SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Carolina Hurricanes signed Andrei Svechnikov (8 Years / $7,750,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:19 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Aug. 26, 2021 at 5:20 p.m.
Quoting: MelonVK
Edmonton loses games 5-6 while Carolina wins 2-1. Any expected numbers, which accounts for situation and team effects, will tell you Svechnikov does not only have as much of an offensive impact, but also doesn't actually increase offense coming back

You're having difficulty seeing the forest through the trees. 41 points...PER SEASON is the difference. There are no metrics in the world (no matter how hard you skew them) that can say you won't pay an extra $750k for an extra 41 points per season.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: INeverPlayedHockey
How do you know that the offer wasn’t on the table?

You are extrapolating. It's not what I said.

Obviously, an offer sheet needs to be accepted by the player, or else it's not.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
Edmonton loses games 5-6 while Carolina wins 2-1. Any expected numbers, which accounts for situation and team effects, will tell you Svechnikov does not only have as much of an offensive impact, but also doesn't actually increase offense coming back

Your premise is backwards, and even if it was correct it accounts for at most half of on-ice impact. I think it's incredibly intuitive to think players playing at a higher pace both ends aren't necessarily better but will score more. Carolina plays low scoring games. Svech is a high scorer in those circumstances. Also, no, it's not "clearly Aho". Another thing to check this with is that the Canes were pretty bad before Svech, and to be fair Dougie (even Niederreiter to some extent), started tilting the ice for them. There are so many ways to stay out of the "look points" trap, and you still managed to fall into it.

dEqiCDCdEqiCDC

The thing about lying on the internet is that literally everyone can fact-check you. Over the past 3 years Carolina scored the 11th most goals in the NHL - tied with the Edmonton Oilers - and yet you seem to think they're a low-scoring team? Sure, bud.

And if you looked at the numbers you'd see that Svechnikov has one of the lowest IPP's on the team over the past 3 years, 16th of 22 forwards at 5v5, so he's certainly not driving the play like you seem to think. Another thing you could look at is the disproportionate number of 2nd assists he gets.
exo2769 and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:31 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Why would his agent allow him to sign for this money for 8 years?!? This would be a reasonable number for 5 years. That's a huge failure on his part.

Maybe it's the Boston Bruins philosophy, take less money but aim for a win.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:31 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
You're having difficulty seeing the forest through the trees. 41 points...PER SEASON is the difference. There are no metrics in the world (no matter how hard you skew them) that can say you won't pay an extra $750k for an extra 41 points per season.

Don't bother. The Hurricanes and the Oilers have scored the exact same number of goals over the past 3 seasons. He doesn't know ****.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: exo2769

There are plenty. I can think of scenarios where 150 point differences are justified. I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:37 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: CD282
The thing about lying on the internet is that literally everyone can fact-check you. Over the past 3 years Carolina scored the 11th most goals in the NHL - tied with the Edmonton Oilers - and yet you seem to think they're a low-scoring team? Sure, bud.

And if you looked at the numbers you'd see that Svechnikov has one of the lowest IPP's on the team over the past 3 years, 16th of 22 forwards at 5v5, so he's certainly not driving the play like you seem to think. Another thing you could look at is the disproportionate number of 2nd assists he gets.

Luckily those things are accounted for in the model I report results from. Luckily coaching effects, usage, scoring in both directions is included.

Regardless I can just change my phrasing. My point wasn't the actual goal totals, it was the pace that they played at. Edmonton let a much higher goal total back the other direction. Compare this to total shots as well and you'll see who's lucking out and who's performing more consistently.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:46 p.m.
Luckily those things are accounted for in the model I report results from. Luckily coaching effects, usage, scoring in both directions is included.

Regardless I can just change my phrasing. My point wasn't the actual goal totals, it was the pace that they played at. Edmonton let a much higher goal total back the other direction. Compare this to total shots as well and you'll see who's lucking out and who's performing more consistently.

So now you're deflecting! tears of joy

Your whole point was that Carolina is a low-scoring team and Svechnikov's point totals are actually awesome because of that - but you're dead wrong, they AREN'T a low-scoring team, they are in fact well above average for scoring.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:51 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Your whole point was that Carolina is a low-scoring team and Svechnikov's point totals are actually awesome because of that - but you're dead wrong, they AREN'T a low-scoring team, they are in fact well above average for scoring.

Lmao this guy. At this point i don’t even know what he’s arguing. He’s basically going “no your statistics don’t mean anything but mine do because they support my claim”
exo2769 and CD282 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
There are plenty. I can think of scenarios where 150 point differences are justified. I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.

Tell me buddy. How does one score 150 more points than another guy but isn’t as good as them because of their “playing scenarios”. I’m pretty sure you can’t find me an actual realistic scenario that you’d choose a guy who scored 150 less points than anothe guy. Even McDavid can’t get his line mates to score 150 more points than another guys…. Himself can’t even score that many
Aug. 26, 2021 at 5:20 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Hockyluv21
Hell no. You sign this deal to contend for Stanley Cups with Svech in tow for the whole decade.

Clearly it was a joke…
Aug. 26, 2021 at 5:45 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Chopper02
Maybe it's the Boston Bruins philosophy, take less money but aim for a win.

Lmao that isn't a real thing. It's a pr spin.
Besides, the few instances we have where it was confirmed to have happened tend to backfire on the player. Connor McDavid for example took less and look how that's worked out.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:28 p.m.
Watches no games

Yeah but I'm backing away from that. They're a decent scoring team, for sure. 11th is above average. But they're also deeper than most teams. You can check scoring share of Svech and Aho compared to McD and Draisaitl.

I personally don't care much about point totals, because they're usually more a reflection of teammates and situation rather than individual player skill. I was trying to appeal to things you cared about. Regardless of that, in terms of isolated scoring impacts, and especially offensively, Svech blows everyone else on the Canes out of the water. I brought receipts.

I don't know if you think this was some "gotcha", but I'm an adult, I can admit I made a poor point while I believe my overall one stands.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MrDinkiee
Marner is so embarrassing. What an unlikeable player

Marner had 98 points the year he signed his deal

Svechnikov only had 50 points this season so of course he was gonna make less lul

Considering Rantanan and Kucherov made betwen 9.25 and 9.5 the year marner signed if we wanted the ideal contract for Marner he would make between 9.25-9.5mill which still was more than what Svechnikov signed for

So next time I suggest you do your research
Trickster, HappyKampfers and CD282 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: Juiceman
Tell me buddy. How does one score 150 more points than another guy but isn’t as good as them because of their “playing scenarios”. I’m pretty sure you can’t find me an actual realistic scenario that you’d choose a guy who scored 150 less points than anothe guy. Even McDavid can’t get his line mates to score 150 more points than another guys…. Himself can’t even score that many

Yeah. Say one guy scores 150 but his opponents score 200. While another scores 41 and his opponents 3.

In a moore realistic scenario where a player is fed offensive zone starts and powerplay time while playing with good teammates 150 could even be obtained by an offensively negatively contributing player. Patrick Kane comes to mind - he's scoring below expectations, constantly getting fed the softest minutes, but people still think he's good because number big.

What you wana do in your head is put these players against each other. The guy scoring 150 probably doesn't do that versus the guy who lets in 3 while on the ice. The guy scoring 41 probably doesn't do that vs the guy letting in 200.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SnakeDelilah
wait why are we talking about marner when this has nothing to do with him?

People trying to start drama as somehow even if it has no relation we got to make it about the leafs lul especially if it involves Marner

Just ignore em and move on
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:33 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: aadoyle
Marner had 98 points the year he signed his deal

Svechnikov only had 50 points this season so of course he was gonna make less lul

Considering Rantanan and Kucherov made betwen 9.25 and 9.5 the year marner signed if we wanted the ideal contract for Marner he would make between 9.25-9.5mill which still was more than what Svechnikov signed for

So next time I suggest you do your research

Marner played next to an insane Tavares that season.

Rantanen is good, but MacKinnon is something else.

Kucherov is playing on the most stacked team in the cap era.

You're proving in real time why point totals are terrible metrics for evaluating player skill.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: jpsnow13
Nobody could do a 7 years offer sheet at 8M+? Wow

Offersheets seem to be extinct which makes the league boring. Like lets be real by 2025 were probs maybe gonna see 1 if were lucky
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:39 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Yeah. Say one guy scores 150 but his opponents score 200. While another scores 41 and his opponents 3.

In a moore realistic scenario where a player is fed offensive zone starts and powerplay time while playing with good teammates 150 could even be obtained by an offensively negatively contributing player. Patrick Kane comes to mind - he's scoring below expectations, constantly getting fed the softest minutes, but people still think he's good because number big.

What you wana do in your head is put these players against each other. The guy scoring 150 probably doesn't do that versus the guy who lets in 3 while on the ice. The guy scoring 41 probably doesn't do that vs the guy letting in 200.

Reason number one why your argument here doesn’t support your argument from earlier: svechnikov isn’t a defence god my any means and isn’t a shutdown player. Are you talking about 1 season or 3? No players score 150 in a season and if you’re talking about multiple seasons, 150 is a lot more than 3
CD282 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Marner played next to an insane Tavares that season.

Rantanen is good, but MacKinnon is something else.

Kucherov is playing on the most stacked team in the cap era.

You're proving in real time why point totals are terrible metrics for evaluating player skill.

Svechnikov was playing with Aho lul so not much of a difference there. And point totals among metrics are what get the players paid. Marner was 2 points shy of 100 so he was in for a payday. On top of that his stats were incredible that year. With his comparable's being Rantanan and Kucherov, Marner was not making any less than 9mill. Sure he plays with good center but no matter who he played with his numbers would still be good.

Also the flat cap probs heavily influenced this contract as we have no idea when the salary cap will increase. If the cap was going up probs would have seen Svech make 9mill
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:44 p.m.
Imagine voting no laugh
Aug. 26, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
Awesome deal for the Hurricanes, personally I think this Svechnikov got screwed over. In a few years, this deal will look like an absolute steal.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 7:23 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Svechnikov should fire his agent
Aug. 26, 2021 at 7:39 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Trickster
Svechnikov should fire his agent

I mean he could tell his agent that he wants more before he signed the deal 🤷‍♂️
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
Lol people say he should fire his agent. Maybe, just maybe Svech realizes it takes a team to win a cup. This isn't the NBA where 2-3 guys can take you to a championship.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit