Forums/Armchair-GM

Stop overpaying

Created by: JacobLyons
Team: 2021-22 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 1, 2021
Published: Aug. 1, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Buffalo will not get William Eklund. Buffalo will not get William Eklund. Buffalo will also not get William Eklund.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,750,000
Trades
SJS
    etc.
    SJS
    1. Eichel, Jack
    Additional Details:
    This is an underpay, but this is at least the basis.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$71,868,334$0$425,000$9,631,666
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,025,000$1,025,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,550,000$1,550,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $500,000$500,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $796,667$796,667
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,280,000$5,280,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $850,000$850,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 1, 2021 at 11:31 p.m.
    Eklund+ isn't an overpay for Eichel.

That's not even the basis. That's just horrible.
    Dcochy liked this.
    Aug. 1, 2021 at 11:31 p.m.
    Go Sharks
    Quoting: DongLord23
    Eklund+ isn't an overpay for Eichel.

That's not even the basis. That's just horrible.

Would you rather have William Eklund or Jack Eichel?
    Aug. 1, 2021 at 11:32 p.m.
    Quoting: JacobLyons
    Would you rather have William Eklund or Jack Eichel?

Jack Eichel is that even a question
    Dcochy liked this.
    Aug. 1, 2021 at 11:33 p.m.
    Go Sharks
    Jack Eichel is that even a question

I mean I’d rather have William Eklund. The Sharks can’t afford any more risks with big contracts.
    bunnymcfoo liked this.
    Aug. 1, 2021 at 11:36 p.m.
    I mean I’d rather have William Eklund. The Sharks can’t afford any more risks with big contracts.

Jack Eichel is a 24 year old top center. He's not some crappy 35 year old defenceman.
    Dcochy liked this.
    Aug. 1, 2021 at 11:40 p.m.
    I mean SJS not offering Eklund is fine but they’re probably not getting Eichel either. Don’t think any of it makes sense for either side honestly. Just the fact that Kane contract might get terminated which frees up cap space but outside of that is there any actual interest in this deal from a SJS perspective?
    FunMustBeAlways liked this.
    Aug. 1, 2021 at 11:43 p.m.
    Quoting: vikhodush
    I mean SJS not offering Eklund is fine but they’re probably not getting Eichel either. Don’t think any of it makes sense for either side honestly. Just the fact that Kane contract might get terminated which frees up cap space but outside of that is there any actual interest in this deal from a SJS perspective?

Not really - obliterating our prospect pool for a potentially injured Eichel wouldn’t be smart at all. And we’d simply just have way too many bloated contracts even if Eichel is worth his cap hit. I agree it doesn’t make any sense for either team.
    bunnymcfoo and JacobLyons liked this.
    Aug. 2, 2021 at 12:17 a.m.
    Quoting: FunMustBeAlways
    Not really - obliterating our prospect pool for a potentially injured Eichel wouldn’t be smart at all. And we’d simply just have way too many bloated contracts even if Eichel is worth his cap hit. I agree it doesn’t make any sense for either team.

"Obliterating" is a huge exaggeration. It's 2 prospects and a mid to late 1st for a top center for 5 more years.
    Aug. 2, 2021 at 12:51 a.m.
    oh how i suffer
    "Obliterating" is a huge exaggeration. It's 2 prospects and a mid to late 1st for a top center for 5 more years.

Bud, have you looked at our prospect pool? We have, like, two who are basically locks to play in the NHL and that's including Eklund. Also, the way the Sharks are built and playing, that 1st round pick isn't going to be a mid to late 1st round pick, not even if we did add Eichel.

He's not a player who makes any sense for San Jose, like, at all. He needs to go to a team that can afford to build around him and that's not us.
    Aug. 2, 2021 at 1:04 a.m.
    Quoting: bunnymcfoo
    Bud, have you looked at our prospect pool? We have, like, two who are basically locks to play in the NHL and that's including Eklund. Also, the way the Sharks are built and playing, that 1st round pick isn't going to be a mid to late 1st round pick, not even if we did add Eichel.

He's not a player who makes any sense for San Jose, like, at all. He needs to go to a team that can afford to build around him and that's not us.

Do you know who Jack Eichel is? He's a top center signed for 5 more years. You're getting rid of 2 prospects that may not even become good NHLers. Bordeleau might not even become a full time NHLer.

You're in a trash division. Sharks with Eichel are already contending for one of the spots. The pick would be in the teens at minimum.
    Aug. 2, 2021 at 1:37 a.m.
    Go Sharks
    Do you know who Jack Eichel is? He's a top center signed for 5 more years. You're getting rid of 2 prospects that may not even become good NHLers. Bordeleau might not even become a full time NHLer.
    You're in a trash division. Sharks with Eichel are already contending for one of the spots. The pick would be in the teens at minimum.

I’m completely aware of who Jack Eichel is, he’s an elite elite player who is about to get a surgery that could help him, it could hurt him. He’s also making 10 million dollars for a reason. He’s elite. But if you think the Sharks are going to part ways with someone who can be a generational talent who’s still 18 and coming into a system that greatly help people in his situation, it’s just not happening.
    Aug. 2, 2021 at 1:46 a.m.
    oh how i suffer

No, I crawled out from the primordial ooze two days ago and randomly decided to come on a website dedicated to hockey and have opinions about a player I've never heard of before.

You don't watch a lot of Sharks hockey, do you? Our defense is trash, we have no idea how either of our goalies are going to perform behind it since they're both new (and at least one of them is coming to us from a team that actually had, you know, good defensemen, so playing behind Burns, EK64, and Vlasic is going to be an adjustment to say the least) and we've got three whole good, reliable forwards - one of whom would have his contract go poof in this scenario. We're in a trash division, sure, but we already know what happens when you drop Eichel onto a trash team and it ain't pretty. And we wouldn't be able to build around him thanks to our cap situation and our godawful terrible contracts, both of which would keep quality players out of our signing ability. Oh, and as I said: our prospect pool is mighty shallow, so there's no building around him that way either.

I'm fully aware that in a perfect world Eichel would be a great add for literally any team, but this isn't a perfect world and he's a terrible fit for the Sharks at this point in time.
    Aug. 2, 2021 at 2:04 a.m.
    I’m completely aware of who Jack Eichel is, he’s an elite elite player who is about to get a surgery that could help him, it could hurt him. He’s also making 10 million dollars for a reason. He’s elite. But if you think the Sharks are going to part ways with someone who can be a generational talent who’s still 18 and coming into a system that greatly help people in his situation, it’s just not happening.

a GENERATIONAL TALENT? Man you're just extremely overrating your prospects.
    Aug. 2, 2021 at 2:12 a.m.
    Quoting: bunnymcfoo
    No, I crawled out from the primordial ooze two days ago and randomly decided to come on a website dedicated to hockey and have opinions about a player I've never heard of before.

You don't watch a lot of Sharks hockey, do you? Our defense is trash, we have no idea how either of our goalies are going to perform behind it since they're both new (and at least one of them is coming to us from a team that actually had, you know, good defensemen, so playing behind Burns, EK64, and Vlasic is going to be an adjustment to say the least) and we've got three whole good, reliable forwards - one of whom would have his contract go poof in this scenario. We're in a trash division, sure, but we already know what happens when you drop Eichel onto a trash team and it ain't pretty. And we wouldn't be able to build around him thanks to our cap situation and our godawful terrible contracts, both of which would keep quality players out of our signing ability. Oh, and as I said: our prospect pool is mighty shallow, so there's no building around him that way either.

I'm fully aware that in a perfect world Eichel would be a great add for literally any team, but this isn't a perfect world and he's a terrible fit for the Sharks at this point in time.

You know what helps your defense out? Getting a franchise center. Literally the hardest piece of the puzzle to get. He's signed for 5 more years too. I think it's laughable that you might have an opportunity to get one for only 2 prospects and 1 pick and you'd turn that down. Your team is going to have those bad contracts no matter what. Why not try and win some games? You can always move around contracts to resign your players.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll