Forums/Armchair-GM

Best Contracts

Created by: sammy_daws1997
Team: 2021-22 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 11, 2021
Published: Aug. 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
People always equate the "best contracts" with cheap deals.

Some of the best contracts are very expensive but guys like Mcdavid should earn wayyy more.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$130,148,584$0$0-$48,648,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
UFA - 8
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,200,000$5,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 11, 2021 at 9:36 a.m.
Banned
I don’t think you can put Matthews in that category because his deal only bought out one year of UFA. I definitely get it with McDavid, because they locked him up for 8 years, but Matthews deal seems kind of awful to me. 3 years would have been great because they would still have his RFA rights. 8 years would have been great because they would have locked up the player to max term. 5 years without really enjoying any discount kinda stinks.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
Get Matthews out of this group. We are taking him to free agency without buying any UFA years, in which he is expected to walk. I doubt he re-signs
Aug. 11, 2021 at 9:49 a.m.
Meme Account
Quoting: MrDinkiee
Get Matthews out of this group. We are taking him to free agency without buying any UFA years, in which he is expected to walk. I doubt he re-signs

Matthews is not a good contract, yes he won the Rocket Richard but he scored 1 goal against *Clears Throat* The 18th Seeded Team in the playoffs (who leafs fans thought would roll over and die)

Plus he'll walk in FA if they don't win a series before the contract is up
Aug. 11, 2021 at 9:55 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
I don’t think you can put Matthews in that category because his deal only bought out one year of UFA. I definitely get it with McDavid, because they locked him up for 8 years, but Matthews deal seems kind of awful to me. 3 years would have been great because they would still have his RFA rights. 8 years would have been great because they would have locked up the player to max term. 5 years without really enjoying any discount kinda stinks.

When he resigns it won't matter. He took less term for less money. He had no issues signing long term but prior to the pandemic the cap was set to rise and he wanted the same percentage of the cap as other guys like Crosby, McDavid etc and that was more money over 8 years. It's still a value deal, he is the current best goal scorer in hockey.
sammy_daws1997 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 9:58 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
When he resigns it won't matter. He took less term for less money. He had no issues signing long term but prior to the pandemic the cap was set to rise and he wanted the same percentage of the cap as other guys like Crosby, McDavid etc and that was more money over 8 years. It's still a value deal, he is the current best goal scorer in hockey.

Well, if he re-signs. That’s a question now. And any negotiations will be against the entire league, not against an offer sheet. He reportedly was asking for 13.4 on an 8 year deal, so he didn’t have issues signing with term, but he wanted a crazy amount of money. Guys going into a UFA contract always get paid more than RFAs. 5 years was a bad choice for the leafs.
bald_and_bankrupt liked this.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.

With the way the fans and Toronto media are treating Marner and Freddie, I doubt he re-signs. Marner isn't re-signing either. We will have to build our core around Tavares and Nylander
Db1899 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:03 a.m.
Banned
Well, if he re-signs. That’s a question now. And any negotiations will be against the entire league, not against an offer sheet. He reportedly was asking for 13.4 on an 8 year deal, so he didn’t have issues signing with term, but he wanted a crazy amount of money. Guys going into a UFA contract always get paid more than RFAs. 5 years was a bad choice for the leafs.

He won't be negotiating against the entire leqgue. The moment he can resign they'll get it done. It didn't take long last time and won't this time either. It's pretty clear Dubas knows getting the stars locked up in important and he'll do it again in short order. This whole Matthews is leaving is entirely other fans wanting to see the Leafs burn. Matthews has said all along he loves TO and wants to win here. He loves the spotlight and you don't get a brighter spotlight in hockey.
sammy_daws1997 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:04 a.m.
Banned
With the way the fans and Toronto media are treating Marner and Freddie, I doubt he re-signs. Marner isn't re-signing either. We will have to build our core around Tavares and Nylander

Fans from other teams want this so badly they make up reasons daily. Both players aren't going anywhere
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
Quoting: HabsRSus
Matthews is not a good contract, yes he won the Rocket Richard but he scored 1 goal against *Clears Throat* The 18th Seeded Team in the playoffs (who leafs fans thought would roll over and die)

Plus he'll walk in FA if they don't win a series before the contract is up

Exactly. Media with probably run him out of town. With the leafs old defensive core and them being in a stacked division, they won’t make it out of the 1st round for the remainder of Matthews contract.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:08 a.m.
Fans from other teams want this so badly they make up reasons daily. Both players aren't going anywhere

I'm a Leafs fan and I doubt Marner will re-sign. Why would he? He gets trashed on by the media and fanbase. I like Matthews as a player, but he is unlikeable as a person
Db1899 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:09 a.m.
Banned
He won't be negotiating against the entire leqgue. The moment he can resign they'll get it done. It didn't take long last time and won't this time either. It's pretty clear Dubas knows getting the stars locked up in important and he'll do it again in short order. This whole Matthews is leaving is entirely other fans wanting to see the Leafs burn. Matthews has said all along he loves TO and wants to win here. He loves the spotlight and you don't get a brighter spotlight in hockey.

Lol, yes, Dubas knows how to get the stars locked up. He gives them way too much money with player friendly term.
Db1899 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:10 a.m.
Lol, yes, Dubas knows how to get the stars locked up. He gives them way too much money with player friendly term.

Dubas might be the worst negotiator among NHL GMs.
CMcAvoy73 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
Banned
I'm a Leafs fan and I doubt Marner will re-sign. Why would he? He gets trashed on by the media and fanbase. I like Matthews as a player, but he is unlikeable as a person

Because they know the media is the media, and don't listen to the loud idiot minority. While I think Marner needs to grow up a bit to truly shine, I think he can do it. A disappointing end to this season could mean he's gone but Matthews is a player you can't replace, so you don't.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
Banned

Say what you will, he's worth every dollar. The stars are not the problem, and you all will eventually realize it.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:17 a.m.
Because they know the media is the media, and don't listen to the loud idiot minority. While I think Marner needs to grow up a bit to truly shine, I think he can do it. A disappointing end to this season could mean he's gone but Matthews is a player you can't replace, so you don't.

You don't have to replace him, but he has the ability to walk if he wants to. If the Leafs don't win at least one round, you trade him in his last year of his contract if he doesn't want a new contract or wait until the summer
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:18 a.m.
Say what you will, he's worth every dollar. The stars are not the problem, and you all will eventually realize it.

Signing Tavares was the problem. I really wish we could go back in time to undo that signing
Db1899 and sammy_daws1997 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 10:21 a.m.

😂
Aug. 11, 2021 at 12:49 p.m.
Banned

Matthews? If we’re talking about Matthews, of course he’s worth every dollar in a vacuum. Awesome player. But normally when these 2nd deals come in, we either say, “huh, that seems low. Oh, its because they didn’t buy out many years of UFA.” Or it’s “wow, that’s a lot. Oh, okay, they got max term, that makes sense.” With Matthews it was wow that’s high, and holy crap he got that for five years. It was really horrible asset management. Dubas should have been offering 3 years, or 8 years, and nothing in between. If you look at other guys that signed with player friendly term, like 5 or 6 years off their entry, its normally team friendly AAV. Guys like Pastrnak and Mackinnon are way underpaid because they’ll get to hit UFA at a young age.

Dubas ignored that trend and just handed over a blank check.

You can say the stars aren’t the problem until you’re blue in the face, but there’s something wrong with this core. It’s why they haven’t won a playoff round in the cap era.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 1:30 p.m.
Matthews? If we’re talking about Matthews, of course he’s worth every dollar in a vacuum. Awesome player. But normally when these 2nd deals come in, we either say, “huh, that seems low. Oh, its because they didn’t buy out many years of UFA.” Or it’s “wow, that’s a lot. Oh, okay, they got max term, that makes sense.” With Matthews it was wow that’s high, and holy crap he got that for five years. It was really horrible asset management. Dubas should have been offering 3 years, or 8 years, and nothing in between. If you look at other guys that signed with player friendly term, like 5 or 6 years off their entry, its normally team friendly AAV. Guys like Pastrnak and Mackinnon are way underpaid because they’ll get to hit UFA at a young age.

Dubas ignored that trend and just handed over a blank check.

You can say the stars aren’t the problem until you’re blue in the face, but there’s something wrong with this core. It’s why they haven’t won a playoff round in the cap era.

Yeah , he just gave in to Matthews demand despite the fact that Dubas had some leverage. He was an RFA without arbitration rights. Now Dubas put himself in a position where he has to consider trading Matthews as soon as next summer if they don’t make it out of the 1st round.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 1:39 p.m.
torontos finest

He gets trashed by the media and fanbase because he dug his heels in and demanded as much money as possible, then did the spinorama on the PK and put the puck over the glass in the playoffs.

The criticism he gets is absolutely deserved; he's making 11 million dollars and can't score in the playoffs.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
He gets trashed by the media and fanbase because he dug his heels in and demanded as much money as possible, then did the spinorama on the PK and put the puck over the glass in the playoffs.

The criticism he gets is absolutely deserved; he's making 11 million dollars and can't score in the playoffs.

I agree, but we can't complain when he walks in free agency, if he is still a member of the Leafs
Aug. 11, 2021 at 5:09 p.m.

Mcdavids deal is the biggest steal of a contract of any forward in the league.. the only contract better than his is Makar. Mcdavid is so good, he would be a steal at the max AAV ($15M when he signed, 16.3M now) for the max term (8yr)

Matthews is also still a steal. Saying his deal is a bad deal because it isnt as good as Mcdavids isnt fair.

I will however say that the model i based this on doesnt account for term very well. It focusses on value in a given year. It spits out that Matthews had a value of $22M this past season and Mcdavid had a value of $19.8M this year. It is heavily stats based and obviously is biased towards goal scoring rather than assists but is fairly accurate imo (not my model though). It then applies their performance to an age curve to predict their output over the remainder of the contract and assigns a total value to the contract.

In total Mcdavids contract is more valuable because of the longer term as you mentioned, but Matthews is still very good value. Obviously there is no way to predict future contracts or account for the stability/risk associated with bringing him to UFA early in his prime so you have to asses that yourself, but I still think Matthews is on a very good contract.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 5:13 p.m.

No, he obviously did not have an issue with term. He wants to stay in Toronto, has said that previously and recently, and wanted long term as you said.

Dubas couldnt make that happen as the leafs (obviously) need the lower AAV so Matthews agreed to a lower AAV in exchange for less term. If he signs an 8 year deal at $15M AAV as his next contract that is still good value for the leafs. He is one of the best players in the league and arguably the best goal scorer in the league now and definitely the best goal scorer of his generation.
Aug. 11, 2021 at 5:14 p.m.
Quoting: sammy_daws1997
No, he obviously did not have an issue with term. He wants to stay in Toronto, has said that previously and recently, and wanted long term as you said.

Dubas couldnt make that happen as the leafs (obviously) need the lower AAV so Matthews agreed to a lower AAV in exchange for less term. If he signs an 8 year deal at $15M AAV as his next contract that is still good value for the leafs. He is one of the best players in the league and arguably the best goal scorer in the league now and definitely the best goal scorer of his generation.

5 years was a great decision by the leafs as it has allowed them a very valuable $2M in extra cap space during a flat cap period...

That is obviously dependant on him re-signing after the 5-years which should be expected...
Aug. 11, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.

What is unlikable about Matthews? I have never heard this take lol..

Publicly he is very dull imo.. not good not bad

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll