SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Edmonton Oilers

Are the Oilers better the same or worse with poll

Are the Oilers better, the same, or worse?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 3, 2021 at 8:05 p.m.
CapFriendly Bot: Thread moved to appropriate forum
Aug. 3, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.
Well They’re definitely not the same, so that narrows it down.

I put better just because of my overwhelming bias and optimism, but if I were to actually put money on it… aw hell…I’d still bet they’d be better and just lose all my money.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
The Oilers forward group is probably top 5 in the league, it is really good but that defense is so suspect. I just worry putting all that hope on Keith and Ceci as being a shut down pair. I think Larsson is so much better than Ceci and he is a big loss for you guys. Your goaltending would probably be classified as league average. Smith had an excellent season last year but I don't think you should expect him to be as dominant and Koskinen will likely bounce back a bit and be a little bit better. I just don't think you can go all the way with that D-core.
SadlyAnOilFan liked this.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
Goal is the same, I think Smith will be hard pressed to put up similar numbers for 2 reasons. Better competition than the Oilers faced last year and he will likely get hurt again given his injury history. The defence isn’t good enough, don’t think Keith will be that good. Forward group is a bit better. Overall I say not as good as they finished last year because their schedule will be much harder.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.
They got better but failed to improve where they needed it the most. Goals against. Smith and Koskinen are not the answer. Smith played great last year but he can't get more than a round or two. Does anyone think they are cup contenders. Not a chance. They could also use an upgrade on defence
Aug. 3, 2021 at 9:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BallPuckFellow10
The Oilers forward group is probably top 5 in the league, it is really good but that defense is so suspect. I just worry putting all that hope on Keith and Ceci as being a shut down pair. I think Larsson is so much better than Ceci and he is a big loss for you guys. Your goaltending would probably be classified as league average. Smith had an excellent season last year but I don't think you should expect him to be as dominant and Koskinen will likely bounce back a bit and be a little bit better. I just don't think you can go all the way with that D-core.

They have the best player, a top 10-15 player in Draisaitl and a couple of other players up front. And then nothing. Their forward depth is still paper thin and their defence is terrible. Not to mention their goaltending is highly suspect. If anyone thinks Smith is going to be lights out for the next 2 years is dreaming.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 9:15 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
They have the best player, a top 10-15 player in Draisaitl and a couple of other players up front. And then nothing. Their forward depth is still paper thin and their defence is terrible. Not to mention their goaltending is highly suspect. If anyone thinks Smith is going to be lights out for the next 2 years is dreaming.

Couple other playesr? RNH, Hyman, Puljujärvi, Yamamoto, Foegele, Kassian, Ryan is a really solid Top 9. If you don't think that you are dreaming. I don't think anybody thinks that Smith is going to be lights out, but he aint gonna be no AHL level goaltender either. If healthy goaltending isn't their biggest problem. It is that terrible d-core.
oilersguy and CD282 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 9:51 p.m.
Couple other playesr? RNH, Hyman, Puljujärvi, Yamamoto, Foegele, Kassian, Ryan is a really solid Top 9. If you don't think that you are dreaming. I don't think anybody thinks that Smith is going to be lights out, but he aint gonna be no AHL level goaltender either. If healthy goaltending isn't their biggest problem. It is that terrible d-core.

I would reserve judgment on the Defense just yet. Ceci has been on an upward trajectory, and the wild card here is Bouchard as he might turn into a top 4 defenceman this coming year.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 10:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Chayos
I would reserve judgment on the Defense just yet. Ceci has been on an upward trajectory, and the wild card here is Bouchard as he might turn into a top 4 defenceman this coming year.

Ceci on an upward trend? Good luck
Aug. 3, 2021 at 10:15 p.m.
Ouch
They are obviously better. Anyone that thinks they aren't needs to start watching hockey. They added a legit top 6 forward, whom is the exact type of player that has been argued McDavid needs to really take it to the next level. They added that coveted right hand depth center who is a career 55% faceoff man plus can be relied on for the pk. Warren Fogele is another huge upgrade for the bottom six, pk. No additions on the RW but Yamo and JP are going to be a year older with that much more experience and development. LW subtractions kahun, Neal, Ennis / additions Hyman, Fogele = significant upgrade. Center subtractions Hass, JJ Karia / additions Ryan = significant upgrade. RW loss of chassion, no real difference, still just as deep. Keith is an obvious upgrade from any LHD that was there last year, koekoe, Russel, Jones, Kulikov, Laggeson. A full year of Bouchard, Ceci will be better offensively the Bear and Larsson, Larsson D will be missed, but it's not like he won games for the Oilers, with the significant upgrade with the Oilers forwards they we will be a harder team to play 5v5 then they were last year without Larsson.and don't forget about the plethora of other players and prospects who could all step up Benson, McLeod, Marody, Broberg, Holloway, even Turris is likely to have a better year this year then last. The only goaltending was not upgraded. There is a very good chance Smith regresses, but an almost equal chance Koskinen has a better year. The goaltending remained average. Also, for all the people who loved ripping on the Canadian division, the Oilers were a playoff team in every division except the one, and it was against teams they will play 2-3 times next year. Not to mention the Pacific Division is probably weaker then the Canadian division. Oilers are 100% team as it stands now. With months until the deadline to upgrade the goaltending and so called weak D core. Haters gonna hate but this team is a top 10 team league wide.
oilersguy and CD282 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 10:19 p.m.
Ouch
Ceci on an upward trend? Good luck

According to pens fans and stats he is.
oilersguy liked this.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
Banned

RNH is pretty good and Hyman will be not bad for a couple of years but beyond your top 4 forwards, your talent falls off big time
Aug. 3, 2021 at 10:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: JmoneyTalk
They are obviously better. Anyone that thinks they aren't needs to start watching hockey. They added a legit top 6 forward, whom is the exact type of player that has been argued McDavid needs to really take it to the next level. They added that coveted right hand depth center who is a career 55% faceoff man plus can be relied on for the pk. Warren Fogele is another huge upgrade for the bottom six, pk. No additions on the RW but Yamo and JP are going to be a year older with that much more experience and development. LW subtractions kahun, Neal, Ennis / additions Hyman, Fogele = significant upgrade. Center subtractions Hass, JJ Karia / additions Ryan = significant upgrade. RW loss of chassion, no real difference, still just as deep. Keith is an obvious upgrade from any LHD that was there last year, koekoe, Russel, Jones, Kulikov, Laggeson. A full year of Bouchard, Ceci will be better offensively the Bear and Larsson, Larsson D will be missed, but it's not like he won games for the Oilers, with the significant upgrade with the Oilers forwards they we will be a harder team to play 5v5 then they were last year without Larsson.and don't forget about the plethora of other players and prospects who could all step up Benson, McLeod, Marody, Broberg, Holloway, even Turris is likely to have a better year this year then last. The only goaltending was not upgraded. There is a very good chance Smith regresses, but an almost equal chance Koskinen has a better year. The goaltending remained average. Also, for all the people who loved ripping on the Canadian division, the Oilers were a playoff team in every division except the one, and it was against teams they will play 2-3 times next year. Not to mention the Pacific Division is probably weaker then the Canadian division. Oilers are 100% team as it stands now. With months until the deadline to upgrade the goaltending and so called weak D core. Haters gonna hate but this team is a top 10 team league wide.

All wishful thinking. The team will go as far as McDavid can take them. They are the same team as last year. You'll live and die on him and Draisaitl scoring 3-4 points a night.
ricochetii liked this.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 10:32 p.m.
Banned
According to pens fans and stats he is.

Once again good luck. He's going to be exposed in Edmonton
Aug. 3, 2021 at 10:47 p.m.
Ouch
All wishful thinking. The team will go as far as McDavid can take them. They are the same team as last year. You'll live and die on him and Draisaitl scoring 3-4 points a night.

Nobody takes you seriously
CD282 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 11:00 p.m.
Banned
Nobody takes you seriously

I have been right about the Oilers for the past 4 years. They are no better than before and their cap is terrible.
Aug. 3, 2021 at 11:39 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Oilers were below league average in expected GF and GA last year at even strength. For comparison, they had 5 players over 20 points at 5v5. Winnipeg had 9.

Foegele and Donato should help with contributions from the bottom 6, but I don't see much more even strength production coming from the D, and the goaltending has remained stagnant. Smith went past round 1 once a decade ago. Neither goalie has won a playoff series since, and Smith is 1-9 in his last 10 appearances.

Sure, the top 6 is better, but they were holding their own relatively anyway. If they have to be twice as good to carry the rest of the roster, that's not a recipe for success.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 8:39 a.m.

Oilers are starting to remind me of the Leafs last season and in the 2019-20 season. Stacked on the top 6, but below average on the third/fourth line. After watching the Leafs, what makes you think Ceci and Barrie are any good? The reason why Ceci was alright with the Penguins is due to the organization sheltering him. Playing above the third pair is asking for trouble. Don't even get me started on that goalie tandem
Aug. 4, 2021 at 10:57 a.m.
Pistol Pete
RNH is pretty good and Hyman will be not bad for a couple of years but beyond your top 4 forwards, your talent falls off big time

How did tampa win in the playoffs? Goodrow, Gourde, and coleman on their 3rd line. Edmonton is trying to do something like that and Foegele, Ryan, and kassian are that type of line.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
Bedard23
Definitely worse
Aug. 4, 2021 at 10:59 a.m.
Pistol Pete
Quoting: MrDinkiee
Oilers are starting to remind me of the Leafs last season and in the 2019-20 season. Stacked on the top 6, but below average on the third/fourth line. After watching the Leafs, what makes you think Ceci and Barrie are any good? The reason why Ceci was alright with the Penguins is due to the organization sheltering him. Playing above the third pair is asking for trouble. Don't even get me started on that goalie tandem

They are hoping Bouchard is playing second pair by mid season. Ceci was the best they could get.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Zmach
How did tampa win in the playoffs? Goodrow, Gourde, and coleman on their 3rd line. Edmonton is trying to do something like that and Foegele, Ryan, and kassian are that type of line.

None of who are remotely close to the level of the 3 Tampa players.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
Simpleton
The additions of Hyman, Foegele, and Ryan offers potential for more balance on the top line, as well as a much improved bottom six. Each of those players possesses strong 5v5 numbers, and each has demonstrated success playing on special teams. Combine that with the potential of prospects like Tyler Benson and Dylan Holloway, and it becomes ridiculous to suggest that Jujhar Khaira, James Neal, Tyler Ennis, Geatan Haas, Joakim Nygard, and Alex Chiasson were a better unit that what Oiler fans have to look forward to. Edmonton's forward group has improved via both addition and subtraction.

A lot has been said regarding the Duncan Keith trade, the most astute criticisms are likely restricted to concerns about salary retention. Keith is still an excellent skater, and a great leader. He still has the ability to get to the puck and get it to the forwards effectively. His role with the Oilers replaces the role played by the collection of Caleb Jones, Slater Koekkoek, Dmitry Kulikov, Kris Russell, and William Lagesson. Give that a moment to sink in and reason should tell you there is certainly potential the Oilers have improved their defense with that single acquisition. When Adam Larsson chose to sign with Seattle, Edmonton was forced to retool its defense. Cody Ceci is not expected to replace Larsson, he is expected to compliment Duncan Keith and Evan Bouchard. Tyson Barrie and Darnell Nurse, are known commodities, and Bouchard has potential to quickly surpass what Ethan Bear provided on the ice. The Oilers also have younger, bigger, stronger, better skating, and better passing LHD prospects ready to push Kris Russell and William Lagesson. If one, or both of those prospects pushes their way onto the roster, the unit have more size, greater mobility, and will likely be much more effective at getting the puck out of the d-zone. Time will tell if that extra size helps the team to be more effective in stopping the cycle and boxing out opponents, but when I consider who has been added, who is available to be added, and who has been lost, I think Adam Larsson might be missed for a while, but overall the unit should be better because all other additions have more skill and ability than those they replace. Time will tell whether I am being overly optimistic.

In net, the Oilers are going to have to run with the same duo they had last year. Lots of questions here. Mike Smith has been streaky throughout his career, but after changing his offseason routine he had a great 2020/21 season and his stats put him among the top-5 goaltenders in the league. Koskinen suffered inconsistencies again, and when he is bad he is simply horrible. Those rough spots skew what are otherwise good stats. He's in a contract year, so maybe he will have some extra motivation. Perhaps that, along with a healthy Mike Smith, might help Koskinen have a better year. if he doesn't come out of the gates at the top of his game, I expect Ken Holland will be looking for an opportunity to upgrade ASAP.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
Pistol Pete
None of who are remotely close to the level of the 3 Tampa players.

What do you think Goodrow is some sort of God? Foegele has better stats, the same body and very fast. Kassian is also capable of getting in on the forecheck and scoring. Those wingers can absolutely do the same thing they score garbage goals and get in on the forecheck.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Zmach
What do you think Goodrow is some sort of God? Foegele has better stats, the same body and very fast. Kassian is also capable of getting in on the forecheck and scoring. Those wingers can absolutely do the same thing they score garbage goals and get in on the forecheck.

Kassian is barely an NHL player. Foegele is nothing special and Ryan is a 4th liner. Together they are a average at best 4th line.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit