Forums/Armchair-GM

Final Roster Projection 21-22

Created by: Frankcarp21
Team: 2021-22 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 25, 2021
Published: Aug. 25, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I will say, I actually think NAK is more likely to make this team than Allison. I just think Allison is the better fit if what we saw last season at the end was really how talented he is.

Line 1: Giving Giroux one of the more talented snipers he's played with would be interesting. I can see Cam getting alot of quick breakouts on this line and being setup beautifully across ice. If Atkinson returns to form, I can see this being a somewhat competitive and responsible top line.

Line 2: Really wanted to keep a Farabee-Hayes-Atkinson line for the Boston connection, but opted for this. I've always liked how Hayes has played with both of these wingers, yet I can't recall many times if at all they've been together due to lack of goal scoring depth. Now that we've added some pieces, I think it'd be a good idea to see how they can mesh. With Hayes defensive ability, it leaves room for the young guys to take a chance or two up ice. Both can finish relatively well, and I believe thrive away from the tougher competition.

Line 3: Probably the most confusing line and hardest to project. The burning question on people's minds are which of Laughton or Frost play center. I believe the Flyers really really want Frost to become a more defensively responsible player and become a center, but in my opinion, the writings on the wall. He's entering his draft +5 year and has hardly anytime in the NHL. I know he made the team out of camp, but who knows where he would've ended up. He needs to start playing in a role he will stick. That, along with the more talented left side of this roster, I believe the already proven Laughton should remain in the middle. All three on this line are talented offensive guys with Laughton being no slouch defensively, but may struggle keeping the puck out of their zone. If Laughton can carry defensively, this would have the potential to be one of the better third lines league wide in my opinion.

Line 4: Personally, I find it criminal to leave Lindblom on the fourth line (If he is back to pre-cancer form). However, I can't see the team putting JVR on the fourth line after a successful last season and in a defensive role. Lindblom is an exceptional defensive forward with a pretty decent IQ (check his highlights from last season, great passes). Today's addition of Brassard is great imo, as it lets you alternate between himself and Thompson for that 4c role instead of relying on players such as Bunnaman or Laczynski to step up. Allison is your high energy guy for the line with a bomb shot and the ability to get some points. Now, if AV wants it to be an all shutdown line, expect NAK or Thompson instead.

D Line 1: Really no explanation needed. Ellis is a fantastic player and, imo, a perfect fit for Provorov. We've seen how much he can excel with a reliable partner, so expect to see a huge jump in his game all around.

D Line 2: Truth be told, I'm a bit of a Risto fan boy. The trade cost was high, but its in the past. I am excited to see if he can turn it around, and I feel he will turn into a reliable #4. He will have a very underrated two way dman in Sanheim who will take some pressure off defensively for him. With Prov and Ellis getting a majority of dzone starts, expect this pairing to put up some points.

D Line 3: Yandle is an interesting pick up for Philly. Before free agency, it seemed almost like a given that York was going to make the club by default. Now, thats pretty unlikely in my eyes. Yandle's ironman streak is a very real thing. With Fletcher being a players GM and AV being a former coach, I'm almost positive there was some sort of assurance he'd have a bit of a long leash. Now, that being said, Yandle has the potential to be a positive fit for a very small cap hit. He fills a need on the powerplay (get to later), he's solid for a room, and he's a nice offensive piece to go with the very reliable Braun. These two are basically polar opposites, which will hopefully translate into a solid, third pairing that won't hurt you.

PP1- Giroux is famous for his cross ice powerplay passes, and thats where he's best. With no more Voracek to pass back and fourth with, I decided to put two shooters out there. Yandle and Giroux will handle the point with ease out there, and I can see a ton of cross ice 1ts for this line, with Couturier playing his usual cleanup role.

PP2- More of an opposite feel here. What I would love to see from this line is point shots. Risto and Provorov can do plenty of damage with their shots, and with two big boys like Hayes and JVR in front of the net, you can get some excellent screens and rebounds. Konecny is an exceptional goal scorer and is not afraid to go to the net as well, making him a great fit to round out the line.

PK- Really no story here, essentially how I rank the best defensive players on the team.

Overall, I am very excited to see how this team meshes. With a ton of moves put into one or two year contracts, and some projects taken on, this seems like the Flyers are pushing their chips all in. It is gonna be incredibly tough to compete in this division, but I think the Flyers were smart overall to build around depth. I think the roster was built great for this upcoming season, but there are plenty of question marks if the goals against problem is solved. Ellis is great for one pairing, but Risto and Yandle are historically offensive guys with poor defensive results. That combined with bringing in a goalie in Jones who has had a slide of 3 years and Hart coming off a horrendous year, the goals against problem may remain a massive problem for Philly. Hopefully the change of scenery can help the new additions.

Final prediction: 4th in the Metro

Thank you for reading if you made it this far :)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$70,822,095$0$1,025,000$10,677,905

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,137,500$4,137,500
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,571,429$3,571,429
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333
C
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW
RFA - 1
$412,500$412,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,725,000$4,725,000
LD
UFA - 4
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
UFA - 6
$3,979,000$3,979,000
G
RFA - 3
$4,675,000$4,675,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 25, 2021 at 7:45 p.m.
neslow92
I like it, only thing I dont agree with is frost, it takes guys longer to develop than others, i think he will be fine, and I think if hart even has an average season we finish 3rd or 2nd. Good work my guy thumbs up
Frankcarp21 and sk540 liked this.
Aug. 25, 2021 at 10:39 p.m.
I personally think our team would benefit so much more if Frost can take the 3C job. I also think we have such a logjam at wing, for instance Allison is a goal scorer, he's not adept to playing a checking line or energy line role. I'd rather him be down in the A playing top line minutes and using a bottom 6er for that. I also think JVR is the odd man out because the same with Lindblom, he's a scoring winger with an above average frame and a 200 foot game, he can't only be playing 4th line minutes with less talented guys. Also, where's NAK in this equation?

I think the best way to maximize this lineup is trade JVR to a team who's scoring needs a lot of help but who also can take on a contract that will be off the books in two years.

G - Coots - Cam
Farabee - Hayes - TK
Lindblom - Frost - Allison
Laughton - Brassard - NAK

With JVR tho:

G - Coots - Cam
Lindblom - Hayes - Farabee
JVR - Frost - TK
Laughton - Brassard - NAK

D pairings are on point for sure, for the PP2 i would like to see if maybe Sanheim can step into that 2nd PP role, or even Ellis. I would rather see Provy play the most minutes at ES or on the PK.

Just my 2 cents, overall well done though

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll