SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Do you want the NHL to go to the Olympics?

Do you want the NHL to go to the Olympics?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 8, 2021 at 12:36 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
So the Olympics are 6 months away, and the NHL doesn’t have an agreement in place with the IOC to allow NHL players to go to the Olympics. This is in spite of the fact that the CBA was negotiated under the assumption that the NHL would try their best to get a deal done to send players to the Olympics and the fact that the current NHL schedule includes a 3 week Olympic/All-Star break.

I’m not sure whether it gets done or not, but I’m wondering what everyone else thinks about players going to the Olympics. (I’m sure my opinion is going to get blown out of the water by people that want it to happen, but I’ll share it anyways.)

I don’t want the NHL to go to the Olympics. Everyone knows the IOC is just a group that exists solely for the purpose of greed and exploiting incredibly talented athletes to make a bunch of money. The IOC wants to profit off of NHL players while the NHL and the players themselves get nothing, and are forced to disrupt their season.

And there are 300 hockey players at the Olympics. If the NHL goes let’s go high and say that 175 of those are NHLers. That means that around 17% of the league (with players playing NHL games last year, scaled up by 3.2% to account for Seattle) is playing in the Olympics. So why should the NHL be losing money and disrupting their season just to make it slightly better for less than a 5th of the league?

And I’d really hate for a team to be negatively impacted because of what happens to their players in a needless tournament. What would happen to the Oilers if McDavid got injured playing in the Olympics?

And I’m sure that my opinion is affected by the fact that I’m from Canada, so international hockey success isn’t a big deal, and I really hate nationalism. I cheer for the players, and I don’t care about what country you’re representing. (Unless it’s the US, in which case you could say that I specifically cheer against them more than I do for any other country, mostly because American nationalism is the most toxic version of nationalism) But even then you can see me cheering for the US if they have Cole Caufield on the team.

And as a fan, I just want to watch the habs. I don’t want the season for everyone to get screwed up by this 3 week break and potentially have injuries to our players. Just get to the playoffs, don’t cave to a greedy corporation that feeds off of the support for these amazing athletes. And knowing me, I’d probably spend the $25 to watch the Olympics anyways because I love the habs players too much…

On a side note, depending on whether Olympic players are involved or not, All-Star weekend could become a lot more fun or a lot more boring. (Fun if it’s new players that aren’t usually All-Stars, boring if it’s even more dialed down because the players are saving it for the Olympics)
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 12:49 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Aug. 8, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
Well it’s interesting because people don’t want Pros in the Olympics because they’re well Pros and that wasn’t really what the Olympics was about..

But my argument is the Olympics represents the best of the best. And if you’re a pro runner you should be allowed to run. Just the same as sports. If you’re a pro athlete you should be allowed because if you’re apart of the best we’ll then your the best and deserve to go.

Additionally while the argument shows that other countries get a better shot and you could send rookies; specifically for hockey. Canada values the WJ just as much if not more than the Olympics in some weird way. The world juniors is so fun and gets everyone in.

So I think the NHL should go. It’s the player’s decision; they could easily get hurt in the Olympics just as much if they were playing Wilson or Schiefele (lol jkjk).

I think the NHL adds so much to the Olympics. It’s creates a moment not a event or result.

I mean USA vs CAN, USA vs RUS, SWE vs FIN. The pure sport moments that’s are created from the Olympics having the NHL are irreplaceable.

The all star game or World Cup are fine (or world championships). But they don’t touch the Olympics. It’s the ****ing Olympics. It means more to players than we realize. They get to represent their country not themselves or the NHL.

I get the NHL can get affected by injuries but that’s why the IOC is gonna give the NHL more benefits this year if they go.

And you can’t replace those moments that are created. Germany may have done well without pros for example. But man I’d love to see Germany with pros. CAN vs USA will be insane this year USA is so ****ing strong. They’re so deep this Olympics with pros.

SWE vs FIN or FIN vs CAN will be awesome. Russia can’t be a powerhouse with the NHL (because they were when the NHL DOESNT go and that’s no fun because they’re sending KHL pros).

Without the NHL the Olympics loses that edge in men’s hockey. And in general; loses one of the most exciting events in all of the Olympics regardless of bias because of the rivalries that are being formed and formed already from history.

Pros play in the summer and the winter. Why should pros be disallowed because of Hockey/ NHL. The Olympics is the best on best now. And we don’t get that without the NHL.
justaBoss liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 12:53 p.m.
I’d side with no, Olympics aren’t what they used to be
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 12:54 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: yikes
Well it’s interesting because people don’t want Pros in the Olympics because they’re well Pros and that wasn’t really what the Olympics was about..

But my argument is the Olympics represents the best of the best. And if you’re a pro runner you should be allowed to run. Just the same as sports. If you’re a pro athlete you should be allowed because if you’re apart of the best we’ll then your the best and deserve to go.

Additionally while the argument shows that other countries get a better shot and you could send rookies; specifically for hockey. Canada values the WJ just as much if not more than the Olympics in some weird way. The world juniors is so fun and gets everyone in.

So I think the NHL should go. It’s the player’s decision; they could easily get hurt in the Olympics just as much if they were playing Wilson or Schiefele (lol jkjk).

I think the NHL adds so much to the Olympics. It’s creates a moment not a event or result.

I mean USA vs CAN, USA vs RUS, SWE vs FIN. The pure sport moments that’s are created from the Olympics having the NHL are irreplaceable.

The all star game or World Cup are fine (or world championships). But they don’t touch the Olympics. It’s the ****ing Olympics. It means more to players than we realize. They get to represent their country not themselves or the NHL.

I can understand why you would want best on best. (Even though I don’t 100% agree) But if that’s the case, wouldn’t you want it in a situation where it doesn’t negatively impact the NHL season, and isn’t supporting an extremely corrupt and exploitative corporation. I think it’s just so unfortunate that so many of these great athletic performances are run through the IOC. Now I realize that many individual athletes don’t have an option to compete best on best elsewhere, but the NHL does. The NHL can run a best on best hockey event that is run better than the Olympics, and the players actually get paid.

And I get that the Olympics are a big deal culturally, and that’s just very sad, since we could all do so much better.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 12:57 p.m.
Bedard23
It’s expected that there will be nhl players participating in 2022 and 2026 and personally I think I prefer it with nhl player everything just feels more competitive and adds more of an atmosphere
Aug. 8, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I can understand why you would want best on best. (Even though I don’t 100% agree) But if that’s the case, wouldn’t you want it in a situation where it doesn’t negatively impact the NHL season, and isn’t supporting an extremely corrupt and exploitative corporation. I think it’s just so unfortunate that so many of these great athletic performances are run through the IOC. Now I realize that many individual athletes don’t have an option to compete best on best elsewhere, but the NHL does. The NHL can run a best on best hockey event that is run better than the Olympics, and the players actually get paid.

And I get that the Olympics are a big deal culturally, and that’s just very sad, since we could all do so much better.

Yeah I agree but where’s the next World Cup? It was great yet the NHL hasn’t run with it. Which is why the Olympics should happen.

And yeah but it’s not about the business or the IOC. At the end of the day yes the IOC is a PoSh*t. But the players don’t care. I think of it like this;

It’s about representation. It’s about your country. No one cares who’s this or that. It’s not about playing for the Sharks or playing for the Olympics. Without the NHL pros are still sent… just not NHL pros? The players want to go, and I believe it should be their choice. And IOC and NHL are working on ways to lessen blows from injuries or provide more benefits. The NHL additionally will gain much more viewership and attraction now that they’re working on gaining more rights from going to the events.

It’s not about playing and showing of your skills or that your names Crosby.

It’s about representing Canada, Finland, Sweden, Germany, Russia, Czech and so on. The players aren’t playing for money or for a team.

They’re playing for the country and the insanity that is created isn’t about anything but one thing; pride.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: IconicHawk
It’s expected that there will be nhl players participating in 2022 and 2026 and personally I think I prefer it with nhl player everything just feels more competitive and adds more of an atmosphere

Well of course the Olympics are better with NHL players. What I’m saying is that the NHL is better off without the Olympics.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 1:07 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Also specifically as a habs fan, the Olympics might be a blessing in disguise, but only if Price doesn’t play. Although that is extremely unlikely, but 3 weeks of rest could be just the thing he needs to help keep him at his 2020 & 2021 playoffs level.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 1:15 p.m.
Best on best with actual stakes ftw. If there was an alternative maybe but there isn't. Olympics all the way.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
Go leafs go
1000000% nhlers at the oylmpics.

I couldn't stand seeing Canada lose to Germany again lol.

In all serious, nhlers at the Olympics just makes them a lot of fun to watch (I don't even remember Vancouver cuz I wasn't even 5 yet but Sochi was fun).

Also specifically as a habs fan, the Olympics might be a blessing in disguise, but only if Price doesn’t play. Although that is extremely unlikely, but 3 weeks of rest could be just the thing he needs to help keep him at his 2020 & 2021 playoffs level.

Price will play. Unless he was a completely awful start to the season, he will be there based on his reputation.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 3:49 p.m.

Well Price will be there as he does good when he has to, as is shown by his Okay/bad regular season and amazing playoffs
Aug. 8, 2021 at 4:10 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Well Price will be there as he does good when he has to, as is shown by his Okay/bad regular season and amazing playoffs

Sure, but I think the biggest factor in how he was so much better in the post season is because he had a month of rest before playing again. So maybe Allen plays over 50% of the games down the stretch, but I think that 3 weeks of rest midway through the season could help a lot.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 6:26 p.m.
Considering the NHL's talk of social justice and other reasoning along that line, going to any event hosted by China should be off the table.
Hurricanes_WPG liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 8:30 p.m.
What in tarnation
I'm all in for a high level hockey tournament, and when I was a kid the Olympics were the top tier international games with all the top players coming from the top nations to compete against each other.

There's lots of reasons why it wouldn't be a good idea starting from money and scheduling to politics, but just from a hockey fan perspective I want the best athletes in for that tournament. Last time we've seen NHL players in Olympics was in Sochi 2014, it's high time they make a return if possible.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 11:43 p.m.
I make Articals.
YESSIRRRRR
Aug. 10, 2021 at 3:04 p.m.
I'd like to see a full-roster national tournament, but I don't care if it's at the Olympics (which I generally dislike).
I'd settle for World Cup of Hockey.
Aug. 10, 2021 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: Bflo_Soldier
I'd like to see a full-roster national tournament, but I don't care if it's at the Olympics (which I generally dislike).
I'd settle for World Cup of Hockey.

Best on best ftw!
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 7:32 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
I agree with my grandpa. He thinks that they shouldn't to let the young guys that aren't active NHL players all the time get a chance to shine. Maybe one of those young players could boost draft value and get picked higher. Less games less chances to shine and scouts get a better look at potential prospects to draft.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:41 p.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
I agree with my grandpa. He thinks that they shouldn't to let the young guys that aren't active NHL players all the time get a chance to shine. Maybe one of those young players could boost draft value and get picked higher. Less games less chances to shine and scouts get a better look at potential prospects to draft.

isnt that what the WJC is for? Lets be honest if Canada/USA sent a team of young prospects in order to raise their draft stocks they would get pummeled by pro players from Russian and European leagues
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:53 p.m.
Bedard23
They won’t be playing in the qualifiers
Aug. 19, 2021 at 2:31 a.m.
I vote No. Aside from all of the logistical concerns surrounding the pandemic, and the fact that we haven't had an uninterrupted season since 2018-19, I find NHL hockey 1,000 times more exciting. The location is also not ideal, imo. I can't stay home to watch games at 8am and it's almost impossible to watch the replay w/o knowing the outcome. I'd much rather see a World Cup played in North America in September 2022.
Kotkaniemi15 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 4:30 a.m.
Kansler
I voted yes. Simply for the fact that as a finn we dont have the mass of players we can choose from to every major tournament.
As it seems World cups are far and between apart its not asking too much to get the best of the best together every 4 years to compete against each other.
We have done damn well in juniors and even those are great entertainment despite being arranged every year.
Kotkaniemi15 and Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2021 at 2:04 p.m.
Yes the NHL players should be in the Olympics. It should be 100% up to the player to decide if they want to tryout/go play in the Olympics. It's a once in a lifetime chance for some of them.

Nobody has issues with NHL players in the WC (national pride) that happens during the NHL Playoffs. Nobody has issues if NHL players are in the WCoH (money grab) that happens right before the season. The Olympics is just a combination of those 2 things: National pride and a money grab. If the Winter Olympics was held in in the southern hemisphere nobody would have issues because it would be happening in the summer/NHL offseason. The issues people would be having then is why "superstar" UFA isn't participating due to him needing a new contract.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit