Forums/Armchair-GM

yikes

Created by: editor9999
Team: 2021-22 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 23, 2021
Published: Aug. 23, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The losses of Buch and Blackwell are huge. The RW as of now is weak. Kakko has no luck and some struggles in his first two seasons. Blais and Reaves are just bottom six checking forwards. Kravstov still hasn't broken through. They don't really have a fourth line centre. I understand why they would sign Goodrow, but I don't know where he goes in the lineup. They would have to move one of their normal LWs to the RW. I know Blais is listed as a RW, but I'm pretty sure he's a LW. Defensively the Top 4 is not the greatest, but not bad. Fox is a going to be a Norris contender for years to come, Lindgren is solid Top 4 d man too, Miller has promise, but Trouba has really struggled in his time in the Big Apple. Goaltending is again, is not the greatest, but not bad. Shesterkin didn't replicate his amazing brief stint last season, but still had a solid .916 SV%. Georgiev had a .905 SV% which is OK. They are still going to be in a mix for a playoff spot, but a lot of things have to go right for them and also for a lot of things to go wrong for many other teams for them to make the playoffs.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,178,969$0$8,400,000$10,321,031
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 1
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 3
RD
UFA - 1
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,425,000$2,425,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$737,500$737,500 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 23, 2021 at 6:57 a.m.
TNT
My gut says they probably thought they were in on Eichel, or pretty close to a deal(in their mind) and would just shift Strome to RW when Eichel came in.

Panarin Eichel Strome
Lafreniere Zibenejad Kakko
Kreider Chytil Kravstov/Blais
Goodrow Rooner Blais/Reaves

Reaves being the extra guy.

That being said, I dont like Kreider and Goodrow that low in the lineup, but how do you not play Panarin and Lafreniere in the top 6? Does one play off wing? hard to say. Drury probably needs to make another move, or coach has some thinking to do(idr who the coach is right now my bad).
Aug. 23, 2021 at 8:26 a.m.
you are probably the type of person that looks at stat lines and stat lines only to form your opinions.

one of Laf, Panarin or Kreider slide to the right side. Laf did this toward the end of last year when things started to click for him.
their top 4 was actually very good defensively last year and goaltending isn't a concern - pretty sure they were in the top 10 in goals against.
they have any number of 4th line centers but it will probably be Rooney to start, Barron could also slot in here.
Goodrow slots in 3RW.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 9:50 a.m.
Jimbo1119
Don't deny there is some merit to what you are saying...because the Rangers are so young, any of the guys they will be depending on taking a leap forward can take a step back...but I think it's much more reasonable to look at the glass as half full:

1. Kakko- guy had a rough 1st year for many reasons. Last year took huge strides...guy is a beast in the making.
2. RW- not thin as you say...question is whether Krav and Gaut can step up for 2RW and 3RW...this is a spot Goodrow could reinforce if either struggle.
3. Goaltending- I think most teams would want the tandem the Rangers have...Shesty has been a big winner everywhere he's played..not worried at all
4. Playoffs: the only "locks" I see right now are: NYI, CAR, BOS, TOR, TB, and FL...so I see a metro spot and a WC spot up for grabs...and all the teams chasing have issues. I do not see PITT or WASH as "automatics"...both teams are aging and I don't believe either has been able to infuse youth into lineups. So NYR have every reason to believe they can challenge for either of the 2 spots I see as open.
Forbesy liked this.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 10:53 a.m.
Quoting: Jimbo1119
Don't deny there is some merit to what you are saying...because the Rangers are so young, any of the guys they will be depending on taking a leap forward can take a step back...but I think it's much more reasonable to look at the glass as half full:

1. Kakko- guy had a rough 1st year for many reasons. Last year took huge strides...guy is a beast in the making.
2. RW- not thin as you say...question is whether Krav and Gaut can step up for 2RW and 3RW...this is a spot Goodrow could reinforce if either struggle.
3. Goaltending- I think most teams would want the tandem the Rangers have...Shesty has been a big winner everywhere he's played..not worried at all
4. Playoffs: the only "locks" I see right now are: NYI, CAR, BOS, TOR, TB, and FL...so I see a metro spot and a WC spot up for grabs...and all the teams chasing have issues. I do not see PITT or WASH as "automatics"...both teams are aging and I don't believe either has been able to infuse youth into lineups. So NYR have every reason to believe they can challenge for either of the 2 spots I see as open.

But they are banking on 4 young players to produce all 4 haven’t done that in the NHL level. Kravstov hasn’t even put up an impressive point total In any pro level. It’s boom or bust.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 11:45 a.m.
Jimbo1119
Quoting: Sabres923
But they are banking on 4 young players to produce all 4 haven’t done that in the NHL level. Kravstov hasn’t even put up an impressive point total In any pro level. It’s boom or bust.

For sure Krav is the biggest question mark...but I do believe his production relative to his age has been productive...nonetheless he is what he is: a prospect- but a real good one who they have top 6 hopes for- even if that doesn't happen this year. Not sure who the other 3 guys you are referring to- I assume Shesty, Miller and Kakko? No reason to think any of these 3 shouldn't be able to take big strides forward- from a season where all 3 were NHL capable. Of course injuries can happen, any of the 4 can take a step back, etc...if you want to insist on pessimism- why even bother torturing yourself in following sports? lol
Aug. 23, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.
For sure Krav is the biggest question mark...but I do believe his production relative to his age has been productive...nonetheless he is what he is: a prospect- but a real good one who they have top 6 hopes for- even if that doesn't happen this year. Not sure who the other 3 guys you are referring to- I assume Shesty, Miller and Kakko? No reason to think any of these 3 shouldn't be able to take big strides forward- from a season where all 3 were NHL capable. Of course injuries can happen, any of the 4 can take a step back, etc...if you want to insist on pessimism- why even bother torturing yourself in following sports? lol

Lafrenière, Chytil, Kakko and Kravstov. Rangers need them to produce. Plus make up for the lost of Buch I just don’t see them being playoff contenders this season.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 12:10 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Lafrenière, Chytil, Kakko and Kravstov. Rangers need them to produce. Plus make up for the lost of Buch I just don’t see them being playoff contenders this season.

Chytl...guy can't win a faceoff- but his points/60 min last year he was with impressive company. He got off to a real good start last year then a nagging injury plagued him the rest of the way.

LaF- had a very slow start, but as the year progressed- he showed he belonged and looked more and more impressive as the season went along.

Now is it a certainty that all these young guys progress from last year? Absolutely not...but while their competitors for the last few playoff spots are in a battle with father time, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that at least one of those teams gets unseated
Aug. 23, 2021 at 1:52 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
Chytl...guy can't win a faceoff- but his points/60 min last year he was with impressive company. He got off to a real good start last year then a nagging injury plagued him the rest of the way.

LaF- had a very slow start, but as the year progressed- he showed he belonged and looked more and more impressive as the season went along.

Now is it a certainty that all these young guys progress from last year? Absolutely not...but while their competitors for the last few playoff spots are in a battle with father time, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that at least one of those teams gets unseated

Filip Chytil should be playing ahead of Vitali Kravtsov (and Sammy Blais). I don't understand how people convinced themselves that Kravtsov is a better hockey player.

lafreniere-zibanejad-kakko
panarin-strome-chytil
kreider-goodrow-kravtsov should be the top 9 and I will die on this hill.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Quoting: mhroblak
Filip Chytil should be playing ahead of Vitali Kravtsov (and Sammy Blais). I don't understand how people convinced themselves that Kravtsov is a better hockey player.

lafreniere-zibanejad-kakko
panarin-strome-chytil
kreider-goodrow-kravtsov should be the top 9 and I will die on this hill.

I guess you've given up on Chytl as a C...I have not:
2nd line should be: Panarin- Chytl- Krav
Strome dealt before he's lost for nothing
3rd line then:
Kreider-Goodrow- Gautier
Aug. 24, 2021 at 2:37 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
I guess you've given up on Chytl as a C...I have not:
2nd line should be: Panarin- Chytl- Krav
Strome dealt before he's lost for nothing
3rd line then:
Kreider-Goodrow- Gautier

You're right, I have. He's had three years to show signs that he can handle all of the responsibilities of a center and he hasn't. He's most fit for wing and the Rangers will be most effective with Chytil on wing.

I don't see the reason to trade Strome either, unless New York is out of the playoff hunt by the trade deadline which they shouldn't. Keep him for the entire 2021-22 season and then find his replacement the following offseason. Contending teams don't trade away players with 1 year left unless a replacement is coming back in the return. They recoup the roster after losing players to free agency because they need the 1 year players on the team to push for the cup. Take Colorado and Grubauer/Kuemper as an example. Or take Boston and Rask/Ullmark.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 10:50 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Quoting: mhroblak
You're right, I have. He's had three years to show signs that he can handle all of the responsibilities of a center and he hasn't. He's most fit for wing and the Rangers will be most effective with Chytil on wing.

I don't see the reason to trade Strome either, unless New York is out of the playoff hunt by the trade deadline which they shouldn't. Keep him for the entire 2021-22 season and then find his replacement the following offseason. Contending teams don't trade away players with 1 year left unless a replacement is coming back in the return. They recoup the roster after losing players to free agency because they need the 1 year players on the team to push for the cup. Take Colorado and Grubauer/Kuemper as an example. Or take Boston and Rask/Ullmark.

To your 1st point: you may be right- he might be more fit for the wing….but while he’s been here 3 years…still only 21yo…I’d rather show a little more patience with him at C…would like to see what Gallant can get out of him…and would like to see what playing with Bread can bring out.

As far as your 2nd point: the Rangers should be a playoff contender…but reality is they are not a Cup contender right now….let’s see them step up, make it to the playoffs…and maybe win a round or 2…but I doubt they could beat whoever comes out of the Atlantic division…or COL or VEG…with a little more development they will challenge those teams soon enough…that said: do not lose Strome for nothing!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll