SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2021 NHL Draft Review

2021 NHL Draft Review

Draft Class: 2021
Created By: Z0ra
Published: Jul. 29, 2021 at 11:26 a.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo is in rebuild mode, they take best player available rather than address a team need.
2Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Seattle hasn't played a single NHL game, they also go with best player available rather than address a team need. Technically they are as they lack center depth without Beniers.
3Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-I kinda saw it coming for two reasons. I've seen comparisons to Ryan Getzlaf and McTavish is a goal-scoring center. I did consider Guenther but centers have more value than wingers.
4Logo of the New Jersey Devils-I, along with everyone could see this coming. Luke and Jack reunite.
5Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-I feel like the Blue Jackets should have taken Eklund. Size doesn't matter. Johnson may be scoring some highlight-reel goals but he lacks defense and doesn't have great skating ability.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Before the Nedeljkovic trade, I thought that the Red Wings would take Wallstedt. But with Nedeljkovic being such a young goalie, that wasn't the case anymore. Instead I did think that Yzerman would go for Edvinsson, he could form a dangerous pairing alongside Seider.
7Logo of the San Jose Sharks-After hearing that both LaBanc and Meier were in trade talks, I knew the Sharks would go with a forward. I had them taking Johnson here.
8Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-With Petersen being a reliable backup and Quick not getting any younger, I had the Kings taking Wallstedt. They had everything but a elite goalie prospect like Wallstedt.
9Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Vancouver CanucksArizona would have two options here. They could have drafted Clarke, who could replace Ekman-Larsson. Or draft Guenther, to replace their goal-scorer in Garland. I picked Guenther because even with Garland, Arizona was struggling to score goals. Kessel also being in trade talks was another reason for Arizona picking Guenther.
10Logo of the Ottawa Senators-I do not agree with what Ottawa did here by selecting Boucher. Here I have them selecting Clarke.
11Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Draft Pick Forfeited
12Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksI had the Blue Jackets selecting Ceulemans with this selection.
13Logo of the Calgary Flames-I initially had Calgary selecting Sillinger. Coronato is also a good selection but Sillinger has a higher ceiling.
14Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersI knew Lysell would fall in the draft because of his attitute. I didn't think he would fall past 10th. Easy pick for Buffalo here.
15Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Dallas StarsTHIS IS THE STARS PICK!!!! I didn't think that the Stars would trade this pick. They have an easy selection in Lucius.
16Logo of the New York Rangers-I thought the Rangers had an easy pick in Svozil. Solidifies their depth on LD.
17Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Easy pick here in Coronato. If the Blues trade Tarasenko, they will lack goal-scorers. Coronato could be their Tarasenko replacement.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Jets took a W in this draft by drafting Lucius. During the draft, I did predict them to take Lambos in order to address their need at defense.
19Logo of the Nashville Predators-Svechkov is a good pick, but I thought that Othmann was a better pick. The Predators need a sniper badly. But I do understand this pick, with Duchene and Johansen part of trade rumors I do see Nashville wanting a replacement center.
20Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Edmonton OilersTHIS IS THE OILERS PICK!!!!! I am shocked with what the Oilers did, trading down when both Wallstedt and Lysell were still available. I predicted the Oilers stay at this spot and select Cossa. Im not as shocked as most people that Cossa went before Wallstedt. He is way bigger in size than Wallstedt and had better numbers.
21Logo of the Boston Bruins-The Bruins struggled with goal-scoring last season, so I had them grabbing Pastujov.
22Logo of the Edmonton OilersLogo of the Minnesota WildThe Wild lacked secondary scoring behind Kaprizov, so I had them grabbing a goal-scorer in Stankoven.
23Logo of the Dallas StarsLogo of the Washington Capitals
Aatu Räty (+29 )
Raty could be the steal of the draft. Detroit could use a middle-six center.
24Logo of the Florida Panthers-Defensive depth behind Ekblad is ice thin, so I had the Panthers grabbing a defensemen over a forward.
25Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsMorrow has a higher ceiling than Schmidt, but Schmidt has NHL-ready size. Morrow is very inexperienced as he's playing in USHS Prep, I saw him as a guaranteed faller.
26Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsThe Wild won't draft a defenseman unless they have top-four potential. In my mock draft, Lambos isn't available, so I have them increasing their center depth.
27Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Carolina HurricanesThe Canes lost a LD in Fleury, so I had them drafting a LD in Behrens.
28Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-I had the Avalanche draft the perfect complement to Newhook. I have zero clue why Robertsson fell to the 4th round. Blues got a steal.
29Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the New York IslandersThe Devils like drafting Russians, they continue their trend here.
30Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Even though the Golden Knights acquired a young center in Patrick, with his health I still thought that they should draft a center for some insurance. Pinelli is the best center available.
31Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The Canadiens need a RD to replace Weber in the future. They may have drafted Mauilloux but they should have drafted Morrow.
32Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningThe Blackhawks need a winger after grabbing a defenseman in Seth Jones. They take Rosen here.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 7:03 p.m.
rangers need a center nothing else
Jul. 30, 2021 at 9:34 a.m.
WHY, would the Rangers go that far off the board??? Lmao!
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:21 a.m.
Lenny7
Pretty pumped that the Ducks snagged Pastujov in the 3rd (!!!) round.

USDP players are typically a number of years away, and there's probably a good reason why he fell so far, but boy howdy, what a high ceiling for a 3rd rounder.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
All in all, going into the season and it looked like the Wild's two picks were going to be a lot higher, my dream was to get one or two of Kent Johnson, Jesper Wallstedt, and Carson Lambos.

Naturally, once our picks were in the 20's, the only one I had a remote hope of getting was Lambos. I felt comfortable about possibly getting Cossa if Wallstedt wasn't likely there.

But... To be able to walk away from that draft with 2 out of the 3 I wanted most in Wallstedt and Lambos. I am over the moon! Gotta say that was instant win of a draft for us in my book!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll