SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Site Discussion

Issue with taking down Armchair GM posts

Aug. 12, 2021 at 6:07 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I feel like there needs to be a discussion about the mods (or at least a better explanation to users) about what can and can’t be an Armchair GM post.

I’ll start by saying I 100% agree with the spirit of CapFriendly introducing mods and allowing them to remove Armchair GM posts and moving them to the forums. There has been an issue with people just editing the description while paying no attention to the rest of the team, when the post would be better off in the forums. One hallmark of these posts is that the lines aren’t edited, which is evident when the players are all in their default positions. In general most of the people who do this likely don’t know how to use the forums section or don’t know that it exists.

However, it has been common recently where Armchair GM teams have been moved to the forums and sometimes even outright deleted when there is still merit to these posts being expressed by Amchair GM teams. For example, @SevenLeg posted a team to guess what players on the team have in common. In my opinion this is perfectly suited to the create a team function in Armchair GM, but this post was deleted entirely without even an effort to move it to the forums. I also posted a team where I made a roster with 1 player from each US state. This post was moved to the forums despite the fact that it’s not any different from the various Olympic roster teams that are allowed to stay in the Armchair GM section.

There also has been an issue where a post will be moved to the forums, but the description is copied and pasted and that’s it. In a lot of cases this leaves an incomplete picture of what the poster was trying to convey, since the roster portion of the post is cut out entirely. I think that if you aren’t getting the full story with only the description, then the team shouldn’t be moved to the forums in the first place.

I would also like to say that these examples I’m giving all comply with the requirements given before you post in the Armchair GM section:
Does your team meet these requirements?
* Name and description relate to this Armchair-GM roster below
* This team is not being published for unrelated general discussion that is more suitable in a different forum section.

I am extremely grateful for all the mods do, especially @BeterChiarelli and @F50Marco who are doing their due diligence and only moving posts when it is appropriate. I just want to bring this to the team’s attention so that more people like myself and SevenLeg aren’t having their posts ruined after spending a lot of time into making them.
Zinger, A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 12, 2021 at 6:07 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Aug. 20, 2021 at 1:10 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I'm probably not adding anything substantive whatsoever to this discussion, but for some strange reason, I feel like I just gotta add my two cents' worth of support:

I know you two guys, I have a ton of respect for both of you guys, and I wouldn't dream of moving any of your stuff to the Forums.

And that's probably why no one has ever thought of asking me to be a moderator. Aside from my tempermental defects.
A_Habs_fan, Kotkaniemi15, Zinger and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I know you two guys, I have a ton of respect for both of you guys, and I wouldn't dream of moving any of your stuff to the Forums.

Then you're entirely missing the point of why certain threads get moved. The rules here don't leave a ton of room for misinterpretation and everyone gets the same reminder before publishing their AGM team. It's so very black-and-white. Very impartial. Either follow the rules or have your post either relocated to its appropriate spot or deleted. This isn't hard.

At a certain point it quits being a moderator issue and it starts being a user issue. I cannot begin to explain how draining it is to come here only to deal with the same fistful of complaints about threads going missing ad nauseum. As a general aside: if the userbase wants to preach respect, then maybe start with lending some of that same respect towards the moderators and maybe quit posting threats that break the rules.

I'm yet to hear back as to why the AGM Game threads were being deleted but as I've stated before all we're waiting on is the finite speed in which Banks has time to set up another AGM section. Anyone with a modicum understanding of coding, especially when its peripheral at best to your actual career, knows this isn't going to be an overnight solution.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 10:50 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I feel like there needs to be a discussion about the mods (or at least a better explanation to users) about what can and can’t be an Armchair GM post.

I’ll start by saying I 100% agree with the spirit of CapFriendly introducing mods and allowing them to remove Armchair GM posts and moving them to the forums. There has been an issue with people just editing the description while paying no attention to the rest of the team, when the post would be better off in the forums. One hallmark of these posts is that the lines aren’t edited, which is evident when the players are all in their default positions. In general most of the people who do this likely don’t know how to use the forums section or don’t know that it exists.

However, it has been common recently where Armchair GM teams have been moved to the forums and sometimes even outright deleted when there is still merit to these posts being expressed by Amchair GM teams. For example, SevenLeg posted a team to guess what players on the team have in common. In my opinion this is perfectly suited to the create a team function in Armchair GM, but this post was deleted entirely without even an effort to move it to the forums. I also posted a team where I made a roster with 1 player from each US state. This post was moved to the forums despite the fact that it’s not any different from the various Olympic roster teams that are allowed to stay in the Armchair GM section.

There also has been an issue where a post will be moved to the forums, but the description is copied and pasted and that’s it. In a lot of cases this leaves an incomplete picture of what the poster was trying to convey, since the roster portion of the post is cut out entirely. I think that if you aren’t getting the full story with only the description, then the team shouldn’t be moved to the forums in the first place.

I would also like to say that these examples I’m giving all comply with the requirements given before you post in the Armchair GM section:
Does your team meet these requirements?
* Name and description relate to this Armchair-GM roster below
* This team is not being published for unrelated general discussion that is more suitable in a different forum section.

I am extremely grateful for all the mods do, especially BeterChiarelli and F50Marco who are doing their due diligence and only moving posts when it is appropriate. I just want to bring this to the team’s attention so that more people like myself and SevenLeg aren’t having their posts ruined after spending a lot of time into making them.

Hey I've been on vacation the past little while so only getting to this now. There's a lot to unpack here so let me just say a couple general things.

-The CF rules can be grey at times:

* This team is not being published for unrelated general discussion that is more suitable in a different forum section.-

This is open to interpretation IMO and is somewhat vague to begin with. So expect some mods to be harsher than others here. TECHNICALLY those two AGM's you mentioned are not following the rules. Would I have deleted them? Probably not. My schtick usually is less about yours and sevelegs posts and more about those social media like AGM's where it has nothing to do with AGM'ing and more about trying to "trend" like a Instagram or Twitter post, etc. I go 0-100 on those types of posts without a seconds hesitation. I tend to go easy on AGMs that aren't technically valid but the person actually put time and effort into posting something of hockey value that although isn't following the rules is close enough for me to make that judgement call on. But on the flip side, there may be other mods that don't think the way I do, who may be stricter in that sense. Unfortunately there is no perfect clear cut rule on this matter so things like this may happen from time to time.

-Secondly, just remember that mod'ing is a thankless job. We all do this in our spare time and aren't as focused on it as we are in our day jobs necessarily. Accidents do also happen. I've accidently deleted AGM's when all I was trying to do was move them to the forums. I've deleted AGM's that, had I pondered on them a little longer, I may have changed my mind on. Can't say the above AGM's you mentioned were accidently deleted or not but it does happen sometimes too. Unfortunately there are no "undo buttons" so this too is something we'll just have to live with.

At the end of the day, we're trying to keep the different sections of CF about those particular sections only and not letting the AGM section turn into mess of random hockey posts, as well as force people to use the proper forum sections more often. The ease of use of the AGM section often makes ppl forget what the true point of it is. Its to build an NHL roster. Not show me every player born in different states. Although once again, I personally probably won't delete that type of post but just remember, it technically isn't a valid AGM. The mod deleting isn't wrong.

If all the other mods agree, I'd like make a change to our internal rules regarding what to delete/move or not. That if the poster uses the non NHL team roster creation in the AGM section, that in that space anything goes and nothing will be deleted. (Unless it breaks CF rules of course). But as long as your posting an actual NHL team roster in the AGM, it has to be a valid NHL roster type AGM. Not just a random team. I think that may be a fair compromise on both sides. I'll have to see what all the others mods think but I think this might be what we'll do going forward.
A_Habs_fan, Kotkaniemi15, BeterChiarelli and 3 others liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll