SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Chicago Blackhawks

What the hell happened this past week

Jul. 29, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
An insane overpay and extension, a pointless swap of a dead contract for an overpaid third liner, signing a “meh” LHD, and trading for a guy who won’t play here (albeit for nothing). Pretty crazy when my favorite move of the week was the fourth liner out of Edmonton. What exactly is the plan? This team still needs goaltending in the worst way, our defense isn’t any better despite jones or McCabe (anyone remember the logic of trading joker was cuz of Mitchell; how’s that working out?), and and the youth movement seriously feels undermined.

I’m not exactly excited for what we’re seeing, even if the team is better on paper. You can make claims that the team has great pieces in place, but I still haven’t even mentioned the biggest deficiency in this team. I’m not even gonna mention it since it’s pretty obvious but hawks fan should know why this team can’t move forward. But hey, at least seats are gonna be filled cuz of these moves! Christ sakes……

Anyone willing to share opinions on the statement of this mess please fire away. Be respectful though.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
exo2769
The reason PIT fans keep making teams for Gurbauer/Khudobin/MAF etc... Is because Jarry stunk last year. We shouldn't be trying to get Jarry at all. BUT this is getting Jarry for TWICE the cap hit.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 2:45 p.m.
Lol Caleb Jones on the first pair.tears of joy
Leafs Sufferer
TOR accepts this for sure.
Shibbal18
McCabe is severely underrated. Chicagos defense is much better
exo2769 liked this.
Quoting: Copenhagen
Lol Caleb Jones on the first pair.tears of joy

Agreed, pretty sad state of things here
Jul. 29, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
The reason PIT fans keep making teams for Gurbauer/Khudobin/MAF etc... Is because Jarry stunk last year. We shouldn't be trying to get Jarry at all. BUT this is getting Jarry for TWICE the cap hit.

I agree there, big problem is that we may end up going into another season unprepared at goalie. Is there a reason we couldn’t go after grubauer? I know he isn’t marquee, but he’s solid.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: HatterTParty
I agree there, big problem is that we may end up going into another season unprepared at goalie. Is there a reason we couldn’t go after grubauer? I know he isn’t marquee, but he’s solid.

He signed in Seattle. Rask or...Crawford
Jul. 29, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
He signed in Seattle. Rask or...Crawford

Let me rephrase: is there a reason we didn’t go after grubauer?
Jul. 29, 2021 at 3:39 p.m.
exo2769
Let me rephrase: is there a reason we didn’t go after grubauer?

Short term answer is...I really think they want Flower. He is the reigning Vezina winner and Lanky will get extended for the medium term/long term. Is the super long term it's Lankinen and Commesso. He's actually really good...and NO he didn't let up all those goals for team USA yesterday. Tucker Tynan did and then they brought in DC.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 4:03 p.m.
Short term answer is...I really think they want Flower. He is the reigning Vezina winner and Lanky will get extended for the medium term/long term. Is the super long term it's Lankinen and Commesso. He's actually really good...and NO he didn't let up all those goals for team USA yesterday. Tucker Tynan did and then they brought in DC.

Commesso still obviously has a ways to go, but I’m hesitant to call him the future mainly due to so so numbers at a top D1 school. Time will tell on that one obviously, but in the interim, moves like Jones and Johnson make me fear how the next three years will play out. I really wish we woulda stuck with youth honestly. But I know stan is saving his own ass before the assault charge gets him fired. I feel like the hawks don’t actually have as great a prospect pool as they think they do.
exo2769 liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 4:10 p.m.
exo2769
Commesso still obviously has a ways to go, but I’m hesitant to call him the future mainly due to so so numbers at a top D1 school. Time will tell on that one obviously, but in the interim, moves like Jones and Johnson make me fear how the next three years will play out. I really wish we woulda stuck with youth honestly. But I know stan is saving his own ass before the assault charge gets him fired. I feel like the hawks don’t actually have as great a prospect pool as they think they do.

I hear ya. The prospect pool isn't that deep, but they do supplement it well. All the Euro signings and guys like Hagel/Hardman. Stan's move with Pius Suter hurt the Hawks in the short term, BUT I really do think that will help the Hawks in the long term. Those Euro signings are all about life altering contracts for them. Stan understand that. Suter getting a $3.25M contract means he came to the Hawks...developed his NHL game and got $7M for it. That's life altering. I would not give Pius Suter $3.25M per year. Kubalik got $3.7 and scored 30 goals his rookie year, BUT to the point. Future Euro's are going to see that and see that continued steady stream of Euro's now making millions. Not like TOR did to Mikko Lehtonen. Signed the guy and made him ride the bench half the season.
HatterTParty liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 4:40 p.m.
I hear ya. The prospect pool isn't that deep, but they do supplement it well. All the Euro signings and guys like Hagel/Hardman. Stan's move with Pius Suter hurt the Hawks in the short term, BUT I really do think that will help the Hawks in the long term. Those Euro signings are all about life altering contracts for them. Stan understand that. Suter getting a $3.25M contract means he came to the Hawks...developed his NHL game and got $7M for it. That's life altering. I would not give Pius Suter $3.25M per year. Kubalik got $3.7 and scored 30 goals his rookie year, BUT to the point. Future Euro's are going to see that and see that continued steady stream of Euro's now making millions. Not like TOR did to Mikko Lehtonen. Signed the guy and made him ride the bench half the season.

That’s very fair. It’s a good way to look at the Suter situation. The only counter I have to that, then, is why we traded for Johnson instead of just giving Suter 3.25 for two years? Johnson is at 5.5(forgot for sure) for three more years. Isn’t there a logic to giving Suter that money and flipping him at the TDL down the line? I don’t know, too many ideas and it scares me that I don’t believe stan thinks clearly.
exo2769 liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 4:47 p.m.
exo2769
That’s very fair. It’s a good way to look at the Suter situation. The only counter I have to that, then, is why we traded for Johnson instead of just giving Suter 3.25 for two years? Johnson is at 5.5(forgot for sure) for three more years. Isn’t there a logic to giving Suter that money and flipping him at the TDL down the line? I don’t know, too many ideas and it scares me that I don’t believe stan thinks clearly.

Haha, yeah it's rough. He lies to us for SURE. I'm just not so sure that ALL GMs intentionally lie. I mean...look at the Kraken expansion? 100% of it was leaked before the draft. It's hard to be honest with people and fans about your direction. Everyone else tries to use it against you. Heck other sports too. I'm not a white sox fan, but Manny Machado was a huge leak and the entire deal feel through.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll