Forums/Armchair-GM

Optimistic

Created by: Shylo_Moxii
Team: 2021-22 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 29, 2021
Published: Jul. 29, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
BuT hE wAnTs A tRaDe iF hE hAd AnY tRaDe VaLuE sEaTtLe wOuLd HaVe TaKeN hIm.

Sorry that doesn't make sense to me, but whatever. Okay so losing Vince Dunn does a few things for this blues team. Open up some spots and let's us develop an upgrade. Scott Perunovich to me is a better Vince Dunn. I like Scott Perunovich a lot and I think he would be a great match with Mikkola.

HOPES: I am hoping Marco Scandella is gone I don't see the need for him when any three of Mikkola, Walman, and Perunovich can step up. Now Perunovich being left handed has always played on the right hand side in college which might help with lineups.

Calgary is almost in a retool stage. I've talked to some Calgary fans they wouldn't mind trading Gaudreau. I think I gave them a fair deal for a Rental contract of 1 year. I think this helps them stock up for next year's draft and they get a Sanford who should play pretty solid in the Top 6/Middle 6 of a Calgary team. Hofer I think could be a solid goaltender for the future, something that can be switched up obviously, but Hofer has had some very solid showing in camp.

Tarasenko trade. Armstrong has already said if he can't get a decent deal setup he's just gonna hold onto Tarasenko. Islanders most likely best case scenario you get him cheaper and honestly this deal is probably going to be something that happens after the first month or two of the season where you see his production go back up. That is the key. That's when his value shoots back up. You've seen times when Johnathan Drouin wanting to be traded out of Tampa, they hold onto him for a year then he gets traded to Montreal. Tarasenko could be the exact same thing. I know Islanders fans want him at a fleece rate, but it's not gonna happen with Armstrong sorry but not sorry.

As for the Bortuzzo deal he could go anywhere doesn't have to be Toronto. Most likely isn't Toronto anyway. I think a 4th-6th is a good rate for him. He's a solid stay at home defenseman which is something teams need, Vancouver would have been a prime spot for him, but they just picked up a bunch of contracts a couple dumb ones as well so doubtful he goes there.

Lineups:

A bit of shuffling around is probably a need. I don't know if Saad can be called a true 1st Line Forward, I'm not sure. I would think Johnny Hockey would send him down to a very solid second line of Saad-Schenn-Buchnevich. I think Klim Kostin steps up into a Sammy Blais role, and I know a lot of people aren't sold on him it's kind of a now or never situation with him, I think Thomas and Kyrou take significant steps into a role.

Defensively wise as I have said before Scandella Bortuzzo probably need to go. I'd love to see Mikkola-Perunovich as a pair just sounds like a match made in heaven, and you get Walman-Parayko and Krug-Faulk. It just sounds amazing in my head right now hearing it. I believe we stick to our guns running with Binnington and Husso. I know Husso had a bit of a rough year feel like he gonna do well though.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$2,500,000
2$3,000,000
2$1,525,000
2$800,000
Trades
STL
  1. Wilde, Bode
  2. 2022 1st round pick (NYI)
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Tarasenko, Vladimir ($2,000,000 retained)
CGY
  1. Hofer, Joel
  2. Sanford, Zachary
  3. 2022 1st round pick (STL)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (STL)
STL
  1. 2023 4th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,857,182$306,349$1,725,000$5,642,818
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 7
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 6
$3,275,000$3,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,300,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 29, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Edited Jul. 29, 2021 at 5:05 p.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Top LW would be Matthew Tkachuk at this point, and with how the Center role is, interestingly enough you won't even get close. Tell me how your team isn't in a retool. You see next year's free agency class. You guys have regressed over the past 2 years, and during yesterday Edmonton completely passed you up on the list for chances to push for playoff spots. Vancouver is on the edge as well but Seattle made a bunch of moves, and I'd bet they would do better than you guys at this very point as well. You have 12 Million in cap space to sign 5 quality players and a backup tendy. Kylington, Zadorov, Valimaki, Mackey, Dube, and Gawdin are all still neding to be re-signed. Zadorov's original ask was 5.9 Million and it just recently came down to 4 million. So that leaves about 8 Million to spend on a backup goaltender and 5 different players. Need I mention Flat cap. Tkachuk is going to get a raise, Gaudreau is going to want a raise, Mangiapane is going to want a raise, that also doesn't show you how much Monahan is gonna want in 2 years. 1st Round Pick, 3rd Round Pick, Middle 6 Forward (Played a ton of Top 6 minutes), and a quality Joel Hofer which can be switched in for someone else but Hofer is worth around probably a 2nd in terms of quality ceiling. On 1 year left on a deal. You won't get anything more for someone like this. If you want to look at players with similar production and on 1-year deals. Hall 50% retained, Lazar for 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork. 2022 1st Round Pick is better than a 2021 2nd Round Pick and I'm going to say a 3rd Round Pick, Hofer, and Sanford probably gets you more than Bjork. Plus you aren't giving up another piece like Lazar. So tell me how stupid I am when the market it set itself up that way. You really think I didn't read into it? Calgary won't have money to sign both Tkachuk and Gaudreau, and when Monahan is up in a couple of seasons from now.

I mean I was talking about how the move didn't feel like a "retool" move, rather it feels more like a "rebuild" move. If we move Gaudreau we'd have to find some way to find those goals and points and this trade simply leaves us with too much of a gap to bridge. So, we'd only consider a move like this if we were throwing in the towel and looking to the future.

And, well, we are retooling. Last year BT bet on some 800k contracts having breakout or bounce-back years and lost on all of those bets. This time around he's making more intentional additions that fit with a coach that has every intention of making this team competitive. The 6 year deal for Coleman is a retool move. Same goes for Zadorov.

We are in a tricky cap situation but until extensions start rolling in shipping out key difference makers is a complete mistake. Honestly, the player that's higher on the list of getting moved is Monahan given how well Lindholm fit into the centre position.

And, for the record, Gaudreau has 42 (edit: actually 52!) more points than Tarasenko in 11 less games and is 2 years younger. Tarasenko can be the difference maker that can swing games at times but his injury history leaves a lot to be desired.
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.
Edited Jul. 29, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Tkachuk is playing on the right wing currently, Edmonton didn't really improve, their defense is awful. Most of the prospects you named will be on either 2-way contracts or in the sub 1M deals. Calgary literally just traded for a backup goalie and according to Boston fans he is NHL ready but would have been claimed off waivers since they have Ullmark and Swayman.

At this point you are trying to justify why you want Calgary to trade the #1 player on their team to you, no thank you. We will keep him and resign him for 7-8M like the market puts him at. Flames definitely will have the money to sign all 3, look at Tampa, there are so many ways to move cap. Hell Lucic could just retire after his final signing bonus, if not he has a M-NTC and can be moved for cheap. Zadorov is probably only getting a 1 year deal.

The defense isn't awful tbh. Ceci had sustained numbers last year. Keith should be decent. Long shot if Lucic retires. Long shot that Kylington Valimaki get under 1 million but hell if they play like sh*t to you then sure have that day dream. Hell no way Mangiapane gets under a million. So good luck with that and have fun with Tkachuk getting 9+ Million dollars on a deal thinking you have a pipedream chance of winning a cup. It's not gonna happen with this set of players. I know Gaudreau is some god in Calgary. If you move on from him chances are you get lucky hit on some free agents that wouldn't happen if you signed Gaudreau to a 7 Million dollar contract and Tkachuk to a 9 Million or more contract.

Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
No but you could have started with "Ive done a lot of homework on the draft and I can promise you the 1st few rounds are very strong" instead of stating something that any sheeple could have repeated

If you want me to go into detail I can definitely do it, I've done it over the past 4 years.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: Treize131
I mean I was talking about how the move didn't feel like a "retool" move, rather it feels more like a "rebuild" move. If we move Gaudreau we'd have to find some way to find those goals and points and this trade simply leaves us with too much of a gap to bridge. So, we'd only consider a move like this if we were throwing in the towel and looking to the future.

And, well, we are retooling. Last year BT bet on some 800k contracts having breakout or bounce-back years and lost on all of those bets. This time around he's making more intentional additions that fit with a coach that has every intention of making this team competitive. The 6 year deal for Coleman is a retool move. Same goes for Zadorov.

We are in a tricky cap situation but until extensions start rolling in shipping out key difference makers is a complete mistake. Honestly, the player that's higher on the list of getting moved is Monahan given how well Lindholm fit into the centre position.

And, for the record, Gaudreau has 42 (edit: actually 52!) more points than Tarasenko in 11 less games and is 2 years younger. Tarasenko can be the difference maker that can swing games at times but his injury history leaves a lot to be desired.

Too much gap for this year, see Calgary has a lot options offseason. Calgary in my eyes could probably pull a Claude Giroux, Niederreiter, Zibanejad, Hertl, Forsberg, Barkov even. I really think a retool starts with offloading money. get you pick in the Top 10-15 Picks (STACKED) pull off a great player. You have players coming up who will be studs. We all know it. And you can sign some good players. I don't see how having 2 firsts in the 2022 1st Round is going to harm you with how well 2022 has performed over the past few years. Probably the best one since 2015. Optimistic as the name of it works perfectly Couturier or Trocheck could be one heck of the player in Calgary. I just think it's a pipedream to want an arm and a leg for a guy on a 1 year contract I just dont see it. Taylor Hall set the price tag on what I see as a trade and what most people see as a trade. Retooling doesn't mean you get a piece for a piece in that year. This could be one of the best things that Calgary could do. Reset and you look to hit some big market players in Free Agency.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 5:48 p.m.
I just think it's a pipedream to want an arm and a leg for a guy on a 1 year contract I just dont see it. Taylor Hall set the price tag on what I see as a trade and what most people see as a trade. Retooling doesn't mean you get a piece for a piece in that year. This could be one of the best things that Calgary could do. Reset and you look to hit some big market players in Free Agency.

I can see where you're coming from but from our side of things we're not, at this time, interested in moving Gaudreau; trade deadline rolls around and there's still no extension, maybe there are different conversations happening. Ultimately we are not under any pressure at the moment to ship him out.

And as far as free agency goes, I just don't agree with what you're proposing here. Relying on free agency to simply fill gaps is risky enough, waiting on next year's free agency to sign (edit: grammar) major pieces is way too risky because there are way too many moving targets when we're over a year out. Yes, some players right now may look like they won't get resigned next free agency but a lot is going to go down in the next year and some of those teams may find ways to keep those players.

Again, the Flames are in a "retool and try to win now" mode and we need to be adding to the roster, not subtracting and hope it works out.
Jul. 29, 2021 at 6:26 p.m.
The defense isn't awful tbh. Ceci had sustained numbers last year. Keith should be decent. Long shot if Lucic retires. Long shot that Kylington Valimaki get under 1 million but hell if they play like sh*t to you then sure have that day dream. Hell no way Mangiapane gets under a million. So good luck with that and have fun with Tkachuk getting 9+ Million dollars on a deal thinking you have a pipedream chance of winning a cup. It's not gonna happen with this set of players. I know Gaudreau is some god in Calgary. If you move on from him chances are you get lucky hit on some free agents that wouldn't happen if you signed Gaudreau to a 7 Million dollar contract and Tkachuk to a 9 Million or more contract.

If you want me to go into detail I can definitely do it, I've done it over the past 4 years.

I dont think its a longshot on Looch retiring, walking away from 1M for his family after a big signing bonus is completely reasonable. Again he is also quite tradable next summer too. Kylington literally played 8 games this year, he hasnt earned a raise, Valimaki hasn't proven he's worth more than his QO too. Gawdin played 7 games and is a future depth guy mostly, should be cheap. Mackey will play in stockton and be an injury call up. I never said Mange gets under 1M, probably 4-5. Tkachuk can be given as low as 7.68 if tue team decides to go to arbitration (likely will). Landy signing for 7 and Hall for 6 means Gaudreau wont get more above 8. Calgary can literally comfortably add Eichel right now and still resign everyone next year (assuming Monahan would go the other way)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll