I think its a fair deal and it doesn't add much to their longer term cap while filling a significant hole on the backend. Foligno will obviously be missed as he is a key identify player but figured that his cap hit is a bit too much for what he brings.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$7,200,000
2$5,800,000
4$4,850,000
5$2,750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
2$1,000,000
4$2,500,000
1$750,000
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,435,659$648,780$1,900,000$2,064,341
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$7,200,000$7,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 2
$4,850,000$4,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LD
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:21 p.m.
Banned
Edited Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:31 p.m.
Umm..no. Marcus foligno, and Ryan Hartman aren't being traded. They are too important to wild, and were given 3 years extension starting next season .

Sorry, but no one besides Arizona especially wild are taking on the trash contract of Nate schmidt whose a cap dump. Then two nobody..this deal is rejected very easily. How you ever thought this was fair, or didn't thought it out than both players being given multi year extensions will be traded, not only be traded but traded for cap dump, and trash
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:22 p.m.
Patient gm
Ummmm that’s a horrible deal for minnesota. Isn’t Schmidt’s cap hit alone higher than both foligno and hartman combined? So to replace suter and give them cap relief they take on more contract for more years? I don’t understand how you got to that logic. This really wasn’t thought at all was it?
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Lightman13
Ummmm that’s a horrible deal for minnesota. Isn’t Schmidt’s cap hit alone higher than both foligno and hartman combined? So to replace suter and give them cap relief they take on more contract for more years? I don’t understand how you got to that logic. This really wasn’t thought at all was it?
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:45 p.m.

They add 1.3 million to replace a top 4 D. I get Foligno and Hartman are popular players but their combined 4.7 over the next 3 years for bottom 9 players seems excessive considering the cap issues they will have.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:47 p.m.
Let's see... the Wild trade important, cheap forward depth away for.... a cap dump, a zero-asset and a fringe NHLer... yeah, no, we're good
Amakoue and Lightman13 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:50 p.m.
Quoting: Amakoue
Umm..no. Marcus foligno, and Ryan Hartman aren't being traded. They are too important to wild, and were given 3 years extension starting next season .

Sorry, but no one besides Arizona especially wild are taking on the trash contract of Nate schmidt whose a cap dump. Then two nobody..this deal is rejected very easily. How you ever thought this was fair, or didn't thought it out than both players being given multi year extensions will be traded, not only be traded but traded for cap dump, and trash

Not sure I agree on your opinion of Schmidt as he's a legit top 4 player, I would prefer to keep him but he wants out. Motte and Hartman are pretty comparable players but Foligno is obviously a key role player. I can't see the Wild affording him after this season though.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
Quoting: EccE
Let's see... the Wild trade important, cheap forward depth away for.... a cap dump, a zero-asset and a fringe NHLer... yeah, no, we're good

How is Foligno cheap depth? He shot 28% this year and hit career numbers? He's an overpaid, although valuable depth player. Hartman isn't overpaid but I wouldn't consider him cheap depth either.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: bdb
Not sure I agree on your opinion of Schmidt as he's a legit top 4 player, I would prefer to keep him but he wants out. Motte and Hartman are pretty comparable players but Foligno is obviously a key role player. I can't see the Wild affording him after this season though.

He's signed to a 3 years deal, so you are wrong you can have your opinion but, also be wrong

Ryan Hartman signed a very team friendly 3 years extension

Again wild don't want Nate schmidt. You can keep him. Wild already agreed with alex G to be d #4, or 5. Teams were asking for 1st just to take him on.

Calen addison will be 5 and wild will sign 6d

No one is taking on nate schmidt, and his contract, especially wild
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
Banned
How is Foligno cheap depth? He shot 28% this year and hit career numbers? He's an overpaid, although valuable depth player. Hartman isn't overpaid but I wouldn't consider him cheap depth either.

And nate schmidt contract, and cap is way way worse, how do you not see that? How do you not understand that both players are beloved by gm Guerin of wild and were given that extension for a reason along with no chance they are being traded as they are too important to wild
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:58 p.m.
He's signed to a 3 years deal, so you are wrong you can have your opinion but, also be wrong

Ryan Hartman signed a very team friendly 3 years extension

Again wild don't want Nate schmidt. You can keep him. Wild already agreed with alex G to be d #4, or 5. Teams were asking for 1st just to take him on.

Calen addison will be 5 and wild will sign 6d

No one is taking on nate schmidt, and his contract, especially wild

Hopefully the nucks can figure out a way to keep Schmidt but I doubt they can. I expect they wild are in a similar position trying to move their "cheap depth" next year when the penalties hit.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 4:59 p.m.

Foligno is an elite defensive winger (11th in Selke voting) who can chip in some valuable scoring. Wouldn't say he's overpaid. I don't know how you can't consider Hartman, a good 3C/W at 1,7 million cheap.
Amakoue and Lightman13 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:01 p.m.
Banned
Hopefully the nucks can figure out a way to keep Schmidt but I doubt they can. I expect they wild are in a similar position trying to move their "cheap depth" next year when the penalties hit.

Not really. That's your opinion. Canucks gm has all but made it clear he's trying to move schmidt because of his signings, and trades wild don't have that problem
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:09 p.m.
Foligno is an elite defensive winger (11th in Selke voting) who can chip in some valuable scoring. Wouldn't say he's overpaid. I don't know how you can't consider Hartman, a good 3C/W at 1,7 million cheap.

I think 20 pt wingers grow on trees, nothing wrong with Hartman, he plays hard and has some skill but 1.7 isn't cheap its the going rate. Foligno is a unicorn in terms of his physical and responsible play, I disagree with the elite moniker and imagine his strong season had more to do with play with EK, who I would call Elite. You guys are taking this as an insult, they are good players and if the wild didn't have to deal with massive penalties, I would agree that they wouldn't be on the block. Who else is the team going to move to clear cap from 2022-2026? Any other player is going to cost the same or more to replace. You can find bottom 6 wingers every year signing for less than 5 million combined.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
Not really. That's your opinion. Canucks gm has all but made it clear he's trying to move schmidt because of his signings, and trades wild don't have that problem

It's old news that Schmidt doesn't want to play in Van. Unfortunate but it is what it is. I'm sure a team would love to get him cheap and likely will because of the position Benning has put him in.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.
I think 20 pt wingers grow on trees, nothing wrong with Hartman, he plays hard and has some skill but 1.7 isn't cheap its the going rate. Foligno is a unicorn in terms of his physical and responsible play, I disagree with the elite moniker and imagine his strong season had more to do with play with EK, who I would call Elite. You guys are taking this as an insult, they are good players and if the wild didn't have to deal with massive penalties, I would agree that they wouldn't be on the block. Who else is the team going to move to clear cap from 2022-2026? Any other player is going to cost the same or more to replace. You can find bottom 6 wingers every year signing for less than 5 million combined.

Zuccarello will have his NMC lifted after this year, so trading him gives us 6 million. Rask's awful deal expires after this season, giving us an additional 4 million. Rossi, Addison and Boldy will be playing with their ELCs for a few years. Our cap crunch is exaggerated. Plus, if we were to save cap, Schmidt's 6 million for four years would be immediately off the table.
Lightman13 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:24 p.m.
Patient gm

I’m not taking this as an insult - I get your rationale, just think that this particular proposal cripples the wild far more than it helps them. Advanced metrics show foligno to be a top 2 or 3 defensive winger in the nhl. He doesn’t put up a lot of points so he’ll never be a selke contender, but in the same way a Jonas brodin is a top 5 defensive defensemen. He’ll never put up much for numbers but is as solid as they come for what he does.

Taking a Schmidt who is a 2nd pair defender on a wild team, but old costly and longer term than they are looking for. Foligno and hartman more than make up for a cheaper 2nd pair option with their responsible play. A move like this would be much less fruitful for the wild. A move for hartman and foligno like this would genuinely require more than a 1st be added by Vancouver and more salary going back. Which I’m sure would sound quite unreasonable, but also would be necessary.

I think a better proposal wiuld be centered around greenway and rask. The cap would work better for the wild in the near future and would only give you greenway to resign after for a modest raise.
EccE liked this.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:28 p.m.
Zuccarello will have his NMC lifted after this year, so trading him gives us 6 million. Rask's awful deal expires after this season, giving us an additional 4 million. Rossi, Addison and Boldy will be playing with their ELCs for a few years. Our cap crunch is exaggerated. Plus, if we were to save cap, Schmidt's 6 million for four years would be immediately off the table.

Not sure teams will be lining up to take Zucc at 6 million, he bounced back this year but still overpaid. Rask certainly helps but I think you are downplaying how significant the penalty will be. The Wild still need to add a top 6 C and 5 defenseman.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:31 p.m.
I’m not taking this as an insult - I get your rationale, just think that this particular proposal cripples the wild far more than it helps them. Advanced metrics show foligno to be a top 2 or 3 defensive winger in the nhl. He doesn’t put up a lot of points so he’ll never be a selke contender, but in the same way a Jonas brodin is a top 5 defensive defensemen. He’ll never put up much for numbers but is as solid as they come for what he does.

Taking a Schmidt who is a 2nd pair defender on a wild team, but old costly and longer term than they are looking for. Foligno and hartman more than make up for a cheaper 2nd pair option with their responsible play. A move like this would be much less fruitful for the wild. A move for hartman and foligno like this would genuinely require more than a 1st be added by Vancouver and more salary going back. Which I’m sure would sound quite unreasonable, but also would be necessary.

I think a better proposal wiuld be centered around greenway and rask. The cap would work better for the wild in the near future and would only give you greenway to resign after for a modest raise.

Interesting take, I haven't watched a ton of Wild games recently but thought Greenway would be untouchable. Rask doesn't really help much because your issues are going to be after his deal expires.

Regardless, will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
Not sure teams will be lining up to take Zucc at 6 million, he bounced back this year but still overpaid. Rask certainly helps but I think you are downplaying how significant the penalty will be. The Wild still need to add a top 6 C and 5 defenseman.

We need to do a lot. But adding Schmidt and his deal just makes things worse.
Amakoue liked this.
Jul. 26, 2021 at 6:19 p.m.
Banned

No you are wrong
Jonas brodin, matt dumba
Jared spurgeon, Calen addison, or Alex G
Calen addison, Alex G, then 6th d
Jul. 26, 2021 at 7:58 p.m.
VanFan12
It's odd to me that everyone sees Schmitd as a cap dump. I hope we hold on to him - he had a bad year last year but still may be our #1 defenceman.

The poster really struck a cord with you Wild fans on this one hey?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll