Forums/Armchair-GM

This wont Hertl a bit

Created by: TCMonkey
Team: 2021-22 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 14, 2021
Published: Aug. 14, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Given the divisions are back to normal this is probably not a playoff team, and I'm fine with that, but if Murray and Gustavsson stand tall... who knows!
The Hertl deal ONLY HAPPENS with an extension agreement. For too much to pay for a rental.
I'd obviously prefer to sign Tkachuk to a full term deal and give him the C but it seems like he's insisting on a bridge deal, which might not be the worst thing for Ottawa, I feel the offer is fair.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$6,500,000
3$5,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Hertl, Tomas
  2. Meloche, Nicolas
Additional Details:
Hertl agrees to 5 x $6.5M extension.
SJS
  1. Järventie, Roby
  2. Thomson, Lassi
  3. Tierney, Chris ($1,500,000 retained)
  4. 2022 1st round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
the 2022 1st is top 10 protected.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$66,061,750$0$4,507,500$15,438,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
C
RFA - 2
$3,600,000$3,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW
RFA - 1
$749,250$749,250
C, LW
UFA - 1
$726,667$726,667
LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:20 a.m.
Pretty easy no from San Jose.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:33 a.m.
Brady will not be a OTT sens in 4 years, he is hesitant to sign long term because he wants commitment from melnyk to build a cup team, melnyk does not have the money to do that, so brady will sign a 3 year deal, then a 1 year deal and be traded at deadline before he bolts as a UFA. As long as melnyk owns the sens they are the Coyotes/Sabers of the north
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:43 a.m.
Hertl likely signs for more than that and that return likely gets beat by a handful of teams if an extension is included.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 9:01 a.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: athrin
Brady will not be a OTT sens in 4 years, he is hesitant to sign long term because he wants commitment from melnyk to build a cup team, melnyk does not have the money to do that, so brady will sign a 3 year deal, then a 1 year deal and be traded at deadline before he bolts as a UFA. As long as melnyk owns the sens they are the Coyotes/Sabers of the north

Did Melnyk tell you that himself? Cause if not you're just spitting complete BS out of your mouth for no reason. Melnyk actually said in an interview before that his team would be a cap team at a certain point and believes his team to be a contender very soon.

He obviously has the money or he wouldn't own an NHL team. Whether or not he wants to spend it is a different story, but from his public comments it seems more like he's waiting for the right time to spend it rather then consistently be a cap team and lose money every season.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 9:19 a.m.
Quoting: TrueCanuck
Did Melnyk tell you that himself? Cause if not you're just spitting complete BS out of your mouth for no reason. Melnyk actually said in an interview before that his team would be a cap team at a certain point and believes his team to be a contender very soon.

He obviously has the money or he wouldn't own an NHL team. Whether or not he wants to spend it is a different story, but from his public comments it seems more like he's waiting for the right time to spend it rather then consistently be a cap team and lose money every season.

you must be a melnyk brown noser, in 2020 melnyk had to go the NHL 3 times to cover his payroll, he has no cash to pay for anything, a court master in the lebreton lawsuit melnyk is involved came to the conclusion melnyk would not be able to pay. (Kaufman wrote in his decision, “there are good reasons to believe CSMI has insufficient assets in Ontario to pay (defendants’) costs.”).
GoodIdeaAtTheTime liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 9:48 a.m.
As a fan of Jarventie and Tierney this is still rejected. And if we could re-sign Hertl that cheap then he would stay a shark.Hertl will easily get 7.5-8mil.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:02 a.m.
Mr.T 17
How do you feel about losing 11th overall in that draft?
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:03 a.m.
Edited Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
Quoting: GoodIdeaAtTheTime
Pretty easy no from San Jose.

Can the Sharks get much better than that? I mean, it's like 3 first round picks...

Quoting: TrueCanuck

Melnyk's net worth was 1120 millions before the pandemic and rumors are that he made a killing since... He HAS the money but he hasn't shown in a while that he is ready to lose money while operating the Sens franchise... He wants to meet the bottom line more than anything

Melnyk purchased this asset for 92 M$ USD in 2001. He could easily get over 500 M$ now. Thats a pretty good ROI, no? But he still isn't ready to "lose money" hort term, even if that could mean long term gain or more winning for his team.

The operating income for the Sens is "only" - 2.9 M$, there's about 15 teams who accept to lose more money every year on the O.I. basis and they still spend like crazy mofos for their roster and team staff. Sports teams are toys for billionnaires, it's not the best business to meet your bottom line every year (depends on market, of course). But you could still make profits with other venues (ex : Molson makes a lot of money with Evenko)

Like every other billionnaire, Melnyk could easily afford to lose a bit of money if he wanted too. If he doesn't feel rich enough to play in that playground, then maybe he should sell, no?

Look at Buffalo for example, small market too. They have sucked for 14 years (made the playoffs twice, no round won) but they were still spending up to the cap until recently. Their recent operating income was - 11 M$

See where I am getting at? In some markets, it's going to be extremely difficult to "meet the bottom-line". At some point, there's a cap floor and you won't be able to compete with the best of them with a well bellow average management payroll.

Something's gotta give. Senators caught a break with the cap staying stagnant for a few years, but for the next wave of rises, what's going to happen if they can't follow?
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
Roster Architect
you must be a melnyk brown noser, in 2020 melnyk had to go the NHL 3 times to cover his payroll, he has no cash to pay for anything, a court master in the lebreton lawsuit melnyk is involved came to the conclusion melnyk would not be able to pay. (Kaufman wrote in his decision, “there are good reasons to believe CSMI has insufficient assets in Ontario to pay (defendants’) costs.”).

If he didn't have sufficient funds, the league would remove him from ownership. I don't think you know how the league works.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
Quoting: crankshaft
As a fan of Jarventie and Tierney this is still rejected. And if we could re-sign Hertl that cheap then he would stay a shark.Hertl will easily get 7.5-8mil.

if he does the team that gives him that will regret it 6.5m on a 3 year deal should be most he gets(Reinhart deal), he will be 28 in november, not many prime years left
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
[
Quoting: Xspyrit
Can the Sharks get much better than that? I mean, it's like 3 first round picks...

Melnyk's net worth was 1120 millions before the pandemic and rumors are that he made a killing since... He HAS the money but he hasn't shown in a while that he is ready to lose money while operating the Sens franchise... He wants to meet the bottom line more than anything

Melnyk purchased this asset for 92 M$ USD in 2001. He could easily get over 500 M$ now. Thats a pretty good ROI, no? But he still isn't ready to "lose money" hort term, even if that could mean long term gain or more winning for his team.

The operating income for the Sens is "only" - 2.9 M$, there's about 15 teams who accept to lose more money every year on the O.I. basis and they still spend like crazy mofos for their roster and team staff. Sports teams are toys for billionnaires, it's not the best business to meet your bottom line every year (depends on market, of course). But you could still make profits with other venues (ex : Molson makes a lot of money with Evenko)

Like every other billionnaire, Melnyk could easily afford to lose a bit of money if he wanted too. If he doesn't feel rich enough to play in that playground, then maybe he should sell, no?

Look at Buffalo for example, small market too. They have sucked for 14 years (made the playoffs twice, no round won) but they were still spending up to the cap until recently. Their recent operating income was - 11 M$

See where I am getting at? In some markets, it's going to be extremely difficult to "meet the bottom-line". At some point, there's a cap floor and you won't be able to compete with the best of them with a well bellow average management payroll.

Something's gotta give. Senators caught a break with the cap staying stagnant for a few years, but for the next wave of rises, what's going to happen if they can't follow?

net worth does not equal money on hand, and BTW 400-450M of that net worth is the sens, the Sens were operating off of a line of credit guaranteed by the league ($135m. established in 2018).

It is common knowledge within Ottawa and within the NHL ownership club that there is huge money sitting on the sidelines in Ottawa waiting for the opportunity to become engaged in Sens ownership. Every level of government, developers and the business community as a whole are wanting to see that happen. Melnyk hangs on trying to bootstrap the value of the franchise upwards. Melnyk has delayed billions of dollars in approved city development because he could not meet his end of a minor cash call during the planning stages for a new rink.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:33 a.m.
if he does the team that gives him that will regret it 6.5m on a 3 year deal should be most he gets(Reinhart deal), he will be 28 in november, not many prime years left

Hertl is better than Reinhart. He's a two-way power forward that has been producing at nearly a p.p.g for most of the last 3 years. Eastern conf fans have no idea how good and effective he is so they have no clue how to value him without just throwing random names in the hat (reinhart) they are different players and Hertl has much more to offer than Reinhart's basically one-dimensional offensive game. No offense to you personally, that's just what I have observed.
FunMustBeAlways liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 10:49 a.m.
Hertl is better than Reinhart. He's a two-way power forward that has been producing at nearly a p.p.g for most of the last 3 years. Eastern conf fans have no idea how good and effective he is so they have no clue how to value him without just throwing random names in the hat (reinhart) they are different players and Hertl has much more to offer than Reinhart's basically one-dimensional offensive game. No offense to you personally, that's just what I have observed.

that is laughable only once in the last 3 year did he even come close to being PPG and that was in 18-19, only once did he ever outscore Reinhart in the last 6 years (18-19). they have only a 0.03 PPg difference in he last 6 year with Reinhart playing 61 more game and this is with Reinhart playing on one of the worst teams for the last 6 years
Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:12 a.m.
Edited Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:18 a.m.
Clearly you can't read stats on truncated seasons. Go get your bifocals, ill wait.

using strawman and bs excuses , on pace for is a not a stat

from 15-15 to 18-19 there is only a 0.02 PPG difference between the two and again, Hertl playing on a much much better team then Reinhart during that time frame, the stats do not back up your BS
Aug. 14, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
Not terrible but neither prospect moves the needle a ton for me even though I like both. Sharks need a good center prospect coming back if we trade Hertl and this doesn’t address that.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:00 p.m.
net worth does not equal money on hand, and BTW 400-450M of that net worth is the sens, the Sens were operating off of a line of credit guaranteed by the league ($135m. established in 2018).

It is common knowledge within Ottawa and within the NHL ownership club that there is huge money sitting on the sidelines in Ottawa waiting for the opportunity to become engaged in Sens ownership. Every level of government, developers and the business community as a whole are wanting to see that happen. Melnyk hangs on trying to bootstrap the value of the franchise upwards. Melnyk has delayed billions of dollars in approved city development because he could not meet his end of a minor cash call during the planning stages for a new rink.

You just explained one of the MANY reasons why Melnyk is a massive burden to have as an owner.

I know there is several rich people who want to buy the team, but Melnyk wants a damn overpayment and that's the issue
Aug. 15, 2021 at 8:10 a.m.
Hockey 1st Sens 2nd

This is a really tired take. Melnyk is horrible owner - no argument from me on that - but he has spent to the cap before and I believe he will again. I say "I believe" because, LIKE YOU, I can't say for sure what will happen. But this forum is about trades and team building, which is fun. Shooting everything down with "Melnyk will never open his wallet" gets dull pretty fast.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 8:23 a.m.
Hockey 1st Sens 2nd
Quoting: FunMustBeAlways
Not terrible but neither prospect moves the needle a ton for me even though I like both. Sharks need a good center prospect coming back if we trade Hertl and this doesn’t address that.

While it would hurt me to do it, I'd be willing to swap out Jarventie for Greig OR Ostapchuk. I'd honestly prefer it be Greig because I think Ostapchuk is going to be a beast.

I'm not sure which team would be giving him a 5 x $8M offer. Maybe a team at the VERY START of a rebuild where he'd be their 1st line pivot for most of those 5 seasons? It certainly makes little sense for Ottawa to do it since Norris is already better and Pinto would probably push him down the line up 2-3 years into the deal ...and a third line pivot making $8M feels more like a Toronto thing. wink

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll