Created by: sensibleguy
Team: 2021-22 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 4, 2021
Published: Aug. 4, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Edmonton trade from
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2693664

Arizona trade is a placeholder, these are the main pieces and the only NHL pieces, subject to balancers with picks/prospects. If you say no or pass, you didn't read the description or ignored it for some reason. If you don't like the player, just say that please. If you have an idea for balancers, post it, I haven't even tried to decide on balancers yet, or even which way. Middle6 centre for a middle pair defender, age differences, experience differences, I haven't really gone into it enough to figure the balancers, but the main pieces work, IMO.

Palmieri got the Dadonov contract, but is a year younger at signing than Dadonov was.

Prospects transitioning in during 21/22;
Pinto will replace Tierney (who should get traded)
Sokolov will bump Kelly
Lavoie will bump Watson
JBD will bump JBrown (who might get traded)
Sanderson will bump Holden (who might get traded)

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Stützle Dvorak Palmieri
Formenton Pinto White
Sokolov Paul Lavoie/Watson

Chabot Zaitsev
Sanderson Zub
MDZ JBD

Murray
Koskinen
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,000,000
1$800,000
1$1,000,000
2$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,000,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
  2. Lavoie, Raphael
  3. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2023 4th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$69,548,417$0$3,457,500$11,951,583
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$749,250$749,250
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$726,667$726,667
LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 4, 2021 at 7:50 p.m.
Mete is gonna play. Idk which of MDZ/Holden/Brown sits (definitely not the one they just signed 2×2), but Mete will be a regular. For what it's worth, Garrioch mentioned in his article about the signing that the expectation is that he will play top 4. Now that sounds crazy to me, but Garrioch wouldn't write that if he didn't have some inclination that would be the case.

Also I'm sure I've made my opinions about trading Connor Brown abundantly clear, but I really don't understand why, if Ottawa were to make a move like that why they wouldn't parlay that return into a bigger move. Lavoie could be a useful middle six guy in the future I suppose, but if Ottawa were to happen upon a shiny new 1st round pick, it seems like it makes a lot of sense to package it in an Eichel type move. Being able to get eichel and keep their own 1st would be huge W, given how hard pressed Ottawa will be to make the playoffs this year, especially if Eichel misses time.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Palmeri has a deal done with New York. Supposedly Lou is being Lou and holding off his signings so other teams Don't know what kind of cap space they're working with.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 8:05 p.m.
sensonfire
A goalie tandem of Matt Murray and Mikko Koskinen would be a goal fest for the other team smile
Aug. 4, 2021 at 8:26 p.m.
the oilers wouldnt do that, they wont trade a second alone to get rid of koskinen so asking for a first and lavoi is a big no, never gonna happen
Aug. 4, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
Quoting: OwenMd05
the oilers wouldnt do that, they wont trade a second alone to get rid of koskinen so asking for a first and lavoi is a big no, never gonna happen

connor brown is also going the other way
Aug. 4, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
Quoting: Borocop

not worth connor brown tho, the oilers dont need connor brown hed slot in on the fourth line and hes not a fourth liner
Aug. 4, 2021 at 8:47 p.m.
Bedard23

Connor Brown was on pace for 35 goals this season how could you not want him
Borocop, sensonfire, TheBoyDuddus and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 4, 2021 at 8:48 p.m.
Bedard23
Too bad Toronto wasted him
Aug. 4, 2021 at 9:31 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
not worth connor brown tho, the oilers dont need connor brown hed slot in on the fourth line and hes not a fourth liner

hes better than yamamoto right now hed be their second, and arguably their best RW on roster. Obviously doesnt have the future of yamamoto and JPP but right now hes better, would push kassian down to an actual useful role in the bottom 6 too, dont really think theres no fit
Aug. 4, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk

because we dont need him on the 4th line, he wouldnt slot in anywhere and then wed have to pay him, we dont have the money to be paying him especially since hes gonna be paid more than a 4th liner
Aug. 4, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
hes better than yamamoto right now hed be their second, and arguably their best RW on roster. Obviously doesnt have the future of yamamoto and JPP but right now hes better, would push kassian down to an actual useful role in the bottom 6 too, dont really think theres no fit

oilers dont have the money to pay him comapred to what they are gona pay jesse and yamo combined they dot need him
Aug. 4, 2021 at 9:58 p.m.
Bedard23
because we dont need him on the 4th line, he wouldnt slot in anywhere and then wed have to pay him, we dont have the money to be paying him especially since hes gonna be paid more than a 4th liner

He’d slot in on the top line
Aug. 4, 2021 at 10:36 p.m.
Brown is likely a middle six winger in Edmonton which right now could cause a complication on possibly causing benson to be a waiver casualty. Yes of course he would upgrade the forward depth but does a middle six winger justify downgrading kosk to forsberg absolutely not since the back up still plays the starter position 25-40% of games. Given smiths age that is a too much of a risky gamble that’s just setting aside the prospects and picks. Value I can understand but on ice product oilers have to decline this a million times over
Aug. 5, 2021 at 1:36 a.m.
Serf

I'm thinking that maybe not everyone read the other thread, but to explain a bit, the Koskinen portion was gaining cap space for Brown, and that part was Koskinen and a 4th for Forsberg.

Brown isn't ending up on the 4th line. Look at the other thread for lineup clarification on Edmonton's end.

Too bad Toronto wasted him

The cap space comes from moving Koskinen, since Smith is the number 1.

oilers dont have the money to pay him comapred to what they are gona pay jesse and yamo combined they dot need him

He’d slot in on the top line

Quoting: Timmah007
Brown is likely a middle six winger in Edmonton which right now could cause a complication on possibly causing benson to be a waiver casualty. Yes of course he would upgrade the forward depth but does a middle six winger justify downgrading kosk to forsberg absolutely not since the back up still plays the starter position 25-40% of games. Given smiths age that is a too much of a risky gamble that’s just setting aside the prospects and picks. Value I can understand but on ice product oilers have to decline this a million times over

Brown is an all situations forward. He makes your 5v5 better, your PK better, and can even slot into the second PP. He's a late game, hold a lead forward. He a jack of all trades forward.

Lavoie doesn't affect the current run, and Brown is getting a 1st plus prospect at some point.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 1:51 a.m.
Serf
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Mete is gonna play. Idk which of MDZ/Holden/Brown sits (definitely not the one they just signed 2×2), but Mete will be a regular. For what it's worth, Garrioch mentioned in his article about the signing that the expectation is that he will play top 4. Now that sounds crazy to me, but Garrioch wouldn't write that if he didn't have some inclination that would be the case.

Also I'm sure I've made my opinions about trading Connor Brown abundantly clear, but I really don't understand why, if Ottawa were to make a move like that why they wouldn't parlay that return into a bigger move. Lavoie could be a useful middle six guy in the future I suppose, but if Ottawa were to happen upon a shiny new 1st round pick, it seems like it makes a lot of sense to package it in an Eichel type move. Being able to get eichel and keep their own 1st would be huge W, given how hard pressed Ottawa will be to make the playoffs this year, especially if Eichel misses time.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Palmeri has a deal done with New York. Supposedly Lou is being Lou and holding off his signings so other teams Don't know what kind of cap space they're working with.

I admit I don't read all of Garrioch's columns, but I follow his tweets. I hadn't seen anything about Mete playing top4. It's curious though, because when Chabot went down, Brannstrom immediately went to the top pair, but was replaced by Mete. They ended up with nearly identical even toi for the games Chabot was out. I agree MDZ is dressing, and unless Brannstrom ends up in Belleville, he's dressing. So with Chabot, Zaitsev, and Zub, that's 5/6, unless they go 11/7. I called Mete, Holden, and Brown the three headed monster for that 6th spot earlier tonight, responding to simmer. If it's Mete, that's fine, but DJ likes his size on D. As long as there are 9D, it's all speculation though. I still think Brannstrom is being traded (Dvorak or Strome).

lol Lou
Aug. 5, 2021 at 2:23 a.m.
Serf
@Claesson4Norris

So I wanted to address Connor Brown in a separate post.

I like Connor Brown, almost as much as I liked Clarke MacArthur. Thay are similar in some ways, but very different in others. I like that meat and potatoes forward, the guys who get it done without being flashy. That said, now is the time to trade him. His value will never be higher, and there's an old saying, it's better to trade a player away a year too early than a year too late. If Brown repeats his production this coming season, so what? The sens aren't competing seriously this year. I'm not suggesting they would or should tank, they should try to make the playoffs. It's just that, Brown needs to continue repeating this past year at least twice more to mean anything for Ottawa's window of serious contention.

He's making $4MM now, was this the plan all along, to trade him before the final year of the contract? Is he going to sign another extension after this contract if he's not traded? What will that contract look like? Connor Brown might begin the year as a senator, but there's really little guarantee he ends the season a Senator. I'd like to capitalize on that early, before the value of 1st round picks go up as these draft eligible prospects begin to showcase themselves at the WJC.

Anyway, this is all just fun speculation, and I always appreciate your comments, even when we disagree.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 3:23 a.m.
Quoting: sensibleguy
I admit I don't read all of Garrioch's columns, but I follow his tweets. I hadn't seen anything about Mete playing top4. It's curious though, because when Chabot went down, Brannstrom immediately went to the top pair, but was replaced by Mete. They ended up with nearly identical even toi for the games Chabot was out. I agree MDZ is dressing, and unless Brannstrom ends up in Belleville, he's dressing. So with Chabot, Zaitsev, and Zub, that's 5/6, unless they go 11/7. I called Mete, Holden, and Brown the three headed monster for that 6th spot earlier tonight, responding to simmer. If it's Mete, that's fine, but DJ likes his size on D. As long as there are 9D, it's all speculation though. I still think Brannstrom is being traded (Dvorak or Strome).

lol Lou

It might be splitting hairs, but technically I think Mete was on the top Pair once Chabot went down. He was the one playing more minutes generally (was north of 23:30 in 4 of the final 5 games, which Brannstrom only did once), and he was the one playing with Zaitsev who was easily DJ's most heavily leaned on RD last year. He was playing against tougher competition, and was even used pretty heavily on the PK, though that may have been out of necessity rather than preference.

It's honestly not surprising to me that if they decided they can't run with two smaller guys going forward that they could choose Mete. He doesn't have nearly as much upside, but he's more capable if being relied on in defensive situations, he's better at evading/absorbing hits and he's a wildly better skater. He's also worth a LOT less as a trade piece relative to his on ice value, and if they never see Brannstrom playing his off side, Mete makes a lot more sense as 3rd pair once Sanderson is in the show.

How I imagine things will shake out is it will be Chabot-Zaitsev obviously, MDZ with Zub hoping for Mike Reilly 2.0, and Mete with Holden or Brown, ideally Holden. Though if it's true that the Sens expect Mete to start in the top 4, what I would like to see is Chabot with Zub as he's our best RD by a sizable margin, and putting Mete with Zaitsev. The two played quite well together down the stretch (I thought it was some of the best hockey he's played as a Senator), and I think if you can get Zaitsev's minutes down closer to 20 from the nearly 23 he was averaging this year he'd be much more effective.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 6:55 a.m.
Cole Harbour Boy

I have no idea what you're talking about. He'd immediately be an upgrade on every RW we have and slot next to his old Junior teammate , a guy by the name of Connor Mcdavid. Hed probably score 40+ . Id do that trade in a heartbeat. In fact i did do that exact trade lmao
Aug. 5, 2021 at 7:26 a.m.
I'm thinking that maybe not everyone read the other thread, but to explain a bit, the Koskinen portion was gaining cap space for Brown, and that part was Koskinen and a 4th for Forsberg.

Brown isn't ending up on the 4th line. Look at the other thread for lineup clarification on Edmonton's end.

The cap space comes from moving Koskinen, since Smith is the number 1.

Brown is an all situations forward. He makes your 5v5 better, your PK better, and can even slot into the second PP. He's a late game, hold a lead forward. He a jack of all trades forward.

Lavoie doesn't affect the current run, and Brown is getting a 1st plus prospect at some point.

Oilers have those Jack of all trades jp archibald nuge Hyman. Pp is best in the league. Pk has been excellent. All the areas in which brown could be very nice add in aren’t areas of need. Goaltending is the biggest question mark right now for Edmonton they just can’t afford to take that chance downgrading from kosk who they have been actively looking to upgrade on. Last year smith got hurt before the season started given his age that’s not surprising that happens again will they be ok saying forsberg is the guy to carry the expectations that are on this team? I certainly don’t think that’s a wise choice. It’s nothing against brown I certainly believe can get that type of return just the trade purposed here doesn’t fit with Edmonton’s current situation. One team I could see being a good fit for such a trade is jersey they could use a couple Jack of all trades to complement the depth they have at centre likely won’t need to take back any poison pill.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 8:53 a.m.
I like Connor Brown, he's a high energy, versatile player with some skill. His production at 5v5 has been steady if not spectacular, usually 6-14 goals per season. His scoring rates spiked this year but that's not like to last - he was running a 14.77 shooting percentage, which appears an aberration since his previous three years were 9.80%, 8.00% and 9.56%.

Nice player, but at 27 he's a middle-six winger who doesn't have any further upside. If the Oilers hadn't already acquired Hyman and Foegele I could see Brown being a target, but I think the price here is far too steep for what he adds to the Oilers roster today.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 9:22 a.m.

Quoting: Drai_By_shooting
I have no idea what you're talking about. He'd immediately be an upgrade on every RW we have and slot next to his old Junior teammate , a guy by the name of Connor Mcdavid. Hed probably score 40+ . Id do that trade in a heartbeat. In fact i did do that exact trade lmao

5v5 goals over the past 3 years:

Hyman: 35 in 165 games = 0.212 G/GP
Nugent-Hopkins: 37 in 199 games = 0.186 G/GP
Kassian: 29 in 165 games = 0.176 G/GP
Yamamoto: 15 in 96 games = 0.156 G/GP
Brown: 32 in 209 games = 0.153 G/GP
Puljujarvi: 25 in 166 games = 0.151 G/GP (going back to 17-18 as he missed a season)
Foegele: 29 in 198 games = 0.146 G/GP
Archibald: 20 in 182 games = 0.110 G/GP

Some of Jesse's numbers were posted as a teenager, so I don't see Brown playing above him. Brown did score more goals than Puljujarvi last year but was on a heater (see post #19) and doesn't bring the physicality the Oilers are looking for on McDavid's wing. Bottom line: Brown is likely a 3rd liner in Edmonton, if Kassian gets moved Brown makes some sense as a replacement (although he brings a completely different skillset), but there's no way to justify the astronomical ask of a 1st + a good prospect based on the roster as it stands today.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 10:18 a.m.
Serf
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
It might be splitting hairs, but technically I think Mete was on the top Pair once Chabot went down. He was the one playing more minutes generally (was north of 23:30 in 4 of the final 5 games, which Brannstrom only did once), and he was the one playing with Zaitsev who was easily DJ's most heavily leaned on RD last year. He was playing against tougher competition, and was even used pretty heavily on the PK, though that may have been out of necessity rather than preference.

It's honestly not surprising to me that if they decided they can't run with two smaller guys going forward that they could choose Mete. He doesn't have nearly as much upside, but he's more capable if being relied on in defensive situations, he's better at evading/absorbing hits and he's a wildly better skater. He's also worth a LOT less as a trade piece relative to his on ice value, and if they never see Brannstrom playing his off side, Mete makes a lot more sense as 3rd pair once Sanderson is in the show.

How I imagine things will shake out is it will be Chabot-Zaitsev obviously, MDZ with Zub hoping for Mike Reilly 2.0, and Mete with Holden or Brown, ideally Holden. Though if it's true that the Sens expect Mete to start in the top 4, what I would like to see is Chabot with Zub as he's our best RD by a sizable margin, and putting Mete with Zaitsev. The two played quite well together down the stretch (I thought it was some of the best hockey he's played as a Senator), and I think if you can get Zaitsev's minutes down closer to 20 from the nearly 23 he was averaging this year he'd be much more effective.

That's a good observation about Mete paired with Zaitsev. I don't always get to see little things like that listening on the radio unless the broadcasters call a D to D pass. As the season went on, fewer and fewer games were available to me here in TML land, and I was stuck listening in, which was nostalgic for me, bringing back memories of the early 80's Islanders playoffs, that I could only listen to because of work. If you're interested, here are the game to game breakdowns. I've never added multiple links before, I hope this works.
May 3rd
May 5th
May 8th
May 9th
May 12th
Claesson4Norris liked this.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 10:44 a.m.
Serf
Quoting: Timmah007
Oilers have those Jack of all trades jp archibald nuge Hyman. Pp is best in the league. Pk has been excellent. All the areas in which brown could be very nice add in aren’t areas of need. Goaltending is the biggest question mark right now for Edmonton they just can’t afford to take that chance downgrading from kosk who they have been actively looking to upgrade on. Last year smith got hurt before the season started given his age that’s not surprising that happens again will they be ok saying forsberg is the guy to carry the expectations that are on this team? I certainly don’t think that’s a wise choice. It’s nothing against brown I certainly believe can get that type of return just the trade purposed here doesn’t fit with Edmonton’s current situation. One team I could see being a good fit for such a trade is jersey they could use a couple Jack of all trades to complement the depth they have at centre likely won’t need to take back any poison pill.

Ottawa isn't trying to trade Brown, so the New Jersey comment is kind of out in left field here, and seems like a punt of the discussion to another team when your arguments run out of downs, to use a baseball and football analogy.

Look at it this way, Brown is a quality addition to the current Oilers lineup and window of opportunity, while Lavoie and the first aren't going to factor into this next season or two, that's the basics of the trade. Koskinen is the cap space to acquire Brown, with the expectation that Smith is the number one, and Koskinen's loss would be limited, because he's the backup. If you don't like the trade, that's fine, but your arguments are sounding homerish.

The only real point you can make is, is Brown the best addition you can get for Lavoie and the first, and that's the type of argument that makes this site irritating. The, we can do better, argument. If you can do a lot better, fine, but trying to tweak out a little bit more makes for silly debates. Or the, we're fine with what we have and don't need to improve argument. Early playoff exits during the window of opportunity needs to be addressed. Teams generally win in the playoffs with their #1 goalie, and special teams have a huge impact. It's fine though if you're not interested in Brown.
Aug. 5, 2021 at 2:21 p.m.
Ottawa isn't trying to trade Brown, so the New Jersey comment is kind of out in left field here, and seems like a punt of the discussion to another team when your arguments run out of downs, to use a baseball and football analogy.

Look at it this way, Brown is a quality addition to the current Oilers lineup and window of opportunity, while Lavoie and the first aren't going to factor into this next season or two, that's the basics of the trade. Koskinen is the cap space to acquire Brown, with the expectation that Smith is the number one, and Koskinen's loss would be limited, because he's the backup. If you don't like the trade, that's fine, but your arguments are sounding homerish.

The only real point you can make is, is Brown the best addition you can get for Lavoie and the first, and that's the type of argument that makes this site irritating. The, we can do better, argument. If you can do a lot better, fine, but trying to tweak out a little bit more makes for silly debates. Or the, we're fine with what we have and don't need to improve argument. Early playoff exits during the window of opportunity needs to be addressed. Teams generally win in the playoffs with their #1 goalie, and special teams have a huge impact. It's fine though if you're not interested in Brown.

It’s not against brown it’s about needing a quality back up because mike smith can’t play 60+ games as starter. He’s expected to be the starter next year based off last years results but look at the year before kosk was the one getting job done. Neither goalie is good enough to carry the team in a full season it’s a tandem situation both guys are very important to team success.
sensibleguy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll