Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs Lines With Explanation

Created by: BallPuckFellow10
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 29, 2021
Published: Jul. 29, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here is what I think Dubas plans are with the way he has constructed the lineup this offseason.

First Line:
I think anyone can play with Matthews and Marner. They are such a good duo together and the way Bunting plays with his ability to drive the net and battle for pucks, I think he will be a good fit. I don't really have any worries here. I think Bunting has the potential to explode much like Carter Verhaeghe did last year on the Panthers. In this role I can see him getting around 20 goals and 35 points in an 82 game season. If it doesn't workout for him, or if the Leafs sign another top 6 forward, I can see him taking the LW spot on the fourth line instead of Robertson. He would still produce offense with Spezza and Simmonds, but obviously less than playing with Matthews and Marner.

Second Line:
Just like the first line, Tavares and Nylander are a formidable duo. Last year literally everyone played on their wing without it affecting their production. Kerfoot looked really good when getting an elevated role on the team during the playoffs and I think he will be the third component on this line. I'd definitely look at him putting up similar number to the ones he had in Colorado now that he will have a more offensive role (Around 15 goals and 40 points).

Third Line:
This will be an all defensive line. These guys are not expected to score any goals, just to play against the other teams best players. Engvall and Mikheyev are both really solid defensively, great skaters, big bodies and really coachable. Whatever their assignment is on a certain night I feel confident that they will execute the plan accordingly. Kämpf will slot in as the center here. He is a workhorse that is great on face-offs, has a great stick and was the player on Chicago that had the most defensive zone starts of all their centers. Just like Engvall and Mikheyev, he shouldn't be evaluated on the points he scores. He is going to be extremely valuable to this team defensively, something that the casual fan maybe won't understand until after a few months of watching him play.

Fourth Line:
An all offense line that I think will make many fourth lines in the league defend. Robertson can be eased in to the NHL and gets to play with two great vets that he can learn so much from. Spezza is still a really good playmaker and Simmonds looked great until he broke his wrist. Robertson is a goalscorer with a great engine I really like the fit on this line.

Scratches:
The two forward scratches Amadio and Gabriel will have roles on this team as well. Amadio can play on both the third and fourth line. He has great speed and is a reliable two-way player. If someone like Engvall isn't playing good which tends to happen at some point of the season, he can slot in on that line. In tough back to back situations he can slot in at center at 4th line to give Spezza a rest. Gabriel is a great guy and will be a good addition to the locker room. His work with the LGBTQ+ community is great and his gritty style on the ice will make him a fan favorite. In some games when his physicality is needed, he can slot in and provide that. Good option as a 14th forward.

Defense:
I don't think that the two first defensive pairings need any explanation. Exactly the same as last season and we know exactly what we get from these guys. My only concern is the third pair. I like Sandin and Dermott, but together? Not so sure. I think this pair is the weakest point on the team and I feel like a player like Bogosian was last season is needed here. Maybe they start the season together and add someone before the deadline, but ideally, they add a solid defensive defensemen here before the season starts. I can see Dermott getting dealt as I think Sandin has more upside than him. My suggestions to add here would be Demers or Gudbranson via free agency, or guys like Brown (Ottawa), Coghlan (Vegas), Lyubuskin (Arizona) or Rutta (Tampa) via trade. Liljegren will get chances this year and should be the 7th defenseman during the regular season.

Goaltending:
The goalie tandem is great and will give the team a chance to win every night no matter who is playing. I feel really confident with these two guys.

Other Options:
I just put the other players that realistically are going to try to battle for a spot on the taxi squad. I know this is not a thing this year but it was just to show the depth the Leafs now have with players that can play in the NHL. Brooks was really good last year and could come in and play some games when there are injuries. The Leafs know what they get from him. Semyonov is interesting. Initially I thought he was going to play the Kämpf role, but now he really will have to impress to make this team out of camp. Getting a few games in the AHL won't be bad for him to adjust to the North American game, and he can be an option later on in the season. Dubas said himself that he think guys like Anderson are going to push for a spot this season. He could just like Brooks get chances when injuries occur. Biega, Dahlström and Hutchinson all have NHL experience and can fill in if an injury crisis arises.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,829,783$0$400,000$670,217

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
RFA - 2
LD
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 29, 2021 at 11:58 a.m.
themostleaf33
I still think Dubas will trade some cap out and sign another LW like Ritchie
Jul. 29, 2021 at 11:58 a.m.
Kampf is a stud defensively, will be on your PK for sure and is also very good transitioning the puck out of the zone and adds some good skill on the backcheck. He's a really solid fit for the Leafs that still struggle defensively. Sorry to see him go in Chicago, he was a really good 4C for us.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Hard to believe that Bunting is as good as so many Leafs fans expect him to be. You would think if he was first line material he would have signed for more than 950,000 elsewhere.
Leafs better get scoring from more than two lines. If any of the top two lines slump, Leafs lose without alternate scoring.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:03 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Kampf is a stud defensively, will be on your PK for sure and is also very good transitioning the puck out of the zone and adds some good skill on the backcheck. He's a really solid fit for the Leafs that still struggle defensively. Sorry to see him go in Chicago, he was a really good 4C for us.

Thanks for saying that, I feel like he gets hate from people that has never seen him play. I am a hockey nerd and try to watch every team play. From a defensive standpoint, he has impressed me a lot. I think he will do what the Leafs initially thought Kerfoot was going to do.
DeletedACGMAccount and ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Hard to believe that Bunting is as good as so many Leafs fans expect him to be. You would think if he was first line material he would have signed for more than 950,000 elsewhere.
Leafs better get scoring from more than two lines. If any of the top two lines slump, Leafs lose without alternate scoring.

When he got called up last year, he played on the Arizona first line with Schmaltz and Garland and put up 10 goals in 21 games. Matthews and Marner are better players than both of them, he definitely is 1st line material on this roster.
DeletedACGMAccount liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:07 p.m.
Deleted

Stop using a player's salary as an indicator to how good a player they can or will be. By your logic Erik Karlsson is better than Mackinnon. Go watch him play, he would slot in nicely on the first line
BallPuckFellow10 liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Nate
Stop using a player's salary as an indicator to how good a player they can or will be. By your logic Erik Karlsson is better than Mackinnon. Go watch him play, he would slot in nicely on the first line

That is foolish logic you convey. Guess the Leafs should of signed Hamilton for 1m. Hey I'm hoping Bunting plays well. But he has been an AHLer with short burst of goodness last season. To expect him to a top contributor seems just folly. And what I have seen of him, he's no not a grinding winger at all and puck retriever that is needed for the top line.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: themostleaf33
I still think Dubas will trade some cap out and sign another LW like Ritchie

I could see them trading Engvall in that case and put Kerfoot on the third line left wing and roll with Nick Ritchie on one of the top 6 lines.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: billydenis10
I could see them trading Engvall in that case and put Kerfoot on the third line left wing and roll with Nick Ritchie on one of the top 6 lines.

Sure they trade out Engvall 1.2m, but the Leafs really don't have that much cap to get a top 6 LWer. How much is Ritchie gonna cost?.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:20 p.m.
That is foolish logic you convey. Guess the Leafs should of signed Hamilton for 1m. Hey I'm hoping Bunting plays well. But he has been an AHLer with short burst of goodness last season. To expect him to a top contributor seems just folly. And what I have seen of him, he's no not a grinding winger at all and puck retriever that is needed for the top line.

I don't really understand your Hamilton point here? Can you explain please. It is true that he has been an AHLer with a short burst of goodness, but look at someone like Carter Verhaeghe in Florida. He played one season for the Lightning and then he went to Florida and flourished playing with Barkov. Why can Bunting not do the same? His numbers suggest that he is ready for a role like this. And if he doesn't work they still have room to trade someone out and add someone else. He is definitely a hard working winger with nastiness to his game, I suggest you go back and watch some Coyotes games.
DeletedACGMAccount liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:22 p.m.
Deleted

If you play Bunting on the top line and it doesn't work out, then just move him. You don't have to play the same lines all year. I'm sure he would slot in very well on the top line, but if he doesn't we still have a damn fine depth player. People are so critical and make these stupid assumptions before seeing anything. Leafs started Vesey on the second line, so why not start Bunting there? Who's to say he doesn't blow up this year. Right now he is on a fantastic contract, but he should still be given a chance in the top 6 considering his style of play. Jesus.
BallPuckFellow10 and palhal liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:22 p.m.
i personally would rather see kerfoot on matthews line with marner as both kerfoot and marner both play on pk together as that line generally plays against tougher lines especially with kerfoot having a lil more more experience and better defensively for that line similar to hyman, but definetly not as good as him
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
Sure they trade out Engvall 1.2m, but the Leafs really don't have that much cap to get a top 6 LWer. How much is Ritchie gonna cost?.

If they trade Engvall, the Leafs will have just north of $1.9M with a 22 man roster, so that is what they could offer Nick Ritchie. If they move Dermott and sign someone else to play RD on that third pair for let's say $1.2M, they will have an extra $300K and could offer Ritchie $2.2M.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don't really understand your Hamilton point here? Can you explain please. It is true that he has been an AHLer with a short burst of goodness, but look at someone like Carter Verhaeghe in Florida. He played one season for the Lightning and then he went to Florida and flourished playing with Barkov. Why can Bunting not do the same? His numbers suggest that he is ready for a role like this. And if he doesn't work they still have room to trade someone out and add someone else. He is definitely a hard working winger with nastiness to his game, I suggest you go back and watch some Coyotes games.

The point was Nate didn't think $$$$ means anything to players or teams. If you really think Bunting is viable Hyman replacement, I'm fine with your belief. I'm just not a believer that Bunting is the guy during an 82 game schedule. Oh, I agree with you he might be a "Verhaeghe". I'm just think it too much unrealistic optimism. Leafs LW except for Hyman was pretty weak last year. Unless the crop they have now play above their contracts, it's probably the weakness on the Leafs.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:29 p.m.
Quoting: paulmull
i personally would rather see kerfoot on matthews line with marner as both kerfoot and marner both play on pk together as that line generally plays against tougher lines especially with kerfoot having a lil more more experience and better defensively for that line similar to hyman, but definetly not as good as him

To begin with, Kerfoot did not play with Marner on the PK. Marner played with Hyman, and Kerfoot played with Mikheyev. Kerfoot can definitely play with Matthews and Marner and Bunting with Tavares and Nylander. No issues at all.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:33 p.m.
To begin with, Kerfoot did not play with Marner on the PK. Marner played with Hyman, and Kerfoot played with Mikheyev. Kerfoot can definitely play with Matthews and Marner and Bunting with Tavares and Nylander. No issues at all.

what i ment was they could form another forward pk line, so it wouldnt disrupt using players on other lines with marner, bunting doesnt kill penaties or didnt with arizona
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:40 p.m.
The point was Nate didn't think $$$$ means anything to players or teams. If you really think Bunting is viable Hyman replacement, I'm fine with your belief. I'm just not a believer that Bunting is the guy during an 82 game schedule. Oh, I agree with you he might be a "Verhaeghe". I'm just think it too much unrealistic optimism. Leafs LW except for Hyman was pretty weak last year. Unless the crop they have now play above their contracts, it's probably the weakness on the Leafs.

I still don't understand what you are trying to say with your $ point? Based on what you have seen from Bunting last season (10G 3A 21GP) is it unrealistic to hope that he scores 20G and has around 15A in an 82 game season? I definitely don't think so. You are right, LW is the weakest position on the team.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: paulmull
what i ment was they could form another forward pk line, so it wouldnt disrupt using players on other lines with marner, bunting doesnt kill penaties or didnt with arizona

If you look, I created the PK lines. Kämpf with Engvall and Kerfoot with Mikheyev. Bunting won't need to play the PK. He will likely be an option for the PP either in the slot or in front of the net. Adding Kämpf will enable the Leafs to not have to depend on Marner playing the PK all the time. I can see him play there from time to time, but now he has a chance to rest and be more fresh during the games.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll