Forums/Armchair-GM

Kucheroving Eichel and Kempny

Created by: Eli
Team: 2021-22 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 13, 2021
Published: Sep. 13, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Big cap mess next offseason, but a decent chance at the title, before that, if Eichel's surgery and recovery go well.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Eichel, When healthy
1$750,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Eichel, Jack
  2. Olofsson, Victor ($1,500,000 retained)
BUF
  1. Alexeyev, Alexander
  2. Hathaway, Garnet
  3. Lapierre, Hendrix
  4. Sheary, Conor
  5. 2022 1st round pick (WSH)
  6. 2023 1st round pick (WSH)
  7. 2024 1st round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Condition on each pick: Eichel played five or more playoff games the previous postseason.
WSH
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (BUF)
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (BUF)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (BUF)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
If Eichel has not yet played 10 NHL playoff games by draft day 2023.
BUF
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$69,871,261$472,927$0$11,628,739
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Eichel, When healthy
$750,000$750,000
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 2
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$1,550,000$1,550,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$716,667$716,667
G
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 13, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
Yeah Eichel's not skipping the Olympics just to sit on LTIR until the playoffs
Shibbal18 liked this.
Sep. 13, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
Lmao off. Condition on the picks. You ain't getting those conditions, so your not giving anything of value if those picks aren't in there.

McMichael would be in the trade
Sep. 13, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
Shibbal18
Washington could make a legitimate offer, instead of giving up and dumping a bunch of picks in there
Sep. 13, 2021 at 4:18 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
Lmao off. Condition on the picks. You ain't getting those conditions, so your not giving anything of value if those picks aren't in there.

McMichael would be in the trade

Lapierre>McMichael in terms of ceiling and youth. Lapierre was projected top-five, but was injured at the draft. Has been healthy for a year, now. Over a point a game. McMichael is NHL-ready, so he's less likely to be traded from a team that needs playoff depth. Lapierre is younger, so Buffalo gets more team control out of a similar level center.

A Caps thread yesterday offered McMichael, Alexeyev, and two unprotected 1st picks, plus Eller and Kuznetsov. Rags and Sabres fans thought it was an overpay. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2782463

I think Kuznetsov and Eller could be a decent #1 and #2 center for the Sabres, if they want to push for the playoffs this year, but if Buffalo prefers to rebuild through more drafts, and take another forward or two in the top five, they might see them as a waste of $10M and prefer a chance to get another 1st round pick for Eichel, instead.

At the same time, if Eichel wants surgery, and if his contract is only 80% insured, and if he never comes back, WSH risks giving two blue chip prospects and $10M cash for Victor Olofsson. I like Olofsson's shot, but I wouldn't trade Lapierre for him, one for one. Alexeyev? Maybe.

Quoting: Shibbal18
Washington could make a legitimate offer, instead of giving up and dumping a bunch of picks in there

Thanks. Please check out my explanation to OC above, and/or suggest/post your own.

When the Caps got five late 1st round picks for their young franchise defenseman Scott Stevens, that turned into Sergei Gonchar and Brendan Witt, who helped Washington win its first President's Trophy and make its first trip to the Cup Finals. Gonchar was eventually traded for Shaone Morrisonn, who helped the Caps win their second President's Trophy, before the Sabres signed him. So two top prospects and three conditional first picks for an injured franchise player seems fair to me. Incidentally, Stevens didn't accomplish anything in St. Louis. smile

Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Yeah Eichel's not skipping the Olympics just to sit on LTIR until the playoffs

If his neck is okay, sure. But I thought he just fired his agent to try to push for neck surgery? Did that all go out the window when the NHL announced they're playing in the Olympics? Does Eichel think he and Matthews together can guarantee gold?

It'd take another miracle.

The Caps, plus Eichel and minus nobody important, might have better odds at the '22 Stanley Cup than Team USA has at the '22 Gold. And Eichel, on a contender, finally gets the supporting cast to help him try to outscore Matthews in a regular season next year. Although how the Caps get under the cap to make that happen, I'm not quite sure.
Sep. 13, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.
Sabres Fanatic
Offer starts with McMichael. Sorry dude.
Sep. 13, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: Eli

Thanks. Please check out my explanation to OC above, and/or suggest/post your own.

When the Caps got five late 1st round picks for their young franchise defenseman Scott Stevens, that turned into Sergei Gonchar and Brendan Witt, who helped Washington win its first President's Trophy and make its first trip to the Cup Finals. Gonchar was eventually traded for Shaone Morrisonn, who helped the Caps win their second President's Trophy, before the Sabres signed him. So two top prospects and three conditional first picks for an injured franchise player seems fair to me. Incidentally, Stevens didn't accomplish anything in St. Louis. smile

Stevens left after 78 games, he went on to 4 cup finals and 3 wins with NJ. Ill take the prospects.
Eli liked this.
Sep. 13, 2021 at 5:20 p.m.
Who adds what?
Stevens left after 78 games, he went on to 4 cup finals and 3 wins with NJ. Ill take the prospects.

Details, details. Caps fans prefer to forget some things. smile Who do you think Buffalo needs, out of the Caps' empty cupboard?
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 13, 2021 at 5:24 p.m.
Shibbal18
Details, details. Caps fans prefer to forget some things. smile Who do you think Buffalo needs, out of the Caps' empty cupboard?

McMicheal, 22 1st, Hathaway, and Kuznetsov (who Buffalo flips, so they need need to find a 3rd party)
Eli liked this.
Sep. 13, 2021 at 5:26 p.m.
Lapierre>McMichael in terms of ceiling and youth. Lapierre was projected top-five, but was injured at the draft. Has been healthy for a year, now. Over a point a game. McMichael is NHL-ready, so he's less likely to be traded from a team that needs playoff depth. Lapierre is younger, so Buffalo gets more team control out of a similar level center.

A Caps thread yesterday offered McMichael, Alexeyev, and two unprotected 1st picks, plus Eller and Kuznetsov. Rags and Sabres fans thought it was an overpay. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2782463

I think Kuznetsov and Eller could be a decent #1 and #2 center for the Sabres, if they want to push for the playoffs this year, but if Buffalo prefers to rebuild through more drafts, and take another forward or two in the top five, they might see them as a waste of $10M and prefer a chance to get another 1st round pick for Eichel, instead.

At the same time, if Eichel wants surgery, and if his contract is only 80% insured, and if he never comes back, WSH risks giving two blue chip prospects and $10M cash for Victor Olofsson. I like Olofsson's shot, but I wouldn't trade Lapierre for him, one for one. Alexeyev? Maybe.

If his neck is okay, sure. But I thought he just fired his agent to try to push for neck surgery? Did that all go out the window when the NHL announced they're playing in the Olympics? Does Eichel think he and Matthews together can guarantee gold?

It'd take another miracle.

The Caps, plus Eichel and minus nobody important, might have better odds at the '22 Stanley Cup than Team USA has at the '22 Gold. And Eichel, on a contender, finally gets the supporting cast to help him try to outscore Matthews in a regular season next year. Although how the Caps get under the cap to make that happen, I'm not quite sure.

He fired his agent because Brisson is the best in th3 business and will definitely get him his trade. Refer to Duchene to Ottawa trade, that was basically run by Brisson
Eli liked this.
Sep. 13, 2021 at 5:31 p.m.
Who adds what?
McMicheal, 22 1st, Hathaway, and Kuznetsov (who Buffalo flips, so they need need to find a 3rd party)

That's a lot of value, because I think Kuznetsov played like a #1 the second half of last year, but if Eichel is healthy, I could see the Caps trading Kuznetsov and McMichael for him. I like Hathaway but he's not in the same league with those other three.

You probably noticed, but most teams aren't taking big salaries on for picks, this summer. Minne fans are divided on whether Kuznetsov for Fiala is a one for one. They agree they're not adding a good pick to that. If Eichel is back for the 2022 playoffs, that pick will be very late. Might be better off asking for Alexeyev, Fehervary, or (and I know it's not a need, with Levi and UPL, but) one of the Caps' goalies.

Last summer some Arizona fans wanted Kuznetsov. I haven't kept up with what they're after this year.
Sep. 13, 2021 at 6:39 p.m.

Yeah you're right, everyone else is wrong
Sep. 13, 2021 at 8:27 p.m.
Shibbal18
That's a lot of value, because I think Kuznetsov played like a #1 the second half of last year, but if Eichel is healthy, I could see the Caps trading Kuznetsov and McMichael for him. I like Hathaway but he's not in the same league with those other three.

You probably noticed, but most teams aren't taking big salaries on for picks, this summer. Minne fans are divided on whether Kuznetsov for Fiala is a one for one. They agree they're not adding a good pick to that. If Eichel is back for the 2022 playoffs, that pick will be very late. Might be better off asking for Alexeyev, Fehervary, or (and I know it's not a need, with Levi and UPL, but) one of the Caps' goalies.

Last summer some Arizona fans wanted Kuznetsov. I haven't kept up with what they're after this year.

I doubt Arizona is trading for Kuznetsov now lol
Eli liked this.
Sep. 14, 2021 at 10:18 a.m.
Lapierre>McMichael in terms of ceiling and youth...
Hello my friend, it is ages since I have seen a post from you.
On the conditions, if the Caps do not make the playoffs, then Buffalo has to send the picks?
IMO you are correct the value is there. I would rather do this:
McMichael over Lapierre, I think Connor is closer to NHL ready
Johnson over Alexeyev, I think Alex is better and closer to the NHL, but Buffalo is set at LHD (Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson and Bryson) it needs RHD prospects
I do not see why Hathaway is included. He does not have a bad cap hit, does Washington have a player in mind to fill his spot? His inclusion does not increase the likelihood of Buffalo making this trade
Sheary did not work out as well in Buffalo as I would have liked. I think he was another one of Krueger's casualties. TBH, Buffalo needs RW more then LW even after Olofsson is included. Would you consider Sprong instead of Sheary?
2022 1st round pick (WSH)
2023 1st round pick (WSH)
2024 1st round pick (WSH) Buffalo is not good at drafting, maybe a prospect instead of a pick. More to the point, waiting 3 years to draft someone, who will need 3 more years of seasoning is a long time to wait for a return of an Eichel trade.
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
Yeah you're right, everyone else is wrong
A perfect reply!
GMTD and Bostonbruins liked this.
Sep. 14, 2021 at 5:28 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
Hello my friend, it is ages since I have seen a post from you.
On the conditions, if the Caps do not make the playoffs, then Buffalo has to send the picks?
IMO you are correct the value is there. I would rather do this:
McMichael over Lapierre, I think Connor is closer to NHL ready
Johnson over Alexeyev, I think Alex is better and closer to the NHL, but Buffalo is set at LHD (Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson and Bryson) it needs RHD prospects
I do not see why Hathaway is included. He does not have a bad cap hit, does Washington have a player in mind to fill his spot? His inclusion does not increase the likelihood of Buffalo making this trade
Sheary did not work out as well in Buffalo as I would have liked. I think he was another one of Krueger's casualties. TBH, Buffalo needs RW more then LW even after Olofsson is included. Would you consider Sprong instead of Sheary?
2022 1st round pick (WSH)
2023 1st round pick (WSH)
2024 1st round pick (WSH) Buffalo is not good at drafting, maybe a prospect instead of a pick. More to the point, waiting 3 years to draft someone, who will need 3 more years of seasoning is a long time to wait for a return of an Eichel trade.
A perfect reply!

Great to see you!

Johnson instead of Alexeyev seems fine.

While there are UFAs available to fill in, WSH should be willing to move all of their bottom six forwards except maybe Eller (I'm sentimental about that Cup-winning goal, here) to land a #1C.

Lapierre dangles and makes passes like Adam Oates or Joe Thornton but he needs a year or two to bulk up and work on his shooting.

I personally expect McMichael to be an impact player for the Caps this year and I wouldn't think he's available, but if Buffalo offers a one for one for an injured Eichel, that could change. Realistically, the right-shot right wing who would be hardest for the Caps to move next summer to get under the cap with a healthy Eichel would be the old guy who's owed 16.5M over four years and was on pace for 30 goals again last year. So maybe Oshie, Johnson, Sprong, and McMichael for Eichel? Along with Schultz' contract expiring next summer, that might just allow WSH to keep Kuznetsov, if the cap goes up enough to sign the goalies.

If I'm Buffalo, and I'm fine with a slow rebuild that leads to a long championship window, maybe I'd prefer a package with a lot of prospects and young players, and no picks or cap hits, like Lapierre, Johnson, Sprong, Riat, Johansen, and Vanecek. Sprong, Riat, Johansen, and Vanecek should be NHL ready right now, while Lapierre and Johnson should make more of an impact when they arrive.

Or if Buffalo decides they're done rebuilding and want to make the playoffs without Eichel, and they want a lot of right handed players, WSH could offer Kuznetsov, Oshie, Sprong, Schultz, and Dowd? The last three are right handed. Throw in Johnson and Riat as insurance?
Sep. 14, 2021 at 9:27 p.m.
Great to see you!

Johnson instead of Alexeyev seems fine.

While there are UFAs available to fill in, WSH should be willing to move all of their bottom six forwards except maybe Eller (I'm sentimental about that Cup-winning goal, here) to land a #1C.

Lapierre dangles and makes passes like Adam Oates or Joe Thornton but he needs a year or two to bulk up and work on his shooting.

I personally expect McMichael to be an impact player for the Caps this year and I wouldn't think he's available, but if Buffalo offers a one for one for an injured Eichel, that could change. Realistically, the right-shot right wing who would be hardest for the Caps to move next summer to get under the cap with a healthy Eichel would be the old guy who's owed 16.5M over four years and was on pace for 30 goals again last year. So maybe Oshie, Johnson, Sprong, and McMichael for Eichel? Along with Schultz' contract expiring next summer, that might just allow WSH to keep Kuznetsov, if the cap goes up enough to sign the goalies.

If I'm Buffalo, and I'm fine with a slow rebuild that leads to a long championship window, maybe I'd prefer a package with a lot of prospects and young players, and no picks or cap hits, like Lapierre, Johnson, Sprong, Riat, Johansen, and Vanecek. Sprong, Riat, Johansen, and Vanecek should be NHL ready right now, while Lapierre and Johnson should make more of an impact when they arrive.

Or if Buffalo decides they're done rebuilding and want to make the playoffs without Eichel, and they want a lot of right handed players, WSH could offer Kuznetsov, Oshie, Sprong, Schultz, and Dowd? The last three are right handed. Throw in Johnson and Riat as insurance?
IMO either offer would make Buffalo MUCH better next year.
Oshie is the sort of character player that could lead the team to the playoffs and would more than replace Reinhart.
He along with Sprong would make the Buffalo RW very solid.
Dowd would be the perfect C to bolster the PK.
Shultz would make everyone forget about Ristolainen.
I can only imagine him playing with Dahlin.
Most Buffalo fans would not want that trade, but it would be an exciting team and it fill every hole except GK and a top center.

Your second proposal includes Kuznetsov is significantly better.
If MacLellan were to offer Kuznetsov, Oshie, Sprong, Schultz, Dowd, Johnson and Riat, Buffalo would HAVE to make a trade to get a better GK as that team has solid LW, RW, LHD, RHD and decent centers.
Post the second one and i will look for how many Sabre fans hate it.
They will say, Oshie is too old, Kuznetsov is slipping, Dowd offers nothing, Shultz will leave after one year, no top prospects, no picks, why would Buffalo do that?
Eli, GMTD and Bostonbruins liked this.
Sep. 15, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
IMO either offer would make Buffalo MUCH better next year.
Oshie is the sort of character player that could lead the team to the playoffs and would more than replace Reinhart.
He along with Sprong would make the Buffalo RW very solid.
Dowd would be the perfect C to bolster the PK.
Shultz would make everyone forget about Ristolainen.
I can only imagine him playing with Dahlin.
Most Buffalo fans would not want that trade, but it would be an exciting team and it fill every hole except GK and a top center.

Your second proposal includes Kuznetsov is significantly better.
If MacLellan were to offer Kuznetsov, Oshie, Sprong, Schultz, Dowd, Johnson and Riat, Buffalo would HAVE to make a trade to get a better GK as that team has solid LW, RW, LHD, RHD and decent centers.
Post the second one and i will look for how many Sabre fans hate it.
They will say, Oshie is too old, Kuznetsov is slipping, Dowd offers nothing, Shultz will leave after one year, no top prospects, no picks, why would Buffalo do that?

Good news: I found a way to include Kuznetsov and Oshie in the same trade and not have anyone comment on either of them! smile

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2785561

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll