SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/22 NHL Season Discussion thread

Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:28 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Shawn McKenzie just pronounced Alexis Lafrenière as “Uh-lek-sis Lah-frehn-yay”. How on earth do you screw that up? While the first name mistake is frustrating, it’s at least understandable for an ignorant English speaker. The last name is completely ridiculous. Even if you tried to say it phonetically that’s not even close. In neither English nor French does “ère” make an “ay” sound.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:47 p.m.
Man is Chicago's defense bad

That said Fleury hasnt helped

Really looking like the Flames situation last season
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:41 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69, BeterChiarelli and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:42 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122

Lol, Fleury being out of the net/misplaying the puck, classic
Devil and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:43 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Shawn McKenzie just pronounced Alexis Lafrenière as “Uh-lek-sis Lah-frehn-yay”. How on earth do you screw that up? While the first name mistake is frustrating, it’s at least understandable for an ignorant English speaker. The last name is completely ridiculous. Even if you tried to say it phonetically that’s not even close. In neither English nor French does “ère” make an “ay” sound.

Yeah, it’s super easy to say Lafrenière’s name in French and in English it’s still pretty easy too, there’s no reason to be able to botch it
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, EsoYeezus69, Kotkaniemi15 and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:47 p.m.
What in tarnation
Oof that had to painful for Hintz...
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:52 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: justaBoss
Oof that had to painful for Hintz...

Of f*ck, what happened?
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:53 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

I'm not sure I want to bring politics in this thread once again, but this really doesn't sit well with me.

1. There's a popular belief that Montréal exists on unceded Mohawk lands that has grown in popularity over the last few years. The thing is, actual historians are still debating it. There are proofs that there were, in fact, indigenous people on the island (Hochelaga) at some point in history, but nothing says there were still on it at the time of the foundation in 1642, although those established in Kahnawake and Kanesatake are descendants of fishers and hunters in the nearby area. I understand the meaning of acknowledging lands, but the initiative started in the West Coast of the United States where the colonization/settlement is much more recent than the French coming in the Saint-Lawrence in the beginning of the 1600s.

2. In the wake of all that historical reconstruction and search of truth, the Molson family that own the Montréal Canadiens, built their empire that ranks them among the richest people in Canada today on the back of underpaid and exploited ethnic groups (Irish, French Canadians). They were part of the Château Clique, a group of wealthy families in the Lower Canada with the same ideas of economic development, religion and ethnic supremacy. The most prominent members were John Molson and James McGill, the latter being the founder of McGill University and known slave owner. They have never published any statements, apologies or whatever on it.

Just my two cents though, I don't like when people use history to their advantage just to please the public opinion.
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, yikes, Brian2016 and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:55 p.m.
Farewell
More on the injury bug: Max Pacioretty out 6 weeks for Vegas, Bryan Rust is on IR for the Pens, Varlamov remains out with no timetable, Vince Dunn is day-to-day, Jack Johnson and David Rittich both in COVID protocol.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 7:56 p.m.
Poor MAF. What would he give to bring in Alex Martinez, or any Vegas D for that matter. It's possible his sad % drops by .30 or more this season.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:00 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Brian2016
Poor MAF. What would he give to bring in Alex Martinez, or any Vegas D for that matter. It's possible his sad % drops by .30 or more this season.

Yeah, I really hope he rebounds, but it won't be easy-he has a miserable D in front of him that gives up Grade-A chances by the truckload.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:01 p.m.
Seth Jones after 1 period:
0% corsi
0.0 expected goals %
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: SevenLeg
Just my two cents though, I don't like when people use history to their advantage just to please the public opinion.

It sits worse with me knowing how the Canadiens absolutely torched any semblance of social credibility they could have had this summer between Bergevin's astute lack of any comment regarding the Chicago situation or their selection of Logan Mailloux in the first round.

How do you indulge one aspect of social justice while ultimately burying your head in the sand regarding both claims substantiated or currently in court?
SevenLeg, yikes, PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188 and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:06 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
It sits worse with me knowing how the Canadiens absolutely torched any semblance of social credibility they could have had this summer between Bergevin's astute lack of any comment regarding the Chicago situation or their selection of Logan Mailloux in the first round.

How do you indulge one aspect of social justice while ultimately burying your head in the sand regarding both claims substantiated or currently in court?

This also motivated my previous comment. It's all a pathetic masquerade at this point.
yikes liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

I'm not sure I want to bring politics in this thread once again, but this really doesn't sit well with me.

1. There's a popular belief that Montréal exists on unceded Mohawk lands that has grown in popularity over the last few years. The thing is, actual historians are still debating it. There are proofs that there were, in fact, indigenous people on the island (Hochelaga) at some point in history, but nothing says there were still on it at the time of the foundation in 1642, although those established in Kahnawake and Kanesatake are descendants of fishers and hunters in the nearby area. I understand the meaning of acknowledging lands, but the initiative started in the West Coast of the United States where the colonization/settlement is much more recent than the French coming in the Saint-Lawrence in the beginning of the 1600s.

2. In the wake of all that historical reconstruction and search of truth, the Molson family that own the Montréal Canadiens, built their empire that ranks them among the richest people in Canada today on the back of underpaid and exploited ethnic groups (Irish, French Canadians). They were part of the Château Clique, a group of wealthy families in the Lower Canada with the same ideas of economic development, religion and ethnic supremacy. The most prominent members were John Molson and James McGill, the latter being the founder of McGill University and known slave owner. They have never published any statements, apologies or whatever on it.

Nowadays it’s more about public perception and cancelling someone rather than just actually being a decent honest human who can respectably communicate with differing people of differing opinions while trying to be the best person they can be.

Quite sad.

Leading to;

Never understood the drafting of Mailloux. I respect the opinion that the kid shouldn’t have his life ruined because I agree, he shouldn’t have been banned from the NHL but he shouldn’t have been drafted immediately. What the Canadiens did was just stupid.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: yikes
Nowadays it’s more about public perception and cancelling someone rather than just actually being a decent honest human who can respectably communicate with differing people of differing opinions while trying to be the best person they can be.

It's all about buying peace and tranquility. All the talks are about acknowledging unceded lands while a significant number of the people who lived on these said lands do not have access to clean water in 2021 in the country with the most drinkable water in the world. But hey cool, we have a new home game ceremony full of lies!
yikes, Brian2016 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Of f*ck, what happened?

He got a skate blade to his mouth.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
It's all about buying peace and tranquility. All the talks are about acknowledging unceded lands while a significant number of the people who lived on these said lands do not have access to clean water in 2021 in the country with the most drinkable water in the world. But hey cool, we have a new home game ceremony full of lies!

It’s crazy the lack of literal acknowledgment of how poor conditions are in many parts of Canada for First Nations/ aboriginals (I can’t recall the correct term).

I hope things improve everywhere in the Nation for all people.
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: justaBoss
He got a skate blade to his mouth.

Please tell me he’s not injured.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:15 p.m.

Personally, I watch hockey to escape politics and the woke corporate culture that dominates every aspect of our lives. Shame on Molson for using his organization to virtue signal with empty, meaningless apologies. Straight outta the Nike playbook.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
On a completely different topic, I'm starting to get Erik Karlsson to San Jose vibes from the Seth Jones trade. I know it's a protected 1st and a premature take, but still.
Devil, EsoYeezus69 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Brian2016
Personally, I watch hockey to escape politics and the woke corporate culture that dominates every aspect of our lives. Shame on Molson for using his organization to virtue signal with empty, meaningless apologies. Straight outta the Nike playbook.

Well, well said.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
On a completely different topic, I'm starting to get Erik Karlsson to San Jose vibes from the Seth Jones trade. I know it's a protected 1st and a premature take, but still.

Im getting Calgary flames offseason vibes but yeah I see it
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:19 p.m.
Farewell

I know, right? And the irony is that he's logging more ice time than any other Blackhawk. Poor Fleury-like I said earlier, I really hope he does well, but this defense isn't going to make it easy for him.
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 16, 2021 at 8:19 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Im getting Calgary flames offseason vibes but yeah I see it

Why CGY? Just curious?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll