SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

San Jose Sharks signed Jasper Weatherby (2 Years / $925,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 24, 2021 at 1:32 p.m.
Jasper Weatherby has signed a new contract with the San Jose Sharks.
Entry-Level Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Doug Wilson
Length: 2 years
Value: $1,850,000
Expiry Status: UFA (No QO)
Cap % Tooltip: 1.03
Signing Team: Logo of the San Jose SharksSan Jose Sharks
Signing Date: Aug. 24, 2021
Source: CapFriendly

Jasper Weatherby signed a 2 year, $1,850,000 contract with the San Jose Sharks on Aug. 24, 2021. The contract has a cap hit of $842,500.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2021-22$842,500$925,000$82,500$92,500$750,000$842,500$70,000
2022-23$842,500$925,000$82,500$92,500$750,000$842,500$70,000
TOTAL$1,685,000$1,850,000$165,000$185,000$1,500,000$1,685,000$140,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $787,500
Aug. 24, 2021 at 1:33 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Ground breaking
Aug. 24, 2021 at 1:43 p.m.
Finally! I've been waiting for this
Aug. 24, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
He’s a really cool guy but I don’t think he’s nearly good enough to make the NHL
Aug. 24, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: FunMustBeAlways
He’s a really cool guy but I don’t think he’s nearly good enough to make the NHL

I don't know about that. He's not a high upside player by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a large C with pro level skating, and he plays relatively sound hockey in all situations. He's definitely a pretty big long shot, but I think the tools are there for him to find success as a depth forward at the NHL level.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 3:20 p.m.
Patient Sharks Fan
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I don't know about that. He's not a high upside player by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a large C with pro level skating, and he plays relatively sound hockey in all situations. He's definitely a pretty big long shot, but I think the tools are there for him to find success as a depth forward at the NHL level.

I can see him being a call up but he's behind Gambrell, Pederson for 4C on the depth chart.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 4:01 p.m.
Banned

all these people who don't watch games but got comments.

People make these same comments out of guys like Caulfield.
Anyone sleeping on the crew out of ND is out of pocket.

That is one good team. And those are some really good players on it. They were a 5OT game away from the frozen 4 last year. Against a power house team in MIN-DEL.
There are multiple players on that team who are going to be NHL guys in a few years.
connorcieminski liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris

Ehh I just really don’t see the upside. He’s not bad but he’s just kind of a washed prospect at this point. Don’t really see him jumping out of the AHL anytime. I’d love to be proven wrong though some of the tools are there.

Quoting: pharrow
all these people who don't watch games but got comments.

People make these same comments out of guys like Caulfield.
Anyone sleeping on the crew out of ND is out of pocket.

That is one good team. And those are some really good players on it. They were a 5OT game away from the frozen 4 last year. Against a power house team in MIN-DEL.
There are multiple players on that team who are going to be NHL guys in a few years.

Uhhh not sure where this is coming from but even if you don’t watch a ton of games, it’s pretty obvious Weatherby just isn’t that good. He was drafted as an overager, and put up less than a P/PG as a 23 y/o in the NCAA on a good UND team. I watched a few playoff games last year (although not many). But in those games it was brutally obvious that guys like Sanderson, JBD and Shane Pinto were much better prospects. The reason why people shouldn’t have slept on Caufield is cause he was putting up a GOAL a game as a 19-20 year old. I’m not saying I want him to not succeed, but he’s not better than Chmelevski, Gregor, Pederson, or Gambrell by any stretch of the imagination.
yikes, lilfimpen and Devil liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:11 p.m.
Banned
Ehh I just really don’t see the upside. He’s not bad but he’s just kind of a washed prospect at this point. Don’t really see him jumping out of the AHL anytime. I’d love to be proven wrong though some of the tools are there.

Uhhh not sure where this is coming from but even if you don’t watch a ton of games, it’s pretty obvious Weatherby just isn’t that good. He was drafted as an overager, and put up less than a P/PG as a 23 y/o in the NCAA on a good UND team. I watched a few playoff games last year (although not many). But in those games it was brutally obvious that guys like Sanderson, JBD and Shane Pinto were much better prospects. The reason why people shouldn’t have slept on Caufield is cause he was putting up a GOAL a game as a 19-20 year old. I’m not saying I want him to not succeed, but he’s not better than Chmelevski, Gregor, Pederson, or Gambrell by any stretch of the imagination.

it's the NCAA not the CHL. Players don't put up a PPG FFS.
There are many players who came out the NCAA not putting up a PPG from the NCAA. It's like saying, Bryan Rust must not be any good he didn't put up a PPG in the NCAA.
Meanwhile he's an easy top 6 winger on any team in the NHL.
Meanwhile guys who did put up a PPG, like ZAR are bottom 6 guys in the NHL, not that ZAR isn't a good player.
You are just so off base it's not even funny.

You want to rag on a kid who you clearly don't watch in a league you know nothing about.
His production for the NCAA level is solid. His size is A+ for the next level and he's not slow.
There is nothing not to like about this kid, and his ability to make the jump and play consistently at the NHL level.
Furthermore, at no point did Caulfield put up a PPG. The fact that you don't even know who he is, is very F ing telling.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:54 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow

Furthermore, at no point did Caulfield put up a PPG. The fact that you don't even know who he is, is very F ing telling.

Uh, he said Caufield put up a GOAL per game as a 19/20 year old. Technically that's not exactly true because he only put up 30 goals in 31 games but I'd argue 0.968 goals per game is close enough. Also I guess you're technically right that he didn't put up a PPG, he put up 52 points in 31 games which is 1.677 points per game. It's possible that Caufield was 20 the whole season (I'll fully admit that I don't watch much NCAA hockey and I'm not sure what the timeline was during this season but if it started on/after January 2nd he'd have been 20 the whole time)
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:36 p.m.
One of you is talking about Cole Caufield- who put up a goal a game and was a ppg player (something someone said doesnt happen....wtf?)
the other Im assuming is talking about Judd CAULFIELD a college teammate (and PITT draftpick) of Weatherby. (another long shot).

now both go to the box for 2 minutes and feel shame.
pharrow liked this.
Aug. 25, 2021 at 11:01 a.m.
May contain nuts
Weatherby is a big guy who showed some offensive chops this past season. He's also a pro in the faceoff circle. I'd say he projects to be similar to Sean Kuraly, which is fine for a 4th round pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit