SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Detroit Red Wings signed Filip Hronek (3 Years / $4,400,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 3, 2021 at 7:45 p.m.
Filip Hronek has signed a new contract with the Detroit Red Wings.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Steve Yzerman
Length: 3 years
Value: $13,200,000
Expiry Status: RFA (Arb)
Cap % Tooltip: 5.40
Signing Team: Logo of the Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings
Signing Date: Sep. 3, 2021
Source: CapFriendly

Filip Hronek signed a 3 year, $13,200,000 contract with the Detroit Red Wings on Sep. 3, 2021. The contract has a cap hit of $4,400,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2021-22$4,400,000$4,400,000$0$500,000$2,700,000$3,200,000$3,200,000
2022-23$4,400,000$4,400,000$0$0$4,500,000$4,500,000$4,500,000
2023-24$4,400,000$4,400,000$0$0$5,500,000$5,500,000$5,500,000
TOTAL$13,200,000$13,200,000$0$500,000$12,700,000$13,200,000$13,200,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $5,280,000
Sep. 3, 2021 at 7:47 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
I saw many acgms getting him for like 5Mx3 (i think), so this isnt bad at all
Tntpod liked this.
Sep. 3, 2021 at 7:48 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
*whispers* it’s not as good of a contract as you think
JackAce91, Rangsey, ForsbergForVezina and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 3, 2021 at 7:49 p.m.
Stevie-Y has a lot of faith in this guy, the last year of the deal is worth 5.5 million, which means his next deal will be more than that.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 3, 2021 at 7:56 p.m.
Biased Opinion
Glad to know my "Honk if you're Hronek" bumper sticker has a few more years of life left
Sep. 3, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Hronek is one of those guys like Bertuzzi, Jokiharju, and Brady Tkachuk who get largely overrated based on the fact that they are some of the only decent to good players on their otherwise dog **** teams. He has struggled immensly in the role he has been given and desperatly needs help and a reduction in ice time and QoC. I do like him though and think he could be a reasonable 2nd pair/#4 guy in this league if he were developed properly but Detroit just gave him near top-pair bridge deal money. Absolutly insane.

Good for him I suppose. If I were being thrown to the wolves like he has been I'd want to get paid too.

The most worrying trend here though is that he is on the Ristolainen path right now and every effort needs to be made to steer him clear of that. He really is getting crushed out there.
bhavikp27, pinslack, SevenLeg and 3 others liked this.
Sep. 3, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
Sabres are elite
Quoting: Random2152
Hronek is one of those guys like Bertuzzi, Jokiharju, and Brady Tkachuk who get largely overrated based on the fact that they are some of the only decent to good players on their otherwise dog **** teams. He has struggled immensly in the role he has been given and desperatly needs help and a reduction in ice time and QoC. I do like him though and think he could be a reasonable 2nd pair/#4 guy in this league if he were developed properly but Detroit just gave him near top-pair bridge deal money. Absolutly insane.

Good for him I suppose. If I were being thrown to the wolves like he has been I'd want to get paid too.

The most worrying trend here though is that he is on the Ristolainen path right now and every effort needs to be made to steer him clear of that. He really is getting crushed out there.

What... Brady Tkachuk is extremely good and the fact that he has been good on a pretty bad team just highlights how good he is. Same with those other players you listed, just obviously to a lesser extent since they aren't nearly as good as Tkachuk
Briley, mart, Sid and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 3, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
I make Articals.
nice.
Sep. 3, 2021 at 8:39 p.m.
Pop Pop
The poor guys been on an island by himself for 2 years. Hes developed ok and looks like he'll be a steady 2nd pair guy who can play in all situations.
Sep. 3, 2021 at 9:58 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: Random2152

Quoting: Skyraider112
What... Brady Tkachuk is extremely good and the fact that he has been good on a pretty bad team just highlights how good he is. Same with those other players you listed, just obviously to a lesser extent since they aren't nearly as good as Tkachuk

You're so close. Tkachuk *is* really good. Nobody else mentioned here is. Also, neither is close to being anything like Ristolainen. Hronek is like a #5 being paid because Detroit doesn't really have anyone better. Ristolainen should be like an #11 on an NHL team.

There are good players on bad teams. Most players on bad teams are bad. Let's try to keep both of those thoughts in our heads at once when evaluating players smile
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 3, 2021 at 11:15 p.m.
Deleted
All and all pretty decent contract. Considering Seider is ready to make the jump and Edvinsson has some very elite upside down the road, this guys work load should be lightened a tad. Id like to see him played on a second pairing. He is a good player but its hard to gauge exactly how good he is because most of the team around him is pretty meh. LGRW
Sep. 3, 2021 at 11:32 p.m.
In what universe does he deserves this much money on a bridge deal? This is more than Carlo, despite half the term, and almost as much as McAvoy. If you're gonna pay the dude big money, why not lock him, up for 6-8 years?
Sep. 4, 2021 at 1:01 a.m.
Sabres are elite
Quoting: MelonVK
You're so close. Tkachuk *is* really good. Nobody else mentioned here is. Also, neither is close to being anything like Ristolainen. Hronek is like a #5 being paid because Detroit doesn't really have anyone better. Ristolainen should be like an #11 on an NHL team.

There are good players on bad teams. Most players on bad teams are bad. Let's try to keep both of those thoughts in our heads at once when evaluating players smile

If you think Hronek is a bottom pair D man and that Risto shouldn't even play in the NHL then you may need some down time to re-evaluate......
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Sep. 4, 2021 at 1:50 a.m.
yippee
Good bridge contract, it’s hard to tell exactly how good Hronek is but we know he’s at least good enough to produce alongside DDK while being overplayed against the highest level of competition. He likely ends up as a very good T4D when he hits his prime and the Wings are competitive, but right now as our 1D he’s well deserving of this paycheck. He’s getting paid a similar amount to guys like Marino and Zaitsev, which is a tier of players he fits squarely into. Some people like to imagine that Detroit’s best defenseman would be a #5 on any other team (tell that to the several Detroit defensemen behind him on the depth chart) but it’s hard to imagine Hronek as a third pairing defenseman on any team unless it’s like the Sergachev situation in Tampa with a blue line stacked to one side.

But seriously, anybody calling Hronek a #5 defenseman has never seen him play. He holds his own against top tier competition on a regular basis, has a great first pass out of the zone, and he’s made some of the sickest empty netters I’ve ever seen (which is surprising when he’s on a team like Detroit that gets so few opportunities at them).

Sorry for making this so long but while I have the opportunity I have to share Hronek’s best empty net goal:
Sep. 4, 2021 at 7:30 a.m.
Good deal, Hronek is Detroit's best D and a solid top 4 guy
mioji and Stevierebz liked this.
Sep. 4, 2021 at 8:17 a.m.
If you think Hronek is a bottom pair D man and that Risto shouldn't even play in the NHL then you may need some down time to re-evaluate......

Ristolainen shouldn't play in the NHL.
mioji and Random2152 liked this.
Sep. 4, 2021 at 9:58 a.m.
Kansler
Quoting: bhavikp27
Ristolainen shouldn't play in the NHL.

Anyone saying this dont know much about hockey.
Sure he has his flaws (mostly defensive mistakes), but he has played in a pisspoor Buffalo team whole his career.
He has 4 seasons over 40 points, can be used on PP and PK.
Is one of the most physical defensemen in the modern era (awerages over 100blocks and 200 hits per fullseason)

And trust me, am not a big Risto fan, but they are going to like him in Philly in a second pairing role with easier 19-20min/game environment.

Hell, I can be wrong but lets check it at the end off the following season.
But saying he shouldnt play in NHL is bull.
Sep. 4, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
Quoting: HelmutCool
Anyone saying this dont know much about hockey.
Sure he has his flaws (mostly defensive mistakes), but he has played in a pisspoor Buffalo team whole his career.
He has 4 seasons over 40 points, can be used on PP and PK.
Is one of the most physical defensemen in the modern era (awerages over 100blocks and 200 hits per fullseason)

And trust me, am not a big Risto fan, but they are going to like him in Philly in a second pairing role with easier 19-20min/game environment.

Hell, I can be wrong but lets check it at the end off the following season.
But saying he shouldnt play in NHL is bull.

"but he has played in a pisspoor Buffalo team whole his career" Maybe one the reasons Buffalo is bad is because they have played Ristolainen 22-27 mins for the past 6 years? Additionally, Jake McCabe has been a good defensemen so the "bad Buffalo team" argument doesn't work here.
"can be used on PP and PK" Many players can be used but it doesn't automatically means they're good where they are being used at.
Physicality is useful if used properly. In Ristolainen case, he is often chasing the puck; that's why he has a 200+ hits and 100+ blocked shots per season.
Random2152 liked this.
Sep. 4, 2021 at 11:39 a.m.
Mioji
Great deal for great D-man. Happy for both, team and Hronek.
Sep. 4, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.
At 23, Hronek is a good 2nd pairing RD playing 1st pairing minutes. Good contract, decent term.
If he fizzles out, the contract isn't long enough to be an anchor. If he grows into a top pairing D, he'll be set to cash in right around his prime.
Sep. 4, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
GO KNIGHTS GO
How bout Minnesota’s new Unis?
Sep. 4, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.
yippee
Quoting: bhavikp27
"but he has played in a pisspoor Buffalo team whole his career" Maybe one the reasons Buffalo is bad is because they have played Ristolainen 22-27 mins for the past 6 years? Additionally, Jake McCabe has been a good defensemen so the "bad Buffalo team" argument doesn't work here.
"can be used on PP and PK" Many players can be used but it doesn't automatically means they're good where they are being used at.
Physicality is useful if used properly. In Ristolainen case, he is often chasing the puck; that's why he has a 200+ hits and 100+ blocked shots per season.

There’s a difference between not being good in a first pairing role and not being NHL caliber. Can you name 192 defensemen that are better than Ristolainen?
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Sep. 4, 2021 at 6:06 p.m.
Watches no games

You're right. Your insights have swayed my opinion, I now agree with you.

Like it's so lazy you don't even present an argument. I don't even know what to tackle here. I guess since you automatically assume guys are fine just cause they have a few points, here are some things to consider:

Never evaluate points in a vacuum. Ristolainens point totals are heavily dependant on him playing on PP1, him playing with Eichel, and him playing 23+ minutes many nights. Any player would score some in those situations. We aren't actually interested in how much Ristolainen scored, but how much he scored compared to what we *expect* a player to score in that situation.

*EVEN* if Ristolainen were to score above expectations, how does that compare to at what rate offense flows back in his direction meanwhile? How do you effectively measure this? If you watched a single minute of Ristolainen you'd know he's extremely prone to blunders, to pointlessly tracking players behind the net, to trying to get physical and getting circumvented, to passing straight into turnovers on what should be breakouts, and the list goes on and on. Any model has him as one of the worst players in the league over the past decade, period, because of those reasons. Ristolainen does not only score below expectation, he wildly increases scoring in his teams direction.

Hronek is just a little bit like this - his numbers are inflated because Detroit doesn't really have anyone else, but his play doesn't have the same large net negative impact.
Sep. 5, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
He's a RHD with a nearly .5 ppg average so far in his career. Even if he doesn't progress as the team gets better, he will still have trade value to a contender needed playoff depth.
Sep. 5, 2021 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: Roysboy72
Can you name 192 defensemen that are better than Ristolainen?

That's a good point. Even if you don't like Risto, saying he's not an NHL calibre d-man is an exaggeration.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit