Forums/Armchair-GM

A wildcard idea

Created by: nepTrystan
Team: 2021-22 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 29, 2021
Published: Aug. 29, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I've seen this idea and i liked it. Getting Hertl and signing him will not be that costly (a mix between the cost of Dvorak and Eichel) and he fits well in a 2nd center. I know it sucks to trade Poehling, but getting Hertl long term is really good for us. I decided to add some additionnal depth but next summer is going to be big.

And signs Suzuki before he gets offer sheeted plz
Trades
MTL
  1. 2022 1st round pick (CAR)
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Bye KK, loved you but 6.1 is too much, especially due to the conflict between you and the team
CAR
MTL
  1. Hertl, Tomas
  2. 2022 7th round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
Resigns him with an 6 year deal worth 7.5 m
SJS
  1. Poehling, Ryan
  2. 2022 1st round pick (MTL)
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (MTL)
  4. 2022 3rd round pick (CAR)
MTL
  1. Tierney, Chris
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (TBL)
  3. 2022 3rd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Habs get a 3rd line center who can be 4rth if Evans played better

Also gets some picks for Drouin who's not anymore on the plan of the team

Sens get a really good foward with almost no cost, he can still produces we know, and a change of scenary can be really good for him
OTT
  1. Drouin, Jonathan
  2. 2022 7th round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
Fresh starts for Drouin
MTL
  1. 2022 4th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
2022-2023 trade if me miss cap space (ANY TEAM)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$63,662,977$597,561$1,475,000$17,837,023

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
C
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
LD
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
Think SJS gets better offers for Hertl.
McSchleep liked this.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:29 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Drouin is not even worth that much unfortunately
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:41 p.m.
Quoting: vikhodush
Think SJS gets better offers for Hertl.

I think it's pretty close, what else you're going to add?

I saw annother one who was like a 1rst, 2 2nds, a 3rd and a c tier prospect and i was like much better remoove a 2nd and the prospect and add poehling who has upsides and was a 1rst not so long ago
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:42 p.m.
Quoting: TheGHANDI90
Drouin is not even worth that much unfortunately

His value is weird, it's low rn but at a 100% he's worthing minimum a 1rst and a prospect. Only a 2nd, a 3rd, and a depth guy is really cheap for a 50 pts player (Thierny you can get him for a 4rth at least)
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:43 p.m.
Quoting: nepTrystan
I think it's pretty close, what else you're going to add?

I saw annother one who was like a 1rst, 2 2nds, a 3rd and a c tier prospect and i was like much better remoove a 2nd and the prospect and add poehling who has upsides and was a 1rst not so long ago

Just thinking higher quality. A prospect a first and a 2 - that’s for an extension in place imo. I’m just not high on Poehling
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:43 p.m.
Drouin isnt worth a 2nd+3rd, let alone adding Tierney
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:46 p.m.
Just thinking higher quality. A prospect a first and a 2 - that’s for an extension in place imo. I’m just not high on Poehling

For Hertl he's not worthing a top A prospect, but Poehling is a B prospect who could turn a prospect if he continues his progress

And if you really wants annother prospect Mysak or Ilonen should be fine too
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:47 p.m.
For Hertl he's not worthing a top A prospect, but Poehling is a B prospect who could turn a prospect if he continues his progress

And if you really wants annother prospect Mysak or Ilonen should be fine too

I just think there will be higher quality offers
PittsburghModelMyAss
His value is weird, it's low rn but at a 100% he's worthing minimum a 1rst and a prospect. Only a 2nd, a 3rd, and a depth guy is really cheap for a 50 pts player (Thierny you can get him for a 4rth at least)

He's never been, nor will he ever be at 100% tho so forget about it
Quoting: PLDGEY
Drouin isnt worth a 2nd+3rd, let alone adding Tierney

Thierney worth almost nothing, he's just a 1 year depth guy. People think Drouin is a cap dump, which he's not at all, he's not fitting on the team and the add of Hoffman settles it. Habs has too much wigners and they need centers, that's simple.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:48 p.m.
I just think there will be higher quality offers

The thing is people will go high on Dvorak and Eichel , but they forgot him.

I think all of the offers will look the same, doubt a team thrown a top a prospect + a 1rst and a 2nd, if they thrown a top a prospect it will be only plus a 2nd and a later draft pick.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:50 p.m.
The thing is people will go high on Dvorak and Eichel , but they forgot him.

I think all of the offers will look the same, doubt a team thrown a top a prospect + a 1rst and a 2nd, if they thrown a top a prospect it will be only plus a 2nd and a later draft pick.

If mtl matches KK the canes could easily throw Suzuki and a first and a second for an extended Hertl at 7x7
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:54 p.m.
If mtl matches KK the canes could easily throw Suzuki and a first and a second for an extended Hertl at 7x7

They're not likely and hope they don't

so you can remoove the Canes on your list happy (btw if the habs match they can't trade for anybody)
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:55 p.m.
They're not likely and hope they don't

so you can remoove the Canes on your list happy (btw if the habs match they can't trade for anybody)

I meant Ryan Suzuki haha just realized the confusion I probably caused with big bro Suzuki
Aug. 29, 2021 at 10:57 p.m.
I meant Ryan Suzuki haha just realized the confusion I probably caused with big bro Suzuki

I understand happy, it's more like if they match the habs are out of any Hertl trade and now maybe Carolina is on it

If the habs don't matched it the Habs are on Hertl and the canes can't , they're also over the cap (probably just put Gardiner on ltir)

And yeah thank god i understand correctly cause i will be tilted if i belived you said that to get him its nick and pick lmao xD
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 11:01 p.m.
I understand happy, it's more like if they match the habs are out of any Hertl trade and now maybe Carolina is on it

If the habs don't matched it the Habs are on Hertl and the canes can't , they're also over the cap (probably just put Gardiner on ltir)

And yeah thank god i understand correctly cause i will be tilted if i belived you said that to get him its nick and pick lmao xD

Haha yeah I realized it as soon as I sent it. Glad you read through my unclear response and understood what I meant tho.

Should be an interesting next week or so. Seems like a lot of dominoes are at play now.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 11:04 p.m.
Haha yeah I realized it as soon as I sent it. Glad you read through my unclear response and understood what I meant tho.

Should be an interesting next week or so. Seems like a lot of dominoes are at play now.

Yeah

Still don't understand the hockey point for carolina for the offer sheet except revenge for Aho and they did a nice job putting the habs in trouble, but at what cost? (I'm honestly going to laugh hard if by some reasons the pick finish top 3)
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 11:14 p.m.
Yeah

Still don't understand the hockey point for carolina for the offer sheet except revenge for Aho and they did a nice job putting the habs in trouble, but at what cost? (I'm honestly going to laugh hard if by some reasons the pick finish top 3)

I’ve posted this in some other threads but here’s my perspective.

I think they like KK upside and think they can fix him and give him a fresh start in a less pressure packed environment. Play him with some higher end talent and get his confidence up. It was also reported they tried trading for him before the OS so I don’t think this was just to spite GMMB for the Aho OS (although Dundon certainly didn’t appreciate the gesture and didn’t forget).

A late first (assuming the team plays up to their expectations) and a third is not a bad cost to acquire the former third overall pick just three years ago and he’s just 21 still. 6.1m is a massive overpay for next year but they remain flexible past next year no matter what happens (this is the important part for me).

Worst case for Canes is KK is awful, they let him walk instead of extending him or signing his QO and they miss playoffs resulting in a higher pick. I don’t think this scenario is that likely personally. Instead I think he’ll play pretty well and they’ll sign him to an extension at lower than his QO (sounds like framework of this deal has already been discussed with his camp, I’m thinking 4/5x4-5m). He could also play really well and not want to sign a smaller deal and insist on his QO number for his next deal, which if that’s the case I think canes would be fine paying it.

KK also serves as insurance or leverage for Troch potentially leaving next offseason when his deal is up. Canes like having options and flexibility at their disposal based on how they’ve been running things the last few years.

Lastly, the revenge factor does play a minor factor. Dundon didn’t like GMMB calling him cheap and wants to stick it to him by either making his cap situation a potential mess or by stealing a player who may have underperformed but wouldn’t look good losing your third overall pick from a few years ago. It’s actually a really well laid out OS imo and constructed in a really smart way even tho on the surface it may look petty and dumb.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully that provides some insight from our side of the fence.
nepTrystan liked this.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 11:23 p.m.
I’ve posted this in some other threads but here’s my perspective.

I think they like KK upside and think they can fix him and give him a fresh start in a less pressure packed environment. Play him with some higher end talent and get his confidence up. It was also reported they tried trading for him before the OS so I don’t think this was just to spite GMMB for the Aho OS (although Dundon certainly didn’t appreciate the gesture and didn’t forget).

A late first (assuming the team plays up to their expectations) and a third is not a bad cost to acquire the former third overall pick just three years ago and he’s just 21 still. 6.1m is a massive overpay for next year but they remain flexible past next year no matter what happens (this is the important part for me).

Worst case for Canes is KK is awful, they let him walk instead of extending him or signing his QO and they miss playoffs resulting in a higher pick. I don’t think this scenario is that likely personally. Instead I think he’ll play pretty well and they’ll sign him to an extension at lower than his QO (sounds like framework of this deal has already been discussed with his camp, I’m thinking 4/5x4-5m). He could also play really well and not want to sign a smaller deal and insist on his QO number for his next deal, which if that’s the case I think canes would be fine paying it.

KK also serves as insurance or leverage for Troch potentially leaving next offseason when his deal is up. Canes like having options and flexibility at their disposal based on how they’ve been running things the last few years.

Lastly, the revenge factor does play a minor factor. Dundon didn’t like GMMB calling him cheap and wants to stick it to him by either making his cap situation a potential mess or by stealing a player who may have underperformed but wouldn’t look good losing your third overall pick from a few years ago. It’s actually a really well laid out OS imo and constructed in a really smart way even tho on the surface it may look petty and dumb.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully that provides some insight from our side of the fence.

I just think it's a risk that the canes shouldn't have made. It makes the habs in trouble, they get a young center, but at that cost he's going to get a lot, and if he didn't work well it was a one year rental, but how can you add things at the deadline if you're cup contending?

The main issue I have is the fact they did't keep Hamilton, didn't even keep Ned for that revenge OS? Not the best moove in my opinion, but i do get your point
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 29, 2021 at 11:29 p.m.
I just think it's a risk that the canes shouldn't have made. It makes the habs in trouble, they get a young center, but at that cost he's going to get a lot, and if he didn't work well it was a one year rental, but how can you add things at the deadline if you're cup contending?

The main issue I have is the fact they did't keep Hamilton, didn't even keep Ned for that revenge OS? Not the best moove in my opinion, but i do get your point

Yeah I’ve been up and down on some of the moves this offseason. My heart wanted Hamilton but I think it was right to let him go. They couldn’t afford to keep him at 9m for the second half of the contract. He’ll very likely be declining quickly at that point and they have a ton of guys who they’ll need to extend between now and then (Aho turbo Necas pesce Slavin etc).

The Ned one I think was a mistake - I think he’ll be a good goalie but I understand their rationale at least. They didn’t draft him and never thought highly of him. They waived him in the past and didn’t give him a shot until this year when they could have. They think his small sample size was largely due to getting hot and playing in front of a stellar team defense and think he’ll regress to his career average which is average at best in lesser leagues. Bc of that they didn’t want to commit longer term money to him. He also probably didn’t appreciate how he’d been treated here and it doesn’t seem like he was even willing to sign the deal he signed in DET here, rather he wanted to go to arb which canes def didn’t want. I still think they handled that situation poorly and he’ll end up being an above average starter in the league. At the very least should’ve gotten more for him.
nepTrystan liked this.
Aug. 30, 2021 at 12:32 a.m.
Patient Sharks Fan
This doesn’t get you Hertl and it’s not even in the ballpark. Lowball.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll