Forums/NHL Trades

(MTL/ARI) - 2022 conditional 1st round pick and 2024 2nd round pick for Dvorak

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 14, 2021 at 8:41 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: jr400
You may be right. I don't know what Carolina was offering him but a longer term would have meant a higher AAV, and maybe the team didn't want to go there. I am one of those people who believes Aho would not have got $10M at that time. I think you're looking at this with 20/20 hindsight after seeing what he's done since then. Back then he had only put in one elite season so he still had something to prove. Now he's got 3 years of pretty consistent excellence behind him, so I would be willing to pay him a lot more if he was signing now than I would have been then. The risk for the team has gone way down. If his goal was to get to $10M as soon as possible, a bridge contract would have been the best way to do that.

It's hard to say how meaningful the comments were that they made publically at the time, but I remember Waddell saying, "I'm surprised it wasn't more." I thought that meant that he thought Aho was worth more than Montreal gave him, which made me wonder why he wasn't able to sign him. But now that I've seen what he did with Kotkaniemi I wonder if he really meant that to have any chance of success with an offer sheet you need to give the player a lot more than he's worth, which Montreal didn't do. Waddell also said he would have liked to have got him for a longer term, so maybe they weren't talking bridge. Aho said he just wanted to get it done, which sounds like he doesn't have a lot of patience for long negotiations so maybe he didn't want to have to go through it all again in 2 or 3 years, but he wasn't willing to wait 7 or 8 for the chance to earn more so 5 seemed like a good middle ground.

Apologies to the Montreal and Arizona fans who came here to read about Dvorak and don't care about Carolina and Aho. I don't know how to move this discussion to where it belongs without breaking the link to our earlier posts.

What Carolina wouldn't have offered Aho until they had to match his offer-sheet was a massive contract paid out almost entirely in signing bonus money.

A key reason why Aho signed it in the first place.
Sep. 15, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.
Quoting: Remus
Hurricanes receive: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Coyotes receive: 2022 first*, 2024 2nd

Habs receive: Christian Dvorak, 2022 1st, 2022 3rd

I think I know who won

but you are wrong they basically traded

KK and a 2nd for Davorak and a 3rd, i think kk will be a better player.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 17, 2021 at 3:54 p.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: Saskleaf
Still, they have 8 picks in rounds one and 2.

Doesn't move the needle considering that Montreal didn't gave them their 8 picks, if another of their pick becomes something I couldn't care less.
Sep. 18, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: ColonelX
Doesn't move the needle considering that Montreal didn't gave them their 8 picks, if another of their pick becomes something I couldn't care less.

I didn't say Montreal gave them 8 picks. All I said was that they have 8 first or second round picks.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 3:31 p.m.
Banned
As much as I like Dvorak's addition to Montreal, I think this trade makes it pretty clear just how desperate Montreal was after the offersheet. I think Dvorak is worth at least a 2nd round pick, maybe even a 2nd and a 3rd rounder, I think a 1st rounder alone would be a bit much for Dvorak, at least at this point. He'll be a good two-way center for them, but I don't think he completely replaces Phillip Danault's elite defensive/shutdown abilities. He's got 20-25 goal potential, I think 30-goals is pushing it

Not to mention the conditions don't warrant any significant downgrade if they aren't met

Overall, Dvorak makes the Habs better than they were with Kotkaniemi instead, but that doesn't change that Montreal blew it with their third overall pick and are most likely feeling remorseful after what they've been through with Kotkaniemi

I kind of look at it like this: Montreal trades Jesperi Kotkaniemi and a second round pick for Christian Dvorak and a third round pick, in terms of net value that is

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit