SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/22 NHL Season Discussion thread

Oct. 1, 2021 at 4:15 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Just for fun, I’d personally like to see a Hughes-Pettersson-Boeser line. Move Hughes up to wing for a pre season game. He would go from being a “defensive liability” to an elite playmaking forward and everyone would stop hating on him

Quoting: aadoyle
That or be used in very specific situations that dont require dzone coverage. Like a classic example is Barrie who in Edmonton barely plays in the dzone and is mostly put on the ice with Mcdavid to help cover his flaws by helping him to generate points like crazy. To bad Philly does not have anyone like that.

So step 1 as of now for Philly: Get him off the PK

Provorov-Ellis/Sanheim-Braun can be the pk dman

Yeah there are a lot of instances where it makes sense. You can initiate defensemen into the league more quickly, and with less responsibility, by having them play wing on a checking line. They still have to have some defensive responsibility (that's the point of a checking line after all), but they can be matched up against 3rd lines instead of top competition, and if they make a mistake while adjusting to the speed of the pro game, it's not as bad as if they were a defenseman (they can be sheltered in terms of quality of opposition, ice time, and overall role to get them into the league younger, and potentially making an impact sooner). Defensemen that previously were seen as defensive liabilities, especially smooth skating playmakers like Hughes, or physical beasts like Ristolainen, can move to the wing where their other traits can shine and they can produce offense. Hell, the Leafs long-lasting RD issue coulda been solved years ago if they moved Marner back. If he put on a few pounds he wouldn't even be that small, 6'0" 175lbs, get up to 190lbs or so and he's okay. Makar's only 5'11" 187lbs, and Karlsson's only 6'0" 190lbs. Partner Marner with a more defensive big guy like Muzzin and bam, you have a talented, smooth skating, play-driving, right shot defenseman that can run a power play and play 25 minutes a night without being a complete defensive liability. I really don't think it's that difficult for a 2-way forward to move back to D, and it's even easier (in my opinion) for a defenseman to revert to forward, especially wing (faceoffs can be a pain to teach, but a couple summers focussing on it could probably bring them up to speed if they naturally have good reflexes/hand-eye coordination). I did both in my career (2-way RW --> RD --> C). Admittedly I didn't play at a particularly high level or anything, but it was a comfortable transition at my skill level and I was able to thrive among my peers at all positions, so surely the most talented players in the world can handle learning a new skill or two.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 9:18 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: Db1899
I’m gonna guess 8 mill x 6 for Hughes, 8 mill x 3 for pettersson

Crazy overpay on Hughes if accurate
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 9:22 a.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Crazy overpay on Hughes if accurate

That's not an overpay on Hughes in any way, sure he's bad defensively but I'd say that's because he has no help whatsoever, it will be a great deal by the end of that contract
Oct. 1, 2021 at 9:25 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
That's not an overpay on Hughes in any way, sure he's bad defensively but I'd say that's because he has no help whatsoever, it will be a great deal by the end of that contract

I'd say for both parties, himself and the Canucks, a bridge deal would be much better, to give him time to improve his overall game and to EARN his big boy deal
Oct. 1, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
I'd say for both parties, himself and the Canucks, a bridge deal would be much better, to give him time to improve his overall game and to EARN his big boy deal

Dahlin did that and I think the Sabres lost. If have loves an 9X8 deal for him.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
So i can't believe i have to ask this but is John Gibson a cap dump? Because someone is putting a lot of effort into proving it
LGuy54, Saskleaf and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:13 a.m.
TOR V5 GM
So i can't believe i have to ask this but is John Gibson a cap dump? Because someone is putting a lot of effort into proving it

👇
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/517068?post_id=2711454

Thats the argument
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:14 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: LGuy54
👇

Thats the argument

Yeah that guy is the worst
LGuy54, A_Habs_fan, Devil and 2 others liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
Edited Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
👇

Thats the argument

This is literally why I completely avoid AGM these days. There is no way to have a meaningful conversation or debate, whatever you wanna call it.

Imagine believing Koskinen is better than Gibson.

I could name you 20+ teams where Koskinen would be a backup, some of which he wouldn't even be playing in the NHL (namely MTL, DAL, NYR, NYI, VAN, TOR, BOS and many others)
LGuy54, A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:18 a.m.
TOR V5 GM
I could name you 20+ teams where Gibson would be a backup, some of which he wouldn't even be playing in the NHL (namely MTL, DAL, NYR, NYI, VAN, TOR, BOS and many others)

Huh??
MitchMarner_16 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:19 a.m.
This is literally why I completely avoid AGM these days. There is no way to have a meaningful conversation or debate, whatever you wanna call it.

I could name you 20+ teams where Gibson would be a backup, some of which he wouldn't even be playing in the NHL (namely MTL, DAL, NYR, NYI, VAN, TOR, BOS and many others)

You mean Koskinen right?
LGuy54, OldNYIfan, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:22 a.m.
Jinx god

I could name you 20+ teams where Koskinen would be a backup, some of which he wouldn't even be playing in the NHL (namely MTL, DAL, NYR, NYI, VAN, TOR, BOS and many others)

I think you mean Koskinen, but yeah he'd be our 5th best goalie behind Oettinger, Holtby, Bishop and Dobby. So he'd be on our ECHL team.
LGuy54, A_Habs_fan, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:22 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
You mean Koskinen right?

Righttears of joy
LGuy54, A_Habs_fan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
Brace for the Storm

Huh??

You mean Koskinen right?

Quoting: EsoYeezus69
I think you mean Koskinen, but yeah he'd be our 5th best goalie behind Oettinger, Holtby, Bishop and Dobby. So he'd be on our ECHL team.

Righttears of joy

It's now fixed guys, stop panicking everyone laugh
LGuy54, A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
TOR V5 GM
It's now fixed guys, stop panicking everyone laugh

Good
A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:27 a.m.
TOR V5 GM

Dont forget Colton Point and Adam Scheel
EsoYeezus69 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
Who elese, apart from me, is looking forward to the WJC?
EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan and yikes liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.

I am, as a GM Game member, it's a great scouting opportunity
EsoYeezus69, LGuy54 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:37 a.m.
Jinx god
Dont forget Colton Point and Adam Scheel

Point no, he's absolute @ss. If Scheel doesn't play like he did in Traverse City he's probably better than Koskinen, but his showcase at Traverse City was worse than Blake Comeau existing.
LGuy54 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:38 a.m.
TOR V5 GM
Point no, he's absolute ss. If Scheel doesn't play like he did in Traverse City he's probably better than Koskinen, but his showcase at Traverse City was worse than Blake Comeau existing.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT GENERATIONAL TALENT BLAKE COMEAU!!
EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:40 a.m.
Jinx god

I'm existed to see my boy Lukas Cormier play for Team Canada.
LGuy54 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:42 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Yeah the World Juniors are goated. Some of the best hockey of the year/ one of the best times of each year for the sport.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 11:14 a.m.
Ban Price trades

👇

Thats the argument

It took me a few minutes to decide whether or not some of this was worth a warning or an infraction. I'm going to once again go out of a limb for you guys and just informally ask you guys guys smarten up. I have PERSONALLY asked at least one of you to not cut down other users in other threads. His argument is based in statistical truth and one of his posts even references that the ball is strictly in Gibson's court in terms of whether or not he turns things around. All Gibson has right now is a track record and name recognition.

I'm going to extend this grace one last time. This kind of behaviour is what I mean when I tell you guys that this isn't fun for me anymore. If you can't argue a point, are never going to adjust your thinking in wake of new evidence, or jump on the bandwagon and make the entire situation even worse then don't hit the reply button. I'm absolutely fed up with my good will being crapped on. I don't care if you don't like the guy. Put him on your ignore list and move on.
SevenLeg, A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 11:19 a.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
It took me a few minutes to decide whether or not some of this was worth a warning or an infraction. I'm going to once again go out of a limb for you guys and just informally ask you guys guys smarten up. I have PERSONALLY asked at least one of you to not cut down other users in other threads. His argument is based in statistical truth and one of his posts even references that the ball is strictly in Gibson's court in terms of whether or not he turns things around. All Gibson has right now is a track record and name recognition.

I'm going to extend this grace one last time. This kind of behaviour is what I mean when I tell you guys that this isn't fun for me anymore. If you can't argue a point, are never going to adjust your thinking in wake of new evidence, or jump on the bandwagon and make the entire situation even worse then don't hit the reply button. I'm absolutely fed up with my good will being crapped on. I don't care if you don't like the guy. Put him on your ignore list and move on.

May I point out that I said nothing wrong. I only voiced my opinion on where Koskinen would be on our depth charts and I did not voice my opinion on the user.

My post isn’t about anything of what you said so I don’t think you should’ve quoted me.
DNIK914, Saskleaf and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2021 at 11:25 a.m.
Ban Price trades
May I point out that I said nothing wrong. I only voiced my opinion on where Koskinen would be on our depth charts and I did not voice my opinion on the user.

I mean Bishop can't walk and Oettinger didn't make the NHL over the corpse of Braden Holtby. You tell me where the positive contribution to the discussion is.

As an aside, yes someone figuratively pissed in my cornflakes this morning. Sorry if it appears I'm unfairly taking this out on you guys. I'm not mad or blaming any of the four of you: I simply expect better from users with higher postcounts and tenure. You guys drive discussion but want CapFriendly to be a better place to have said discussions? The path forward is clear.
EsoYeezus69, SevenLeg, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll