SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Victor Mete (1 Year / $1,200,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 4, 2021 at 5:05 p.m.
Victor Mete has signed a new contract with the Ottawa Senators.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Pierre Dorion
Length: 1 year
Value: $1,200,000
Expiry Status: UFA (No QO)
Cap % Tooltip: 1.47
Signing Team: Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
Signing Date: Aug. 4, 2021
Source: CapFriendly

Victor Mete signed a 1 year, $1,200,000 contract with the Ottawa Senators on Aug. 4, 2021. The contract has a cap hit of $1,200,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2021-22$1,200,000$1,200,000$0$0$1,200,000$1,200,000$1,200,000
TOTAL$1,200,000$1,200,000$0$0$1,200,000$1,200,000$1,200,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $1,200,000
Arbitration Requested Icon ARBITRATION: This contract was signed following an arbitration filing
Aug. 4, 2021 at 5:12 p.m.
sensonfire
Mete played decently after we claimed him off waivers from Montreal.

He has allowed the team to avoid salary arbitration with a rather modest extension and to focus on other priorities for the offseason.

This is a good signing IMO smile
OldNYIfan, capfriendlyaccount, Wqrrior and 4 others liked this.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 5:26 p.m.
Personally had him at 1.25×2, but I totally get why one year makes sense for both sides.

I was a big fan of what he brought to the table for Ottawa this year. Not super dangerous offensively, but very effective at keeping the puck in the O-zone and allowing the offensive possession to continue. He was excellent in moving the puck in transition, and despite being small he was very effective in his positional defending, able to angle off plays and retrieve pucks efficiently.

I imagine he's currently slotting in as the 3rd pair LD, with Holden playing the off side. I think ideally it would shake out where Zub and Holden play top 4 on the right side and Zaitsev would fall to playing 3rd Pair with Mete, but that's not terribly realistic.

It does continue to bring into question Brannstrom's standing in the Organization. The Sens now have 7 D on one way deals (Chabot, Zub, Mete, Holden, Zaitsev, Del Zotto, Brown), which makes his path to the NHL very murky this year. I believe he is still able to skip waivers, but to my eye he's at worst a regular NHL player, and I just don't see how more AHL time helps him at this stage.
sensonfire, OldNYIfan, capfriendlyaccount and 5 others liked this.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 5:40 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Personally had him at 1.25×2, but I totally get why one year makes sense for both sides.

I was a big fan of what he brought to the table for Ottawa this year. Not super dangerous offensively, but very effective at keeping the puck in the O-zone and allowing the offensive possession to continue. He was excellent in moving the puck in transition, and despite being small he was very effective in his positional defending, able to angle off plays and retrieve pucks efficiently.

I imagine he's currently slotting in as the 3rd pair LD, with Holden playing the off side. I think ideally it would shake out where Zub and Holden play top 4 on the right side and Zaitsev would fall to playing 3rd Pair with Mete, but that's not terribly realistic.

It does continue to bring into question Brannstrom's standing in the Organization. The Sens now have 7 D on one way deals (Chabot, Zub, Mete, Holden, Zaitsev, Del Zotto, Brown), which makes his path to the NHL very murky this year. I believe he is still able to skip waivers, but to my eye he's at worst a regular NHL player, and I just don't see how more AHL time helps him at this stage.

Brannstrom's standing in the organization makes the value we got from the Mark Stone trade all the more precarious.

Although it's water under the bridge, it's starting to become a bit unfortunate looking back at it frown

We now have Chabot, Brannstrom, Holden, Mete, Del Zotto, Sanderson, Kleven and Tychonick as our entire collection of left-handed D that have some NHL potential.

That's a lot.

Somebody's going to have to be moved out.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 5:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: sensonfire
Brannstrom's standing in the organization makes the value we got from the Mark Stone trade all the more precarious.

Although it's water under the bridge, it's starting to become a bit unfortunate looking back at it frown

We now have Chabot, Brannstrom, Holden, Mete, Del Zotto, Sanderson, Kleven and Tychonick as our entire collection of left-handed D that have some NHL potential.

That's a lot.

Because DJ Smith be the coach got a feeling we wont see a lot of Brannstrom
sensonfire and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 6:03 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
This is a good depth signing for the Senators. Because of the amount and term, I think this is as close to a "perfect" signing for both sides as you can get.
sensonfire liked this.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.

That's a lot.

Brannstrom could start in Belleville in theory, but I can't see how he really benefits from it. I just don't see a scenario where he spends another year in Belleville, then ends up in a full time NHL role in Ottawa next year.

I'm really starting to think they could make a push for Eichel. They're certainly well positioned to do it.
sensonfire liked this.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 7:17 p.m.
Mete played decently after we claimed him off waivers from Montreal.

He has allowed the team to avoid salary arbitration with a rather modest extension and to focus on other priorities for the offseason.

This is a good signing IMO smile

Fringe player taking up 30% of Melnyk's budget for next season.

"I voted no"
Aug. 4, 2021 at 7:19 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Brannstrom could start in Belleville in theory, but I can't see how he really benefits from it. I just don't see a scenario where he spends another year in Belleville, then ends up in a full time NHL role in Ottawa next year.

I'm really starting to think they could make a push for Eichel. They're certainly well positioned to do it.

Brannstrom for Eichel?

Is that what I'm hearing?
Aug. 4, 2021 at 7:29 p.m.
I liked Metes fit in Ottawa, he can play in any situation. nice signing.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 7:35 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
Brannstrom for Eichel?

Is that what I'm hearing?

I think he'd make a lot of sense as one of the pieces. He's only 21, and there's a lot of upside there. Plus he has a lot of history with Rasmus Dahlin, which always seems to play in the NHL. always want to keep your stars happy. Gotta think he'd be one of the more appealing targets, as from everything I've seen, teams don't seem willing to part with the true top tier prospects in Eichel talks. Sens would be able to build a robust package of futures beyond that as well.
DwightSens liked this.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 7:49 p.m.
Good deal, loved him in Montreal, wish him the best

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit