SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Minnesota Wild signed Kevin Fiala (1 Year / $5,100,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 16, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Should've locked him down for a lot longer. This just puts the Wild in the exact same position in a years time with 8 million less to work with.

They would have that dead cap space next year no matter what. Now they have him for the season and can trade him at the deadline for a prospect and some draft picks.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 16, 2021 at 5:16 p.m.
Next summer, Fiala will be in the exact same position as Sam Reinhart. 26 years old and arbitration eligible, and being able to force UFA the following summer through arbitration. Guerin should take note and look to trade him at the deadline this year if an extension isn't done, otherwise they'll probably lose him for an underwhelming haul similar to Buffalo's return from Florida for Reinhart.

It's a value signing for this year and will look fantastic if they're able to trade him for a 1st and/or quality center prospect. If he hits arbitration next summer or is traded for an underwhelming return, this contract will look like a mistake.

Can't really answer yes/no right now. Too soon to tell.
Aug. 16, 2021 at 6:03 p.m.
Banned
Money is fair.
He was on pace for 30+ this year, almost 30 last year.
5 mil is fair for that. More term would be nice, but that can work out in both the player and the clubs favor. If he signs long term now, it's term till 33. Then his contracts probably suck.
If he signs it next year, it's term till 34.
I don't mind that for the player or the club.
Aug. 16, 2021 at 9:15 p.m.
Quoting: mitchmarner16
What is wrong with one year?
He will be an RFA again anyway

Next year he can accept his qo if he chooses and walk to Ufa.
mitchmarner16 liked this.
Aug. 16, 2021 at 9:24 p.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Next summer, Fiala will be in the exact same position as Sam Reinhart. 26 years old and arbitration eligible, and being able to force UFA the following summer through arbitration. Guerin should take note and look to trade him at the deadline this year if an extension isn't done, otherwise they'll probably lose him for an underwhelming haul similar to Buffalo's return from Florida for Reinhart.

It's a value signing for this year and will look fantastic if they're able to trade him for a 1st and/or quality center prospect. If he hits arbitration next summer or is traded for an underwhelming return, this contract will look like a mistake.

Can't really answer yes/no right now. Too soon to tell.

A first line winger in his prime is more useful than a non top 5 pick first. The majority of firsts after the top 5 or so will end up as a worse player than a first line winger...
Aug. 16, 2021 at 9:53 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
A first line winger in his prime is more useful than a non top 5 pick first. The majority of firsts after the top 5 or so will end up as a worse player than a first line winger...

Sure, but I'd rather take the chance, even if I end up with 7 years of a middle-six winger on a ELC and bridge deal. Certainly better than one year of an expensive top-line winger that will walk for no return at UFA.
Aug. 16, 2021 at 10:01 p.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Sure, but I'd rather take the chance, even if I end up with 7 years of a middle-six winger on a ELC and bridge deal. Certainly better than one year of an expensive top-line winger that will walk for no return at UFA.

Yeah the gift to him of ability to take arbitration or his qo was pretty weak negotiation
Aug. 17, 2021 at 6:44 p.m.
sen krak fan
Seems okay I think.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:59 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Dzinger18
Good deal. They still have some leverage next season since he will expire as an RFA again. Now lets add Svech to the Fiala and Saros signings today. Crazy to think that Fiala got more than Saros tears of joy

Well if this was signed last offseason it would’ve made sense

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit