SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Montréal Canadiens Season Discussion Thread

Sep. 18, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
New season, new thread.
A_Habs_fan, nickthehabsfan, lucal2228 and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 18, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Edited Sep. 18, 2021 at 8:13 p.m.
Here’s a summary of how things have gone in the rookie game today: (so far)

Harvey-Pinard - Myšák - J.Roy
Simoneau - Hillis - Cyr
Ducharme - Kidney - C-A.Roy
Campbell/Caron - Bertuzzi - Sirizzotti
Guhle - Norlinder
Trudeau - Fairbrother
Xhekaj - Dello
Vrbetic
Gravel

Scratches:
Desruisseaux
Hayes
Pilote
Sobolev
Ylönen

Powerplay
Simoneau
J.Roy - Myšák - Harvey-Pinard
Norlinder

C-A.Roy
Hillis - Kidney - Fairbrother
Guhle

Penalty Kill
Cyr - Harvey-Pinard
Campbell - Ducharme
Myšák - Bertuzzi
Hillis

Trudeau - Fairbrother
Guhle - Norlinder
Xhekaj - Dello

C - Rafaël Harvey-Pinard
A - Gianni Fairbrother
A - Kaiden Guhle

GOAL: OTT - 1st/09:05 - C.Reinhardt (1) Snap - ASST: M.Guénette (1) and C.Latimer (1) — OTT 1, MTL 0

GOAL: MTL - 1st/17:29 - W.Trudeau (1) Wraparound - ASST: X.Simoneau (1) and M.Cyr (1) — OTT 1, MTL 1

GOAL: OTT - 2nd/11:07 - SHG - M.Wedman (1) Wrist - ASST: M.Hoelscher (1) — OTT 2, MTL 1

GOAL: MTL - 2nd/19:12 - M.Norlinder (1) Wrist — OTT 2, MTL 2

GOAL: MTL - PPG - 3rd/11:38 - J.Myšák (1) Wrist - ASST: J.Roy (1) and M.Norlinder (1) — OTT 2, MTL 3

GOAL: OTT - 3rd/14:37 - M.Guénette (1) Wrist - ASST: C.Reinhardt (1) and R.Järventie (1) — OTT 3, MTL 3

GOAL: OTT - 3rd/15:09 - M.Kastelic (1) Wrist - ASST: B.Roger (1) and L.Thomson (1) — OTT 4, MTL 3

Final Score:
MTL: 3
OTT: 4

Notes:
- Dello looks solid. Although that’s expected for a guy who’s nearly 2 years older than anyone else on the habs rookie team. He’ll likely be Laval’s 7th D this year.
- Guhle is a man amongst boys, as we all expected.
A_Habs_fan and Remus liked this.
Sep. 18, 2021 at 7:25 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15

Simoneau - Hillis - Cyr
Guhle - Norlinder
Trudeau - Fairbrother
Xhekaj - Dello
Vrbetic
Gravel

Scratches:
Desruisseaux
Hayes
Pilote
Sobolev
Ylönen

Powerplay
Simoneau
Norlinder

C-A.Roy
Guhle

Penalty Kill
Cyr - Harvey-Pinard
Campbell - Ducharme
Myšák - Bertuzzi
Hillis

Trudeau - Fairbrother
Guhle - Norlinder
Xhekaj - Dello

C - Rafaël Harvey-Pinard
A - Gianni Fairbrother
A - Kaiden Guhle

GOAL: OTT - 1st/09:05 - C.Reinhardt (1) Snap - ASST: M.Guénette (1) and C.Latimer (1) — OTT 1, MTL 0

GOAL: MTL - 1st/17:29 - W.Trudeau (1) Wraparound - ASST: X.Simoneau (1) and G.Fairbrother (1) — OTT 1, MTL 1

GOAL: OTT - 2nd/11:07 - SHG - M.Wedman (1) Wrist - ASST: M.Hoelscher (1) — OTT 2, MTL 1

GOAL: MTL - PPG - 3rd/11:38 - J.Myšák (1) Wrist - ASST: J.Roy (1) and M.Norlinder (1) — OTT 2, MTL 3

GOAL: OTT - 3rd/14:37 - M.Guénette (1) Wrist - ASST: C.Reinhardt (1) and R.Järventie (1) — OTT 3, MTL 3

GOAL: OTT - 3rd/15:09 - M.Kastelic (1) Wrist - ASST: B.Roger (1) and L.Thomson (1) — OTT 4, MTL 3

Final Score:

Notes:
- Dello looks solid. Although that’s expected for a guy who’s nearly 2 years older than anyone else on the habs rookie team. He’ll likely be Laval’s 7th D this year.

Anything special you noticed from fairbrother and Trudeau?
Sep. 18, 2021 at 8:26 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: HabsFan77
Anything special you noticed from fairbrother and Trudeau?

They were pretty solid. Trudeau had good offensive instincts on the goal, and he definitely wasn’t an issue defensively. Probably the 2nd best all-around habs defenseman, after Guhle. (Norlinder was really good offensively, but below average defensively)

Fairbrother is really similar to Ben Chiarot, bad penalties and all. His defensive game is a bit raw, since I think he needs to fill out his frame a bit more to play the Chiarot kind of defensive style that he wants to play.
Sep. 18, 2021 at 8:40 p.m.
They were pretty solid. Trudeau had good offensive instincts on the goal, and he definitely wasn’t an issue defensively. Probably the 2nd best all-around habs defenseman, after Guhle. (Norlinder was really good offensively, but below average defensively)

Fairbrother is really similar to Ben Chiarot, bad penalties and all. His defensive game is a bit raw, since I think he needs to fill out his frame a bit more to play the Chiarot kind of defensive style that he wants to play.

Thank you so much. I have both these guys in the gm game, and I wasn't able to watch.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2021 at 9:03 p.m.

Simoneau - Hillis - Cyr
Guhle - Norlinder
Trudeau - Fairbrother
Xhekaj - Dello
Vrbetic
Gravel

Scratches:
Desruisseaux
Hayes
Pilote
Sobolev
Ylönen

Powerplay
Simoneau
Norlinder

C-A.Roy
Guhle

Penalty Kill
Cyr - Harvey-Pinard
Campbell - Ducharme
Myšák - Bertuzzi
Hillis

Trudeau - Fairbrother
Guhle - Norlinder
Xhekaj - Dello

C - Rafaël Harvey-Pinard
A - Gianni Fairbrother
A - Kaiden Guhle

GOAL: MTL - 1st/17:29 - W.Trudeau (1) Wraparound - ASST: X.Simoneau (1) and M.Cyr (1) — OTT 1, MTL 1

Final Score:

Notes:

Well Norlinder seems to have had a good offensive night but wasn’t too good defensively, nice to see Mysak, Roy, Simoneau get points
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 8:45 a.m.
Apparently Ylonen isn’t vaccinated and his quarantine hadn’t ended so that’s why he didn’t play yesterday, Please tell me there’s a logical reason because it’s a good start at ruining a career

SevenLeg, pinslack and Remus liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 8:49 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Apparently Ylonen isn’t vaccinated and his quarantine hadn’t ended so that’s why he didn’t play yesterday, Please tell me there’s a logical reason because it’s a good start at ruining a career

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well this is terrible. Both in the fact that my opinion on him will be forever damaged, as well as all of the logistical issues with having a non-vaccinated person in the organization.

And I thought he was just injured yesterday.
A_Habs_fan and pinslack liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:14 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well this is terrible. Both in the fact that my opinion on him will be forever damaged

Only a Sith deals in absolute
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:19 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: SevenLeg
Only a Sith deals in absolute

And that statement is itself an absolute. squinting with tongue out

My opinion of him will likely be forever damaged. Unless he has some sort of medical situation that I’m unaware of, but I don’t think that’s the case.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:22 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
“Le Rocket jouera 22 de ses 72 matchs cette saison sur le sol américain. Ylönen pourrait donc rater 30 % des matchs de Laval, si la quarantaine fédérale s’applique bel et bien aux joueurs professionnels de hockey.”

Well that’s brutal. Even if you don’t believe in the effectiveness of the vaccine, what on earth do you have to lose by getting it? And by not getting it, as a professional hockey player, you’re going to make your life hell for the next 15 or so years unless you get the vaccine, which you should have done in the first place.
A_Habs_fan, pinslack and Remus liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:23 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
And that statement is itself an absolute. squinting with tongue out

My opinion of him will likely be forever damaged. Unless he has some sort of medical situation that I’m unaware of, but I don’t think that’s the case.

It says there were two unvaccinated prospects and one of them was because of medical problems. It's unclear which is which, but we'll likely get more information at some point.

In the meantime Ylönen will hang out with Mailloux in no man's land.
Kotkaniemi15, A_Habs_fan and Remus liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:26 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Updated Laval lineup:
(After this stuff, and the signing of Kevin Roy)

Laval Rocket:
Harvey-Pinard - Vejdemo - Teasdale
Bourque - Dea - Belzile
Roy - Dauphin - Beaudin/Ylönen
Martel - Hillis - Baddock
Schueneman - Ouellet
Paquette-Bisson - Brook
Fairbrother - Belpedio
Primeau
Bureau-Poulin

Scratches:
Pezzetta
Lucchini
Dello

Also, now I’m wondering if the signing of Kevin Roy is because they knew that they might be without Ylönen for chunks of the season.
A_Habs_fan, lucal2228 and Remus liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:28 a.m.
We know Norlinder was aiming to make the team but I think his performance in the prospect match showed he needs to work on his defence, unless his offence is too good to pass on, he'll play in the Europe this year
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:28 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Updated Laval lineup:
(After this stuff, and the signing of Kevin Roy)

Laval Rocket:
Harvey-Pinard - Vejdemo - Teasdale
Bourque - Dea - Belzile
Roy - Dauphin - Beaudin/Ylönen
Martel - Hillis - Baddock
Schueneman - Ouellet
Paquette-Bisson - Brook
Fairbrother - Belpedio
Primeau
Bureau-Poulin

Scratches:
Pezzetta
Lucchini
Dello

Also, now I’m wondering if the signing of Kevin Roy is because they knew that they might be without Ylönen for chunks of the season.

Poulin always went by simply Kevin Poulin in the NHL
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:31 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
It says there were two unvaccinated prospects and one of them was because of medical problems. It's unclear which is which, but we'll likely get more information at some point.

In the meantime Ylönen will hang out with Mailloux in no man's land.

Well here’s to hoping it is medical, in which case I hope him all the best. Also it only said young players, so there’s a decent chance that we can easily guess who the other guy is.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:36 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Poulin always went by simply Kevin Poulin in the NHL

I usually use players full names if I can find them, same as trying to include the correct accents on player’s names.

ie. the Rocket refer to Tobie Paquette-Bisson as Tobie Bisson

It seems like a lot of hockey players end up going by only one last name because it’s easier, an example being Patrice Bergeron-Cleary, whose full name isn’t common knowledge for an extremely good and popular player.
SevenLeg liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:37 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
We know Norlinder was aiming to make the team but I think his performance in the prospect match showed he needs to work on his defence, unless his offence is too good to pass on, he'll play in the Europe this year

Yeah. Right now he’s better offensively than Erik Gustafsson, but worse defensively. And the habs were barely willing to play Gustafsson at even strength.
A_Habs_fan and SevenLeg liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 10:10 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I usually use players full names if I can find them, same as trying to include the correct accents on player’s names.

ie. the Rocket refer to Tobie Paquette-Bisson as Tobie Bisson

It seems like a lot of hockey players end up going by only one last name because it’s easier, an example being Patrice Bergeron-Cleary, whose full name isn’t common knowledge for an extremely good and popular player.

Unfortunately Iginla is out of the league.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 10:11 a.m.
was lebronisdagoat

Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla lol
A_Habs_fan and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 10:13 a.m.
Quoting: lucal2228
Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla lol

That long?!?! I mean I knew he had some of those but wow
lucal2228 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 11:29 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan

Well I don’t include middle names, lol.
SevenLeg and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 11:44 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
At this time of the year, most teams include all their signed prospects on their NHL.com roster page. The Canadiens didn't add any of them, not even Ryan Poehling, nor Cayden Primeau, Jesse Ylönen, Alex Belzile who have all played last season, but they included Mattias Norlinder.

I guess their goal is to have Norlinder on their main roster unless he does not perform, instead of having Norlinder on their roster only if he performs.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 2:22 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
At this time of the year, most teams include all their signed prospects on their NHL.com roster page. The Canadiens didn't add any of them, not even Ryan Poehling, nor Cayden Primeau, Jesse Ylönen, Alex Belzile who have all played last season, but they included Mattias Norlinder.

I guess their goal is to have Norlinder on their main roster unless he does not perform, instead of having Norlinder on their roster only if he performs.

I doubt that management is the group dealing with the website. They probably have him listed on the roster because they don’t have an option to send him to Laval, so they’ll remove him if/when he doesn’t make the team.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2021 at 9:37 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
So the jerseys that are being auctioned off, I noticed that both Xavier Ouellet jerseys have been bid on by THE_XMAN16, which is Xavier’s Twitter handle. Which is hilarious, and also sort of disappointing.

https://encanpro.ca/encans/tricoloresports/lots/11833
https://encanpro.ca/encans/tricoloresports/lots/11906

And I’d also like to say, the habs rake in hundreds millions of dollars each year, can they not just let their players keep the jerseys? Since Oullet at least clearly wants to keep his, just let them keep their jerseys rather than selling them just to make a quick buck.
SevenLeg and A_Habs_fan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll